College.

Claire

I'm bored.

[list]
[*]What college do you attend?
[*]What are you studying?
[*]Do you live on campus?
[*]If you're not in college yet, where do you want to go?[/list]

Right now I'm going into my second year at the University of South Florida (which isn't actually in southern Florida). I'm majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Music Composition, because those are basically my only options. I'm not good at or interested in anything else. I just don't know what good this degree will be in real life.

I live at home since the school is only twenty minutes or so from my house on a good day. That's pretty much why I decided to go there; I was too scared to go out and live on my own or with strangers.

However, I'm seriously thinking about transferring somewhere else for my junior year. The biggest possibility is University of Florida, depending on whether or not I can get admitted.

And I have a question for experienced collegiates/alumni: is it better to live on campus or off? That is, which option is generally cheaper? If I do go to a new school I will have to pay for housing no matter what, I just want to stick with the better option. Edited by Tonks

[list]

[*]Francis Marion University
[*]Graphic Design(Major)/Music(Minor)
[*]On Campus

[/list]

As for the smarter or cheaper decision...Its better to live on campus especially since you have to pay for it anyway. In fact, some school require first time attenders to live on campus anyway that way they can envelop you into the culture of the school. When you live on campus, the price is included in your school fees so you can see exactly how much you are spending on housing. But as you go further...it might be a good idea to live in an apartment. I have a friend of mine who does that now because the upper classmen housing is super expensive at his school. So as far as living on campus or off campus...it all depends on your school rates and the rates for apartment nearby.

[list]
[*]Pima Community College
[*]Associates in Graphic Design
[*] At Home
[/list]

I'm going on my third year at Pima. You would think earning a Associates in Graphic Design would only take 2 years like the other Associates. It seems however the Graphic's Design course is the longest course they have and can take as long as 4 years. After Pima, I need to go to another school to get my Bachelor in Graphic's Design. University of Arizona has pretty much eliminated my degree at their school. They told me the best choice for me, if I wanted to stay in Tucson, is ITT Technical Institute. If I didn't go there, I would have to go to Phoenix. I don't like Phoenix and I don't know of any Tucsonian that does. Edited by Cat

[quote name='Humaru']
[list][*]Francis Marion University[/list][/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]HOLY CRAP, YOU'RE IN [i]FLORENCE???[/i] I freaking grew up there! Dadgum, what a weird blast.

I'm at Tennessee Tech in Cookeville, which is about halfway between Nashville and Knoxville. (The people here love their -villes, apparently.) Finished my fourth year this past spring, but only my second in the Mechanical Engineering program; spent two years in Music Education, which is about how long it took me to realise that college is job-training and I was training for a job I said I'd never do (which didn't sit well). By default, though, I completed the requirements for a minor in Music, and am debating an additional minor in Mathematics (since our ME program requires so much that I'm literally, like, one or two classes from completing it anyway) and possibly a minor in English if I have the time to swing it. I've lived on campus and in campus housing for the past four years, but I'm really wanting to get an apartment here this coming fall.

Ultimately I want to go into technical writing/editing (the people who put together the manuals for all the complex equipment) because really writing is my strongest discipline, and I'm also tired of getting a new piece of tech only to have it accompanied by a manual that looks like it was put together by a group of inebriated German immigrants.

Yay profiling. :huh:

Unfortunately, my university doesn't offer anything in line with that career path, so I'm probably going to focus in either energy transfer or aerospace, work for a while (or enlist, we'll see) and then go back for a master's in Editing or Journalism or something that'd be useful in that regard. Tentative plan, though; I'll know more the closer I get.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph' date='05 July 2010 - 05:06 PM' timestamp='1278363990' post='696594']
[FONT=Calibri]HOLY CRAP, YOU'RE IN [i]FLORENCE???[/i] I freaking grew up there! Dadgum, what a weird blast.

I'm at Tennessee Tech in Cookeville[/FONT]
[/quote]

Thats cool that you're from Florence, Allamorph. I have friends who live near where you are I believe. They may go to your school but I have no idea.

[b]What college do you attend?

What are you studying?

Do you live on campus?[/b]

-ITT Tech
-Computer Drafting and Design (I WAS SUCKERED)
-Unfortunately they don't do that stuff

Cat, I don't want to scare you or anything, but if you do decide to go to ITT be very cautious. They don't tell you everything nor give you the supplies that's required.... Then again, that's pretty much for my program though. (I hear there's a lot of writing for a Bachelor's program) For $42,000 all I got was a hand drafting kit that was used only one quarter when all of our work is done on the computer... >_> If you have a large class and you need help go to tutoring immediately, but then again I have a bunch of whiners in my class and the instructor's pretty much go to them for the most part. I don't say anything because everything I want to say is not pretty and I will get kicked out.. "coughs" ITT is more of a last resort type of school imo. I couldn't recommend people to go there but then again it's probably just my location.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]To be honest, I really dislike talking about college, mainly 'cause I've changed majors a good three times now, I'm still not sure what to do with my life, and I'm stuck at home while all I ever hear about are how AWESOME!!!!!! people's campus lives are.

Anyway. I attend a local community college, still living at home. As I said, I've gone through three possible majors, general studies, and a weird limbo where I was just taking part time before I decided what the heck I wanted to do. I started with general studies, leaning towards occupational therapy. Simple enough, but the stress got to me and I had to cut down to part time. [And occupational therapy never really sounded interesting to me, anyway.] Then after about two semesters of that, I decided to go into psychology. But then I decided that I wouldn't want to do that either, as I'm not entirely sure I'd want the burden of a bunch of people's problems on my shoulders. While I'm sure I'd have been desensitized to it in due time...I'm not sure it's something I [i]want[/i] to be desensitized to, y'know?

Plus, I've been told I'd have to be good at math for stuff in psychology. AhahahahAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA[b]HAHAHAHAHAHAHA[/b]

Still probably gonna take it as a minor, though, or at least continue taking psych classes. It's very good information to have.

While I've not officially changed majors yet, I'm more than likely going to try creative writing as my major this time around. Although I'm kinda in the same situation as you, Tonks, 'cause I'm not sure where it'll get me, either, if anywhere. But it's a start, at least.

As for transferring out into a university, I've got some that I've been knocking around in my head. It's probably going to be awhile before I can actually transfer, though.[/font][/color] Edited by Vivian

[color="#4B0082"][font="Arial"]University of Utah though technically I'm finished. I'm waiting for graduation next month.

While I was attending I choose to live in a basement apartment close to campus since it was more reasonably priced. Now I'm living with my husband and we have our own home that we're buying. [/font][/color]

[quote name='Magus' date='05 July 2010 - 02:33 PM' timestamp='1278365639' post='696599']
[b]

Cat, I don't want to scare you or anything, but if you do decide to go to ITT be very cautious. They don't tell you everything nor give you the supplies that's required.... Then again, that's pretty much for my program though. (I hear there's a lot of writing for a Bachelor's program) For $42,000 all I got was a hand drafting kit that was used only one quarter when all of our work is done on the computer... >_> If you have a large class and you need help go to tutoring immediately, but then again I have a bunch of whiners in my class and the instructor's pretty much go to them for the most part. I don't say anything because everything I want to say is not pretty and I will get kicked out.. "coughs" ITT is more of a last resort type of school imo. I couldn't recommend people to go there but then again it's probably just my location.
[/quote]

Thank you for the info Magus. From what you tell me its no worse then Pima at the moment. At Pima, they don't give you nothing. It all comes out out of your own pocket. Their financial aid is not reliable either. I have heard mixed feelings about ITT Tech. Some as yourself, have had horrible experiences with it and others have had great experiences. One of my dads friends just graduated from ITT Tech Drafting and Design section and said it was the best, far better then the U of A. (It is recent they have cut the Graphics Programs) I even talked to consular at the U of A and they point me there instead of going to Phoenix. I'm still looking for other options right now. Arizona doesn't have even a good school system whether its basic k-12 or higher education.

[quote name='Vivian' date='05 July 2010 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1278366196' post='696601'][color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]While I've not officially changed majors yet, I'm more than likely going to try creative writing as my major this time around. Although I'm kinda in the same situation as you, Tonks, 'cause I'm not sure where it'll get me, either, if anywhere. But it's a start, at least.[/font][/color][/quote]
The thought of changing majors is pretty terrifying. I haven't even started any of the courses required for this degree yet, but when I imagine getting halfway through my junior year and deciding to change majors I feel like dying. And I'm not even anywhere near that yet!

I honestly have no idea what kind of career is available with a creative writing degree, other than maybe teaching. That would be okay, but it's not really something I want to do. Maybe there are plenty of options that I'm just not aware of.

What I really want to do requires talent and connections rather than a degree from a university, but I'd rather play it safe in school than throw all my eggs into one far-fetched basket.

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Well, I'm officially going back to college in August. I'm actually studying through Open Universities Australia, but most of my subjects are with Griffith University in New South Wales.

It will be very interesting to balance distance education with full-time work! :)

Anyway, I'm starting a Bachelor of Communication, with a view to majoring in Journalism. We'll see how that goes - there are a few majors to choose from and I still have plenty of time to decide.[/font]

[quote name='Cat' date='05 July 2010 - 06:07 PM' timestamp='1278367651' post='696604']
Thank you for the info Magus. From what you tell me its no worse then Pima at the moment. At Pima, they don't give you nothing. It all comes out out of your own pocket. Their financial aid is not reliable either. I have heard mixed feelings about ITT Tech. Some as yourself, have had horrible experiences with it and others have had great experiences. One of my dads friends just graduated from ITT Tech Drafting and Design section and said it was the best, far better then the U of A. (It is recent they have cut the Graphics Programs) I even talked to consular at the U of A and they point me there instead of going to Phoenix. I'm still looking for other options right now. Arizona doesn't have even a good school system whether its basic k-12 or higher education.
[/quote]
Wow, it gotta be because of my location then. Like I said though, I was suckered into Drafting and Design... I had no idea that they were removing multimedia until I got into my fourth quarter and I was never told about visual communications until I transferred over to my current location. I guess I'm so disappointed because all of our work has been nothing but architectural (I hardly have any interest). Barely touched mechanical and haven't had the multimedia side of it... (Orientation, we were told that we'd take a bit of each) Now I'm in my 7th quarter (1 quarter left and then I can do away with this school) and being introduced to a new program where I can design cars in gives me some hope.

[font="Garamond"]What college do you attend?
University of British Columbia, Vancouver campus :D

What are you studying?
A lot of stuff to get requirements out of the way. As of right now I'm undeclared, because we don't really do the Majors thing til after 2nd year and I'm just starting 2nd year this fall. The plan is to go into International Relations with an emphasis on East Asian studies :3

Do you live on campus?
I do! I lived on campus for first year and I'm back in residence for 2nd and I looooooove love love it. Taking rez in first year was the best choice I've probably ever made. Ever. Best year of my life, bar none. Also, my campus is bloody gorgeous :X[/font]

[size="1"][font="Arial"]I attend the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. It's about to be my fourth year, getting a BFA in Art with a Design concentration. [url="http://kevinmccartyart.tumblr.com/"]Here is my portfolio.[/url] Due to getting screwed over with registration, I may have to attend a fifth year or at least half of one. If that's the case, I'm going to attempt to pick up a Communication Studies minor. I don't live on campus, I live with my parents and am saving up to move out with a close friend. I plan on taking a year off once I graduate and then going on to get my MFA under my favorite professor.[/font][/size]

I am currently enrolled as a student at University of Washington, Seattle campus. I just recently graduated from Cascadia Community College, and then I got accepted into UW. Happy days! I don't know what the campus is like yet since I haven't done my Advising & Orientation session yet; have to send in a measles immunization form first. I'm working on that! Gotta get my records first though, which is proving to be a pain.

I'm majoring in Japanese Language & Lit; at least I think that was the official name of it. Basically I want to be a translator. I figure I'm fairly good with the language and I enjoy doing it, so I'm going down that path right now. It's kind of scary at the same time though; a lot of the time I feel my language skills are insufficient. I mean, I'm supposed to make this a career someday, but then there's all these other people who are so much better than me. Sure, I get good grades, but that doesn't mean I'll be good enough to apply my knowledge in the field. My sister tells me I have to stop comparing myself to other people since I'm still learning, but it's hard not to have these thoughts at times.

And heck no I'm not gonna live on campus. The school fees at UW will be fairly cheap considering it's a state school and I'm a resident. But, if you add housing costs to that, the price doubles. There's no effing way I'm doing that. I'll commute, even if it's an annoying commute. Because to be honest, it's not my money that'll be paying for the school fees, it's my parents'. I'm not going to burden them with more than I already have, especially since I live close enough to Seattle to commute anyway.

[quote name='Tonks' date='05 July 2010 - 06:37 PM' timestamp='1278373025' post='696608']
The thought of changing majors is pretty terrifying.
[/quote]

[color=deeppink]I used to be a math/English major because those were things I was good at and because I really wanted to piss people off. I mean, I was never officially doing this because I never actually [i]declared[/i] these majors, but I was still taking the classes.

After a semseter I realized that, of the focuses for English major at my college, the only one I would have liked I was terrible at. I was kind of hoping I'd be able to study the language in and of itself, something I would have enjoyed and been good at, but alas.

Also, all the other English majors were such [i]major asshats.[/i] Seriously. So I dropped the English and tacked on an actuarial focus to the math. Of course, me being me, I just recently started wishing I had gone Psychology instead.[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy' date='07 July 2010 - 10:09 PM' timestamp='1278554976' post='696771']
[color=deeppink]

Also, all the other English majors were such [i]major asshats.[/i] Seriously. [/color]
[/quote]

lololol QFT. I'm an English major and I hate 90% of all English majors [spoiler]ESPECIALLY the creative writing majors[/spoiler] I meet, at least at my school. One of my classes were filled with students who would freak out if you didn't worship their favorite author who is a ~**~~*~**~*~GENIUS 4 THE AGES~*~**~*~~**~ or disagreed with them in class.

I also hate ones that just blather on in class with no textual evidence, but then when you say that they get all butthurt and are like "IT IS WHAT I FEEL IN MY SOUL" or whatever

but then there are AWESOME ONES LIKE ME :D Edited by eleanor

[color="#2E8B57"]Wichita State University

I was very indecisive when I went to college. I went for 3 years. I have enough hours for an anthropology minor and a history minor. I was double majored in business and public relations. I have a passing interest in the PR, but not in the business. I started college as a musical theatre performance major, but I fell off that to a backup plan because I wanted to be able to eat without waiting tables as an adult. I literally have 104 credit hours that cannot be cobbled together for a bachelors because it's so all over the place. On the other hand, I could have like 3 associates degrees...

I lived on campus for 2 years, and it was awesome! I highly recommend it.
[/color] Edited by Molleta

[quote name='Sangome' date='05 July 2010 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1278366196' post='696601']
[color="#9932cc"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]To be honest, I really dislike talking about college, mainly 'cause I've changed majors a good three times now, I'm still not sure what to do with my life, and I'm stuck at home while all I ever hear about are how AWESOME!!!!!! people's campus lives are.[/font][/color][/quote]
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]
I kinda have the same issue. [Only it's more like changed schools 6 times] I had my major requirements changed on me as well, so I've finally decided to join the Navy instead. Plus their 9/11 GI Bill will deal with any college I want later. Generally, dorm life in the Navy will be a bit more interesting than campus life. With the added bonus of bullets.[/color][/size][/font]

College: St. John's University (NYC, queens campus)
Major: Physician Assistant
Dorm: No. The campus is a 30 minute walk away, why bother?

My major is a 4 year program. I should be pretty much guaranteed a job as a Physician Assistant when I'm done. The only problem is that the tuition for my college is off the charts. Spending around 40,000 a year to attend. I'll be neck deep in debt when I graduate. And just to clear up common misconception, a Physician Assistant is not a nurse or a medical assistant. A physician assistant pretty much does everything a Doctor does. The difference is that a MD has a longer education, higher paycheck (not by much unless you're a surgeon or specialist), more legal responsibilities and higher patient load and administrative abilities. Edited by Blue

[color="#4169E1"][size="2"][font="Georgia"]1. Ball State University.
2. I was studying Music Education but then came to a very sudden realization that I do not want to teach. I want to get my MBA with a law degree someday. So I'm switching my major to Music Business.
3. I did for two years. This coming fall I will be living in a townhouse paid for by the school (I have an awesome scholarship). I am quite excited.[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='Blue' date='15 July 2010 - 01:49 AM' timestamp='1279126176' post='697296']
College: St. John's University (NYC, queens campus)
Major: Physician Assistant
[/quote]

Hey cool, our state is trialling the position of Physician's assistants as well - they've shipped a few hundred over from the states for the trial. However it's just a trial, and unsure as to whether the position will even be available, and my uni is running a two year physician's assistant course at the cost of an arm and a leg, without any guarantee at a job at the other end! Rather greedy, I would think.

[color=crimson]What college do you attend?

[s]Miskatonic University[/s]. St. Mary's University. I'm looking at UT for my graduate level courses.

What are you studying?

I am an English major. I plan to finish at a doctoral level and work as a professor.

Do you live on campus?

Not currently. St. Mary's is a twenty minute drive from my house. I will move on campus or in city wherever I end up for my graduate courses.[/color]