OtakuBoards

<<<Final Fantastic Survivor>>>

Sandy

OoC: Meeps! Now I have to last past [i]this[/i] round so I can get to Spira--I wanna go to Spira sooooo bad! *quietly freaks out* LOL! :D
Never forget your sense of humor, people--you lose weight when you laugh. /_~
~~~~~~~
Auron casually rested in the cockpit of the Ragnarok.
Rinoa and Zell were already racing out to greet their home world, chuckling and sharing old stories of their triumphs. Cecil was about to join them, but paused, and looked back at Auron.
[color=teal]"Not coming, old man?"[/color]
Auron cocked his good eyebrow. [color=crimson]"Walk the mortal coil a decade longer than everyone else and suddenly you're ancient,"[/color] he grumbled kindly. [color=crimson]"No,"[/color] he said louder, [color=crimson]"I think I shall wait here for Cid. Of all the worlds we've been to so far, this is the one I know nothing about. It would be safer, wiser, for me to stay here."[/color]
Cecil's eyes crinkled in amusement. [color=teal]"Wisdom I get, but when has safety ever been an issue with you?"[/color]
From just outside: [color=blue]"Cecil, Auron, hurry up before--"[/color]
[color=orangered][b][i]"HOTDOGS!!!!!!"[/i][/b][/color] Zell's happy scream rented the air. Cecil and Auron winced at the noise.
Rinoa groaned. [color=blue]"Never mind...."[/color]
[color=teal]"You sure you don't want to come outside?"[/color]
Auron sighed good naturedly. [color=crimson]"I suppose it wouldn't hurt to explore a little."[/color] He followed Cecil to the ramp.
[color=blue]"Oh look, it's Auron!"[/color] Rinoa waved cheerfully. Zell tried to talk around his mouthful of hotdogs, without luck.
[color=blue]"Good to see you."[/color]
Auron shouldered his sword. [color=crimson]"Yes, Cecil talked me into...coming out."[/color]
Zell choked on his hotdogs. After coughing a few times, he waved his hand to show he was ok, hiding his grin. [color=orangered]"Auron, I didn't know you were--ow!"[/color]
Rinoa had silenced him with a slap to the back of his head.
[color=crimson]"Were what?"[/color]
Rinoa pinked from embarrassment. Auron looked completely blank.
[color=crimson]"All I did was come out of the airship."[/color] He gestured toward it, as if it held all the answers.
[color=orangered]"Is that what they call it now--OW!"[/color]
Auron looked at Cecil. [color=crimson]"Fine, the old man is really...[i]really[/i] lost."[/color]
Cecil scratched the back of his head nervously. [color=teal]"Remember when Zell and Sephiroth had to play Romeo and Juliet?"[/color]
[color=crimson]"Of course, I...I..."[/color] Auron suddenly got very quiet. His good eye widened noticably and his ears tinged red.
After a moment of silence, Auron cleared his throat gruffly, then threw an awkward arm around Cecil's shoulder. [color=crimson]"Well, I guess they found us out...uh, honey."[/color]
Rinoa and Zell's eyes were so wide Auron was half afraid they would pop right out. At first, Cecil looked the same, but Auron's broad wink clued him in.
[color=teal]"Yes, uhm, Aurie darlin', let us, ah, freshen ourselves before Cid shows up."[/color] Arm in arm they disappeared up the ramp and the hatch closed behind them.
Rinoa and Zell just gaped.

[i]Ten Minutes Later...[/i]
Cecil and Auron finally had their laughing under control, their sides aching, their eyes tearing up.
[color=teal]"Ha ha ha, oh, are they still, hee hee, gaping out there?"[/color]
Auron risked a glance out a portal and fell into a new bout of chuckling. [color=crimson]"I've never seen jaws so, heh heh heh, wide."[/color]
[color=teal]"Should we tell 'em, 'Aurie darling'?"[/color]
[color=crimson]"Sooheeheeoon enough, 'honey'..."[/color]

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=orangered]"Was he [i]serious[/i]?!??"[/color] Zell murmured, still gaping at the disappeared "couple". [color=orangered]"I mean, c'mon!! I was KIDDING!!"[/color]

[color=blue]"I'm sure they didn't mean... umm..."[/color] Rinoa paused, trying to think of something to say. [color=blue]"Oh my..."[/color]

Zell, finally managing to get over his surprise, picked up another few hotdogs and stuffed them into his mouth. [color=orangered]"Mmmmphmphhpmphpmhph!"[/color]

[color=blue]"What?"[/color]

Zell tried to swallow, hacking and choking a few times, before finally managing as Rinoa slapped him across the back. [color=blue]"Zell, you're going to make yourself sick..."[/color]

[color=orangered]"I know."[/color]

Rinoa's reponse was to sigh. [color=blue]"As long as you do..."[/color]

Zell paused, looking guilty for a slight moment. [color=orangered]"You don't think I hurt their feelings do you?"[/color]

Rinoa paused, looking down slightly before looking up towards Zell, who was obviously concerned. [color=blue]"Weeeeell... Maybe a little..."[/color]

Decisively, Zell nodded. [color=orangered]"Then I'm gonna go apologise!"[/color] He picked up two hotdogs as making up gift/bribes and headed after Cecil and Auron into the Ragnarok, Rinoa following close behind.

OoC: I hope no one's taking offense to any of this--I'm just having fun while I wait for the next challenge! /_^ And sorry Cecil and Zell...I had to use [i]someone[/i] to replace our comic Zidane...heh heh, sorry!
~~~~~~~~~
[color=teal]"...so I told him that wasn't a Malboro, that's my Chocobo!"[/color] Cecil burst into laughter, barely able to contain it any longer.
[color=crimson]"Hmph."[/color]
[color=teal]"Well, you sure lost your only shred of humor pretty fast,"[/color] Cecil mumbled.
[color=crimson]"Perhaps we should...reveal our joke. It would be unwise for them to think that..."[/color] Auron's eartips reddened slightly again.
Cecil raised an eyebrow in amusement and stood up. [color=teal]"Allow me."[/color]
After a moment, Auron got up to follow him. [color=crimson]"I started it. I best finish it."[/color]

Zell was racing up the ramp faster than he liked, but there was a sense of urgency. He juggled the hotdogs, making sure to take a firmer grip on the one that was slipping out of his grasp.
[color=blue]"Zell, wait!"[/color]
[color=orangered]"Can't wait--must make peace!"[/color]
Zell kept running at top speed.
He was lost to sight for a second; that's when Rinoa heard him yelp in shock. Rinoa ran up the ramp after him.

[color=crimson]"Cecil, I--"[/color]
[color=blue]"Zell, I--"[/color]
Both Auron and Rinoa paused in mid-combined sentence as they stared at the unbelievable sight before them. Cecil and Zell had run straight into each other, and were now caught in a tangle of arms and legs. Given the current state of mind on all the players...
Cecil stared at Rinoa and Zell blinked at Auron.
[color=teal]"This[/color] [color=orangered]is[/color] [color=teal]not[/color] [color=orangered]what[/color] [color=teal]it[/color] [color=orangered]looks[/color] [color=teal]like,[/color] [color=orangered]I[/color] [color=teal]swear!"[/color] they both hollered at once.
Rinoa was already in a fit of laughter and Auron's eye nearly closed, he was chuckling so hard.
[color=blue]"Awww, but you two look so cute together!"[/color] Rinoa cooed.
[color=orangered]"Truce, truce!"[/color] Zell squealed in panic. [color=orangered]"Look, I even brought uneaten hotdogs to seal the deal!"[/color]
[color=crimson]"My, he [i]is[/i] serious,"[/color] Auron said with great amusement. [color=crimson]"All right, all right, come up, both of you."[/color]
Cecil and Zell untangled themselves, and the four Survivors enjoyed a snack of hotdogs, munching quietly for a few minutes.
Zell broke the silence, pointing to Cecil and Auron. [color=orangered]"But, uh, really, are you two, you know--OW!"[/color]
[color=blue]"Cecil, you beat me to it!"[/color] Rinoa complained.

[b]OOC:[/b] Well, I'm amused *laughs* You're funny Ginny, has anyone ever told you that?? O_O! *cackles*
~~~
Zell rubbed at the back of his head, aiming annoyed glances between Rinoa and Cecil. And when Auron was also heard to chuckle quietly, a glare flew his way. [color=orangered]"Can't you take a joke?"[/color]
[color=crimson]"Like you did?"[/color] Auron couldn't help another chuckle as Zell's face reddened. There was a pause before Auron spoke again. [color=crimson]"So, what's this world like?"[/color]
[color=orangered]"It's the best one!"[/color]
[color=blue]"Ze~ll..."[/color] murmured Rinoa warningly.
[color=orangered]"But it is!"[/color]
[color=teal]"You seem very sure of yourself,"[/color] commented Cecil, waving a hotdog in Zell's general direction. [color=teal]"How do you know [i]my[/i] world isn't better?"[/color]
Rinoa sighed. [color=blue][i]How old are they...?[/i][/color] she thought to herself.
Zell paused, visibly considering Cecil's question. [color=orangered]"Well... just because it is..."[/color] Zell paused again before adding, [color=orangered]"We have the best technology!"[/color]
Then, it was Auron's turn to chuckle again. [color=crimson]"Better machina? Are you sure of that?"[/color]
[color=blue]"What do you mean...?"[/color]
However, Zell was still hung up on the vocabulary. [color=orangered]"[i]Machina[/i]?"[/color]
Auron nodded. [color=crimson]"Yes, machines. Technology. Don't be so sure you're "best". There will [i]always[/i] be someone who's better at something than you are."[/color]
Zell paused then. Then, pretending to get the point, he nodded. [color=orangered]"Uhh... yeah... sure..."[/color]
Rinoa and Cecil contented themselves by smirking slightly at Zell's confusion, and Auron mentally chalked up another point for the Crimson Warrior.

Cecil thought about his homeworld, as the conversation came to a halt. He wondered how Rosa was doing at Baron Castle without him. Though he didn't show it, he missed Rosa dearly, and wished that they could visit his world. Then he could show Zell just who he was dealing with, too. For now, though, he thought it best to keep that quite. The others didn't need to know just yet.

Finishing off his hotdog, he burped. [color=teal]"Ah, excuse me. . . ."[/color] He had never eaten anything like this before. It wasn't half bad, but he wondered what it was made out of. It didn't taste like any type of meat he had eaten before. He decided to ask. [color=teal]"That was pretty good. What type of meat was that?"[/color]

Zell looked a little nervous as he answered. [color=orangered]"Um, well, you see. . . ."[/color] Zell trailed off.

Auron raised an eyebrow, having also just finished his. [color=crimson]"Yes?"[/color]

[color=blue]"Well, ah, let's just say--"[/color] Rinoa started, but was cut off.

[color=orangered]"--you don't want to know,"[/color] Zell quickly finished for her. They exhanged quick glances.

Cecil glanced over at Auron, who also looked a bit concerned about what he had just eaten. [color=teal]"Should I be concerned?"[/color]

He nodded slightly. [color=crimson]"I think so."[/color]

[color=teal]"Worried?"[/color]

[color=crimson]"Wouldn't be surprised."[/color] Auron glanced back over at Cecil, and then both of them looked over at Zell and Rinoa. Zell looked a bit panicked. [color=crimson]"What did you just have us eat?"[/color] Auron sounded rather serious.

Zell started to answer, but Cecil held his hand out in front of him and interrupted. [color=teal]"Wait, no. . . . You're probably right, I don't think I want to know. It seems to be safe, as you keeping eating them, so how bad could it be?"[/color]

[color=orangered]"Well, it's--"[/color] Zell started to answer again.

[color=teal]"That was a rhetorical question; I wasn't looking for an answer."[/color]

[color=orangered]"Rhetorical?"[/color]

Cecil and Auron looked at each other again and just sighed, shaking their heads and making mental notes to not eat anything that Zell gives them.

OoC: Um, why are we confusing poor Zell so much? :rotflmao:
~~~~~~~~
[i][color=crimson]Machina, unidentifiable meat, what next?[/color][/i]
Auron sighed quietly. [color=crimson]"Anything else we need to know about this world?"[/color]
[color=orangered]"Only that it's the bestest be--OW!"[/color]
[color=blue]"Don't you start that again!"[/color]
Zell rubbed the back of his head. [color=orangered]"You guys--I'm gonna have a bruise there if you keep that up."[/color]
[color=teal]"Yeah, don't want him to be any more confused that he already is,"[/color] Cecil laughed teasingly.
[color=orangered]"Gah, hotdogs are so much more nicer than all of you. At least they don't comment on your intelligence."[/color]
[color=crimson]"Given all the surprises lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they did,"[/color] Auron chuckled kindly.
[color=blue]"That's probably why Cid's late!"[/color] Rinoa jumped in, trying to steer the conversation in a new direction.
[color=teal]"Because of talking hotdogs?"[/color]
[color=orangered]"Augh, WHERE?!?"[/color] Zell's stomach chose that moment to gurgle at him and the poor blonde screamed again, while everyone else laughed.

[b]OOC:[/b] Y'know what? I'm not really sure :P But it's funny, so it's all good!
~~~~
Cecil shot a glance at Rinoa, who was shaking her head sadly at Zell's antics. [color=teal]"So, seriously, what kind of challenges could we be doing here?"[/color]
[color=blue]"Urm... I don't really know..."[/color]
[color=orangered]"It's probably gonna be something to do with a Garden right?"[/color] pondered Zell, desperate to redeem his "dunce" title.
Rinoa nodded. [color=blue]"I suppose you're right. But what kind of challenge could possibly involve a Garden?"[/color]
[color=crimson]"Excuse me? You think the next challenge is going to include a [i]Garden[/i]?"[/color] Cecil, too, was looking blankly at Rinoa and Zell.
Rinoa smiled at the elder two's confusion. [color=blue]"Not a Garden where you grow things. A Garden is a school where people learn to become SEEDs."[/color]
Cecil's eyes almost bugged out of his head. [color=teal]"You want to [i]become[/i] [b]seeds[/b]?"[/color]
Zell blinked. [color=orangered]"I'm a SEED, I trained at Balamb Garden... What about it?"[/color]
Auron was incredulous. Images of an army of warrior-sunflower seeds assulated his imagination. Such a thing would be [i]worse[/i] than Sin! [color=crimson]"So you think you're a [i]seed[/i]?"[/color]
[color=orangered]"Uhh... yeah..."[/color]
Cecil snorted slightly in amusement. [color=teal]"What kind? An acorn? A conker perhaps?"[/color]
[color=orangered]"Whaaaaa?"[/color]
[color=blue]"No, no, no... a SEED is -"[/color]
[color=orangered]"What's wrong with being a SEED?!"[/color] demanded Zell, cutting Rinoa off before she had a chance to explain. [color=orangered]"Why is that funny?"[/color]
[color=blue]"Zell..."[/color]
[color=orangered]"No! I want an answer!"[/color]
[color=blue]"Zell...!"[/color]
[color=orangered]"What?!"[/color]
Rinoa sighed before stating the fact firmly. [color=blue]"They don't know what a SEED is..."[/color]
[color=orangered]"They don't..."[/color] Zell trailed off, getting slowly redder by the second. [color=orangered]"Oh... they don't... huh?"[/color]
Rinoa shook her head.
[color=orangered]"Then... uhh... I'm done..."[/color]
There was a lengthy pause before...
[color=crimson]"I still don't understand why you'd want to become a [i]seed[/i]..."[/color]

[color=orangered]"Fine,"[/color] Zell spoke up.
[color=blue]"Oh no, here we go again..."[/color]
Zell kept talking as if he didn't hear her. [color=orangered]"What did [i]you[/i] start out as?"[/color]
[color=crimson]"Warrior monk for the Temple of Bevelle."[/color]
[color=teal]"Dark Knight for a corrupt kingdom myself."[/color]
[color=orangered]"See? SEE?!"[/color] Zell had jumped up and was pointing at them in some self-imagined triumph.
[color=teal]"Um...?"[/color]
[color=orangered]"We're SEEDs. You were evil. And you..."[/color] Zell blinked at Auron. [color=orangered]"I thought monks were peaceful types?"[/color]
[color=crimson]"Most, perhaps, but not Bevelle's. Think of us as 'hidden guards'."[/color]
[color=orangered]"Pffft. Most obvious example of an oxymoron if I ever heard one."[/color]
Auron hmphed.
[color=teal]"Just because I used to be 'evil' doesn't mean I am now!"[/color] Cecil suddenly spoke.
[color=blue]"From evil to Paladin...I think it's rather heroic,"[/color] Rinoa smiled.
[color=orangered]"Who's side are you on?!?"[/color]
[color=blue]"We're taking sides?"[/color]
[color=orangered]"Well...um...ah..."[/color]
[color=crimson]"Zell, just take comfort in the fact that we are all very different. I still don't quite understand why you want to be seeds, but--"[/color]
[color=orangered]"SEEDs, [i]not[/i] seeds!"[/color]
[color=teal]"What's the difference?"[/color] Cecil whispered to Rinoa.
[color=crimson]"--you don't think any less of me for not having that knowledge."[/color] Auron continued, as if uninterrupted. [color=crimson]"And I don't think any less of you."[/color]
Rinoa whined. [color=blue]"Now we're getting philosophical. Groan..."[/color]
[color=teal]"I'm ready to learn about this world...how about you?"[/color]
[color=crimson]"Yes."[/color]
[color=orangered]"And I'll lead the way!"[/color]
Everyone else shared a smile. Best to let Zell have a chance to fix his ego.
~~~~~~~~
OoC: Heh, poor Zell, being our new Zidane. ^.~;

[color=green]Eh, why not.Oo[/color]

[i]Before any further confusion about this new world, Rinoa quickly took Cecil and Auron to the side, explaining exactly what SEEDs were. Zell was rather frustrated at being left out of this new conversaton, but nonetheless waited patiently.[/i]

[color=teal]Such an interesting name for such people..[/color]

[color=crimson]Hehe..I still feel a need to taunt poor Zell about it..[/color]

[color=blue]Oh...leave him alone, he's already confused enough, there's no need to get him mad again![/color]

[i]After she was done explaining, the group walked back over to Zell, who was still pouting slightly, but trying to hide it.[/i]

[color=orangered]So what were you guys talkin about, huh? Me and my...my..[/color]

[color=crimson]Ignorance?[/color]

[color=teal]Abnormal obsession with "Hotdogs?"[/color]

[color=blue]........[/color]

[i]Before anything else was said, Rinoa had slammed her palms straight into the back of Cecil and Aurons' heads. Zell could barely hold back his laughter, so he just let it spurt out in large PAHAHAHAs![/i]

[color=orangered]Hahahaa..that's what you get for messin with me![/color]

[color=crimson]Might I remind you that RINOA was the one who smacked us..[/color]

[i]Rinoa smiled at this comment, then wandered off outside.[/color]

[color=teal]I guess...we better get going now, you've got much to show us Zell.[/color]

[color=green]I know it's short and...boring, but I didn't have much time to type up a nice post.[/color]

offgame: Sorry to interrupt your fun, but I think we ought to move on... Actually, we were supposed to move on few days ago, but you know, the server was down yesterday and everything... But I'm here again! :D ("and now everybody felt relieved and happy again!")

ongame: [COLOR=seagreen]

Four exhausted travelers returned to Ragnarok.
Cecil: "You know, Zell, when you said you were going to show us around places... I didn't know you meant the whole cursed world!"
Zell: "Well, [i]excuse me[/i] for trying to be a good host!"
Rinoa: "Here we go again... OH CID! YOU DON'T KNOW HOW GLAD I AM TO SEE YOU!"
Cid: "Excuse me?"
Auron: "She has had enough cock-fighting for one day..."
Cid: "Mmm, I see... Well, You returned just in time to hear your next challenge."
Cecil: "WHAT?! Do we have to go back out there [i]immediately[/i]?"
Cid: "Get a grip of yourself, hero - you can do it!"
Cecil: "Well, as a matter of fact, I can..."

Cid: "Besides, you won't need your muscles for this challenge; this time I'm going to test your wittiness, tactic-skills, and most importantly... how well you do in [i]minigames[/i]!
At least two of you know that the most popular game in this world is a card-game called "Triple Triad". Thus, I have named this challenge as [u]Triple Trial[/u]!
Now here is what to do: Each of you will take a [b]beginners course[/b] to the mysteries of Triple Triad at [b]Balamb Garden[/b] under the controling eye of our dashing teacher [b]Quistis Trepe[/b]. After you think you have learned enough, you can take a [b]quick match[/b] against Quistis herself. If you win, you will gain a deck of [b]10 cards[/b] from her, which you begin with. Otherwise you will have to do more studying. Now, once you've received the beginning deck, you can [b]go anywhere in this world[/b] to test your skills against the people you meet, and get their cards. You will have [b]a certain time to achieve points[/b]. The points are dealt from wins, amount of cards AND the rarity of cards. [b]As a hint[/b], if you come to Balamb Garden - where all the best players dwell, including me - you can win very rare cards which will give you more points, but the matches are also extremely though (you can even try to outbeat me).

Here's the point list:
1 point from every win
1 point from each card you have
+? points from the card levels (so if [i]in theory[/i] you have a level 1 card, lvl 5 card and a lvl 7 card, you will get 1+5+7=13 points from them (+the wins))

More you will learn from Quistis's course. Now, I know Rinoa and Zell are perhaps more experienced in this game, so to them Quistis will give a tougher oppose. Agreed? Great!

Now, the challenge will start when the course starts, but I want to wish you best luck! Survivors GO!"[/color]

offgame: Okay, I probably forgot something VERY essential about this challenge, but you can take the "course" (and see all the cards) from here: [url]http://www.ffonline.com/ff8/cards-lvl1.htm[/url]

If [i]anything[/i] is left unclear, please ask me - I'll be around! I'll come tell the results in Saturday. Until then...

OoC: Oh ye gods, I'm screwed. I hated this game in FF8/FF9 and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna hate it now. *bawls*
What time Saturday are we talking about, here? My double shift at work is all day tomorrow (like it's been all my life), which means I'm going to lose time as compared to everyone else.
*looks ill* Ye gods, ye gods, why did it have to be Triple Triad?

Um, after all that rant, heh, sorry Sage, I'm still confused. What [i]exactly[/i] are we doing here? Who are we playing against, IRL online? I know you say Quistis, but how exactly are we supposed to be writing these posts? *looks quite lost*
I am not giving up...but I can't fight on if I don't know what I am doing. :bluesweat

Oh! Now, Ginny, [i]breathe[/i]! Repeat: "This is just a game, this is just a game"... ;)

Here's what you do:
1) You participate in the theory course lead by Quistis at Balamb Garden
2)In order to "graduate" from there you must beat Quistis in the game of Triple Triad
3)When you win, Quistis will give you your starting deck which contains 10 random cards
4)You take your cards to the wide world, challenge people you meet in different locations to a match of cards, collect [b]victories, cards and rare cards[/b]
5)[i]How[/i] you do all this is secondary. You can go the detailed way ("My opponent sturck a horrid Odin card to the table, and I knew I had to get that extra rare card... Now my Ifrit-card was going to be of use...") or just overall-style ("In Galbadia I dared to challenge the headmaster himself, and I won a very rare level 6 card from him...")

But as you all know, besides the points (which are quite secondary here as well), I will take count your activity and the quality of your posts as well (like in every other challenge before this). C'mon, this isn't that hard... Just be imaginative! :)

PS. About what time I will come here in Saturday, I can't really tell... I live in a whole different continent that you, Ginny, and I suck at maths, so I can't really count the time-zones. Besides, it can be either at noon or at midnight, as those are the times I'm usually here (in Eastern European Time, of course). Sorry... :huh:

OoC: But I've had a total of 5 different people attempt to teach me Triple Triad/FF9's game, and I have yet to understand it. If I can't understand it, I'm gonna have trouble posting, and boy am I screwed for telling everyone this. >.<
Well, here goes every little nothing.
~~~~~~
The halls were scantly filled with the occasional groups of students. The Crimson Warrior passed by one who was listening to a set of headphones, playing loudly. Auron could pick out a few familiar words...
[i]"Hope dies and you wander
The otherworld it makes you
Dreams they rip asunder
The otherworld it hates you
Free now, ride up on it
Up to the heights it takes you
Go now if you want it
An otherworld awaits you..."[/i]
He gazed in surprise as the student walked away, unaware of him and still listening to the hard rock.
[i][color=crimson]That's a song from Zanarkand...but how...?[/color][/i]
Shaking his head, unable to grasp an answer, Auron strode into the appointed Balamb Garden classroom, feeling somewhat out of place. Fortunately, this particular class had let out for the day, leaving only Quistis, the beautiful teacher, behind. She was studying three books spread out in front of her intently.
Auron coughed to get her attention.
"Oh, my, and who might you be?"
[color=crimson]"The first student for Triple Triad?"[/color] The words were still foreign to him, though both Zell and Rinoa assured Auron that this was [i]the[/i] game in this world. Auron made a mental note to show them blitzball...[color=white]if he ever made it that far...[/color]
"There are a few more of you, yes? I want to wait and teach you all at once. Less work on my part." Quistis winked at him. "I'm sure you'll catch on right away.
[color=crimson]"Do you know the phrase...an old dog cannot learn new tricks?"[/color]
"Such optimism," Quistis laughed. "I'd try it before I knock it, if I were you."
Auron sighed heavily. [color=crimson]"I guess..."[/color]
And so he sat and waited for the others to show up, so that the tutorial class would begin.

[color=green]I'm with Ginny on this, I just CANNOT play Triple Triad...never could, probably never be able to.Oo I don't know HOW to be creative with this.-- This is...going to be hard.><[/color]

OoC: I noticed Braidless Baka was checking out the thread, but she didn't post, which means she might not have been able to post either?
Here, I'm gonna have another go at the link Sage posted.
In the meantime, *throws herself on the mercy of the Grand and Immortal Wise Sagacious Mighty Yu Sage*, could this not be an eviction challenge? I have a feeling this might be difficult for all of us. :(

Please don't hurt me, Sage...*hides and whimpers* I'm really trying hard to understand this challenge, I really am! :)
~~~~~~
[color=crimson]"While we wait, may I ask a few questions?"[/color]
"If you don't mind me putting you on the spot in front of everyone else later, then go right ahead," Quistis grinned.
[color=crimson]"A player gets five cards. He gets those cards by beating monsters or other players and winning new cards."[/color]
Quistis nodded.
Auron continued, a little unsure, but ready to stop if he needed to be corrected. [color=crimson]"Players put the cards on a 3x3 grid. Depending on what values a card has, it can either take or be taken by another card. Whoever has the most cards at the end wins."[/color]
Quistis clapped jovially. "Excellent, excellent. Now Auron, which is the highest value?"
[color=crimson]"I believe that is A, followed by 9, then 8, and so on, until you reach 1."[/color]
"There you go! Auron, you know the basics now!"
[quote][center][b]Got Starter Deck![/b][/center][/quote]
"And for being such a quick learner--" Quistis walked up to Auron and brushed her nose against his cheek. Auron's good eye widened and he hunched down into his large collar, hiding the flush spreading across his face. When he felt the card tapping against his nose, he blinked, and Quistis winked.
"Don't lose that one in your first card battle, ok?"
[quote][b][center]Got Ochu Card![/center][/b][/quote]
"Care to test your ability, Auron dear?"
[color=crimson]"I...I guess I could try."[/color]
[i]Two minutes later...[/i]
"Good god, Auron, I should have never given that Ochu to you!" Quistis complained.
[color=crimson]"And I think I shall take that Belhelmel of yours for good measure,"[/color] the Crimson Warrior smirked.
[quote][b][center]Got Belhelmel card![/center][/b][/quote]
"Oooo, why you--out! Out! GET OUT!" Furious, Quistis chased a chuckling Auron out of her classroom. Fuming, she stomped back into the room, and Auron went on his way to play Triple Triad elsewhere.
~~~~~~
Another quick OoC: OOO, I think I know how to play the game itself now--at least the basics!
How do we keep from letting ourselves godmod the stuffing out of playing?
I'm sorry I'm being such a pain about this challenge--I just, I...I...*whimpers again*

[color=indigo]I'm with Ginny; this doesn't seem like a very good subject for a challenge. I mean, it's kind of hard to write about playing a game that's supposed to be played by two people, when you're the only one writing for it. Even for someone that got how to play Triple Triad pretty well just from watching someone else play (if I ever play FFVIII, I'll probably spend most of my time playing Triple Triad, heh), this is going to be very annoying and not very enjoyable to write for.

And I really have no idea how to go about writing for this sort of thing without just skimming over everything. I mean, you can't really go through turn-by-turn for each match. That would both take too long, and it's also kind of hard to play both sides of a match. And just saying "I won this match and got this card," is boring, since that's all this challenge seems to be. (Playing matches, that is). I don't think any of us are going to do at all well in this match, just because there doesn't seem to be any good way [i]to[/i] do well with this sort of thing.

Bah. . . . Well, I'll try and see what I can do with this tomorrow, then. I've been busy today, so I didn't have time to post, and now I'm too tired to write anything decent. I won't be too surprised if I get voted off after this challenge just because I have no idea how the heck I'm going to do this, and because I'll probably get in all of two posts with all the stuff taking up my time lately.[/color]

[b]OOC:[/b] >.> [i]Busted...[/i] Yeah, Ginny's very observant - I checked out the thread, was at a loss for what to do in it(it was like 2am my time) and decided to wait for someone else to post O_o but.... urm... rather than risk being inactive again, here's my shot - following Ginny's example *cringes* don't hurt me if I do bad O_________o;;
~~~~~
Zell got to the "classroom" in time to see Auron hurry out with a smirk on his face. [i][color=orangered]Has he beaten Quistis [b]already[/b]?![/i][/color]
The Zell blinked, face to face with the instructor. [color=orangered]"Oh, hey Quistis!"[/color]
Quistis glowered after Auron. "I'd appreiciate it if I never saw him again..."
[color=orangered]"You're such a sore loser..."[/color]
She turned to glare at him with a slight smirk. "[i]That[/i] is none of your business Zell... In, now."
Zell was already familiar with Triple Triad, and so it wasn't long before he'd [i]explained[/i] the rules to Quistis. With a smile, she realised it would have been like this. Zell was an avid player back in Balamb too.
"So... you know the beginner's rules. That's all well and good. But how about something a little more advanced?"
[color=orangered]"Uhh... What d'you mean?"[/color]
"Well, this is supposed to a challenge, or so Headmaster Cid has told me. But it's not very fair if you already knew the answer is it?" She paused. "Explain to me the rules of taking cards from people. Under what rules do you take which cards?"
[color=orangered]"Okay,"[/color] he murmured, ticking the points off on his fingers, racking his brain in an attempt to remember. [color=orangered]"If you play with the "One" rule, the winner takes one card off the loser. With the "Diff" rule, the winner takes cards that are the same as the difference in points. Bascially, taking the amount of cards that he's won by in points."[/color]
Quistis nodded, impressed, as the blonde paused in contemplation.
[color=orangered]"If you play with "Direct" rules, each player takes the cards he flipped over. And in "All" the winner takes all five cards hyis opponent used while playing. There,"[/color] he admitted after a paused. [color=orangered]"I think that's everything."[/color]
Smiling, Quistis handed Zell a pack of cards. "I hope Rinoa remembers as much as you did!"

[quote][center][b]Got Starter Deck![/b][/center][/quote]

Zell grinned. [color=orangered]"Want to play a game? For old time's sake?"[/color]
"As long as you promise you won't win."
[color=orangered]"Eh?"[/color]
Quistis chuckled to herself. "I suppose it's only fair, even though it's a mistake." She handed Zell another card. "I gave Auron another starter card when he challenged me. I don't want to put A Balamb student at a disadvantage now, do I?"

[quote][center][b]Got a Snow Lion Card![/b][/center][/quote]

So, the two sat down to play. With a slight smirk, Zell said, [color=orangered]"What rules should we play by?"[/color]
Quistis blinked, before laughing quietly. "You're very confident today Zell. Which rules would you like to play by?"
Zell paused in thought. [color=orangered]"Let's play with "Diff" rules. The winner takes cards equal to the difference."[/color]
"Are you sure? You could lose your whole deck in your first game."
Confidently, Zell grinned. [color=orangered]"I [i]could[/i], but that doesn't mean I [i]will[/i]."[/color]
Quistis sighed with a shrug. "Fine then, whatever you say."

[i]Several minutes later...[/i]

[color=orangered]"Ah HA!! I WIN!!!"[/color]
Quistis groaned, putting her head in her hands. "No, what is [i]wrong[/i] with me today?!"
[color=orangered]"C'mon, cough up the cards!"[/color]
Quistis sighed before splaying all her cards onto the table. "Go ahead then... choose three of them..."

[quote][center][b]Got Abyss Worm Card![/b][/center][/quote]

[quote][center][b]Got Creeps Card![/b][/center][/quote]

[quote][center][b]Got Krysta Card![/b][/center][/quote]

"Now get out!" she barked, insensed at having lost twice in one day. Besides the fact that Zell would never let her forget it, she was losing cards fast. That Krysta had been one of her highest level cards. "Out out out!" she continued, shooing a smirking Zell from her room.
Outside, Zell continued smirking while glancing about for some more competition.
~~~
[b]OOC2:[/b] Another quick question Sage, O_o You said we got "random" cards in our starter decks in the last post... should we specify which ones we got? *paces while continuing to wonder* Urm... bleh... I dunno O_o *haunts, waiting for someone else to post*
[b]OOC3:[/b] Oh yeah, and not wanting to be a pain in the butt... But maybe we should have a little longer to work on this? You're judgeing the results tomorrow and we're still just getting to grips with the challenge... I dunno, I just feel a little "pressed" for time in this one... But, like I say, it's just a suggestion ^_^;;

offgame: Gah! :faint: I didn't realize you all were THAT opposed to this... *whimpers* [size=1]I just thought that as card-games are a big part of two of the games, we should have them involved, but...[/size]

Okay, I'll compromise; since we are in no hurry, I will declare the results of this challenge in TUESDAY at tops. [Sidenote: my 19th birthday is on Tuesday. ;)]

Is everybody okay with this? Please don't take this that seriously; I will evaluate the results mostly on the quality (and amusement) of your posts - and you can all do [i]those things[/i], can't you? :smirk:

[b]OOC:[/b] Phew, we have more time ^_____^ -- Personally, I don't think it's too bad for a challenge, I was just a little confused as to what was being asked of me -- I think I geddit now... You're judging post quality and amusement quality rather than the actual number of points? Correct? Well, I'm gonna try and get myself ahead now ^___^;;

~~~
Zell fingered his cards as he looked about for more people to challenge. Who he [i]really[/i] wanted to challenge was Headmaster Cid. Not even for the points especially, just to see if he could beat his old Headmaster at his favourite game. But the Headmaster was nowhere to be found.
"RAGE!"
Blinking, Zell turned, to be face to face with Fujin. [color=orangered]"Uhh... hi to you too..."[/color]
"PLAY!!"
Zell blinked, yet again. [color=orangered]"Uhh, yeah sure..."[/color] Quietly he decided that Fujin didn't [i]sound[/i] like she knew what she was doing... so it was going to be pretty safe... right?
Indicating a table, Fujin dragged Zell over to it and got out her cards. She looked up at the blonde before deciding he should have the first turn. "PLAY NOW!!"
Zell twitched slightly. [color=orangered]"Shouldn't we toss a coin or something before-"[/color]
"[i]NOW!!!"[/i]"
[color=orangered]"Uhh... yeah... okay then... sure..."[/color] murmured Zell, laying his first card on the table.
"PLAY ALL!!"
Zell looked up, aghast. [color=orangered]"Playing with "All" rules? No way am I playing like that!"[/color]
"FEAR!"
[color=orangered]"I'm not afraid of you!! FINE!!"[/color]

Zell was mortified... Fujin had taken five of his cards, leaving him with only nine. [color=orangered]"How in the...?!"[/color]
"VICTORY!"
[color=orangered]"All right... let's play again... I bet you can't do that twice!"[/color]
"JEALOUS!"
[color=orangered]"What? Of you? No... I just want that Krysta back."[/color] He flicked his cards through his fingers mockingly. [color=orangered]"Or are you too afraid?"[/color]
"NO FEAR!"
[color=orangered]"C'mon then... "Diff" rules, if you're not too afraid."[/color]
"[i]NO FEAR[/i]!" declared Fujin, slamming her first card onto the table.

[i]Several more minutes later...[/i]

[color=orangered]"AH HA!! I WON!!"[/color]
"LOSS...!"
[color=orangered]"C'mon then, hand 'em over! 6 cards if you please!"[/color]
Grudgingly Fujin splayed her cards out for the SEED to choose from. He took back all the cards he had lost to her previously and another card...

[quote][b][center]Got Fujin & Raijin Card![/center][/b][/quote]

[color=orangered]"I'll just have this if you don't mind!"[/color]
"MOCKERY!" Then she paused before adding "AGAIN!"
Zell snorted, standing from the table. [color=orangered]"No way am I risking that again... No way..."[/color]
"[i]AGAIN!![/i]"
[color=orangered]"No way!"[/color]
"FEAR!" she screeched, moving round the table in an attempt to get to Zell and perhaps choke the life out of him.
[color=orangered]"AHHH!!"[/color] yelped Zell sprinting desperately away from the enraged woman. He now had himself a stalker...

OoC: Bwa ha ha ha! BB funny! Till Tuesday, huh? Mkay.
And yes, please clear it up one last time for us--is it the matter of points or is it the matter of posts? Or...
[b]Sage:[/b] *turns into enraged Ifrit* SHUT UP AND--*turns back into Sage and smiles sweetly*--write.
[b]Ginny:[/b] :wow: :faint:
Heh, *hugs Sage*, I know, we're being terrible. But don't forget, we are also getting [i]very[/i]competitive, now that we are down to the last four.
...how many cards in a Starter Deck? At least 5, right? (I'll edit that part of the post as needed.)
~~~~~~~~~
The Grat shrieked as the Masamune cleaved directly through its leafy body and it collapsed. The long twig arms twitched briefly, and Auron plucked the Grat card from its grasp.
[quote][b][center]Got the Grat Card![/center][/b][/quote]
[color=crimson]"So that makes a Grat, Fungar, Bite Bug, Red Bat, Blobra, Blood Soul, Caterchipillar, Cockatrice, Mesmerize, Belhelmel, and Ochu. Mmmm, I suppose I could take someone on with this deck..."[/color] and he swung his great sword with a great hint of battles to come, [color=crimson]"...but why would I want to?"[/color]
"Hey watch it, old man!"
"Oh my god, he killed Kenny!"
"The butthead!"
Shocked, Auron looked behind him at the group of students--surely, as an experienced warrior, he hadn't--
The student in question was twitching comically, clutching a bottle of ketchup. Auron glowered and stalked away.
"Yeah, that's it, old man, get scared and walk away!"
[color=crimson]"Ah, that's why..."[/color]
"Kweh kweh WAAAARK! Lookit the big chicken man running away!"
The group was laughing and jeering now, even Kenny. Auron gritted his teeth, telling himself not to be rash, but even as that thought crossed his mind, he had already slapped his deck down angrily and glared at the taunters.
"Oooo, old man wants to pwaaaaay!"
Laughs and jeers.
"Take him on, Zard!"
[color=crimson]"Yes, take me on, Zard."[/color]
"Are you sure? Don't you think it's past your bedtime?"
[color=crimson]"It's far past yours, you inconsiderate little snot."[/color]
Zard did a passable imitation of him. "'Inconsiderate little snot.'" He deftly closed his right eye, leaving his left eye open, and clutched his left arm to his body, running around in an overly exagerrated manner, yelling, "Lookit me the old man who thinks he's stuff 'cause he uses big words!"
His buddies were screaming with laughter now, and Auron was only getting angrier and angrier. When he could take it no more, he put his sword down, shot his right hand out, and grabbed Zard by the collar. He drew Zard up to him, nose to nose, and whispered in a voice dripping with fury:
[color=crimson]"Let us start so I may kick your ***."[/color]
~~~~~
OoC: To be contined--I'm running late for work! ^^;
BTW, this is only the 2nd time Auron has ever swore. I know in the game he never did, but this heightens drama, yes? Heh. *grin*

~~EDIT~~
Zard sat at the table across from Auron, his buddies (Kenny included) crowding behind him. The teen smirked at Auron, fanning his cards against his face. "Any time, old man."
[color=crimson]"Any special rules?"[/color]
Zard smirked. "What special rules do you know about?"
Auron looked lost in thought. [color=crimson]"One, and...Diff? Is that what it is called?"[/color]
Zard's smirk grew wider, and his friends sniggered. "Have you heard of ALL?"
Auron tried to hide his lacking knowledge. [color=crimson]"What do you do?"[/color]
Zard spread his arms, as if to show no harm. "Heh, it's where, if you turn all the cards to one color, the winner takes all of them. Fair?"
Auron looked wide eyed over his shades. [color=crimson]"Sounds...difficult. Which means I shouldn't lose any cards, correct?"[/color]
"Yeah, that's right, old man," Zard said, stifling his laughter. [i]This is gonna be too easy![/i] "Just remember to let me go fi--"
Auron put a card down. [color=crimson]"Mesmerize, in the top right."[/color]
[center]5
4 3
3[/center]
"What the [i]he--[/i]!"
[color=crimson]"Afraid?"[/color]
Zard growled. "You're gonna in be in for such a shock, old man!" He slapped Gesper into the middle right square.
[center]1
1 5
4[/center]
Auron raised an eyebrow as the Gesper flipped to his own color. [color=crimson]"Are you sure about that?"[/color]
"Yeah, yeah, just play already!"
Auron placed the Ochu card from Quistis below Gesper, to further firm his hold on it.
[center]5
3 6
3[/center]
Zard put a Fastitocalon-F in the left middle square.
[center]3
1 5
2[/center]
[color=crimson]"Now you're just running scared,"[/color] Auron commented.
"He ain't running scared of nobody!" Kenny shouted, jerking a hand at Auron.
"My boy be right, old man. I ain't running scared. I'm just waiting to shake you up."
Auron put his Belhelmel just above the Fastitocalon-F--
[center]3
3 4
5[/center]
--capturing the Fastitocalon-F instantly. Kenny led the group in cheering Zard on.
[color=crimson]"Just shut up and play."[/color] That silenced the group instantly.
Zard growled at Auron's ability to quiet his crew--[i]his[/i] crew!--but then grinned at his trump card. He was biding his time. To tease his opponent further, he tossed his Blood Soul card in the bottom middle square--
[center]2
1 1
6[/center]
and smirked as it flipped to Auron's color. His crew cheered wildly.
Auron noticed the grin on Zard's face and began to wonder. Either the kid had something up his sleeve, or he was, quite frankly, high. Regardless, the Crimson Warrior needed the practice, and his deck was holding out thus far.
Auron laid his Blobra card in the bottom left corner.
[center]2
5 3
1[/center]
Zard's smirk was demented looking as he tossed a Fungar--
[center]5
3 1
1[/center]
--in the top middle square, laughing as it flipped to Auron's color.
"Now for the piece de resis--"
[color=crimson]"Ah ah ah..."[/color] Auron shook his finger at Zard, a twinkle in his good eye. Zard frowned at him, then suddenly noticed his crew was very very quiet.
"Wait a minute, what's going on? It's my turn!"
[color=crimson]"Are you daft? It's my turn."[/color]
"No, it's not!" Zard was starting to get a little hysterical. "It's always my turn when the only spot left is the middle square."
And that's when it became clear to Auron. Zard's strategy. By knowing the common method of using the strongest attack cards possible, Zard played on that by using exceptionally weak cards. Once his cards were captured in the pattern of his choosing (a cross around the center square), it was just a matter of taking the center. The trick was in Zard being the first to play a card; and the few times he didn't, he must have wheedled his way into an extra turn, still exuding the sense of having nothing but weak cards. Once his powerful card rested in the center, though, it would flip all his weak cards back to Zard. Instant win. And with the ALL rule in effect, he could pick up the strong cards from the other players, not only building him up, but weakening their decks, paving his way for future wins.
Well, not this time.
[color=crimson]"It is [i]my[/i] turn."[/color] Auron looked around, then suddenly spotted Zell racing down the corridor. The Crimson Warrior beckoned the frantic looking blonde to his side. [color=crimson]"Question."[/color]
[color=orangered]"Answer--and quick! She's after me!"[/color]
[color=crimson]"If I go first, does that not mean I get five turns, as opposed to the 2nd player's four?"[/color]
Zell nodded, gulping air. [color=orangered]"That means the center square is all yours, Auron. Dang, no worries--looks like you are about to clean up."[/color]
"YOU!"
[color=orangered]"Eeps! Gotta run!"[/color] And Zell did.
Zard and crew stared in shock at Auron. "Please, sir," Zard whined, "you already beat me. Just let me lay this one last card down and..."
[center]1
5 3
3[/center]
Auron had already tossed his Bite Bug card into the center square, much to Zard's dismay.
"No!!"
The Bite Bug gleamed at him from its place in the center, the place where his last card was supposed to go.
"Nooo!!"
His last card: Behemoth.
"NOOOOOOOOO!!!"
Auron reached over and swept all the cards into his grasp. [color=crimson]"Well,[/color] he chuckled, [color=crimson]"looks like this old man got lucky. ALL means all the cards. Including,"[/color] and he reached over and yanked Behemoth out of Zard's hand, [color=crimson]"this one."[/color]
"Wha?"
[color=crimson]"I may be older than you, but I'm far from senile. The ALL rule is not to take all the cards if they are the same color. It says that, if a player should win, then [i]all[/i] the cards used in the game goes to that player."[/color]
"But..."
Kenny and the others were starting to drift away from Zard. It was his first loss ever...and a spoiled legend was nothing worth hanging around.
[color=crimson]"Face it, kid. You lost."[/color]
"My...my strategy..."
[color=crimson]"A really dishonorable one. I wonder how you managed to get this beauty."[/color] He held up the Behemoth card. [color=crimson]"Ah well, nothing like a fresh new start? And Zard, this time,"[/color] --here his voice was deceptively caring-- [color=crimson]"do it right for once, hmmm?"[/color]
Auron walked away from the dejected cheater, one super strong card richer. Perhaps this challenge wasn't going to be so bad after all.
[quote][center][b]Got Behemoth card![/b][/center][/quote]

How Auron won:
[img]http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/elementis/Survivor/diagram.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/elementis/Survivor/diagram.jpg[/url]

How Zard [i]would have[/i] won:
[img]http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/elementis/Survivor/diagram2.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/elementis/Survivor/diagram.jpg[/url]
~~~~~~
Final OoC: Oh c'mon, don't tell me you haven't seen this type of scene before! ;) I know I have, several times. heh.

[b]OOC:[/b] And [i]GAWD[/i] O_O That was well thought out!! And all I have is a rabid woman running around after me! Dang Ginny that was [i]good[/i] O_o!! *sits in awe for a few moments*
[b]OOC2:[/b] Anyone who's played Monkey Island will get the "three-headed-monkey" thing O_o;;
[b]OOC3:[/b] And Sage, don't take the "dragon" thing to heart ^_^;; *sweatdrops* Yeah... I'm done O_______o;;

~~~~~~
Eventually, after knocking a good few people over, briefly stopping to answer to Auron, and then some more sprinting, Zell lost Fujin. But she was still around... She always was. And it didn't matter [i]where[/i] he went... she followed him...
For a while the blonde trapsed the coridoor, looking for some opposition. Everyone was out with their cards today... It must be some kind of big event... And Headmaster Cid was still nowhere to be found... Hmm... Probably hiding up in his office away from the proceedings. Hording his cards like some kind of humongous dragon guards its gold. Well... The search would continue!
Then he turned at a light tap on the shoulder to see Selphie standing there. "Hey Zell!"
[color=orangered]"Oh, hey!"[/color]
"Did you know Fujin was looking for you?"
Zell blinking broadly, panic evident in his eyes. [color=orangered]"You didn't tell her where I was... did you?"[/color]
Chewing a lip, Selphie nodded. "She was stomping round screeching "PLAY!" "NOW!" -- I got scared Zell..."
[color=orangered]"So... where is she now...?"[/color]
[b]"PLAY!! NOW!!"[/b]
[color=orangered]"What is your problem?! Leave me alooooooooone!!"[/color] Zell buried his head in his hands before sighing and bringing his head up again. [color=orangered]"Okay... just one more game... Then that's "it" - y'understand?"[/color]
"FINAL!"
Zell cast a look around for Selphie... But the girl had seemingly slunk away while Zell was occuipied. He made a mental note to hurt her later... And then sat down to play his game with Fujin.

[color=orangered]"I've beaten you twice now... can I go now?"[/color]
"PLAY!!"
It was useless to argue... So...

[i]Several MORE minutes later...[/i]

[color=orangered]"LEAVE ME ALONE WOMAN!!!"[/color]
[b]"PLAY!!!"[/b]

[i]Do I need to say it again...?[/i]

By the 5th match, Zell was getting a little frustrated. And he was no better off than he had been when he started. Everytime he won a match Fujin won the next match along. Now he was one ahead... maybe now was a good time to make an exit...
[color=orangered]"LOOK! There's a three-headed-monkey!!"[/color]
And, of course, Fujin turned to look... I mean who wouldn't turn to look for a three-headed-monkey? And when she looked back, Zell had vanished...
"[b]RAGE!!![/b]" she shrieked, standing and taking off to look for him.

Having now broken Fujin's vicious card-playing cycle, it was safe to say:

[quote][b][center]Got T-Rexaur Card![/center][/b][/quote]

OOC: Just to let people know, in my little diagrams, if a card has an "x" in the middle of the numbers it means it's Cecil's color. If it has an "o" it means it's his opponent's color. X's instead of numbers means there's no card in that space.

Edit: Lol, that's hilarious, Braidless Baka. That was one of the best parts in The Secret of Monkey Island. Especially when there actually [i]was[/i] a three-headed monkey. :laugh:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cecil walked confidently through the halls towards the classroom; he was sure he'd be able to master a simple card game. All he needed to do was keep a level head and think logically. [color=teal][i]The only problem I should have is trying to keep myself from using Sight to see my opponent's cards,[/i][/color] he thought with a small grin. That was the thing about being a Paladin--and having a conscience--he just couldn't bring himself to cheat.

Walking into the classroom, Cecil smiled at Quistis--she didn't smile back. Cecil stood there just inside the doorway a moment, blinking. A blank stare was coming from Quitis.

[color=teal]"Something wrong?"[/color] he finally asked, continuing farther into the room and sitting down in the chair in front of Quistis' desk.

Quistis growled, obviously not in a very good mood. "Lets just start your lesson."

Cecil was a bit nervous. He wondered what had upset Quistis, but then he remembered seeing Zell in the hallway, coming from the classroom. [color=teal]"Alright,"[/color] he said, keeping the thought to himself. [color=teal]"How does this game work, then?"[/color]

"Well, first off, you play on a 3x3 grid like this" Quistis began. Cecil nodded, watching as Quistis layed out nine cards in a 3x3 pattern. "Now, each player takes turns placing cards on the grid. Those cards have four numbers, arranged in a cross pattern; one on top, one on the left, one on the right, and one on bottom. These are the strengths of that card on each side. Now, say a card with a three on bottom is placed. If a card with a number higher than three on top were to be placed below that card, the card on top would be flipped to it's opponent's color. Each player goes back a forth playing their cards, and whoever has the most cards flipped to their color at the end wins." Cecil nodded again, and Quistis handed Cecil a deck of five cards. "I'll run through a match with you as an example, since you've never played before. We'll play with some basic rules, and Difference trade rule. You go first," she said as she swepted five of the cards up into her hand and pushed aside the remaining four.

Cecil looked through the starter deck. In it was a Gayla, a Bite Bug, a Blobra, a Funguar, and a Gesper. [color=teal]"Hmm. . . ."[/color] he said, thinking about his choices. Finally he placed the Gesper card in the top-left corner.

------1------X------X-----
-----1x5----X X----X X----
------4------X------X-----
---------------------------
------X------X------X-----
-----X X----X X----X X----

"Hmm, very good," Quistis said. "Protecting your weak sides by placing them against the edge." She then placed a Cockatrice card in the top-middle space, flipping Cecil's Gesper.

------1------2------X-----
-----1o5----6o1----X X----
------4------2------X-----

In response, Cecil placed his Gayla card in the top-right space, flipping the Cockatrice card to his color but not the Gesper. [color=teal]"Ah, I guess you can't do combos?"[/color]

------1------2------2-----
-----1o5----6x1----4x1----
------4------2------4-----

Quistis shook her head. "Not with the basic rules. If you're playing with Same, Plus, or Random rules, however, you can." She explained these [url=http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/DarrkPhoenix/ff8/cards.html]rules[/url] to Cecil, and then placed a Red Bat card in the center. Her Cockatrice was now secure, but the Red Bad was quite vulnerable on it's three open sides.

-----1o5----6o1----4x1----
------X------6------X-----
-----X X----2o1----X X----
------X------1------X-----

Cecil used this weakness, and placed his Blobra in the bottom-center.

-----X X----2x1----X X----
------X------2------X-----
-----X X----5x3----X X----

Quistis then placed a Geezard card in the bottom-right.

-----X X----2x1----X X----
------X------2------1-----
-----X X----5o3----5o4----
------X------1------1-----

Thinking for a moment, Cecil finally decided on his Bite Bug in the center-right. It was definitely going to be a close match, no matter who won.

------X------6------1-----
-----X X----2x1----5x3----
------X------1------3-----
-----X X----5o3----5x4----

Quistis eyed the cards in play for a long moment. It was coming down to the wire, but she finally placed an Oilboyle card in the center-left.

------1------6------1-----
-----8o8----2o1----5x3----
------4------1------3-----
-----X X----5o3----5x4----

Cecil grinned, knowing he had won. He placed his final card, a Funguar, in the bottom-left corner. [color=teal]"Checkmate."[/color]

------1------6------1-----
-----8x8----2o1----5x3----
------4------1------3-----
------5------2------1-----
-----3x1----5o3----5x4----
------1------1------1-----

Quistis growled again, looking like she had when Cecil had first walked in. "You play chess?"

[color=teal]"A little,"[/color] Cecil said as he eyed the Oilboyle card. [color=teal]"Five to four . . . this means I take one card, yes?"[/color]

"Take two," Quistis said. "I gave the other two an extra one, it's only fair." She sighed, watching as Cecil snatched up two of her cards along with his own.

[color=teal]"Don't worry, I'll take good care of them,"[/color] Cecil said with a smile as he added the Oilboyle and Caterchipillar (the one card Quistis hadn't played) cards to his new starter deck.

Quistis just growled again. Losing two times in a row was one thing, but three? Unheard of, especially when two of her opponents had never even played before. [i]I must be losing my edge,[/i] she thought bitterly.

Cecil stopped in the doorway as he was walking out, and turned back around. Quistis was sitting at her desk, looking worse than when he had come in. [color=teal]"Winning isn't everything,"[/color] he said just loud enough for her to hear, and then continued out into the hall to search for others to challenge.

OoC: *bows to Zell* Thank you! You have no idea how many times I had to edit that sucker to get it right! =)
OoC2: Sage, perhaps to prevent potential godmodding (though I doubt anybody here would intentionally, if at all, do that), perhaps we should limit how many there are of certain cards--like how, once an Esper was gone, it was gone. Just a thought. (=
OoC3: My gosh, this post got unexpectedly violent near the end. Not gorey, just violent. Another one of those posts that writes itself. Oo;
~~~~~~~~~
Auron was, believe it or not, sulking. [i]Bad.[/i] After the flurry of his win against Zard and the excitement of getting Behemoth, the Crimson Warrior had gotten a little too egotistical--he had lost his Belhelmel card to a kid with a calmer head.
"Hey, wanna try that again?" the kid had asked. "I don't think you were paying too much attention, ya?"
Auron didn't even notice the familiar accent. He simply stomped angrily down the corridor, mad with himself for getting cocky.
And now he was lost in some sort of jungly looking area--[i]inside[/i] the building. Well, Zell and Rinoa had said this was the Balamb Garden. Maybe this was the Garden itself?
Something chittered in the bushes, but the Crimson Warrior just leaned against a large rock, still scowling. Still sulking.
Something chittered again.
Then there was silence.
An ancient roar screamed through the air and Auron was jerked out of his brooding. Trees shook and a few cracked as they collapsed.
Something quite large was coming.
The roar bellowed again, a lot closer, as a T-Rexaur tore through the trees. It spotted Auron and charged.
[color=crimson]"Hmph."[/color] Auron had to laugh. If there was one thing he was good at... He nudged the Masamune higher on his shoulder and just waited for the right moment.
Baring its dagger teeth, the large red monster opened its gaping jaws...and found them shut again as Auron's sword cleaved up sharply from below its bottom jaw. The Crimson Warrior tore the sword out, then pulled it back behind him and leapt, swinging the Masamune in deadly arc. The T-Rexaur cried out in pain and collapsed to one side, one of its large scaly feet twitching.
[color=crimson]"Don't interrupt a brooding warrior ever again."[/color] Auron stepped to the body, searching for the T-Rexaur card, avoiding the monster's claws.
It sounded almost pityful now, mewling mixing with roaring. And just for a moment, Auron wondered if he should have attacked this creature, especially since he couldn't find the card.
A tremendous bellow, far deeper and much more ancient than the T-Rexaur's in front of him, shook the air just behind Auron. With a slow turn of his body, he looked behind him, only to find a large T-Rexaur eyeing him darkly, jaws slightly open and salivating.
The smaller one mewl roared again and the larger shoved Auron to one side with its massive head, nudging the smaller one gently.
[color=crimson]"Oh no...I just slaughtered...a baby..."[/color] Auron stood stunned, gazing at the baby, as if doing so could will it back to life.
But it didn't work. With a final weak cry, the baby rolled its eyes back into its head and died. In disbelief, the larger T-Rexaur roared softly, nudged the dead body once more, then stood motionless, soundless.
Auron was thoroughly and utterly shamed.
The T-Rexaur turned on him in an instant, shrieking and bellowing for all it was worth, eyes bloodshot and murderous.
Though not reknown for his speed, Auron put a few rumors to rest as he dug his boots into the soil and bolted as if his life depended on it...for it did.
Each time he thought he had lost it, the monster would come stomping through, finding him, screaming at him as he fled once more. After one minute, Auron had to abandon his sword in order to keep running--a dire drawback. After a few minutes (even without the weight of the Masamune now), Auron was beginning to wear out. He wedged himself in a small area, watching as the monster stepped past, and almost breathed a prayer of thanks when, suddenly, it stopped, sniffed the air, then whirled about to face him.
[i][color=crimson]How in the name of all that's truly holy does it keep doing that?![/color][/i] And with a sickening realization, Auron discovered it was smelling the spilt blood of the baby on his robe. The T-Rexaur snarled, opening its mouth wide. For the first time since this challenge had started, Auron felt fear--gut wrenching, stomach freezing fear. He was trapped, and the T-Rexaur knew it.
[i][color=crimson]All this for a bunch of bloody cards! Cid had better appreciate this.[/color][/i] With a deep breath scarcely let out through his nose, Auron looked at the free area just past the T-Rexaur. He just had to run beneath it and he would be safe.
Auron gave his short laugh again. [i][color=crimson]Cid had better[/i] really[i] appreciate this![/color][/i] And he pushed himself out of his small hiding spot, racing toward the T-Rexaur, beneath it, he could see the area just past the monster, was about to reach it, almost there--
And all his senses exploded dangerously in his far-too-small body as the T-Rexaur sunk its teeth into his leg. Unbalanced, Auron tumbled to the ground and grunted with pain as he hit. The monster firmed its grip and began to pull Auron backwards; desperate, he scrambled at the ground, trying to find a hold somewhere in the gravel, but without luck. He couldn't think now. The pain blinded him and ricochetted inside his head unbearably and in some detatched part of his brain, Auron wondered if this was how the baby had felt and whether this was his just punishment...
The T-Rexaur was trying to bite into his other foot now, still keeping a hold of his leg. He struggled feebily, kicked the free foot against the scaly head to keep it out of range, and the dinosaur growled in warning. Auron kept struggling, though, and in response, the monster stalked over to a large wall. It jerked its head once, as if unsure of what it was doing; the jerk swung Auron's body in a slight half-circle, not touching the wall yet. Satisfied, the T-Rexaur tried another, stronger, jerk, and made contact with the wall, slamming its prey against it. Auron cried out as his back was wracked with pain.
[i][color=crimson]Oh Aeons, I'm going to die. I'm really going to die this time.[/color][/i]
Auron, about to pass out, decided to go ahead and resign himself to his fate when...
[color=blue][size=1]"Come back here!"[/size][/color]
It was faint, but it was another person. Auron was sure of it.
A small flock of Glacial Eyes appeared, startling the T-Rexaur into dropping Auron. He collapsed and mercifully fainted.
The Glacial Eyes screeched in shock at the T-Rexaur snapping at them. Blizarra flew, teeth tore, and in a few moments, the remaining Glacial Eyes continued their flight away from danger.
[quote][center][b]Got T-Rexaur Card!
Got Glacial Eye Card![/b][/center][/quote]
Both cards fell deftly to the ground, wafted about by the dafts in the "garden". Both wedged themselves neatly into Auron's torn and stained robe, hidden from view.
[color=blue]"Sheesh, those things sure can--OH MY GODS!"[/color]
Rinoa had been the one chasing the Glacial Eyes, hoping to get a few cards. She already had one, but wanted to get a few more to trade with someone. And that's how she found Auron.
[color=blue]"Auron? [i]Auron?![/i]"[/color] Terrified, she shook Auron's shoulder and nearly sobbed in relief as his good eye fluttered open.
Auron groaned, croaked: [color=crimson]"Some kind of Garden you got..."[/color]
~~~~~~~
Final OoC: Mei, you can help Auron or just take him to a Balamb doctor, it doesn't matter. Rest assured Auron will be just fine next post. ^_~
Final OoC2: (Gah, too many of these!) This post was written in "memory" of the time I kept getting killed by those wretched T-Rexaurs when I was trying to figure out where Quistis was at the very beginning of the game.

Alright, Ginny, I accept your suggestion that there will be only 1 card each in the levels 8-10 (GF- and character-cards), just like in the real game. Notice that you can get lvl 10 cards only from certain people (check that site I showed you to learn who they are).

I want to say, in general, that I'm very satisfied what I see here. See, it wasn't [i]that[/i] hard! ;)

Well, I'll be back Monday to see how you all have progressed. Until then!

OoC: Oh no, Sage is only generally pleased! *comically freaks out*
^_~ Yeah, this isn't so bad. I hope I can get around to picking up one of those high level cards sooner or later.
OoC2: For Mei--if you did want to continue that post where Rinoa found Auron, go ahead. I'm going to leave a little hole in this post, a passage of time, if you will, that could be where Rinoa helped Auron. In the meantime, I'm going to go get more cards! ^^
OoC3: Bear in mind I know nothing about FF8 still, so if I describe something wrong, you do NOT have permission to crucify me. ^_~
~~~~~~~~
Auron was finally up and running again, much to the Balamb nurse's protest. She was still of the opinion that he needed rest, but the Crimson Warrior brushed that off.
Auron stretched, relieved to be released, and noticed that he was missing his robe. Not that he was worried, but he strode rather quickly to find the nurse and inquire about it.
"That old thing? We had to get it washed and mended. If you aren't gonna stay put, you are at least going to go out dressed properly!"
Auron grimaced, his back still aching a little, and pulled out the world map Cid had offered everyone when they first reached this world.
[color=crimson]"Hmmm...Tomb of the Unknown King...sounds interesting."[/color]
"Oh no you don't!" the nurse retorted as she bustled into the room with Auron's robe, clean, mended, and folded, two cards laying atop it. "The last thing I need is to patch you up again. You should feel fortunate that Rinoa found you when she did."
Auron slid his red robe back on, adjusting the sleeves accordingly. He was startled to find the T-Rexauar and Glacial Eye cards, but put them with the rest of his deck.
[color=crimson]"I [i]am[/i] grateful."[/color] He buckled his right arm bracer on and checked his belt.
"And you're gonna show it by going and getting yourself nearly killed again?"
Auron was quiet for a moment. He was remembering Rinoa telling him the death of the baby T-Rexaur had been in defense, not because of him. He sighed and shook his head, gripping the Masamune (which had been leaning against the wall near his cot) and hefting it on his back. [color=crimson]"That's not what I meant. Do you know where the nearest port to the Tomb is?"[/color]
"I'd be stupid to tell you. Why don't you just stay here and relax? I'll get you some tea and --HEY!"
Auron was already walking out the door.
[img]http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/elementis/Survivor/masamune.jpg[/img]

[i]At the Tomb of the Unknown King[/i]
Auron stepped onto the shore and looked about him. The boat was already pulling away, but the captain had reassured him the port in Galbadia could help him if he needed to get back to Balamb. For now, Auron was on his own. He checked his now heavily stocked supplies and allowed himself a grin--that prattling nanny nurse wasn't going to have to worry about him too much.
[color=crimson]"Back to work,"[/color] he mumbled, striding into the Tomb.
Something like a three winged bat brushed past him almost immediately, shrilling with a high voice. Auron steadied the Masamune with his right hand and waited. When it dove down again, he gripped the decorated handle with his left hand as well, swinging the massive blade powerfully. The Buel was in two pieces now.
[quote][center][b]Got Buel Card![/b][/center][/quote]
[color=crimson]"That was easy enough."[/color]
The Buels seemed to be the residental cave bat of the tomb, for Auron had to brush past several of them before he saw a new monster. Two of them, actually.
One was large, green armor on top and a bright orange to mark the soft underbelly. The large forearms seemed unusual as compared to its tiny back legs, and Auron figured this would be a brute that needed force.
The other creature he almost missed because it was like a shadow. It was, in fact, a shadow indeed, with long wispy tendrils for fingers and sickly red eyes and a white shark grin glowing with sadistic glee.
The Armadodo almost missed the Creeps in the darkness as well, until the shadow creature thwapped its hard green shell with smoky tendrils. The Armadodo snorted, unsure of what hit it; a tendril was still touching it, and this agitated the monster. It tried to shake it off, but the Creeps only grinned nastily, the tendril still attached.
Bellowing, the Armadodo charged and ripped the Creeps apart. Something like a crazy giggle escaped the shadow monster as the tendril attached to the Armadodo was torn from the rest of the Creeps' body. The Creeps died...
...but as the tendril dangled limply from the Armadodo's shoulder, it began to wriggle. The Armadodo snorted and clawed at it, trying to dislodge it. In an instant the tendril turned white hot and the Armadodo was screaming in pain. With a loud thump, it collapsed on the floor, dead.
A card floated out where the Armadodo had lain. Though he had not slain it, Auron wasn't about to pass up the chance to grab the card. As he walked to it, he wished it had been that easy to get a Creeps card. Something was rather unnerving about that monster.
[quote][center][b]Got Armadodo Card![/b][/center][/quote]
A sibilant hiss caught his attention and Auron watched as the severed tendril dropped from the Armadodo's dead body. It hovered in midair, then reformed into the Creeps. For a split second, its body shone the colors of the Armadodo, then it turned completely black and shadowy.
Auron's voice was full of sarcasm. [color=crimson]"Ah, a, uh, life stealer. Great."[/color]
The Creeps giggled maniacally, waving its tendrils at him. Auron glared, shouldering the Masamune.
[color=crimson]"There is no way in Heaven or Hell that I am going back to that nurse!"[/color]
The red eyes glowered at him, and the Creeps shot its tendrils out. Auron betrayed all traces of being slow and steady as he ducked between the tendrils. One still managed to stick to his neck, and Auron looked somewhat concerned.
[color=crimson]"Life stealers cannot revive until their opponent is dead. It would be too easy for me to kill you, because then I would die and you wouldn't. And wouldn't that be a terrible way to get evicted after all this time."[/color] Auron smirked, touching his gloved finger to the tendril. [color=crimson]"All right. Only one way to fix this, then."[/color] He wound his index finger around the tendril until it was forced to pop off his neck. A tiny spot of blood welled up, for the end of the tendril seemed to be leechlike. The Creeps hissed darkly, shooting out more tendrils, but Auron had already put a Reflect spell (taught courtesy of Yuna, among other people, some time ago) in place. The tendrils bounced off, enraging the Creeps.
Auron charged at it, the tendril still wrapped around his finger, and the rest of his right hand wrapped around the Masamune's handle. In one deft motion, he planted the tendril against the Creeps body, then slashed it with his sword.
The Creeps convulsed bodily. It was slain, yet it was attempting to drain life from the victim it had attached to. Being that its victim was itself, it was only killing itself faster. The glowing red eyes turned white, and it gibbered angrily at Auron. In a puff of black smoke, it was gone.
[quote][center][b]Got Creeps Card![/b][/center][/quote]
Buels shot overhead, screeching, and Auron detected the sound of more sibilant hissing. He decided to press on to the center of the Tomb before anything else attacked him.

The Tomb itself was immense. There were a few places for torches along the cavern walls, but only one or two were faintly giving off light. The rest of walls were intricately detailed with carvings and paint, and Auron felt a sudden pang of memory for the Phoenix Esper.
[color=crimson]"No matter what world, all Summon Monsters seem to have the hidden cave deal down pat. Especially if they don't want to be found."[/color] He glanced about the cave. [color=crimson]"As this one seems to be."[/color]
Auron waited for a few more moments, but he realized he had to get moving to Galbadia soon to get more cards. It was a shame, really--if he had managed to defeat the Minotaur and Sacred rumored to dwell here, he would have walked away with powerhouse cards, indeed.
Auron took one of the torches from the wall (to scare away any more Creeps that might try to ambush him) and walked back to the opening of the Tomb. He was stopped by the Minotaur slamming into the ground just in front of him.
[img]http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/elementis/Survivor/minotaur.jpg[/img]
The large violet creature waved his weapon and threw his golden horned head back, bellowing his challenge loudly. Auron could almost immediately pick out his weak spot and calmly closed his eye for a moment in amusement. He shifted his slung arm out and beckoned the Minotaur to "bring it on".
The earth shook again, just behind him this time.
[img]http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/elementis/Survivor/sacred.jpg[/img]
[color=crimson]"Great. Double trouble."[/color] Auron shook his head and eyed the Minotaur's twin, Sacred, who had crimson horns instead of golden ones. Sacred also bellowed his challenge at Auron.
[color=crimson]"All right, then,"[/color] Auron said gruffly, [color=crimson]"Let's get this over with."[/color]
~~~~~~
EDIT
Yet ANOTHER OoC: E hee hee, I have something for Sage's birthday. Mu haw haw--and he can't get it till it's Tuesday in my neck of the world! :devil: But you've like it, Sage, trust me! ;)