OtakuBoards

Hellsing

Subversive

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the first DVD and it is very good. It is about a company called the Hellsing Organization thats job is to destroy vampires and other evils of the night. The main characters is Alucard, a vampire. His intentions for working with the Hellsing Organization are unknown, but later in the series they will be unraveled. Another main character is Seras Victoria. She was a normal girl working for the police, but she was held hostage by another vampire. Alucard saved her but she was dying, and the only way to save her was to turn her into a vampire. A main story hasn't settled in by the first DVD, but it will. The show has a lot of style. It is a bit dark. It's always nighttime, and the sky is always red. There is a fair amount of blood and violence in it, so stay away if you don't like it. It's a great show that I reccommend checking out. The first DVD is out now. It is 13 episodes and will be four DVDs. I had pictures but we can't post them here.

I just saw the first two episodes. It looks promising but after watching Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust I got tired of the vampire hunter plot. The violence and art was terrific though.

Thought to ponder on: Do all vampire hunters have this weird taste for fashion? :)

LOL yeah Def_Kun that's what I was thinking. I guess Vampire Hunters shop at the same store. But remember, Alucard and D are both vampires, so the covered and dark clothing is pretty much typical. Victoria is also a vampire but she doesn't wear drab cloaks like the others. I guess she's the exception.

They probably get discounts on those wide funny looking hats and stuff. Do all vampires need to wear dark, gothic clothing?

Oh yeah. I just want to say that Alucard's gun is cool! I wonder if he's gonna get new bullets or accessories for that piece of art.

This blood sucking movie is in a genre of its own, the atmosphere and style that is created from Hellsing seems rather original and plotted in a good direction. Anime such as Trigun and Vampire Hunter D can be used to best describe the overall feel of the series. Though it is rather difficult to compare such a movie to others, it would be in its own league.

Hellsing is a gruesome and bloody tale that contains scenes of horror and thrills. At the same instance, Hellsing offers action and adventure. However, this anime produces something relatively different, and is certainly not the same as, or based on, Vampire Hunter D.

My favourite character would have to be Alucard, the main character. Did anyone notice that Alucard is actually "Dracula" spelt backwards? He is introduced in a more dominating way than any other character, which gives viewers the impression of a strong and fierce character. It leaves us in shrouded in mystery of who exactly Alucard is? why he is a member of the Hellsing as a vampire himself? It seems to me as a very effective scam. His gun is really cool, I thought it displayed his character a lot, and with the capabilities of it. He is pretty much alike Devil May Cry's hero Dante, the weapons and attire.

• 1 year later...
This thread pertains only to the anime series, as the manga is being discussed currently in another thread. I recently downloaded this anime and was very wishful for a good series (since it took nearly 75 hours on a program that depletes my RAM, not allowing me to do anything else on the computer).

I was fully rewarded though, as this series (although short) stunned me. The animation is amazing, the sound is great and the plot is stunning. There was a great deal of character development as well.

Hellsing also has alot of ties to Bram Stroker's work and other films and books, mostly Dracula and Nosferatu.

Click [url=http://www.twisted-revolt.com/?tr=anime/hellsing/hellsing]here[/url] for an amazing and in-depth review of the series and a comparison of it to the groundbreaking novels and films.

Has anyone else seen Hellsing? If so, please share your comments.

[quote]although...they did make him a little too strong...[/quote] What did you expect [spoiler]THE first generation vampire[/spoiler] to be like? :therock: It would be pretty illogical if Alucard was a weakling. I personally loved the enemy being the underdog, especially when they deserved their come-up-in's, and some reactions were just so memorable.

Which brings me to my gripes about this show. The person who deserved the most come-up-in's, [spoiler]Alexander[/spoiler], never got them. That was such a disappointment, although they did hint at Victoria being the one to administer the just desserts. It's such a great anime that is just so incomplete. Yes, it begins and ends with Alucard, but what about the other characters? What was Lady Hellsing's answer to Alucard's question(s)?! There wasn't even enough information to make conclusive conclusions.

I agree about the lack of conclusion, AzureWolf (incidentally, "comeuppance" is spelled, um, "comeuppance". Wow, ironically enough, dictionary.com contains a spelling error in their entry for that word: [url=http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=comeuppance]"one's just deserts"[/url]).

Er, idiosyncratic spelling notices aside ... Yeah, I agree Hellsing's ending was really not conclusive enough considering how complex the story was getting. I've heard that they were planning a second season, though, and that ended up getting cancelled, which might explain why so many storylines get introduced a little late and then aren't wound up. Also, I have to admit I watched this right after RahXephon, which I personally found to have the most disappointing ending of any anime I watched, considering how complete it [i]looked[/i] like it was going to be (if that makes any sense). So compared to that, I don't think the ending was so bad. And I hold conclusiveness in very high regard when it comes to anime, even though the Japanese apparently do not :p.

Anyway, I found the visual style really stunning, even though it was really dark and gory and we were watching it too late at night for my personal taste. I don't generally enjoy that kind of bloody stuff, but I found myself liking Hellsing in spite of myself, especially that girl's eyes (forget her name ... I'm horrible with names). I thought little touches like that, which stood out so brightly among all the darker stuff, really made the anime special.

I agree terra, I also noticed Seras Victoria's eyes (I believe that's who you were speaking of) and they were beautiful and bold.

As for the conclusiveness subject, I usually gripe when I cannot find a good conclusion somewhere, but this anime handled it well and surprised me when it ended conclusively, so I was very satisfied.

Sorry for the short post.

I thought Hellsing was a good series. The only thing I didn't like, was that Celas Victoria seemed to serve no purpose there, and the show seems to meander a lot with her exploring. In this way the show wastes time doing nothing, when they should have had more action. However, Alucard is a one of a kind badass, he's unlike any other character and he's just plain cool.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Quicksilverus [/i]
[B]I thought Hellsing was a good series. The only thing I didn't like, was that Celas Victoria seemed to serve no purpose there, and the show seems to meander a lot with her exploring. In this way the show wastes time doing nothing, when they should have had more action. However, Alucard is a one of a kind badass, he's unlike any other character and he's just plain cool. [/B][/QUOTE] Quite the contrary, Quicksilverus. Victoria was a key factor within Hellsing's success/intrigue. Without her, there would be absolutely no dynamic character development: she is, to put it simply, the only one who goes through a change during the series' progression. Yes, we figure out and see how all the main characters got to where they were with memories of the past, but even then, we never see them change. Alucard is just "da bomb," and never falters from being so. Lady Hellsing is aggressive, yet not b###hy. And Walter - well, he's the Walter-enator. :D

In fact, Victoria is so key that you could call her the main character, as we look and discover the underworld of Hellsing alongside her. Most of the events are through her objective, and she's almost always on screen. She's as oblivious as the viewer is (maybe moreso).

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by AzureWolf [/i]
[B]Quite the contrary, Quicksilverus. Victoria was a key factor within Hellsing's success/intrigue. Without her, there would be absolutely no dynamic character development: she is, to put it simply, the only one who goes through a change during the series' progression. Yes, we figure out and see how all the main characters got to where they were with memories of the past, but even then, we never see them change. Alucard is just "da bomb," and never falters from being so. Lady Hellsing is aggressive, yet not b###hy. And Walter - well, he's the Walter-enator. :D

In fact, Victoria is so key that you could call her the main character, as we look and discover the underworld of Hellsing alongside her. Most of the events are through her objective, and she's almost always on screen. She's as oblivious as the viewer is (maybe moreso). [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1]I could not have said it better myself. Seras Victoria is obviously the main character due to the fact that she's almost always on screen and the characters revolve around her (Alucard moreso than anyone else). She, as you also said, goes through a major amount of character development as she opened up to this new world as a vampire.

And I can't believe I forgot Walter, he's just as stunning as Alucard in my opinion.

[/size]

I agree about Victoria's character being the only one who goes thru a change-
i just found her boring, and a lot like any other anime girl- girl goes thru transformation/goes on a journey and has to deal with the consequences- she seemed cliche to me.

on the other hand- Integra rocked! maybe i'm biased seeing as I love Integra, but she was just so intriguing. and the fact that she is so unique, so unlike any other female anime character- I really liked that.

then again, I just think Integra rocks (points to ava)

but overall, I loved the series! it was so fun and funky and gruesome and awesome!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WolfAngel [/i]
[B]I agree about Victoria's character being the only one who goes thru a change-
i just found her boring, and a lot like any other anime girl- girl goes thru transformation/goes on a journey and has to deal with the consequences- she seemed cliche to me.

on the other hand- Integra rocked! maybe i'm biased seeing as I love Integra, but she was just so intriguing. and the fact that she is so unique, so unlike any other female anime character- I really liked that.
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's just how I feel about Victoria too. Not even the fact that she blows up demons with a bazooka, really makes me like her.

And Integra is awesome. She's got attitude, and she'll never give up.

[quote]I agree about Victoria's character being the only one who goes thru a change-
i just found her boring, and a lot like any other anime girl- girl goes thru transformation/goes on a journey and has to deal with the consequences- she seemed cliche to me.[/quote] I think this was quite a different transformation, one that was hindered by the lack of backstory given for Victoria. Nonetheless, it was a mental breakdown of ideals and ethics this girl had to go - we know enough about her to realize that much. Normally, you see one thing a person must mentally change (at most), but Victoria, her entire, [B]fundamental[/B] outlook was changed. We see her struggle through this complete inversion of life and be cool at the same time. How many anime girls do you know struggle mentally but use big guns at the same time, huh? :p

C'mon, how could you hate her after she asks herself, [spoiler]"...And why am I holding my master's head?"[/spoiler]

Dude, why [i]was[/i] [spoiler]Victoria holding Alucard's head[/spoiler]? I would've droped that thing as soon as I picked it up ... in fact I would never have picked it up in the first place ...

Anyway, I thought that Victoria was pretty much the main character throughout the series. I didn't find her unlikable at all, though I guess I never really took a great liking to her either. I thought that they portrayed her moral difficulties really accurately; I mean, [spoiler]no matter how hungry or vampiric I felt, I'd find it difficult to drink blood if I'd once been human[/spoiler]. Her character development was the key part to the story; Alucard on his own probably would've just had to been a slow revealing of his history, which would have been painful and pretty boring.

Actually, I didn't end up really loving any of the characters very much (except maybe Walter, and that was because of his cool, cool [spoiler]weaponry. I mean, when those guys just fell apart ... it was nice[/spoiler]). I don't think the anime ever got me very emotionally involved, which might've been its biggest fault. I'm not sure why it was that way, exactly ...

But as I said before, the show looks so good it makes up for it to me.

• 1 month later...
Guest Acrocanis
Yes, Alucard is Dracula. Ever read the book? Dr. Abraham Van HELSING. Sir Integra Wingates HELLSING. That's Integra's grandfather. The family captured Alucard. Unfortunely, I need to WAIT until I have access to the manga to find out more. By the way, Hugh Jackman's gonna be Van Helsing in the new "Van Helsing" movie!

[size=1][color=navy]I never saw the series, but I possess all the 6 mangas that are out at the moment. The enemies are Nazis. Remnants of the Nazis out to create their own private army of undead, or the Letzt Battalion and rule the world. There are quite a few characters that are not in the anime, I believe. Yumiko/Yumie, Tobalcain, Vervolves, Ripvanwinkle, etc. Great manga, but very gory. Every battle seems to be followed inevitably by some sort of blood bath and/or vampiric feeding. No objections to that. My current favorite is Rev. Alexander Anderson. The last manga was particularly awesome with [spoiler]him leading a legion of the Iscariots and facing off against the Nazi undead[/spoiler].[/size][/color]

Guest AlucardLover
man, i just want to know if Pioneer(or Geneon) is going to make more Hellsing. does anyone here know? by the way... Alucard (or Arucard) is HOT!!! he's the man. :love: sorry, i had to edit because they said it was too short. ^_^; oh well. so, i hope someone at this site can tell me if there will be more Hellsing anime. please, someone tell me! i'm DYING to know!!!

P.S. who else here thinks that Alucard is a hottie?

[quote name='AlucardLover']man, i just want to know if Pioneer(or Geneon) is going to make more Hellsing. does anyone here know? by the way... Alucard (or Arucard) is HOT!!! he's the man. :love:[/quote]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I just wanted to let you know that this post is borderline spam. From now on, please try to put more thoughts and efforts into your posts if you do not want them to be deleted. Thank you! *QA*[/color][/size]

• 1 month later...
Guest Satomi
I seen Hellsing a while ago. That is one of the best anime I"ve ever seen! Does anybody else like it? (C'mon, you know you like all the blood and action!)

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]I've merged your thread with the original Hellsing one. Please run a search of the forum before starting a thread about a specific anime. The Official Threads Directory Sticky at the top of the page gives a list of all the animes that have had topics started about them.

Try and put more detail into your posts as well, please. What was it you liked about the anime, for example? Give thought and present. -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

I'm so glad some one made a thread about this anime. It's my 3rd favorite anime (Strawberry Eggs being #1 and Kodocha being #2).

I've seen the whole series and (this is just me talking so don't go getting your hopes up), I think they left the end of Hellsing open for a sequil.

Also, I loved every episode of Hellsing EXCEPT the last one. It just wasn't as good as any of the others.