OtakuBoards

Xbox 360

Guest cloricus

I'd agree with the fact that the 360 really isn't that great or impressive (especially without an HDTV). The thing that is impressive is certain games doing exactly what needs to happen in this next generation: Advanced Artificial Intelligence. Namely, Call Of Duty 2.

I am totally blown away by this game. Having enemies that fight like you do, with well placed grenades and ambushes as you retreat is what we need. We need to feel like we are fighting [B]REAL PEOPLE[/B], not difficulty wise, but style-wise. Enemies that don't have better guns but better strategy, to the point that you feel yourself seeing that enemy as a real person.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've heard intel and nvidia are working on the ps3 with sony, i dont really like the idea of the next gens....im happy with my consoles...

purchasing and purchaing new and new stuff is getting old....it's publicity to trick these "n00bs" to buy more stuff...

i dont think getting a 360 right away is necessary...

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]I got the 360 at launch. I did little work to get mine. I walked into Walmart two hours before launch and took my #2 spot in the long line. It's good to have friends.

So far, I really like it. I've only been playing [i]Perfect Dark Zero[/i], and I feel it's a worthwhile purchase. The game takes elements from the N64 classic and implements them for the new generation. Sure, there are some issues with stealth (like the original), a pointless dive move and the lack of jumping, but the gameplay itself more than makes up for it. It's also weird that Joanna mysteriously lacks an English accent. Hopefully people will be reminded why [i]Halo[/i] was already behind the times when it came out in 2001.

However, I'm more impressed with the online capabilities of the 360 itself. I love the sense of community the 360 gives me with the gamertag, the marketplace, Xbox Live Arcade and friends. I like it so much that I'm already disappointed that the PS3 and Revolution won't have this level of quality with their online plans. It truly is a joy to just browse the 360 menus.[/color][/font]

ahh great online features....wow...makes me think of getting one...

i'll wait in purchasing any next gen i'll wait till all 3 are out i like the innovative style of the nintendo rev....i like the games the ps3 has to offer...the 360 is all about online play...but in the end it all comes back to the games....

once an outstanding title cathces my eye...then i'll buy...to tell you the truth not even MGS4 impresses me...:| and i love MGS :|

[quote name='Morpheus']I'd agree with the fact that the 360 really isn't that great or impressive (especially without an HDTV)[/quote]

I guess that all depends. If you have a really powerful gaming rig then I'm sure it won't be very impressive. But, aside from its ugly character models, I found Perfect Dark Zero to be extremely impressive from a visual standpoint. The textures, lighting and particle effects are far beyond what the current generation of systems can do. Even the gun models are super realistic. Kameo is impressive too for the very same technical reasons. Once we get past these first generation games and we see software that uses advanced geometry on top of all this, then we'll see a really big difference which will hopefully affect how games play too. Right now you really shouldn't be concerned with how the games look (because as I said, they look great). You should be hoping that they offer a better playing experience than what we've seen before. So far my main gripe is that any of these games could be done on a last generation console--just with worse graphics.

Also, lately I've been thinking about getting an HDTV to get the most out of everything but I should mention that the games [i]are[/i] impressive on a standard television also.

Haha, Charles, I didn't know you won off of every10minutes. How many caps did you enter?

I was never really planning on getting a 360 at launch. Perfect Dark Zero and Elder Scrolls IV were the games that would get, but neither of those are actually system-sellers to me. Overall I'm just rather wary of Microsoft's early release strategy, since no majorly mind-blowing next generation-looking games have been released yet (I'm aware that there are some very lovely particle/smoke effects already, but that alone doesn't scream "worth $400" to me).

Between an early release, shortages, so-so-looking launch titles and the occasionaly faulty unit, I guess some parallels could be drawn between the Playstation 2 launch and the 360's. And for that reason, I'm very, very glad that I'm just stepping back and waiting for some of the proverbial dust to settle.

Hey, recently I heard from a gamer-nut friend of mine that there have been a number of technical problems associated with the 360 (I believe some people are actually being instructed to ship the 360 back to Microsoft for some reason). Does anyone have any sources that confirm or deny this? Haven't been in touch with him since but this friend of mine is usually on target... anyone know anything about it?

As far as buying a next gen system is concerned, I'm waiting till all three systems come out before I'm making a decision. In fact, might be buying a used GC in the upcoming weeks in hopes of seeing a Twilight Princess one day *smirks* but beh, all the systems can wait... it'll be good to see them come down in price too... eventually... hopefully. :)

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]GameSpot confirmed that some people are having issues with the console (discs getting scratched, games freezing, overheating, etc), but Microsoft said the number of reports is quite low. Then again, that was more than expected. It's launch time, so there's bound to be bad consoles released, which is not at all out of the ordinary.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Cyke][font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]GameSpot confirmed that some people are having issues with the console (discs getting scratched, games freezing, overheating, etc), but Microsoft said the number of reports is quite low. Then again, that was more than expected. It's launch time, so there's bound to be bad consoles released, which is not at all out of the ordinary.[/color'][/font][/quote]I must be missing something... I would think ordinary would be a system that works perfectly fine, does its job well, plays its games and turns off at the end of the night. Being brand new doesn't give it the right to have problems, does it? I?m not quite sure how acceptable such errors are... after all this is a little too soon for this sort of thing. It should be considered that perhaps the system was released too soon. If I spent that kind of money on a brand new system and it overheated, I?d probably return the thing and wait a few more months to try X360 again, if I ever tried it again. *Is checking online, looks like some X360 owners are quite pissed*

[font=franklin gothic medium]Apparently most of the problems seem to be related to the power brick and overheating. The power brick has its own fan and therefore, it must be kept in a well-ventilated spot. Apparently if it gets too warm, the system shuts itself down as a safety measure.

However, this doesn't really explain the "black screen of death" issue that has been coming up on some systems. I don't know if that's related to overheating or another issue entirely.

This is partly why I may wait a little while, to see if they can get some of these early bugs out before newer shipments arrive.[/font]

[quote name='persocomblues'] It should be considered that perhaps the system was released too soon.[/quote]

I'd say that that is a rational explanation, Whe nthe PS2 was first released it had quite a few problems but was eventually fixed up in a few months or so. Microsoft did seem to have rushed the 360 a bit to release by Christmas, huh?

[quote name='The Monster']I'd say that that is a rational explanation, Whe nthe PS2 was first released it had quite a few problems but was eventually fixed up in a few months or so. Microsoft did seem to have rushed the 360 a bit to release by Christmas, huh?[/quote]Oh I'm sure there are problems with any (and most) game systems when they're first released, it still strikes me wrong that it was the first of three next generation game systems out - and yes indeed as you point out - before Christmas, containing errors. To me that means poor planning or downright poor mechanics... either way, they weren't prepared in my opinion. Now of course that might not foretell anything about the future success of the X360, it's still disturbing though.

[font=franklin gothic medium]You aren't sure of its future, even though it had a relatively large launch lineup...and has bigger support than its predecessor?

I think it's just way too early to even have that discussion, lol. Maybe it will be a valid discussion in a year's time, but surely not now. The system has only just launched within the last few days - give it a little breathing room first. ~_^[/font]

Especially since Sony had those same franchises going for them this generation and the Xbox still ended up doing well. Consider that we've seen very little or nothing of how any of those three games are going to play, and it's obvious that two of them are irrelevant.

[quote name='persocomblues']I must be missing something... I would think ordinary would be a system that works perfectly fine, does its job well, plays its games and turns off at the end of the night. Being brand new doesn't give it the right to have problems, does it? I?m not quite sure how acceptable such errors are... after all this is a little too soon for this sort of thing. It should be considered that perhaps the system was released too soon. If I spent that kind of money on a brand new system and it overheated, I?d probably return the thing and wait a few more months to try X360 again, if I ever tried it again. *Is checking online, looks like some X360 owners are quite pissed*[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms][color=darkblue]Yep, if you want to play it safe, you shouldn't bother in getting a system at launch time. What you said about expecting the system to be perfect and such is the way things should be, but sadly that isn't the case. My first-gen Xbox and GameCube broke down shortly after their warranties expired, and I take extremely good care of them. One had the crappy Thompson drive that does not do well with dual-layered DVDs, and the GCN could not read my games thanks to faulty lens. However, I had several factors going for me that made me get the system early. My parents agreed that this would be their Christmas present to me, so no money off [i]my[/i] pocket. Secondly, I like the excitement of getting a brand new system and am also studying Game Design & Development, so getting a console early and trying it out helps me keep in touch with the next generation of gaming. I intend to do the same when the PS3 and Revolution come out too, if financially possible. [/color][/font]

[QUOTE=RANFI44]360 sucks. No doubt about it.
Paulie want a cracker? No, No because 360
ruined everything with its massive suckiness.[/QUOTE]
Would it be out of line to ask to have this post removed? LOL, I'm sure a lot of people feel a myriad of different ways toward these next generation game systems. I for one support any and all opinions. I've only seen the 360, I think it is impressive, but that's it... so I like reading people's opinions here, this opinion of yours is poorly founded (in fact you provided no support for your opinions at all).

Guest Hidetsugu
The new xbox in my eyes is mostly just a shinier xbox. All of the good stuff costs extra.Kinda dumb if you ask me. :animeswea

[font=franklin gothic medium]Guys, please watch the post quality. It's lacking quite a lot right now, lol.

In response to your post, Grave Yard...the answer is simple. A superior hardware design, coupled with a better controller and far more Japanese developer support right off the bat. That's how Xbox 360 is more appealing to Japanese consumers than its predecessor was.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee that it will do amazingly well either...but it's certainly got a far better chance than the first generation Xbox had.[/font]

[quote name='The Monster']I'd say that that is a rational explanation, Whe nthe PS2 was first released it had quite a few problems but was eventually fixed up in a few months or so. Microsoft did seem to have rushed the 360 a bit to release by Christmas, huh?[/quote]
well so far it has no glitches what so ever unlike the original xbox did when it was released, so I do not think it was rushed what so ever and Ill enjoy mine when the second shipment is in.
-Hidetsugu-
" The new xbox in my eyes is mostly just a shinier xbox. All of the good stuff costs extra.Kinda dumb if you ask me."
If you just buy the premium package then it come with all the extra stuff. Hardrive, wireless controller, DVD controller, silver membership, and couple more things.
And this leads me to the question which do you want if you want the system, premium, or core packadge, and what games as well?

I don't want one right now, but a word of advice: [I]Never, under any circumstances, buy the core package.[/I] It is simply a waste of your time. Core+ 64mb Memory Card=$340. Premium with wireless controller, remote, 20 GB HD, Headset, and HD cables=$400.

On a side note, even if you get the premium, the prices are gouged around the board. $39.99 for a wired controller is crazy.

Okay Well I do have a 360, but I will only say a few things. Yes it may have it's problems but most systems do at release, thats why microsoft only had a small shipment so they if they had a lot of problems. Also ya right now it may look like a shinier new xbox but thats only because game developers haven't learned to use it to it's full potention yet. Just like the ps2 on it's release, I mean on the ps2 the first gen games compared to the games on it now are so different. One more thing it's only a small percentage of xbox 360 having these problems, and most are related to cooling issues which can lead to buffer problems, or people are just retarted and decide to have it from the horizontal to position to the vertical as there playing so it scratches their disk. Other than that it's not a biggy they can easily fix it until the next shipment, and they DO COME WITH WARRANTIES so you can send them back for a new one that WORKS.