OtakuBoards

Lord of the rings

Lord Prozen

what do you think of lord of the rings?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. what do you think of lord of the rings?

• DUDE I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!
    • its ok.
    • I HATE IT!
    • whats lord of the rings?

[color=royalblue]hey what do you think of the lord of the rings movies? and do you think the 3 one is gonna be good? i really like the first one and the 2 second one is cool and i hope that the third one is good too. what do you guys think?(yes i know its a stupid thread)[/color]

[color=darkblue][size=1][i]I love this movie. I think the 3rd one is going to be the best. Well as long as it stay along with the book. Well yeah I liked the second one and the first one of course is good cuz it started the story. So I lke them all to make it short.

P.S. You messed up on the color coding.[/color][/size][/i]

[color=navy][i] I really do love these movies. Personaly I think they are amoung the best ever made.
Did anyone every think how hard it would be to turn a written piece of literature into a motion picture? It's not an easy task. Countless hours reading the book over and over, trying to perfect the scenes according to the authors description. Working on only visuals painted by the words to create the set.
Considering how difficult this must have been, they really did an excellent job. Some other movies based on books are nothing comapred to this. Lik for example, Kujo. The book got right into the dog's mind, and the movie was simply a rabid dog on a rampage.
~Matto[/color][/i]

There have been sooooo many attempts to make this movie, and finally someone gets it right, Kudos to Peter Jackson. Though I'm kinda mad that they ended the movie un-true(tell me if I'm wrong, i might be, haven't read it in a few months)but doesn't the second book end a little later, like(desperately trying not to spoil anything) Frodo, Sam, and Smeagol getting seperated??Anywho, I really want to see how they pull off the battle of Plennor fields, i think it will look completely awesome. Anywho, I still think the movies a great!!! I'm hopeing they'll do the stuff in the Shire and then going to the Undying Lands at the very end.

The movies were stunning. I'm really impressed at how the director could pull off such a powerful feature. He really did capture the magic of Tolkein's realm. It has been, and could have been alot worse (bakashi!!!!). Anyway, the third one WILL be the best, pelennor feilds? Comon people, everything comes crashing down in the finale, no doubts about it.

I read somewhere that Tolkein wished hollywood would try and make a movie after his books, that seemed to appeal to him. I wish he weren't dead, his offspring really are money grubbers leeching off an estate earned entirely by their father. Yes Christopher, I'm talking to YOU.

The movies so far are really well directed. They almost follow the book word for word. They do exactly what the book says. Also I think the people who played the characters such as Orlando Bloom did a great job.

I actually liked the second one better but I'd have to say they're both really good. The reason I like the second one better is because it has Legalos and much more fighting. The battles where very detailed and nice.

All in all I think they are very good movies, and if the same director and same skill and effort they put into those two, the third will be really good.

While the book does have more detail the two movies so far are excellent. Even if you don't compare them to the books they are like a replica of the books.

When people complained about how the first movie just stopped I was absolutely in disagreement with them because it ended almost exactly like the books did.

If the third movie relates to the third book then I predict a complete success in the rating of it.;)

Someone mentioned the books ending differently from the films. This has to be done, really. There are certain rules to good film making that don't exactly mesh with these books. You don't want to end a film with some of the things the novels end with. It just wouldn't go over well. They have to appeal to more groups than simply Tolkein fans.

I see no real problems with the movies. I still need to buy the DVDs though.

I love 1 & 2. I can't wait till numbah 3. I haven't read any of the books, but I think some day I will. But I really need to buy the DVD's. I love the fighting and just about everything else!
My fav character is Legolas... haha, my friend has the total hots for Orlando Bloom, especially in elf form, lol.

Guest Amarant
I totally love Lord Of The Rings. I prefer the books to the films though. But i still think the movies are exellent :D :D ;)

I really love the books and am a big fan of the movies. I think they did a great translation of the story, but they are too damn long. I always ended up with a numb posterior after about two hours of it. Oh but wouldn't it be really cool to see the movie without having read the books. I bet it would be even better if I didn't know what was going to happen already. Has anyone seen and liked it without having read it yet?

[COLOR=deeppink]They took too much leeway, in my opinion. They took out too many characters that I absolutely loved, and added nearly twenty minutes of junk that never should have been assosiated with Tolkein. (For anyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about, it's that piece of filth romantic scene between Aragorn and Arwyn. Blasted directers and their artistic freedom.)

I understand that it is humanly impossible to incorporate every single thing of the book into the movie; I never would have sat through a movie that had an entire hour dedicated to Hobbit mannerisms.

I wish they had left the Barrow-downs scene in, but I guess they couldn't since they took out Bombadil, the jerks. Bombadil is one of my favorite characters.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=deeppink]Tom Bombadil is the first, and he will be the last. He was there before the trees, before the rocks, before the sky. He watched the world grow from its infancy. He has power over things through song, and the One Ring has no power over him.

I know that's not the exact quote, but I guess you get the idea that he is one of a kind, all though the woman who lives with him (who's name I can't remember) might be the same as he. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Nerdsy [/i]
[B][COLOR=deeppink]Tom Bombadil is the first, and he will be the last. He was there before the trees, before the rocks, before the sky. He watched the world grow from its infancy. He has power over things through song, and the One Ring has no power over him.

I know that's not the exact quote, but I guess you get the idea that he is one of a kind, all though the woman who lives with him (who's name I can't remember) might be the same as he. [/COLOR] [/B][/QUOTE] [color=navy] [i] Her name's Goldberry..
I don't mind completly that they left Tom Bombadil out. They can't make the movie just as long as they want it to be, it does have to have some guidelines in length. The hobbit's stay for a good while in his house, and that would add 10-15 minutes to the movie, where they really didn't do anything that would effect the plot. The Barrow Downs would be cool, but they can't happen for the same reason.
I do wish they showd a [b]little[/b] more on how they got to Bree though..in the movie they just kind of appeared there..
~Matto[/color][/i]

Ah, The Lord of the Rings.. Personally, they are my favorite movies of all time, Fellowship coming before Two Towers.

I'd never seen an epic action/fantasy/adventure movie before LOTR: Fellowship, and I was totally blown away how the actors fit the roles so well and the music was really great. WETA did a sweet job as well. (They're part-taking in the Evangelion movie too. Raise da roof!)

Two Towers just wasn't as exciting for me for some reason.. It [i]is[/i] the middle movie, somewhat cursing it, but I don't find it to be a "filler movie" as much as some trilogy movies.. It was still amazing, but there was that one scene with Gollum fighting with himself.. That got laughs out of the audience, which I found to be rather.. Childish. It would be difficult to give a scene like that out without it coming off as silly, but I believe they did it rather well. It's showing his struggle within himself, not some stupid quirk that is there to give the movie some humor...

I am really lookin' forward to the third one though.. *gasp* I just remembered, I haven't read the third book..! *runs to his bookshelf*

I suppose this is better than starting up a thread of my own.. hopefully:

-THIS IS MY OFFICIAL CHALLENGE! HOW CAN YOU TELL IT'S OFFICIAL? WHY, I'M TYPING IN ALL CAPS, THEREFORE IT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING YOU HAVE READ OR TALKED ABOUT TODAY. (drip, sarcasm, drip) I SERIOUSLY CHALLENGE ANYONE TO A PM LOTR QUIZ, COVERING ALL OF TOLKEIN'S OFFICIAL WORKS (THE TRILOGY, HOBBIT, AND SIL). IF ANY OF YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO FACE ME, WELL , PM ME. I'M GOING TO END BEFORE I START GETTING REDUNDANT, SO IF ANY OF YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO FACE ME, WELL ....

[color=blue]Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed the series, and I can't wait for the 3rd to be released.
I read the books before viewing the movies, and I although I was unhappy with them leaving out Tom Bombadil as has already been expressed by others in this thread, I understand the reasons behind it. Leaving out the Barrow Downs also sucks, but still, the movies rocked.
I'm glad they didn't choose huge film stars to take on these roles. People like Viggo Mortenson etc have done such an excellent job in portraying these characters, that they should all have many offers awaiting them in film. Can't wait for the last.[/color]

The movies are some of my favorites of all time! It took an awful lot of talent to put them together as well as they did. Peter Jackson is awesome (he likes carrots, too, from his little cameo in FOTR). Anyway, The Return of the King was my favorite book of the three (although Two Towers is a very close second.) From what I've seen and heard, the third movie will be just as awesome as the others (if not more so...) ^_^
I do, however, have a few complaints:
They push the power of the ring so much that it screws up some of the characters. Examples: Faramir and Galadriel
Galadriel is supposed to a completely awesome, comforting Mother-figure (essentially, Mary--Tolkien was a CATHOLIC. Go Tolkien!!) Instead, they made her obsessed with passing the test to the point that she was downright cold until after she passed it. She was supposed to be good all the way through.
As for Faramir, what was with him taking Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath and nearly taking the ring from them completely? It made him look as power-hungry as Boromir!! At least they got it right by the end and let them go.
There are a few things, as well, that I think the movies improved. Like Arwen's active participation. In the books it was like, "And she sat there was beautiful...And she was beautiful to look upon...And everyone was stunned by her beauty..." and so on and so forth...
Duorocks17 is telling me to shut up. ^_^
But I have another point to make!! **hand shoots out and grabs the keyboard away**
PM ME!! **giggles**

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth [/i]
[B]THIS IS MY OFFICIAL CHALLENGE! HOW CAN YOU TELL IT'S OFFICIAL? WHY, I'M TYPING IN ALL CAPS, THEREFORE IT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYTHING YOU HAVE READ OR TALKED ABOUT TODAY. (drip, sarcasm, drip) I SERIOUSLY CHALLENGE ANYONE TO A PM LOTR QUIZ, COVERING ALL OF TOLKEIN'S OFFICIAL WORKS (THE TRILOGY, HOBBIT, AND SIL). IF ANY OF YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO FACE ME, WELL , PM ME. I'M GOING TO END BEFORE I START GETTING REDUNDANT, SO IF ANY OF YOU HAVE THE GUTS TO FACE ME, WELL .... [/B][/QUOTE]
1) Please try not to type in all-caps. One or two words in CAPS might catch somebody's attention, but an entire paragraph in CAPS makes people [b]not[/b] want to read it. It's just too gaudy and distracting.

2) You can hold your quiz over PM if you want, but I think the quiz would be more successful if you made a LOTR Quiz thread in the Literature forum. Just a suggestion.

Guest EyesofAura
man i absolutly LOVE lord of the rings! they all were great! i think the 3rd one is going to be the best of them all!Orlando Bloom is so hot playing Legolas! i love legolas

[size=1]This thread pains me.

Nerdsy: I was miffed that they left Bombadil out as well. I really liked him (although Aragorn's been my favorite for years.) There is a section in the appendices about Aragorn and Arwen, however. It wasn't in the story itself, but they didn't pull it out of the blue.

Duorocks: What, exactly, is it for which Pippin and Merry are not getting enough credit?

And while Bloom's version of Legolas is cool, well... Legolas really shouldn't be fangirl fodder. In the books, he's a giddy little elf-child who breaks out into song sometimes, heh.[/size]