OtakuBoards

E3 2012

Magus

It is that time again (Man, 2012 is halfway done already). I don't know what to say since the event don't start until Monday. Uh, what are you looking forward to seeing?

So far Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 are the only games I've seen that's going to be at the event. Not that I did it intentionally, but I haven't been keeping up with the games this year, so now there's no excuse for games to have lack that hype factor for me... At least that's what I'm hoping for.

Anyway

[media]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-metal-gear/730759[/media]

[media]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-castlevania-lords/730750[/media]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#9900ff]Paper Mario 3DS/Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton: Miracle Mask release dates are my primary interests. Some more Wii U info will be nice as well. Maybe more info on Smash Bros Wii U/3DS?[/color][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#9900FF]I'm also kinda interested in that Sony mascot fighting game that everyone keeps screaming about being a Smash Bros ripoff. I'm actually genuinely interested in who all's gonna be in it.[/color][/font]

[color=#008080][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif][size=4]Definitely wanting to see the new Metal Gear game and hoping that the new Castlevania will be good. Kojima rarely misses, so I don't expect anything less than stellar on this project. [/size][/font][/color]

I want E3 2012 to have new infos about Beyond Good & Evil 2, Half Life 3 and Doom 4. :( But as for stuff that's more likely to come around, I am interested in Borderlands 2. Hopefully they'll manage to take all the good stuff from the game and then add some more playability to it.

Plus, this wub wub trailer did a lot for me.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrAWsSnpgPg[/media] Edited by Boo

So E3 has already begun on Spike with the Xbox and, so far Halo 4 and Splinter Cell: Blacklist are must have's for me.

[media]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-splinter-cell/730933[/media]

[media]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-halo-4/730925[/media] Edited by Magus

[left]I was so disappointed about the show this year. Microsoft and Nintendo totally dropped the ball this year. Microsoft for the second year in a row basically announced no exclusives besides Halo 4. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 was a given, but that's multi-console so I don't know why Microsoft got to hog the announcement to themselves. Nintendo, as expected, talked about the WiiU and promoted their new Nintendoworld feature. But there wasn't anything really stellar.

Overall this year was just a snooze fest for E3. All the games that I'm excited for coming out I've known about for a while and new trailers and stuff like that isn't really gonna push me over the edge to buying that title.

E3, I am disappoint.

[img]http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/ggj7ginMiL0/hqdefault.jpg[/img][/left]

[color=#4B0082]PlanetSide 2 has really been the highlight of the show for me. I played the first one for about a year and had a lot of fun, but it definitely had its problems and limitations. Not to mention, you had to pay $13 a month for it, so after a while, it just became not worth it to me as a poor teenager. PS2 looks like it fixes basically everything bad about the first one, right down to being completely free to play, and then adds a ton of new stuff on top of that.

Between Guild Wars 2 and PlanetSide 2 both coming out later this year, I find myself barely caring about the Wii U or other console games. I wonder if I'm turning into one of those elitist PC gamer snobs.[/color]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]After watching the tapes from most of the developers and two of the big three, sadly enough; I really didn't find much to sink my teeth into. The titles I am looking forward to included: [/font][list]
[*][font=times new roman, times, serif][b][i]Assassin's Creed III[/i][/b][/font]
[*][font=times new roman, times, serif][b][i]Splinter Cell: Blacklist[/i][/b][/font]
[*][font=times new roman, times, serif][b][i]The Last Of Us[/i][/b][/font]
[*][font=times new roman, times, serif][b][i]DmC: Devil May Cry[/i][/b][/font]
[*][font=times new roman, times, serif][b][i]Dance Central 3[/i][/b][/font]
[*][font=times new roman, times, serif][b][i]FarCry 3[/i][/b][/font]
[/list]
[font=times new roman, times, serif]There were some that really got me going like:[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]Finding out the fact that EA gave Criterion the keys to [b][i]Need For Speed: Most Wanted[/i][/b], which I found to be quite interesting. Take the free roaming aspect of the original and inject tons of [b][i]Burnout [/i][/b][i][b]Paradise [/b][/i]into the formula, I think I'll enjoy taking on the town of angry hornets behind the wheel of the Shelby Mustang.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]Quantic Dream has a penchant for writting some really interesting plots, fell in love with [b][i]Fahrenheit[/i][/b] and [i][b]Heavy Rain[/b][/i]. The whole megacinamatic feel of their projects makes their games worth playing/watching. After watching the footage of [b][i]Beyond: Two Souls[/i][/b], I might have a reason to fire up the ps3 after SSX next year.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]But Ubi really knocked it out of the park with [b][i]Watch_Dogs[/i][/b]. The approach of the game is familiar territory but attacked with a new moveset, fell in love with the whole cyberpunk theme and how the city can be used alongside the conventional weaponry to get to the goal.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]The rest of the conference seemed to be a snoozefest this year, to be honest.[/font]

Aside from stuff that was already mentioned, I think [b]Dishonored[/b] looks pretty damn cool. The range of powers is cool, and it seems as if the developers are all about encouraging players to experiment and find crazy ways to deal with the missions. Also totally digging the style of the world.

And I hope [b]Tomb Raider[/b] cribs as much from [b]Uncharted[/b] as possible while also improving on the formula. Should be pretty fun, even though I am lol'ing at the emphasis placed on Lara Croft's "vulnerability." I'm not even offended; it's an interesting angle to explore, but lol no subtlety lol.

I finally got around to watching the rest of E3, and like many others have posted, E3 as a whole was definately underwhelming. So much talk about stuff I could careless about. Then again, when it comes to all the side gadgetry stuff I tend to get bored and ignore it. To me, E3 is all about games.

Lemme see

Assassin's Creed 3
Watchdog
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Halo 4
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
Metal Gear Rising: Revengance

Yeah, there weren't many games that really caught my attention shown this year. I'm on the fence about Tomb Raider. I've never been much of a fan of the series to begin with and at the same time I'm not a fan of survival games. I'm not entirely sure if this Tomb Raider is about survival and whatnot, but the more I see it, the more I'm getting convinced into wanting it.

God of War: Ascension (that word don't look right at all), I'm not really excited about because, to me God of War ended at 3. And I still haven't played 3, but even then, I thought there were already 2 prequels? Anyway, at this point I would think this game is being dragged out.

DMC, meh, gotta be honest here. I am one of those that'll get upset over appearances and whatnot, I'm not the type who'll make death threats because of them. My issue with the look is that this "Dante" looked like he was some druggy, not to mention that this Dante just so happens to look almost like the head guy at Ninja Theory so I was definately not feeling this game, but then I got over the look and paid more attention to the way it plays and it actually looks like it can be a lot of fun. With that being said, I still feel that there was no need for a reboot. Anyway, I watched an interview over at Gametrailers, and Capcom said something along the lines of this game could determine the future of a direct sequel to this game or a direct sequel of the previous DMC games..... My thing with that then is why waste fans time with this reboot in the 1st place?

Kinda wanted to see more Vita games because right now I have no reason to buy one yet. If anything I'd probably just buy a PSP.

Oh, Watchdogs just might be the best game to ever be made. Edited by Magus

[quote name='Magus' timestamp='1339327159' post='711987']My issue with the look is that this "Dante" looked like he was some druggy, not to mention that this Dante just so happens to look almost like the head guy at Ninja Theory so I was definately not feeling this game, but then I got over the look and paid more attention to the way it plays and it actually looks like it can be a lot of fun. With that being said, I still feel that there was no need for a reboot.
[/quote]I for one am glad they decided to ditch the white hair look for at least one game. It's pretty much one of the main reasons why I decided not to play the Witcher (2). Don't know why, but I can't stand main characters that have white hair like that. This character, however has a more European vibe to him that I could relate to more than some pseudo-albino. So for people like me who have decided never to play a DMC game, I guess a reboot makes sense. Not that [i]I[/i] will play it now, because the entire story and everything is probably still balls, but still. Edited by Boo

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#9900ff]I got my information on Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Sony All Stars Battle Royale, so I at least got most of what I came for. But otherwise, everything was just horribly underwhelming for the most part. It's sad when Ubisoft completely dominated the big three, and I've never even played any of their games. In fact, as the Ninty fangirl, Nintendo's conference was a [i]huge [/i]bore and letdown. They managed to make the Wii U not sound very appealing at all [and I'm speaking as someone who has been on board with it since they revealed it last year], and the Nintendo Land thing just sounds like Wii Sports/Fit/Play with Nintendo characters. And that took up like half of the conference![/color][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#9900FF]I also just realized that we never got the release date/localization announcement for the next Professor Layton like we have for the past two E3s, so now that worries me. Frig.[/color][/font]

[font=palatino linotype]I still have to digest a lot of the E3 info, but for me, the actual press conferences were somewhat disappointing. I think Nintendo really had the opportunity to lead the show with Wii U, but they were very conservative in terms of only showing off stuff that is relevant for 2012. They likely could have displayed some in-progress 2013 content - and I think that would have made a big difference.

Nonetheless, I'm very interested in Wii U. I think it has huge potential, and simply being able to play Nintendo titles in HD (finally) will be nice. Very very interested in Pikmin 3, as well. That, Nintendo Land and Zombi U were probably my most-anticipated Wii U games coming out of the show.

In terms of MS and Sony, the press conferences didn't do much for me, but there are specific games that I'm very interested in. The Last of Us looks absolutely stunning (no surprises there), and I think it shows that "current generation" games can still wow us in terms of graphics.

I am also now [i]really[/i] keen on Halo 4. The early stuff I'd seen looked a bit questionable, but the latest gameplay footage... wow. It just looks so atmospheric. I know it's a little blasphemous, but I'm anticipating Halo 4 more than Reach. I just think this fresh take on the franchise is probably what it needed. The hints of Metroid Prime are definitely helping, too.[/font]