OtakuBoards

Magus

Decided to go with a new thread afterall.

[url=http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/07/21/legend-of-korra-the-creators-of-avatar-the-last-airbender-on-the-new-spinoff/][u]Avatar: The Legend of Korra[/u][/url]

If Korra is looking anything like her concept art then I'll definately be onboard. I didn't care much for Aang until the last 4 episodes, and looking at that concept art of Korra makes me think she's one of those strong female types. (Balsa and/or The Major)

[IMG]http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-JI109_korra2_E_20100721162942.jpg[/IMG]

I'm actually a little surprised no one is really talking about this. Anyway, your thoughts?

*Insert fan nerdgasm*

Ahem.

I did not know about this. I would watch this show, buy the dvds and watch those a thousand times if they did it exactly like Avatar: The Last Airbender. This looks good. No wait. Amazing compared to the alternative (I am looking at you The Last Airbender)

Seriously I am looking forward to this.

Now I have to go tell my friends who loved the series.

i will end up watching it eventually... my friends love the series (one watched the whole thing twice and a few episodes as many as five times)
i liked it too... but i wont have a nerdgasim or anything too dramatic. i'll be glad that the movie wasn't the last say in the Avatar series above all else. Edited by CaNz

[b][quote]If thereâ??s a new Avatar, that means Aang has passed on. If he died around age 70, isnâ??t that pretty young for an Avatar?[/b]

[b]Konietzko:[/b] You gotta keep in mind that he was frozen in a state of suspended animation for 100 years, so he kind of burned up some of his extra Avatar time.[/quote]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]
[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"].....Really? That's what their excuse is?[/color][/size][/font]

[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Yes, that is really the only thing I can criticize about this entire situation. And I guess it works out for Katara, she doesn't have to watch herself grow old and die faster than her husband. I guess when there's peace in the world, you have to find some other reason for an Avatar's death, because the Fire Lord wasn't an issue, and I doubt anyone else could've really threatened him.... Le sigh.
[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]But horray! Strong female character will be fun and exciting. I wonder if there will be fun descendants from other characters. Like Fire Lord Zuko and May's kids. I can't imagine how messed up/emo/confused they'll be, but it'll be fun anyway. AND, what kind of animal guide would Korra have? Badgermole for Earth, Dragon for Fire, Skybison for Air, and ....what exactly for water? Giant whale/eel/shark? God I would love to ride a giant whale...[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Raiha' date='23 July 2010 - 11:04 AM' timestamp='1279908250' post='697704']
[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]But horray! Strong female character will be fun and exciting. I wonder if there will be fun descendants from other characters. Like Fire Lord Zuko and May's kids. I can't imagine how messed up/emo/confused they'll be, but it'll be fun anyway. AND, what kind of animal guide would Korra have? Badgermole for Earth, Dragon for Fire, Skybison for Air, and ....what exactly for water? Giant whale/eel/shark? God I would love to ride a giant whale...[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Well, acording to Katara in the third book, the Waterbenders picked it up from the moon.

...I have no idea how that's going to work.[/font] Edited by NeedMoarRope

[quote name='NeedMoarRope' date='23 July 2010 - 12:33 PM' timestamp='1279913637' post='697707']
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Well, acording to Katara in the third book, the Waterbenders picked it up from the moon.[/font][/quote]
[font="Times New Roman"][color="#9932cc"]
[size="3"]I thought they ......damn. Maybe she'll just surf like the other waterbender who taught Avatar Kyoshi. I mean that could be cool. [/size]

...right?[/color][/font]

[quote name='NeedMoarRope' date='23 July 2010 - 03:33 PM' timestamp='1279913637' post='697707']
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Well, acording to Katara in the third book, the Waterbenders picked it up from the moon.

...I have no idea how that's going to work.[/font]
[/quote]

IF they had any it would more then likely be for the south:
[img]http://www.spirit-oasis.com/images/penguins.jpg[/img]
Or the North:
[img]http://www.spirit-oasis.com/images/turtleseal.jpg[/img]

Bare in mind though it isn't ONLY the Avatar that gets an animal guide. All benders got them. With Roku so did Sozin, with Aang so did all the other Air nomads, and as for badger moles I don't recall any earth bender persay walk around with one. Aside from Toph who learned how to bend from them.

[quote name='Burori' date='23 July 2010 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1279916176' post='697709']
as for badger moles I don't recall any earth bender persay walk around with one. Aside from Toph who learned how to bend from them.
[/quote][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]

In the Blind Bandit episode, ....was it 4 or 5? There was a badgermole and an earthbender cleaning the fighting platform. And...that's as far as I can go with that one. Although if I were an earth bender I would DEFINITELY walk around with a badgermole.

All the time. And I would sing the SECRET TUNNEL! SECRET TUNNEL! song as much as humanly possible, to drive the people around me insane. Wait, I already do that.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Raiha' date='23 July 2010 - 04:18 PM' timestamp='1279916326' post='697710']

In the Blind Bandit episode, ....was it 4 or 5? There was a badgermole and an earthbender cleaning the fighting platform. And...that's as far as I can go with that one. Although if I were an earth bender I would DEFINITELY walk around with a badgermole.

All the time. And I would sing the SECRET TUNNEL! SECRET TUNNEL! song as much as humanly possible, to drive the people around me insane. Wait, I already do that.[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

That is true. But bare in mind that was the only scene. Throughout the entire earth kingdom the ONLY earth bender (And I am not sure if he is one) The Earth King of Ba sing Sa had a Bear as a companion.

I think at most with the badger bear in Blind Bandit was just doing its job.

im totally down with trolling on Avatar... but i since this threads not about the last airbender... i wont immediately guess its ripping off pokemon.[spoiler]there is bad language in that picture! my banner is offended!!1[/spoiler] Edited by CaNz

[quote name='Citric' date='24 July 2010 - 12:16 PM' timestamp='1279988174' post='697756']
[img]http://i25.tinypic.com/2rm9rhv.jpg[/img]

that's all I have to say about this.
[/quote]

I don't agree to that statement though. He doesn't battle his teachers for one. Sokka doesn't want to jump into every female (Nurse Joy or Police Jenny) as well Sokka is the comic relief.

I hardly recall Brock doing anything memorable funny aside from his horny lusts to get pootang. Also it is just 2 women that Sokka loved. ([spoiler]and one dies[/spoiler])

Oh and not to mention they don't go around throwing Pokeballs at the Fire/Water/Air/Earth Nation. Edited by Burori

[quote name='Citric' date='24 July 2010 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1279988174' post='697756']
[img]http://i25.tinypic.com/2rm9rhv.jpg[/img]

that's all I have to say about this.
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Don't forget about how Aang gains a new female companion every season and the last one is shipped off to parts unknown for who knows what.

Wait, Katara stayed part of the group for the entire series? Even after Toph and Suki joined up? Unreal.[/font]

At 1st I almost didn't get it. The comparison just wasn't clicking (especially because I never watched Pokemon. Only an episode or 2) but I suppose it does sound a little similar (just a little) but they really have nothing in common. Burori already covered everything so I won't echo what's been already stated.

• 1 year later...
[center]Well, I figured I'd go ahead and revive this since there's a trailer out.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGnN1DBDxaw[/media][/center]

It looks like Korra has a polar bear/dog thing, and I must say that I like it! The animation looks spectacular, as well! Everything seems to be very fluid and well choreographed.

• 7 months later...
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Watched the first two episodes and while I'm disappointed Tim Curry has been replaced by Steve "Every character I voice sounds the same" Blum i quite enjoyed it overall. Tenzin is probably my favourite character so far, if only for the little whirlwinds he stirs up when he swishes his cloak.[/font]

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm.. Much like the Avatar: TLA, the animation is the draw point for me, but Korra is taking a while to get used to. I find her to be far better than Aang as a likeable character, but she's still on quite the annoying side. I suppose I can cut her some slack considering she's been cooped up, but her brash attitude is annoying.

In any case, the little competition or sporting event they have going is very entertaining, but that's due to good animation and whatnot.

I'm definately looking forward to how this play out.

• 4 weeks later...
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#9900ff]I do think this thread deserves a bump.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#9900FF]So despite being one of the three people on the face of the Earth who couldn't get into its parent series to save her life [which is a cardinal sin in many circles], I decided to give this a shot anyway. Episode 1 was...really underwhelming. I then gave episode 2 a very begrudging shot, and then by episode 3 I was hooked. I'm really anticipating on seeing how this plays out. I like pretty much all of the characters, although there's some I am kind of meh on. But we're only five episodes in, and I know these people can pull it off, so I'm sure my qualms will be settled in due time. It's even enough to make me give its parent series a second shake, which I keep saying I'm going to do but I keep putting it off. Soon, though! Honest![/color][/size][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#9900FF][spoiler]Also Team Bolin for life[/spoiler][/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1336595233' post='711712']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#9900FF][spoiler]Also Team Bolin for life[/spoiler][/color][/font]
[/quote]
Thisthisthis

One thing I've found is that the villain in this series seems genuinely more frightening than any in the first. Azula was pretty much the only antagonist in TLA that I ever thought was worthy of being called one, in my opinion. Maybe Zhao at some point, but not for long. Amon, however, creeps me the heck out every time he shows up and [spoiler]his powers scared me half to death when they were revealed.[/spoiler]

I've also noticed that things seem to be handled more realistically. [spoiler]Korra was caught by police, something that never really happened to Aang unless it was a plot device. Plays the Avatar Card? Toph's daughter doesn't care about your status, she just knows you wrecked a neighborhood. But on that note, it seems to me that Lin Beifong is being kind of overly-hostile toward Korra.[/spoiler]