OtakuBoards

Xbox 360

Guest cloricus

[QUOTE=Xx_Chaos_xX]No. New gen video games are going to cost $60, so i hate to see how much this will cost.
[/QUOTE]

Oh whoopy doo! Games in the UK can set you back £40 already, that's the equivalent to like $76 with today's exchange rates.

I'll most likely end up buying the console, hopefully Microsoft will overprice it, and then we can wait for a massive bomb in price again.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE]I'll most likely end up buying the console, hopefully Microsoft will overprice it, and then we can wait for a massive bomb in price again.[/QUOTE]
yup, 600 i beat will be the price
anyway if you seen pictues of the Ps3 its already been proven FAKE. Apparantly it was made guys from some magazine...
Mirco pushed the limits on what is consitered on console. It bulit a computer and called it a console. Sony I guess isn't pushing any limits, yet they still suck with the load times. I only have one game GT Pisses me off, waiting for this that and everything else
More shots of the Xbox 360 thingymajig, though

[url] http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/4/xbox360/remote.jpg[/url]
[url]http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/4/xbox360/37943.jpg[/url]
I read somewhere that you were able to customize your dash.

Hmmm apparantly the Xbox 360 specifications have leaked. They seem legit, although you should keep open the possibility that it's fake.

Here we go:

The Hardware:
1. Support for DVD-video, DVD-Rom, DVD-R/RW, CD-DA, CD-Rom, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 cd, JPEG photo CD
2. All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing
3. Customizable face plates to change appearance
4. 3 USB 2.0 ports
5. Support for 4 wireless controllers
6. Detachable 20GB drive
7. Wi-Fi ready

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
- 3 symmetrical cores at 3.2 GHz each
- 2 hardware threads per core
- 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core
- 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance
- 9 billion dots per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor
- 500 MHz
- 10 MB embedded DRAM
- 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
- unified shader architecture

Memory
-512 MB GDDR3 RAM
- 700 MNz DDR

Memory Bandwidth
- 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
- 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
- 21.6 GB/s frontside bus

Audio
- Mulitchannel surround sond output
- Supports 48khz 16-bit audio
- 320 independent decompression channels
- 32 bit processing
- 256+ audio channels

It might be fake

[color=red][b]Edit:[/b] Chaos, please edit your post rather than double-posting. Thanks. - James[/color]

So far, most of the games, except for Gears of War look like complete crap. I was especially disappointed by Perfect Dark Zero and Dead or Alive 4. DOA looks only marginally better than current generation software whereas Perfect Dark looks [I]worse[/I]. Games like Full Auto also look strikingly similar to current generation games. I'd say it looked a lot like Burnout 3, only with slightly better destruction effects. It's unfortunate that I've seen little that surpasses this generation of consoles in any way whatsoever.

I watched about 5 minutes of the MTV special, but I can't sit through that kind of program where they just fill up space and tease you into watching the whole program and only show off the system in the end. Reading about 360 on gamespot took only 5 minutes and was a much better option.

It sounds cool, I like the detachable hard drive idea. The numbers don't mean much to me though. I don't really like the way it looks standing up. I liked Sony's idea of trying to make something that would fit in next to a CD player/VCR or whatever in an entertainment system (even though PS2 is kinda ugly).

Anyway, unless something drastically changes I'll go ahead with my plan of Buying a PS3 which should have the best games, and maybe later a Nintendo so I can play Zelda and the other cool Nintendo only games. I suspect that Nintendo's console might be the coolest of them all though, they've been getting more creative lately with stuff like the DS.

Could they have thought of a gayer name than the "Xbox 360"? So what, the Xbox is going to wait long enough to turn around in a full circle before progressing? And what about the design?

[img]http://img192.echo.cx/img192/2663/xbox3606se.jpg[/img]

That doesn't look slick at all! It looks like a DVD player! And if you think that's bad...

[img]http://img192.echo.cx/img192/5016/xbox360c8js.jpg[/img]

So not only is it called the "Xbox 360", its going for some space crap look? Ugh. The people that came up with this design need to be shot! Are they really that out of ideas that they need to resort to this?

I'm probably still going to get it eventually, but its going to look pretty stupid sitting in my room if they decide to keep it looking like this. Here's hoping that they unveil something different at E3.

I think I know why Microsoft has named it 360. They are taking a completely different aproach: XBox was all about the power, and this one isn't all about the power (obviously). This will most likely hurt Microsoft's game division even more than XBox did, as people that didn't buy Xbox probably won't buy 360, and 360 doesn't cater to the current xbox crowd.

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=#808080]They aren't going to unveil anything different; this is the final design. The console is launching at the end of this year, so they really don't have time to change the design now. lol

The actual console is pretty medicore looking, I think. I personally just think that it's cliche and unoriginal, mostly. It's bland. I wouldn't say that it's actually "ugly", but by the same token, it isn't inspired in the slightest. If I'd drawn that design myself, I would be angry at myself for not being more original.

The controller seems fine though, I mean, it [i]looks[/i] a lot more comfortable than the original Xbox controller. Shape-wise, it reminds me of something Sega would make (which isn't helped by the colouring and buttons, which are very Dreamcast-esque). But that isn't really a bad thing.

Overall I think that Xbox Live is going to be impressive, but that's probably the only major draw-card. None of the games announced so far interest me very much. I'm mildly curious about Perfect Dark Zero, although it's still in development and little can be said about it so far. I'm also interested in Kameo. But my interest for those games is only pretty mild; I'm far more interested in current generation stuff right now, like Okami and the new Zelda.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Morpheus']I think I know why Microsoft has named it 360. They are taking a completely different aproach: XBox was all about the power, and this one isn't all about the power (obviously). This will most likely hurt Microsoft's game division even more than XBox did, as people that didn't buy Xbox probably won't buy 360, and 360 doesn't cater to the current xbox crowd.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=#808080]The name comes from the idea of "putting the gamer in the center" (of the Xbox universe).

I'm not sure how you came to your second conclusion, lol. How is it that Xbox 360 will hurt their gaming division more than the original system?

I can understand that logic if you're talking about something like manufacturing cost (even though we don't know what the retail price will be yet). But your comment about non-Xboxers not buying Xbox 360 makes little sense for a variety of reasons.

First and foremost, Xbox 360 will be the first next generation system to launch. A lot of early adopters are going to have an interest in that.

Secondly - and partly due to the slump in the Japanese market during the last four years - quite a few Japanese studios are going to be supporting the new system from day one. This is noteable for two reasons. Firstly, it means that they acknowledge the weakness in the Japanese market and therefore, they're building games that will have broader appeal (ie: games that will help to generate sales in western markets). But also, their support will help to put Xbox 360 in a much better position at launch (in Japan).

If you look at everything from Xbox Live, to the added functionality, to the actual raw design, you have a system that is obviously being aimed at a more mainstream consumer than the previous model. I don't know how anyone can say that people who avoided Xbox will avoid Xbox 360. I don't know what you're basing that assumption on.[/color][/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium][color=#808080]The name comes from the idea of "putting the gamer in the center" (of the Xbox universe).

I'm not sure how you came to your second conclusion, lol. How is it that Xbox 360 will hurt their gaming division more than the original system?

I can understand that logic if you're talking about something like manufacturing cost (even though we don't know what the retail price will be yet). But your comment about non-Xboxers not buying Xbox 360 makes little sense for a variety of reasons.

First and foremost, Xbox 360 will be the first next generation system to launch. A lot of early adopters are going to have an interest in that.

Secondly - and partly due to the slump in the Japanese market during the last four years - quite a few Japanese studios are going to be supporting the new system from day one. This is noteable for two reasons. Firstly, it means that they acknowledge the weakness in the Japanese market and therefore, they're building games that will have broader appeal (ie: games that will help to generate sales in western markets). But also, their support will help to put Xbox 360 in a much better position at launch (in Japan).

If you look at everything from Xbox Live, to the added functionality, to the actual raw design, you have a system that is obviously being aimed at a more mainstream consumer than the previous model. I don't know how anyone can say that people who avoided Xbox will avoid Xbox 360. I don't know what you're basing that assumption on.[/color][/font][/QUOTE]

Yes, the comment on hurting the game division was based on manufacturing cost.

Here are a few consumer groups that wont buy xbox:
1 Hardcore Sony (those that refuse anything else)
2 Hardcore Nintendo (those that refuse anything else)
3 Casual gamers(whom 360 is targeting) that were at all put off by xbox
4 People in general that were put off by xbox that don't necessarily follow industry news.
5 Parents(a very significant group). Most I've seen bought xbox last if at all simply because Nintendo and Playstation are household names.
6 Graphic nuts(the early adopters of xbox)

[QUOTE=Morpheus]Yes, the comment on hurting the game division was based on manufacturing cost.

4 People in general that were put off by xbox that don't necessarily follow industry news.
5 Parents(a very significant group). Most I've seen bought xbox last if at all simply because Nintendo and Playstation are household names.
6 Graphic nuts(the early adopters of xbox)[/QUOTE]

You forgot Number 7. People that cannot afford it because of outragous price tags. I mean, The original X-Box was originally sold for about $650 at first in Australia that originally put me (Still has) and many people off it. I hated it because of its size and design and It looks like Microsoft has still not tried to fix up these problems.

[QUOTE=Morpheus]
6 Graphic nuts(the early adopters of xbox)[/QUOTE]

[color=#737373]But you're saying that as if it's a fact. It isn't.

A lot of people who owned Nintendo 64 never bought a GameCube. Many of them bought a PlayStation 2 or an Xbox.

The people who are totally brand-loyal and who never buy systems made by other manufacturers represent a [i]very small[/i] portion of the market. Very, very small. So small that they don't really factor into the equation.

Additionally, you're assuming that casual gamers were put off by Xbox. Where on earth do you get that from? As a matter of fact, Xbox was responsible for attracting a great deal of casual gamers. Apart from any kind of market data, I can say that based on anecdotal experience. A [i]lot[/i] of Xbox owners I know are people who are very "casual" with games and who know little about them. These are people who never knew enough about GameCube to buy one and they weren't as interested in PlayStation 2.

But that brings me to my next point - and something that your list above ignores. A very large percentage of console owners in the current generation are multi-console owners. In other words, they often own more than one system. In many cases that's a PS2 and an Xbox. In some cases that includes all three platforms. That trend is expected to continue, as gamers grow up and spend more income on video games.

Finally, Xbox 360 is largely the antithesis of the original Xbox in a sense. At least in an industrial design sense, it's going to appeal to a lot of people who paid no attention to the first machine. If Xbox 360 can deliver better games in its first year, it will appeal to a lot of non-Xbox buyers.

For example, I never bought an Xbox. It had few games that interested me and I felt that I had enough gaming on my hands with GameCube and PS2. But the Xbox 360 is a possible purchase for me due to backwards compatibility. If the system is compatible with enough Xbox games, then I will buy it as soon as possible. It makes sense for me, because I'm essentially getting double the library without having to buy the original console.

You can bet your bottom dollar that a lot of gamers are thinking the same way, especially those who never bought the first Xbox.

So, there's a lot more to it. I think Nintendo fans sometimes need to be kept in check when it comes to the competition. ~_^[/color]

• 2 months later...
RECENTLY ANNOUNCED.

[quote] Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 will be released in two SKUs, the "Xbox 360 Core System" and the "Xbox 360." The two products will be sold at $299 and $399, respectively. The two systems break down as follows:

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
?Xbox 360 console
?Wired controller
?Detachable faceplate
?Xbox Live Silver membership
?Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
?Xbox 360 console
?20GB detachable hard drive
?Wireless controller
?Wireless Xbox Live headset
?High-definition AV cables
?Ethernet cable
?Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
?Detachable faceplate
?Xbox Live Silver membership
-Gamespot
[/quote]

Full article here: [url]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/17/news_6131245.html[/url]

Expensive...the PSP was $250 and I thought that hurt my wallet. $299 :animenose That's crazy.

[quote name='SilentSecurity']Expensive...the PSP was $250 and I thought that hurt my wallet. $299 :animenose That's crazy.[/quote]

You think that $299 is crazy? :laugh:

I distinctly remember the Playstation 2 and Xbox being in the same ballpark. I actually paid more for them because they were only sold in bundle deals. Secondly, the real price for Xbox 360 is $399 because the core system package is useless. No hard drive? No backward compatability (which requires the hard drive)? A wired controller? No Xbox Live headset? I wouldn't pay $299 for that. It's a shame that Microsoft went they route the did too--a lot of developers are going to be discouraged from using the hard drive in their games. I understand their goal is to provide choice for casual gamers--and many casuals will buy the $299 bundle, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Plus, the pricing for Xbox 360 accessories is quite steep as well.

? Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
? Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
? Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
? Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
? Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
? Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
? Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
? Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
? Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
? Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
? Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
? S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
? SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
? VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

The faceplates, controllers, and memory cards are especially expensive. Who would play $40 for a 64mb memory card that would be filled with patches and downloadable content extremely quickly when they could buy a much higher capacity hard drive for $100? I'm sure that's why some of these products are being priced the way they are though.

Anyway, if $299 discourages you, wait until you see the Playstation 3's price. Even if they sell a basic model without the hard drive (which they will probably do) I doubt we'll see a package selling for under $399.

$49.99/39.99 for the controller is rediculous. A Wavebird(currently the best wireless controller) is only $34.99 and is smaller(meaning tighter circuitry) than XBOX 360's controller(a regular GC at 25 is also smaller than the $40 wireless). A faceplate may cost $1-$2 to make and they charge $19.99? Are they trying to push people away?

[quote name='Morpheus']$49.99/39.99 for the controller is rediculous. A Wavebird(currently the best wireless controller) is only $34.99 and is smaller(meaning tighter circuitry) than XBOX 360's controller(a regular GC at 25 is also smaller than the $40 wireless). A faceplate may cost $1-$2 to make and they charge $19.99? Are they trying to push people away?[/quote]

[SIZE=1][I]Yes the cost for the faceplates are rediculous,but would you buy a faceplate unless you thought it really stuck out in your room and it bothered you or if you really wanted yours to look a little different. But the cost of the controller isn't really, you have to remeber that it's only five more dollars but there is the little menu button thing that brings you into a live menu and other menu's and you use it to connect to the controller ports, so the extra wiring is about five dollars.[/I][/SIZE]

Since my XBOX only had Halo on it for a year, I'm probably going to wait until I see the library line-up for the new consoles before I make a decision on what I am or am not buying in fall 2005 - spring 2006. I might wait a year or two if thats how long it takes for the next-gen consoles to develop a strong library.

I'm was very happy with my XBOX until the last few months where nothing exlcusive to the Xbox itself really impressed me. Other than that its had the largest library of games of all my consoles. If I didn't trade all my games in after I play them (unless they're too good to trade) it would still have the largest library.

So for me the line-up means more than the actual price of the console. I'm not going to buy all 3 next-gen systems only to have 2 out of the three collect dust. I got too many bills to be paid to throw away money.

• 1 month later...
Guest Warmaster
I am really looking forward to the 360. It's quite a good system from what I know of it, and the game lauch window line-up seems to be full of good stuff, including the killer app that is Oblivion. With PDZero, PGR3, and DOA4 also within the window, there's plenty to play right off the bat. Gears of War looks killer, as well.

$399 is expensive, but not insane given that systems have been gradually getting more and more expensive. Last generation's new consoles were $299, so nothing to be surprised about.

Lately the only cool thing on Xbox has been Ninja Gaiden Black, but hey, that's plenty until the 360 comes along ^^

• 1 month later...
Guest animefreak87
I definately think the 360 will do well in Japan, as well as Microsoft wants, prob not, but well enough. The chance of any more anime titles coming out though are slim to none. We will def see an increase, but not a great extent. Sony is buying most of the licences anyway, so if we do see them they'll prob be on the PS3 which means we'll have to wait at least another year. But there's always hope

It's definitely something that's a major objective for them. Already the Japanese support is surprisingly strong, especially considering how poorly the original did there. There's a good amount of traditional RPGs, among other things, announced for the area.

I think the fact that the system is far more sleek will win some people over. The controller is smaller and lighter, which is always good. A big complaint I always read about the system for Japanese consumers was its size and so forth. Considering the PS3 is supposedly around the same size, I don't know that it will be as much of an issue.

I don't think it's strictly that it's a major American-based company... Afterall, Microsoft was responsible for the MSX computers that did amazingly well in Japan and other markets. The MSX was designed by Microsoft Japan, but I doubt anyone really noticed when it came down to it considering MS is obviously based in the US. Hell, Metal Gear originated on it... It was basically Konami's playground as far as great titles go.

So there's always a chance.

To put it simply, the 360 is, well odd. The fact that it came out first among the three gaming companies (as compared to PS3 and Revolution), some people may be pulled into this, as noone really wants to wait..... You know, those "I'm gonna buy the first of the three systems that come out" people? Yeah. Those.

As for me, I feel that as the 360 came out first, it leaves less room for improvement. Sony and Nintendo are taking their time to making their systems better, while Microsoft just wants to ease their fans' anticipations earlier.

Of course, there are those people blinded to think that 360 is awesome, no matter what facts are thrown at them. For those, the 360 might be good, but for me, and hopefully other people, it didn't do as well as expected. I am sure at least a few people like anime games, which XBox almost rarely has. That, is where Microsoft fails. My feelings towards Microsoft entering the gaming industry will never change, until more anime games come out, but that's just my opinion.

[quote name='4lphons3']Of course, there are those people blinded to think that 360 is awesome, no matter what facts are thrown at them. For those, the 360 might be good, but for me, and hopefully other people, it didn't do as well as expected. I am sure at least a few people like anime games, which XBox almost rarely has. That, is where Microsoft fails. My feelings towards Microsoft entering the gaming industry will never change, until more anime games come out, but that's just my opinion.[/quote]

1) The Xbox 360 is pretty awesome. Again, I wouldn't have been an early adopter if I hadn't received the thing for free, but the system's design is impressive. The GUI, for example, is excellent; the options you have at hand are insane. They've definitely done well with media integration and the console definitely has potential down the road.

2) Most games based on anime are juvenile and terrible. In any case, I'm somewhat surprised to find you complaining about anime-based games when titles such as Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero have adopted anime-inspired character designs in a trend that will probably continue since they're trying to gain popularity in Japan.

I am by no means trying to be a jerk, but most anime games suck. Not only in game play but also in sales.

can you blame Microsoft if doesn't want to fund a project that would most likely fail?

They are just trying to make a living.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]I hate you, Charles. :animecry:

I found quite an interesting article discussing the Xbox 360 "shortage" issue. It sums up everything I was planning on posting, but lucky for you I stumbled across this before I began a rant.

[B][SIZE=4]Shortages spoil Xbox 360 launch[/SIZE][/B]
[B]Widespread shortages of the Xbox 360 have left US gamers frustrated.[/B]

Many American electronics stores sold out of the coveted console on the first day it went on sale and many who queued overnight were left empty handed.

Shortages were made worse as many gamers did not want to settle for the lower-priced version of the gadget that lacks a hard drive.

Some enterprising Xbox 360 owners cashed in on the scarcity by instantly re-selling their console on eBay.

[B]Empty shelves[/B]

Microsoft's next generation console officially went on sale at midnight on 22 November but many who queued to make sure of grabbing the gadget did not manage to buy one. Some stores were reportedly allocated less than fifty of the consoles.

The websites of Amazon, Circuit City, Best Buy and Wal-Mart all listed the console as sold out.

Microsoft is selling the Xbox 360 in two bundles but few gamers seemed happy to settle for the cheaper version of the unit that does not have a 20 GB hard drive.

The hard drive or a memory unit is needed for players who want to use the console to play games for the original Xbox or who want to save their progress on new games.

"Hard-core gamers would pay up for a premium system and do not want to feel limited to a shaved down system," said David Hornak who was offered only the lower-priced machine at Best Buy in New York.

Gamers playing original Xbox while they wait, AP
Some passed the time by gaming while they waited
Up to half of all the machines allocated to electronics stores were the cheaper bundle which only helped to worsen the supply problems.

Analysts expect the sell-outs to continue for days and some did not expect the supply problems to ease until well into December. The situation is likely to be repeated when the 360 goes on sale in Europe on 2 December and Japan on 10 December.

"We are well aware that many gamers are disappointed to have not gotten their Xbox 360 on day one," said Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's entertainment and devices division, in a statement.

He added: "We are working around the clock to manufacture as many Xbox 360s as we can and are replenishing our retail channel week after week."

Microsoft is hoping to sell three million Xbox 360s in the first 90 days that the console is on sale.

Ebay reported that 1,800 Xbox 360s had been re-sold via the auction site in the first 12 hours after the console was launched - many for a significant mark-up on the original price.

In a statement eBay said that the average price of the consoles was $660 (£385). By comparison the full Xbox 360 bundle is selling in stores for $399.99.

Some packages of the console which came with a selection of games were selling for prices as high as $2,500 said Ebay.

Microsoft's launch of the Xbox 360 now is widely seen as a gamble because although it means the console is on sale in the important Christmas season it has to hope that frustration does not turn to anger and translate into lost sales.

[B]- BBC News[/B] [URL=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4462744.stm]Link[/URL][/FONT]