OtakuBoards

Anticlimactic Bosses

Nony

Anyone who's played enough video games has probably encountered one before. The boss, the big bad, that the game has been eluding to all this time! You finally get to fight them, and then.... it's the most disappointing fight ever. Moments like this essentially ruin the dramatic tension of the game. So what kind of anticlimactic bosses have YOU encountered?

The first thing that comes to mind for me when I think "anticlimactic" is the Sorceress from Spyro 3. The whole game you'd been seeing cutscenes of this evil cuss, and the boss battles before that had been growing exponentially greater, so OF COURSE the Sorceress is gonna be an epic mofo, right?
Nope, totally wrong. The instant you start fighting her, you notice the extremely inappropriate music. It sounds more like you're going for a picnic than fighting the big bad of the game. [spoiler]And this still holds true for the second battle. You think they might redeem themselves when you realize, "Oh hey, that wasn't [i]really[/i] the end! The real end is gonna be GREAT!" But no. :/[/spoiler] She's at least tough enough, but the music completely ruins the atmosphere. And you [i]know[/i] they have epic music on hand, so they definitely could have done better. Edited by Miss Anonymous

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][spoiler]Mithos's final form[/spoiler] in Tales of Symphonia. It's been years since I've played through the game, but I remember [spoiler]his final form[/spoiler] being hilariously easy. I'm unsure if it was [i]supposed[/i] to be like that or not, but...still! I think all I did was back him into the corner of the screen and just whaled on him until he was defeated.

A more recent example would be the final boss fight in Super Paper Mario, against [spoiler]Super Dimentio[/spoiler]. The fight right before that was easy enough, but obviously it was a decoy for the harder fight, right? Wrong. So very very wrong. The Paper Mario series isn't a very difficult game series at all for the most part -- double that for SPM -- but considering how the final boss fight in the previous game took me [i]years[/i] to defeat, the fact that I was able to trounce SPM's final fight in a matter of [i]minutes[/i] was rather jarring.[/font][/color] Edited by Vivian

[quote name='Vivian' date='09 June 2010 - 03:09 PM' timestamp='1276121357' post='694968']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][spoiler]Mithos's final form[/spoiler] in Tales of Symphonia. It's been years since I've played through the game, but I remember [spoiler]his final form[/spoiler] being hilariously easy. I'm unsure if it was [i]supposed[/i] to be like that or not, but...still! I think all I did was back him into the corner of the screen and just whaled on him until he was defeated.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]To be fair with this one, [spoiler]Mithos[/spoiler] Phase 1 was the epitome of an annoying little *****, what with being tiny and delivering status effect after status effect in quick succession while teleporting around the room and poking Raine just as she's about to heal everyone, so it was more like a breather after the "real" boss than an actual anticlimax.

Anyway, the Elite Four in Pokémon SoulSilver were pretty weak, Lance was about the only one who posed half a threat on the first run. Red did not disappoint, though.[/font] Edited by NeedMoarRope

[spoiler] Dr. Birkin's final form[/spoiler] in Resident Evil 2 fits this definition. [spoiler]Nothing but a big blob in a train carriage, a shadow of his former self.[/spoiler] I had more trouble fighting [spoiler] T-80's final form[/spoiler] and I usually have a couple of rockets left after that, which makes [spoiler] Birkin, with his easily avoidable acid "attacks"[/spoiler] that much easier.

Borderlands final boss [spoiler]Destroyer from the Vault[/spoiler]
you go through the fairly long game, and if you are at or above the recommended level you will have no trouble at all. Its not like the games fun stopped at the end... but i just wonder why the thing was so friggen important through the story, since it only takes one person (tops four) to stop it. thankfully adding the general knox expansion gives us a better final boss.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Final boss(es) of Darksiders were a pretty disappointing for me, after having to work out little tricks to take down all the previous bosses [spoiler]Abbadon's final two forms, particularly the Destroyer[/spoiler] segment were far too linear and obvious. Of course the fact I'd already worked out [spoiler]Failbaddon was to be the main villain[/spoiler] didn't help.[/size][/font]

Err... I don't know. I've never really paid much attention to that stuff.

I suppose if you follow a certain no-level up walkthrough in Final Fantasy 8 every boss is a cake walk but then again I find it more fun that way as well so "shrugs"

[quote name='CaNz']Borderlands' final boss [spoiler]Destroyer from the Vault[/spoiler][/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]Seconded, and not just from a difficulty standpoint, either. It's like the story took a ten second awesome boost and then ran out of gas. I was all excited after Baron Flynt because the game was throwing something tactically different at me and I was having to adapt on the fly with less-than-ideal weapons at my disposal, but the sections following weren't as long or as difficult as I was hoping. [spoiler]And then we reach the Vault and I get all excited again for some intrigue concerning Steele and then she's stabbed like Steve Irwin in reverse and all of a sudden we're fighting Cthuthlu's face? And that's it? End of the story, play it again or go to Zombie Island? Way to rush the climax, there, guys. =/[/spoiler][/FONT]

• 1 month later...
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Trasnformers: War for Cybertron's final Autobot boss [spoiler]Trypticon[/spoiler], not that the fight was easy by any stretch of the imagination (although that may have been due to playing on the hardest difficulty from the get-go) what really made the fight anticlimactic was the fact you had to [spoiler]find specific little hidey-holes on the different segments of the map to dodge Tryp's litany of attacks before getting 2/3 seconds every 30 to counterattack and failure to hide during the 27/28 other seconds would result in certain death.[/spoiler] I didn't particularly like the game overall, but as boss fights go that one just felt very contrived and half-polished.[/size][/font]

Every final boss in Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts. [spoiler]Ansem and Xemnas and their million stupid forms[/spoiler] were annoying as hell but weak as hell. The latter being especially easy if you had a nice Final Form.

[color="#4B0082"][font="Arial"]Final boss in Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. Not that he was actually easy but because people over hyped how hard he was so I went in well prepared... A little [i]too [/i] well prepared. A fight that was supposed to take half an hour, if not longer, was over in a few minutes. Literally.

Oh and pretty much every boss in Twilight Princess. As much as I loved how they were done it was still the same old formula of stun, attack, stun, attack... rinse repeat. Rather boring really. [/font][/color]

[color=indigo]The final boss in [b]Final Fantasy X[/b] was extremely easy considering some of the harder battles that you encountered almost immediately before (Sin killed all of you characters if you couldn't finish him off in a fixed amount of moves and Seymour was a pain). Anytime you can defeat a final boss in an RPG the first time makes the whole ending disappointing.[/color]

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud' date='24 July 2010 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1279987026' post='697754'][color="indigo"]Anytime you can defeat a final boss in an RPG the first time makes the whole ending disappointing.[/color]
[/quote]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]
Agreed. I found the more challenging boss was Lady Yunalesca. I had no idea what the zombie status effect did, and I didn't research before going in to fight her. Thus she cast megadeth...megadeath on my characters and that was the end of them and I threw my controller so hard I shattered a vase.

On the other hand, you can make sure you don't easily defeat final bosses in RPGs if you have the option of simply not leveling up much. Unfortunately in Final Fantasy XII, I did virtually everything that could be done and was level 90 when I charged into battle with Lord Vayne and his...whatever it was. ...and he dropped faster than a sack of coal on Christmas morning. Alas. But on the other hand, he might not've been the 'Real' boss, if we can count Omega Weapon.[/color][/size][/font]