OtakuBoards

How do you perfer your anime?

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
Well how do you perfer your anime? Do you like it subbed do you like it dubbed. Do you watch it in its original format Raw without any subtitles and just the japanese? Which do you perfer, basically I want to know why?

Personally I perfer my anime Subbed instead of dubbed. In most cases the dubbed script does not follow the original script and alters the story for its own purpose. The only thing that probably was good altered and dubbed was Robotech but thats just my opinion on the matter. Also I do watch anime without subtitles since I am able to translate much of the Japanese language track. Overall though I perfer reading my anime then translating it myself.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Squashed Snail [/i]
[B]Well I don't know the difference in 'subbed' and 'subbed' really.... So I'll just say I like it the way it is on television now... in which form do they show anime on t.v.? [/B][/QUOTE]

they show it dubbed, and subbed is when its sub-titled

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by () [/i]
[B]Well I like it tottaly uncensored/unaltered and dubbed.I wanna WATCH the anime not read it...:rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree. I want an uncut (completely uncut), but still dubbed. The only times I liked watching it subbed was shen I saw SailorStars and with Weiß Kreuz. But I really prefer dubbed. I wish companies didn't slaughter the shows when they dub them. Like Cardcaptors, why couldn't they just change the stupid voices? The US version was more like a summary of the japanese version. I hate that......I just want english voices!!!!!:flaming:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by () [/i]
[B]Well I like it tottaly uncensored/unaltered and dubbed.I wanna WATCH the anime not read it...:rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

yea! :p :rolleyes: :D

although subs are okay they can get really annoying if you keep getting destracted or something cause you miss out on what's going on. at least if it's dubbed then if u have to move or turn your head you can still hear it...

subbed is usually way better. and I don't seem to have a problem w/ reading and watching the animation at the same time:rolleyes:. it's not the same watching dubs as it is subs. hearing the actual language helps me think that the anime is actually supposed to NOT be somewhere in America or Europe (if that even makes sense). the Japanese voices usually fit the characters better than the dubbed ones anyway. however, I don't mind watching dubs if it's dubbed pretty good. subtitles is just my preference.

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
Well it seems that its still a pretty even debate, I still perfer subbed any day to dubbed. But I also watch the Raw version does anyone also watch it just with the Japanese language and interpert it!

[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=1]I can't speak a bit of Japanese, and really, really don't like to read unless I have to. Most of the times, I simply prefer to just watch the anime dubbed in English. I am too lazy to watch a movie and read the text, and since I am normally doing like three other things at the time, I can't always watch the screen =P

There are changes in story if it is dubbed, this I know, but honestly, I really could care less =) I prefer to watch the anime, the artwork, and not really have to pay too much attention to the text. Just my opinion though ^_^ [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick Hunter [/i]
[B]Well it seems that its still a pretty even debate, I still perfer subbed any day to dubbed. But I also watch the Raw version does anyone also watch it just with the Japanese language and interpert it! [/B][/QUOTE]

I sometimes watch anime raw, I can sometimes pick up on whats generally going on, no easy task though, lol....

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
Thanks for the recommendations Gohan however I currently have all of those on dvd and even the old sub title vhs copies!

Most of the time I will watch something subbed, then go back and watch it dubbed, and then go back and watch it both(DVD). I like to watch it both b/c you can really see the difference between the two. But with my way I'm pretty sure I'll understand it.

:smoke:

Guest RacerX1017
I like it subbed because as someone already stated it follows the original script where as in the dubbed version the dialog is changed (sometimes slightly sometime hugely) :o

Guest Jabroni3:16
I must Say Dubbed on this one, like many people before me said, i enjoy watching movies/shows rather than reading them, hell if i wanted to read, i'd read a book, besides many people watch it for it's animation not for the way the voices sound. Most Dubs tell the audience what the story is trying to say, there are those that can be mis-leading though. The only Sub i liked better than the Dub was Vampire Hunter D, the sound in that movie was just horrible, not to mention the voices, that must be the only anime i like that way, other than that i am a Dub type of guy. I try to watch only UnEdited Anime, because those that are, are ruined. One thing that i'd like to point out to all your Sub-lovers, Vampire Hunter D: BloodLust is origanally in English so you'll really be hearing the origanal diologe. (Note: Vampire Hunter D: Blood lust is the recently released [on video and DVD] sequal to Vampire Hunter D) Also on the VHD:B note, i bought the DVD the day it was released and i must say, that movie kicked my *** the first time i saw it and i am REALLY glad i bought it, best purchase i have made in a LONG time, go see it if you get the chance!!!

I have a question for all you subbies (subbed-fans)....why? What's so great about it being subbed, beside the fact that it's not editied. I mean....just to me, japanese voices never seem to fit characters. Anime peoples always look so american, the ***. voices are always REALLY high, or really low, or it's just weird. It doesn't sound like the voice that person would have. An american person speaking japanese would still sound like an american person.<----again, I say American because anime people sure don't look japanese to me. I mean no offense in this post. I'm really just curious WHY subbed is so much better.

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
Here is an example that will prove your theory wrong, first off I know more than one anime that is dubbed in which the womens voice are even more high pitched.

Evidence A:
Mihoshi from Tenchi Muyo has a high pitched voice in both voice tracks

Evidence B:
Sailor Moon English Dub also has way too many high pitched voices

The reason why many people like it subbed is because it is not altered or tainted in anyway and it really is the way anime was meant to be watched. English Dub versions of anime even the ones that claim to be fully uncut do happend to cut parts out or alter the story ideas.

I guess it depends on how you like watching it personally I find watching the Subbed version better but on many occassions I have to watch both tracks to make a fair anime review on the series or movie!