OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy X-2

Semjaza

[color=lightblue]Well, I've had this game since the beginning of December, and I'm currently in the New Game+. I found this game very enjoyable, really, but maybe that's because it had a feminine touch.^^

I should admit though, the game is not only for girls, even if all the playable characters happen to be female, you really don't notice it much. The new battle system is much more enjoyable, especially if you hate spending a lot of time on battles. The ATB system just goes so much faster, and it's also much more exciting.

The dresspheres are actually pretty simple. There are different classes, and each one learns 20 permanant abilites. To use the abilities though, you must either be in that class, or equip a garment grid or accesory that allows you to use them. It's tons of fun to experiment with, and I personally love watching the transformation sequences.^^()

The storyline isn't as well done as FFX, but it's still a pretty good one. Nothing major, just lessons about life and a story to go with it. It's a short game if you don't do the sidequests, but if you include them all, it adds to the storyline and lengthens the game.

The graphics are basically the same as X, but the music is completely different. It's more upbeat and modern, and done by not Nobuo Uematsu, but Takahito Eguchi and Noriko Matsueda. This actually bothered me that Nobuo wasn't doing the music, but it turned out I enjoy the songs in this game just as much as any other Final Fantasy.

Anyways, overall this was a good game, a bit short, but still fun. There are at least six endings to the game, but I'd suggest just getting the "Good Ending," if you're going to bother with one.

In conclusion, I'd recommend the game if you're just dying for another class game, and want to expand the story of FFX a bit more.[/color]

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The storyline was lacking alot...until you discover what happened behind Shuyin and Lenne...then again...the game flow was pretty much visit every area in every chapter...see what has changed since Final Fantasy X...and do a mission if there is one...there wasn't a storyline for the main characters...but there was one for Shuyin and Lenne...which was pretty much like a Romeo and Juliet kind of feel with a Final Fantasy touch...you know...now that I look back...Square broke a lot of Final Fantasy traditions...

Ok well I'm in chapter 2 and when I went to dig in the southern expanse, some big bastard with 333,000+ HP blindsided me. He's not really...hard, and he doesn't heal after battle, he just ejeects me after I do a couple thousand damage. Anyway, my friend told me that you fight him later in the game (chapter 4 or 5 or something) in a real mission, but in that one he has multiple parts and attacks. When I fight him now in chapter 2, all he has is a physical attack that does around 300 before I cast protect, and a move that ejects me out of battle. My question was if I beat him now (after a bajillion fights), will he still pop up later in the game? Or if I beat him down to 100hp will he have that much life later too? Maybe beating him now will boost me 40 levels or something heh, and if all else, you can swipe a megalixir from him every fight. It'd help if I know whether it weakens him to win in chapter 2. I don't want to go through 100 battles and have him give no exp or something gah.

I suggest you wait til later. I asked a question alot like the one your asking on another board.
1) You will never EVER beat him until later in the game. He is way to hard at the point you are at
2) Its worth the wait.

Thats pretty much it, do not waste your time move on with the game and go back and kick him around the desert later in the game.

I dunno about never, it'd just take...I dunno, 300 battles or so heh, yeah I guess that is a lot...damn. I'll just stock up on megalixirs and $$ (he gives 1800 or so each time) and go on. Besides, if I DID beat him it'd just level me up a ton and then it'd take away a lot of the challenge. Anywhoo another bikanel desert question, what is the point of the coins I pick up? I'm getting different coins...can't remember any of their names, but they don't show up in the item/key item list so I'm not sure if there's a point to em.

Good Question [spoiler] Its for a game called sphere break that is the "new blitzball' during the off season. You should go to the town that holds the blitzball tournaments and go tot he old Besaid Aurauchs locker room, they have an explanation there that you can hear. [/spoiler]

BTW that isnt really a story spoiler, just something pretty uneventfult hat happens, but tis still something.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WW2 [/i]
[B]Well I'm at Chapter 5 right now and only have 67% complete.[/B][/QUOTE]
[size=1]I just started chapter 5 and I only have thirty-something percent completed, it's kind of sad, really. But the less I complete now, the more I'll be able to do when I replay it with New Game+.

I love the dress sphere's and ATB battle system, and in many ways I think they are superior to the original sphere grid of FFX. There is a lot more room for customization, so it can be fun to see what happens to "useless" classes like Songstress and Gun Mage when you build them up a bit.

My only real complaint with the new battle system is that it can be [i]too[/i] fast at times, and the difference between winning and losing a battle may only be a second or two. I'm a world class nerd, so my reflxes are pretty quick -- but there are a lot of people who don't have the capacity to work out detailed combat strategies in a three-second period. I doubt anyone under the age of 13 could handle the combat system as it is. Still, if you can figure out how to use chain attacks to your advantage then you shouldn't have a problem with battles.

The storyline isn't nearly as epic as the one presented in the first game, but this game is really [i]Yuna's[/i] story, and not Spira. Since I haven't completed the game yet, I can't say how everything wraps together at the end, but everything seems to fit together pretty well so far. Just remembering the history of Spira, it is interesting how [spoiler]the Machina War 1,000 years ago was the result of a rift between the people of Spira, and following the defeat of Sin people risk repeating the same mistake. Lenne's backstory is very interesting, but I've yet to see how it will directory effect Yuna's journey.[/spoiler]

Aside from Yuna, who comes across as being too much Rikku at times, every character is portrayed perfectly. There are a few new characters that keep things interesting, but my favorite parts of the game involved checking up on Yuna's former guardians. [spoiler]I haven't gotten to see Auron yet, but maybe he'll make a little cameo in the Farplane.[/spoiler]

Graphically this is almost the exact same as FFX, but at times it does seem like a much less polished product. The facial movements don't seem to match the dialogue as well as they did in the first game, and so far there has been a significantly smaller number of Square's trademarked cut-scenes. The voice acting is excellent, as it was in FFX, but it does seem like they stuck with a smaller, and presumably cheaper group of voice actors this time around. Being the nerd that I am, I recognized a few of the voices from cartoons that I had grown up watching, including Rob Paulsen, who does the voice of Yakko on [i]Animaniacs[/i].

The mission-based gameplay is nice, but it ends up becoming extremely linear near the end of the game. There a few interesting mini-games, but the real meat and bones of this game is the battle system.

All in all, I highly recommend this game to anyone who was a fan of the original. I'm afraid that anyone new to the FFX-universe may be very confused by this installment, since a lot of the story is based on major events that happened in the first game. Simple things like a Chappu reference really pay off for those of us who went through Yuna's first journey, but a newbie isn't going to find it nearly as enjoyable.

So yes, FFX is 20 bucks... go get that, and when you're done you can play FFX-2. Real Emotion is a darn good song, too.

-Shy[/size]

The monster: It will not effect it's HP no matter everytime you defeat it. In a certain part of the game, if you chose to side with the Youth league, go to Bevelle to go through a gautlet of people. Very good EXP boosters :D.

Train at the calm lands, it'll be to at least medium-hard battles. So you'll be ready for the many other battles you'll face... (if you did every side-quest in chapter 1, you cannot get Cat nip which is a very powerful accessory,)

THe coins are for a new game called sphere break. Its very complicating, so I don't play that game much.

The good thing about New game+ is that you can get the same accessory over and over again, 3 cat nips and 3 iron dukes are really overkill, but it really helps (considering now that Yuna, Paine, and Rikku can destroy most bosses in 3 hits even without leveling up XD). I really hate Mount Gazaget side quests. But in the other hand, Mi'hen highroad quests are fun *wink wink*. FF X-2 will never get old.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shy [/i]
[B][size=1]I just started chapter 5 and I only have thirty-something percent completed, it's kind of sad, really. But the less I complete now, the more I'll be able to do when I replay it with New Game+.[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]Egads Shy! I am not even through Chapter 1 yet and I am already well over twenty percent complete!...[/color]

[B][size=1]My only real complaint with the new battle system is that it can be [i]too[/i] fast at times, and the difference between winning and losing a battle may only be a second or two. I'm a world class nerd, so my reflxes are pretty quick -- but there are a lot of people who don't have the capacity to work out detailed combat strategies in a three-second period. I doubt anyone under the age of 13 could handle the combat system as it is. Still, if you can figure out how to use chain attacks to your advantage then you shouldn't have a problem with battles.
[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]I actually had to become acclamated to the swiftness of the battle system. Fortunatly you can change the speed of the ATB system until you are used to it. However, it does help to have the system at full speed because (like you stated) it helps encourage chain attacks...[/color]

[color=silver]I thought it was kind of cheesy at first(Yuna.. a pop singer?) but I grew to like the game.

I just beat the game last night. I didn't do many sidequests/sidemissions this time around, so I only completed with 40-something percent. I'm going to start another game and try to get 100% this time.[/color]

[color=indigo]I was able to beat him in Chapter 1 but it took a load of time and patience. Once you get the creature?s HP below a certain level if he sweeps you off of the map he regenerates that energy. I beat it by getting its HP down about one third, getting swept off and then I came back attacked. I started the battle by using a chocobo wing to cast haste on my entire party and I continually chained together gunner?s trigger happy attacks until it died. It didn?t work until I acquired the ?trigger happy lv.3? ability though?[/color]

[B][size=1]. Real Emotion is a darn good song, too.

-Shy[/size][/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]I couldn't agree more.

Theres only one thing that no one else has covered that I havent liked about the game, I get bored of the dress spheres [i]very[/i] fast. In my opinon you shouldnt be able to chose what spell to learn next and you shouldnt be able to know what the new skill was. I lose all the fun knowing what im getting.

Everyone has already covered my thoughts.

Great game.[/size]

That monster... isn't that the one the big cacti was tlaking about in Cactaur nation in Chapter 3? The one that's gonna attack them because they sealed it away.

Well if that is the one you're talking about, when you get to that part, that large cacti (I forget her name, starts with a M I believe) tells you to look for the 10 gatekeepers, (which are Cactuars :P) and they'll seal the monster away again.

But don't ask me, I'm stuck at that monster in the Thunder Plains you meet before Yuna can have her concert. *cries*

[EDIT]Off topic: Sphere break is easy really, you just need a LOT of practice and good math skills.

Heh, Digital Monster is right, Vegna gun was a weapon left over from the ancient machina war.
Heh, so its safe to say it was built before FFX.

As for the Magus sisters, all you have to do is deplete their HP with your attacks.......:D

But it is best to focus all of your attacks on one sister and defeat her, preventing their Delta Attack Overdrive.

Other than that, thats all the advice I have for ya.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay i need help with soemthing. In order to get 100% I need to do this:

How do you help breed the monkeys!?

No seriously, how are you supposed to do it? I go up and 'talk' to the little buggers and tyr and make them head towards another monkey i think they'd be swell with but they won't go the way i wnat them too. (which is expected). So, is that what i'm supposed to do or is there soemthing else?

Unfortunatly you need to help those little monkeys before the end of chapter 3. I couldn't do it and I got bored so i created two different files from where I was (the one trying to finish breeding monkeys is also trying to win the sphere break tournament. the other file is trying to find all the cactaurs and beat the magus sisters).

That brings to another question, where do you find the 7th cactaur, Chiapa?

Please and thank you in advance.

There is a certain order in breeding the monkeys. The first monkey is in the room where you foght Lady Yunalesca in FFX. ( past the room where Cid is and past the room with all the chests). You'll know its the right monkey because it will have hearts over it's head.

The Names on the left are the monkeys you have to pick up nad the ones on the right are their matches

Birch Sequioa
Spring Autumn
Dusky Dawne
Rosemary Thyme
Terran Skye
Minni Max
Summer Winter
Peke Valli
Canis Felina
Arroh Quivrr
Golde Sylva
Luna Sol

[color=CC0000][size=1]Okay, can all of you guys carry on as you are, but please add the designated spoiler tags to your posts where neccassary... can't spell... it's fun working out things for myself. In fact I don't even think it's out in the UK yet, bleh.[/size][/color]

There are two secrets you can discover at the Chocobo Ranch (the Amazing Chocobo and a secret dungeon) by sending out 3 chocobos of level 1 and having them return, then doing the same with level 2 chocobos, all the way up to level 5 chocobos. Can they be the same chocobos? That is, if I send three level 1 chocobos and have them return, then level them up to level 2, send them out, have them return, level them up to level 3, etc., will I still get the Amazing Chocobo and gain access to the secret dungeon?

• 2 weeks later...
i can help but he's really easy if you kmow he's an easy boss theres one with more then twice his hp maybe even 5 times well on too this i have a book you'll wanna use any of the listed dress spheres dark knight, gunner samurai or berseker and someone as a healer i keep yuna as my healer of my group and i keep paine and rikku as my main attackersyou might be able to blind him so do that so his physical attacks don't workand if anyones hp is a danger szone heal after he uses flame breath btw i'm in chapter 5