OtakuBoards

Overused words.

wrist cutter

[quote name='Sara][SIZE=1']Do people do that in earnest? I "quote" (And...cue appropriate gesture!) things, but it's grossly exaggerated. I wasn't aware people actually did it seriously. (Unless you're miffed at folks like me, which is quite possible.)[/SIZE][/quote]

Sara, I worship people like you.

I'm referring to people who do it in all seriousness... not as a joke heh.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Solo Tremaine][color=#503f86']Like when people say 'like', like, every other, like, word? I have the urge to shoot people who do that too much.[/color][/quote]
[color=#707875]Oh [i]yes! [/i]

There is nothing worse than a person who constantly says "like" in their speech. People even do it online too. It's one of the most frustrating aspects of communication in society today. :lecture: [/color]

[QUOTE=James][color=#707875]Oh [i]yes! [/i]

There is nothing worse than a person who constantly says "like" in their speech. People even do it online too. It's one of the most frustrating aspects of communication in society today. :lecture: [/color][/QUOTE]

Well, it's not really relevant to the main topic, but it relates to this.

I noticed a lot of people make this mistake:
"Me and Jake went to the park yesterday."

There are two grammatical errors in this sentence:
1) Does "Me went to the park yesterday" sound right? No, of course not. Use "I" when it is the subject.
2) You never list yourself first, but instead last. It should be "Jake and I".

Lots of people make this mistake really commonly and it drives me nuts. I remember these rules being pounded into us in elementary school (third grade if I recall correctly), so it's really annoying to hear them be so often neglected.

Why are you people so closed-minded? These are just words that are used occasionally and nothing more. It'd be great if some people didn't use some words that often but you don't have to be so negative about it. Therefore I suggest all of you just "simmer down" before someone makes a fool of him/herself. This might be because of sexual frustrations or just other insecurities. Regardless, it's time for some to grow up and be more mature about these things. It's just words.

On the subject of using "Intelligent" words (that some of you think unintelligent people use to make themselves sound more intelligent)

People, like me, use them because we're used to it. When I write papers for college, which most of you don't know anything about, I HAVE to use "bigger" words. You have to write at a higher grade level. I can't be in college writing things at an 8th grade level. I'm not even allowed to use contractions in college writing. I've done that 4 times already in this paragraph. So sometimes that writing wears off in my writing here. Plus I'm not stupid, I can use those words if I want. I don't try to sound smart, I am... and I'm probably concieded to alot of you too after reading that, but no matter. :p

As far as buzz words is concerned... "liberal," which has been used in this thread, is one of the most overused words I've heard. Conservative and Liberal when pretaining to the Republican and Democratic party... or anyone for that matter. There no such thing as conservative or liberal anymore... Everyone is liberal on somethings and conservative on others, no one can be just one...

[color=darkred][size=1]Like Harry said, you all need to calm down, and we can discuss various insecurities in a calm-minded and intelligent environment, free from cynics and bullies and other negatively-oriented people.

Like, get some enthusiasm! You are all like, so down. "Be happy" and do some work! Me and my mum do all sorts of things to keep happy. It is great that you're all trying to improve, but this is getting a little bit gay. Irregardless of anything, just enjoy yourself. Don't be so close-minded and immature, develop some real-world approach.

Therefore, I conclude my little spiel, in a vain attempt to wipe out immaturity on these boards. This is, quite literally, a major contribution to OB here.

Respect.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Harry']Regardless, it's time for some to grow up and be more mature about these things. It's just words.[/quote]
[color=#707875]It's just a discussion. Nobody's going to go out there and beat up someone for using the wrong English (we hope lol). So, chill. Drink a glass of water; you'll feel better.

Anyway, I agree with wrist cutter's last comment in particular. The whole "Me and Jake went to the park" thing. It's probably one of (if not THE) most common misuse of English.

I'm probably guilty of talking like that on occasion, though if I ever do, I tend to mentally scold myself for it. lol It's just such a basic mistake...so it's definitely something I'm aware of.

Even though it's not an "overused word" as such, it's also probably an overused error in English.

This reminds me of two things that annoy me, the first being the misuse of "your" and "you're". Gah.

And the second thing would be the misuse of "there", "their" and "they're".

[b]Your[/b] shoe is untied.

[b]You're[/b] acting like a fool.

My house is over [b]there[/b].

I guess [b]they're [/b]pretty busy at the moment.

Red, please go and give those people back [b]their [/b]clothes.

Yeah. There you have it. ~_^[/color]

Am I the only one that realized that Harry's post was a joke?

In any case, I've spoken about the whole then/than, effect/affect, lying/laying, etc fiasco in the past heh.

I use "I" in the situations mentioned, although I slip up some times... mostly because so many other people I know do not use it correctly.

Some slang word that is really overused is fo shizzle mi nizzle which was originally said by Snoop Dogg and then later by Ludicris now almost everyone is saying man you chain is of da hizzle and fo shizzle mi nizzle gosta keep it rizzle I mean comeon people what kind of slang words are these I can't wait till people realize how stupid they are saying these words and sentences.

I would have to agree with James over the misuse of homonym (correct me if I'm wrong with this label, haven't done grammar in a while) type words such as the "theres" and the "theirs."

It's either the fact that people are too lazy or that people really don't understand how to use the words, which is sad. Especially when I get to see it typed to me by a bunch of people my age or older. I'm 18 and when I see friends of mine who went to the same high school with me use these words like that, I wonder what English class they took. "Hey man, your soo kewl!1!!12 Lets go OvER 2 teh houze over their." The utter stupidity I see when I read something like that just damn near overwhelms me.

::Looks to post above him:: Another wonderful grammatical tool that we like to use is called the PERIOD. It looks like this ----->. It's very useful for seperating thoughts in a long string of words and helps people make sense of the English language. Many people (although not all people, obviously) like to use this device, and if I could be so bold, some might call it "essential."

Early this morning, I got out of bed, got dressed, got my bag and got downstairs as quickly as I could. I got to the store only a minute or two after it opened, but I had a hard time deciding what video game to get. Although I tried to get advice from my wife, she obviously didn't get why I liked games so much, and told me that she was getting tired of standing around. Annoyed, I informed her that she just needed to get more sleep--I hadn't realized that she'd already gotten the keys. My wife got up, scowling, and got back to the car before I could get a word in edgewise. By the time that I caught up, she'd already gotten away.

Point made, I hope.

EDIT: Baron, I love you. XD

~Dagger~

[COLOR=Gray][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]Hey, Baron--props, yo. Haha...that was good.

"Irregardless."

I don't want to turn this into a stupid, meaningless post, so I will attempt to provide it with said article.

Yes, Skippedry, I remembered your nickname. More importantly: I got your point. *sweatdrop*

I could never stand the word "really", myself. It's such a bland emphasis. Nevertheless: I hear it hundreds of times a day. *sigh* Thesaruses are some of my best friends.^_^

Along the lines of grammar: "Got some teeth." I utterly despise this video and song, not only for its sexism, but for its grammar. Well, lack thereof. This is probably why I tend to hate most of the hip-hop I hear. Every time I hear some one use improper grammar, a little bell goes off in my head: :wigout:

Well, this was a...fruitless post. I think I made one point though, though it did not exactly adhere to the original intentions of this thread. Funny how things go that way...

Now! My cousin is making me watch a spoof of an Outkast video...[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Transtic Nerve']As far as buzz words is concerned... "liberal," which has been used in this thread, is one of the most overused words I've heard. Conservative and Liberal when pretaining to the Republican and Democratic party... or anyone for that matter. There no such thing as conservative or liberal anymore... Everyone is liberal on somethings and conservative on others, no one can be just one...[/quote]

Yes....I believe I was the one to use "liberal." I use it because that is how most likely people refer to the Democratic party. I realize modern day politicians fall into a more 'gray' category, and tend to be a hybrid of the far left and far right. While you are correct, no one is completely conservative or liberal, I am atleast 9/10 conservative- so I consider myself conservative.

...meh, sue me :)

[quote name='Semjaza Azazel']Am I the only one that realized that Harry's post was a joke?.[/quote]

No. I thought it was pretty obvious- then again, when is Harry serious?

This topic is one of the greatest I've seen in awhile- thank you Cutter.

[color=deeppink][size=1][b]Gay:[/b] - Not cool, Weird, Stupid...etc. Guh. Everyone at school is using this, and it's kinda like, 'geez, what do they have against gay people anyway?'. I mean, they use it for their weirdest things, like 'Homework is so gay'. Can paper/textbooks be gay? I might've missed something...

And I know they might not have anything against gays, but it does get annoying, because it sounds so immature (whoops. *used an overused word*) when they use it over and over and over.

[b]****, *****, ***, ******..etc.:[/b] - Various meanings, lol. Uhh... is it just me, or do people need serious anger management? It's so stupid how people stick a cuss word in like, every sentence because apparently to them, it sounds cool. I think it just makes them look really trashy, and it's not like they're getting bashed on the head or anything. And there always seem to be a very brief pause before they say it, like they're thinking whether or not to use it. And I mean, sometimes the way they use it is so rediculous, like '****, I dropped my pencil'.

[b]Again With the Lesbian/Gay Deal...:[/b] - Weird girl/boy, Person you don't like and feel like starting rumors about. It seems like every single person in middle school has been called a gay or lesbian. It's especially annoying when two guys/girls can't be friends without being called that. First it was how guys and girls can't be friends because they end up being called boyfriend-girlfriend, and NOW, it's girls can't even be super close friends with girls without being called lesbians and guys can't be super close friends with guys and not be called 'gay'.

[b]Prep:[/b] -...What exactly IS the true meaning of prep?

[b]Like:[/b] - Um. And I'm totally guilty of this one, lol. But I think it sounds better than sticking an 'uhh...' 'erm...' 'ummm...' in every break between words.

[b]Love:[/b] - 'Like-Like'. Geez. Honestly, people. You CAN'T fall in love in middle school and for most, even high school (and I don't even have to mention elementary, right?). But seriously, there are so many people from school who put 'I Love (insert name here), always n foreva' in their info, and it annoys the fudge outta me. >>; Especially when 'always n foreva' lasts for what, two and a half weeks? lol.

Hmm... Forever was shorter than I thought...

^ Please excuse the uber-rantness. ^_^ *hops off* [/color][/size]

[QUOTE=IceWolfEyes]
That is so Jewish, You are such a Jew--Means not cool, unintelligent, something that makes everyone in a room groan. *Sigh* I don't know how it got started, but I am quite tired of hearing it in side conversations. Even my friends use this, and they know that I'm Jewish! Nothing like hearing "Don't be such a Jew" when I walk by a group of people I don't know, and don't care to meet. Or even better, an adult once used this. I was in shock just long enough for him to leave the restaurant where I work.[/QUOTE]

As a slanderous term, calling someone a Jew usually meant they were really cheap and money-hungry. It seems like all of those meanings get made more and more general as time goes on.

I knew this one kid who called everyone a "jew bag", whatever that meant. He was obviously an idiot.

[color=darkblue][b]Dysfunctional.[/b] This word used to be used by psycologists to describe people/familes/situations that had [i]major[/i] problems. Now, the way you figure it, everybody is dysfunctional.

[b]You know what I'm saying?[/b] I know it's a phrase, but it's worth mentioning. Where I come from, certain people use it in every sentence. It's taken the place of saying "like" every five seconds. I always feel like hollering, "If I knew what you were saying, you wouldn't have to tell me!"[/color]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]"Jew bag".

What the [I]hell[/I]? I hate to admit it, but that made me laugh--it's just so rediculous. *sigh* "Yeah, Semjaza, you're such a Jew bag!" Man, I must be easily amused._ _U

Another word that I find over-used is 'special'. We grow up being taught that every one of us is 'special'. But the word 'special' seems to have had its definition altered. 'Special' now seems to mean disabled or different in a negative way.

Another term that I find is overused is "AZN". *sigh*[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=wrist cutter]Well, it's not really relevant to the main topic, but it relates to this.

I noticed a lot of people make this mistake:
"Me and Jake went to the park yesterday."

There are two grammatical errors in this sentence:
1) Does "Me went to the park yesterday" sound right? No, of course not. Use "I" when it is the subject.
2) You never list yourself first, but instead last. It should be "Jake and I".

Lots of people make this mistake really commonly and it drives me nuts. I remember these rules being pounded into us in elementary school (third grade if I recall correctly), so it's really annoying to hear them be so often neglected.[/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=red] I can understand what you're saying, since you had this stuff pounded into your head. . .but not everyone else has.

All you would call that is a form of slang; people taking the right way to say something, and giving it their own way.

Most people don't say, "Me and. . ." purposely. It's just the way they've been brought up. It's what they've learned and become accustomed to saying. And there's nothing much wrong with that.

Rules are only a guideline. . .they don't need to be explicitly followed unless someone's going to make you follow them.

There's all kinds of different ways I say words and phrases than other people. Is that wrong? No. It may annoy you as a person, wrist cutter, but you need to learn to accept it.

When people speak how they speak. . .it makes them more them.

The words "each other"? I say them as one word all the time. It comes out sounding more like "e'chother." That's just the way I've heard it often. I've even seen a lot of people make "each other" one word online--such as Tony, I see him doing that often (and it's no big deal, by the way).

There's a whole bunch of words I say differently, as well as phrases; just like you do the same.

Yes, it's grammatically wrong to say, "Me and. . ." but I'm open-minded about it. As much as it's annoying to hear it, being someone who likes language, you just absorb it. I've said "Me and. . ." many times, just in offhand conversation.

There's also another rule that I've messed up a lot, that I want to mention. It's the "that-who" rule. You're supposed to only use "that" for inanimate, not alive things. For example, "that car over there." And for "who" you're only supposed to use it for living objects. Such as, "the animal over there, who I know" instead of "the animal over there, [i]that[/i] I know."

I always mess up this rule often. It's just the way I learned to use the word. . .and so it's the way I use it. Even in writing, I've done it many times. I just don't see the deal.

On a side note, I see people using the plural and possesive form of "who" wrong all the time. Most people will do something like this: "The dog, who's collar I held, I led over." It should be this: "The dog, [i]whose[/i] collar I held, I led over."

The way you can make sure you don't misuse "who" is to remember this: "who's" is the contractioned form of the word. It either means "who is" or, less often, "who has." You know, something like, "the man who's going to go with me." In this sentence "who's" means "who is." And, here's one for "who has.": "Who's got my shoes?" Read the sentence, uncontractioning the word. "Who is" doesn't work. But "who has" does. "Who has got my shoes?"

Whatever the case, there's many overused words. Overused words aren't always a bad things. Because the words we overuse are obviously those words we are familiar with and use most often in offhand conversation, this leads them to sometimes be the words we will come to greet more easily.. Sometimes it makes for better writing.

There are annoying terms out there, though. You've mentioned some here, wrist cutter. But I don't see much of a reason to complain. . .I go along with what Harry says. They're just words. As much as words mean to me, you need to realize that how someone uses words is their own way; even if they may speak them wrong.

Some people have accents and say words strangely. It's just another thing, as I said, that makes them them.

I see no problem with using "Me. . .and" if that's the way you use it. I say just say things the way you'd say them, within reason.

It could be worse than it is, if it bothers you that much. There could be people walking around going, "I ain't got none of not of that man who's gonna have alot of irregardless nothing and I ain't not gonna list'n to dis."

Or even worse than that. (On a side note, read Baron's post. Great stuff.)

People don't just sit there breaking the rules of the English language to just do it. They do it because that's the way they know how to say what they want to say. . .it's not meant to make you mad.

I think the way language is misused and slanged makes for language to be much more versatile than it could be. It makes it more fun to talk. . .write. . .whatever.

In the end I don't care how people use language. I just care how I use it and how it sounds when I hear other people talk. I'd rather have there be things that could be said to be "overused words." It makes things more fun and allows me to be satirical at times, as well as broadens and opens your mind.

I think the way language can be used is beauty.

Lanuage is such an ornate, amazing thing when you think about it. It allows you to say things and write down things as much as you'd want to. It allows you to do it as much as you'd desire.

So instead of complaining about it, I'm going to say I'm glad there's things like what we're talking about in this thread.

It allows me to write dialogue much more realistic, and makes so many more options for me in writing, and speaking.

[/size][/color]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=2][color=red]The most annoying and over-used word out there today is "surreal." *shudders* You hear it a lot on reality shows. It's like the new word that people use to try and sound smart. "The experience was so surreal." or "It just had a surreal feeling about it." Hears a hint: go get a dictionary, look up the word "surreal," and use it accordingly. Sheesh![/color][/size][/font]

Here are some words that are overused but no one notices because they have lost their original meaning. These words are used as compliments, like Ice Wolf Eyes (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) mentioned about the word "awesome."antastic

To quote novelist Terry Pratchett (keep in mind that in his novels elves are evil),
"Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvelous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is the meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad."

Well heres one that REALLY gets on my nerves.... when I say REALLY I mean REALLY, as in I'm REALLY not lying.

Well yeah, 'really' is one of them, I mean, its a necessary word, but alot of people just totally abuse it. I'm sure my drift has been catched....

So, the actual word that really really gets me goin, especially around here is the excessive use of [B]seriously[/B] .

For example, consider the scenario of someone whom you shower with favours constantly, suddenly asking you to do something for them thats comletely unnecessary and could actually bring harm, or trouble to you or them or whatever. And of course, you decline. And then they keep asking "Come ON man!" "No" "No seriously man, can you?" "No *censored*, I've told you about eighty times!" "No dude, SERIOUSLY" .... and it just goes on and on when somebody is trying to either ask for something, or 'force' a point, this word is sooo excessively.

And uh, yeah. I'm done :D

[color=darkred][size=1][quote name='Semjaza']I knew this one kid who called everyone a "jew bag", whatever that meant. He was obviously an idiot.[/quote]

>_> I would swear that was meant to be funny. Just thought I'd let you know that the joke wasn't missed by [i]me[/i] at least.

Heh.

[b]E D I T[/b]: Now that I take my time to read this properly... I see that [i]he[/i] was calling everyone a 'jew bag'. They weren't calling him one. =\.

I should take the time to read things word-by-word. Still funny, just not how I thought it was.[/color][/size]

Guest lavalamp
"オタク" drives me insane. It's not so much the word's meaning but the fact that people throw it around being completely ignorant to what it means. This tends to work for a number of other Japanese words used by idiots who try to appear unique by learning two words and claiming fluency.

Various internet BS: ^_^; >.> <.< @_@; ^.^ xD XD lol stfu omg n00b o.O O.o o_o ~_^ :3 >=D =D :) :( :d :p =p

外人 jerks my chain as does any other derogatory word relating to race.

"Slut" gets on my nerves because of the annoying double standard.