OtakuBoards

OB bringing back memories?

Elk

So I was looking through my inbox because I haven't been on the OB in a long time, and I found a lot of little things that remind me of how young I was when I started this.
I'm now 18 and I joined the OB when I was 11. I have messages telling me Happy Birthday on my 12th birthday. It seems so strange.
Either way, it's interesting to see what I used to be into and what I used to be like.
Do any of you guys use the OB to keep track of your progress? Or had any trips down memory lane if you just recently came back to the OB after being a long time member?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color="#A0522D"][font="Arial"]I don't even remember when I first started here. This Aug '01 is misleading, the forums moved or restarted at one time or something and whatnot, not to mention I changed my name (+1 Internets to any oldbies that remember my first name). I had to have been like 13 or 14, and I'm 24 now. Given, I haven't been at OB that whole time by any stretch of the imagination, but yeah ...

There's a lot of nostalgia here for sure. I know in another topic someone mention that OB practically raised them, lol, and that's really not too far from the truth. A lot of awesome memories here, and made some great friends.[/font][/color]

It's strange, but yeah I guess the OB dide raise a lot of us in some form or fashion.
The forum did have to reset at some point, because I remember the most users online ever changed, and it is now a lower number than it was before with a different date.

[quote name='Elk' date='24 July 2010 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1280025294' post='697829']The forum did have to reset at some point, because I remember the most users online ever changed, and it is now a lower number than it was before with a different date.[/quote]
[color="#A0522D"][font="Arial"]I mean prior to Aug '01. The [i]original[/i] OB. Back then it was still part of theOtaku, I think ... like theotaku.com/forums or something, and not its own domain. When it became otakuboards.com everyone had to re-register.

Before your time, kiddo. :P

I've been trying to find any existence of what OB used to be back then. I know there used to be a site which sort of archived different sites, but I can't seem to find anything like that.

edit - Found it: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://theotaku.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi You can't delve into any of the individual forums or anything, but yeah.[/font][/color] Edited by PiroMunkie

I have a lot of memories from way back when, but most of them are just of sitting in a dark room on my own. Woohoo. And making ten thousand cups of tea waiting for pages to load.

However I can probably thank OB rpg-ing for my now-awesome typing speed, with which I landed a job as a medical transcriptionist when I moved to the big smoke. Who would have thought all those late school nights I was actually developing valuable skills?

[url="http://www.ted.com/talks/jane_mcgonigal_gaming_can_make_a_better_world.html"]Well, apart from Jane McGonigal.[/url]

I started when I was 13, and I'm now 15. (16 in October.) I've been here for 2 years and I love this place. I'm ashamed of some of my earlier posts, and I'm sure I'll be ashamed of some future ones, but meh. These forums are like a second home, as dorky as that may sound. I'm glad to have joined! Heck, I even got a few siblings out of it! :biggrin:

[quote name='chibi-master' date='25 July 2010 - 03:19 PM' timestamp='1280089161' post='697888']I'm ashamed of some of my earlier posts ...[/quote]
[color="#A0522D"][font="Arial"]I used to abuse the :P smiley like it was going out of style, so don't feel too bad.[/font][/color]

[quote name='PiroMunkie' date='26 July 2010 - 12:03 AM' timestamp='1280116984' post='697907']
[color="#A0522D"][font="Arial"]I used to abuse the :P smiley like it was going out of style, so don't feel too bad.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
I spammed a thread telling my friend not to spam the thread or she would get in trouble with Rach. We both got in trouble, and I felt so stupid. We both sent apology PMs, as I recall... :blink:

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I've kept most of my PMs over the years, so I still have a huge amount of v3-related stuff. Unfortunately all the pre-v3 stuff was lost. :( (Well, [i]fortunately[/i], in many cases, haha).[/font]

I first came to Otakuboards when I was 14 years old under the name Cat14. I'm now 20. There was a point where I didn't log on for a year or so. I had a lot of problems and I didn't have the time. Eventually, I ended up coming back here all over again. I noticed, not only have my post style changed, but I have from certain areas of the forums to another. For example, when I first started out I stayed in the Anime/manga area, from there I moved to the music/tv/entertainment area, and now I stay mostly in the Lounge/Art Studio. I also hate looking at my old post. They are an eye sore. Of course, these probably are not any better. I think this is also the only forum I go to anymore. I use to go to 5 or 6 different forums a day when I was younger.

[quote name='James' date='26 July 2010 - 02:26 AM' timestamp='1280125594' post='697917']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]I've kept most of my PMs over the years, so I still have a huge amount of v3-related stuff. Unfortunately all the pre-v3 stuff was lost. :( (Well, [i]fortunately[/i], in many cases, haha).[/font]
[/quote]

Oh so that is why I lost my 666 PMs lol

:sweatdrop: [quote name='Cat' date='26 July 2010 - 12:39 AM' timestamp='1280126376' post='697918']
I also hate looking at my old post. They are an eye sore.
[/quote]

I feel the same way about my old post and pms. I know, when I look back on these, I will feel the same, but right now I get so embarresed at some of my older post.
I like to te=rack my progress though. My spelling has improved vastly. And I am more mature, if only slightly. :sweatdrop:

[quote name='PiroMunkie' date='24 July 2010 - 08:31 PM' timestamp='1279999873' post='697781']
[color="#A0522D"][font="Arial"]I changed my name (+1 Internets to any oldbies that remember my first name).[/font][/color]
[/quote]
PiroMunkie13 or something very close to that is as far back as I can recall.

And, for the record, I had a "WTF?!?!~~!!??" moment when I saw you were the last reply in this thread a moment ago.

-Justin

[quote name='Lady Shy' date='27 July 2010 - 04:04 PM' timestamp='1280261095' post='698030']But in my earliest posts I behaved like an escalated just-joined chibi-master. :pout:
[/quote]
You make my brain hurt with such an outlandish description... [i]Escalated[/i], you say? Is that even possible?! :wacko:

[quote name='Justin' date='27 July 2010 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1280263988' post='698035']
PiroMunkie13 or something very close to that is as far back as I can recall.

And, for the record, I had a "WTF?!?!~~!!??" moment when I saw you were the last reply in this thread a moment ago.

-Justin
[/quote]
[color="#A0522D"][font="Arial"]Ha! You wish it was that easy.

Yeah, I saw some posts by you when browsing and was just like "Hey I remember that guy!" lol.[/font][/color]

[quote name='PiroMunkie' date='28 July 2010 - 12:13 AM' timestamp='1280272410' post='698048']
[color="#A0522D"][font="Arial"]Ha! You wish it was that easy.

Yeah, I saw some posts by you when browsing and was just like "Hey I remember that guy!" lol.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I don't know if it's just probability at work, or what, but there's does seem to be a recent surge in oldies taking the old bike out for a spin lately. It's mildly encouraging.

That said, I think we should hire kuja to come back for one last collective eyeroll.

-Justin Edited by Justin

[quote name='Lady Shy' date='27 July 2010 - 04:04 PM' timestamp='1280261095' post='698030']
I have a solution for above problem. I regularly scan my last 100 posts nowadays to delete anything discluding major funny and/or awesome. Which is about 0,0001% on average, but it must be done.

But in my earliest posts I behaved like an escalated just-joined chibi-master. :pout:
[/quote]

brb doing this

[SIZE=1]I grew up here, lol. I was fourteen, I originally registered January 15, 2001. The art forum was where you would usually find me, then Dragonball, video games, and the lounge.

Nowadays I haven't been on much because I recently moved a little over a month ago and I still don't have a computer hooked up at the moment. I can steal some wifi from some unexpecting neighbor in my apartment building with my Wii though...however I haven't had the time.[/SIZE]

[size="1"][font="Arial"]I originally joined right after V3 first started. It was light blue and purple or something, wasn't it? And then V4 was gray and black. Before I even had internet, my then-best friend showed me the boards back when they were in the first version. I registered as Cloud Strife00, and then changed my name years later to Axel--Ignition. Later on, another close friend of mine joined and he dated a girl we RP'd with. I made some good RP's and some really spammy ones, I got called out for one in a stickied mod post and I freaked out and left. A few years later, Dragon Warrior asked me to join again so I joined some RP's with him, and left when I stopped having time. When I had time again, I made a new account, RiflesAtRecess, which got changed to this name eventually. I was/am really into music and posted about it and got into arguments about it, woooo. I had made a lot of friends who stuck with me for a while, including one who lives near me and we're good friends outside of the internet, haha. I still talk to Clurr and Tony/Semjaza here pretty often. Tony is married now![/font][/size]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Chalking up nine years of membership here in September, though I did stalk V2 whenever TheO went down for a while.

I tend to be a bit OCD as far as my PMs go, so sadly the only ones I've kept are those from people when I joined OB's staff and some relating to this years Nifty Fifty. Usually seeing an old face will set me off on a nostalgia binge (as seeing your name did Piro) though I tend to avoid looking at my early posts out of sheer shame at their contents, although every once in a while I do break that rule as a sort of shameful pleasure just to see how much things have changed over the years, and yet stay relatively the same. Still chat with those oldies who I'm still in contact with whenever I see them on AIM/MSN.[/size][/font]

Now that I gave in and returned from my two-year hiatus to this forum, I've been going through the old RPGs I've created - namely, the Survivor and the Death Card series - and reminiscing on those times. Looking back, I can see how arrogant and even cold I many times appeared, even though in real life I'm really not that kind of a person. I can also see loads of ambition and pride in my younger self, but mostly I can see how much fun I had with the RPGs.

I, too, grew up from a teenager into an adult with OB, and this place was a very important part of my life for six years. Having stayed away for two years has been good for me, allowed me to see different types of online communities and greatly expand my social circles in real life. Now I feel like I don't really need OB the way I needed it anymore, but it's still a bittersweet feeling to come back here and see how so many things have changed, yet the core essence has stayed the same.

I don't think I'm the same drama-inducing online personality I was years ago, but I certainly won't ever forget that I was once like that. XD Edited by Sandy