OtakuBoards

~Dragon Wing Festival~

Sakura

Kanaye awoke from his slumber amongst the rubble of the once prosperous Inn to find most of the Raiders dead. It was still dark, and fires still blazed, but Kanaye felt like he had slept for an eternity. He tried to get get up, but was hindered by the crystal blue lump on his lap. Laertes' mouth stretched wide open as he yawned immensly.
{"Good Morning!"}
Kanaye didn't respond, his face still in the grimace from last night's ordeal. Instead, he made his way out of the make-shift cave of rubble, taking his scythe in hand as he left his one true haven. The small dragon followed him out. The blood still trickled down the walls, and flowed in a stream across the pavement down the drain into the sewers with the rest of the rejected human waste. He was surprised the small dragon on his shoulder was unphased by the spectacle ahead of them.
{"What shall we do today?"}
Again ignoring him, Kanaye went out to survey the damage. He wouldn't be responsible for this infant dragon's safety now. It knew what sort of person he was. On it's head be it if it suddenly found itself dead. Kanaye's thoughts were suddenly broken by the humming of the small dragon. He would have smiled if he was in a different situation. The tune was unmistakable. Beethoven's 9th symphony in D-major. He couldn't help himself.
"Where did you learn that?" he said, still trying to keep his aura of melancholy. The dragon giggled.
{"You hum in your sleep!"}
Kanaye had many habits he wasn't happy sharing. He looked at the dragon, happily singing without a care in the world. Surely if this little monster liked him, he wasn't completely alone. His heart melted and he smiled.
"It's my favourite song. I used to get my mother to sing it all the time when I was little."
His face suddenly turned sour.
"Father never would."
He stopped himself, unable to comprehend whant he had just said. His father was his role-model, his inspiration in life. He was a fighter, and would never quit, even when odds were stacked up against him. The dragon was still looking at him.
{"I never liked my father either."}
"Hey!" Kanaye snapped, "Stop reading my thoughts."
{"Sorry."}
Kanaye sighed. He was sorry too, though he wouldn't voice it. Deep doen, he knew that dragons were all peaceful at heart. He just couldn't forgive them for the death of his father.
{"My father was a murderer"}
Kanaye looked at the innocent little creature as it spoke.
{"The way he killed that poor raider dragon in cold blood. I'll never forgive him."}
Somehow, they had returned to the spot where Laertes' father lay.
{"Not that it'll do much good now."}
They heard a groan, and turned to see a half-mangled Raider, his purple armour stained with his own blood.
"This isn't over!" he cried, "We will get what we want."
Under other circumstances (one's Kanaye thought would never turn up now) he would have slaughtered the man right there and then, forcing him from life as painfully as possible. But now he just smirked.
"I doubt that." he said, before knocking him unconscious...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trekking weakly and uncertainly through the debris of the once beautiful village, Kurian tried vainly to cast the burning image of his dead friend from his mind. Syft, the man he had hoped to find alive was neither discovered alive nor dead by the distraught wanderer and Kurian could only hope that he had escaped safely. Stumbling upon shifting rocks and fallen beams he wiped the sweat from his brow, noting with a wince a small laceration there that he had no noticed before. Leaning against a half demolished wall Kurian took in several ragged gasps, the energy required for continuing his search draining from his body like water through a seive.

Raising his eyes to the golden horizon Kurian heard the muffled sound of voices somewhere close by. Praying to whichever deity would listen at the time that these were friendly voices Kurian took to his feet once more and walked painfully towards the lingering sounds. Searching his way through rubble and debris, attempting to block away the sight and smell of death all around Kurian finally came across the ragged and dirty figure of a man, a small dragon his companion. Kurian's brows shot upward as he recognised the man from the inn in which he had fallen unconcious. Gripping the hilt of his sword with blood caked fingers he drew it slowly from it's sheath, the very movement causing his muscles to scream in protest.

Glowering at the small dragon Kurian shuffled forwards, resting his free hand against the building by his side, his only aid to keep him from dropping to the floor. He vainly hoped that he did not look as beaten and weak as he felt but he knew that was unlikely. Raising his sword with difficulty Kurian levelled it towards Kanaye, the edge gleaming in the sunlight.

"Friend or foe dragon lover!" Kurian's voice was ragged but firm as he spoke, his jaw set and his gaze hard.

Jaht: Holy ****! (Thinking) Either the dragon's trying to scare me off or, more likely, it's playing with me. what it doesn't know is that it just helped me. Chi and Dryoga certianly noticed the small avalanche that the dragon caused. (He looks up, and spots Chi and Dryoga coming in for a closer look) (Still thinking) Sloppy. This could be a trap, and yet they're still coming straight in. It's a good thing I'm not one of the raiders. (He notices a shred of fabric by one of the dead dragons. He picks it up and looks at it. There is a symbol on it, which he recognizes) (Still thinking) No wonder I predicted their actions so accurately. (Dryoga lands, and Chi hops off) (Out loud) I thought I told you to stay in the inn.

Chi: The O-

Jaht: You had the right idea back at the inn. If you absolutly have to mention it, call it a flute.

Chi. Fine. The flute only works when used by one of the Iteki family. Even if it is taken, they wou'n be able to use it.

Jaht: Do you think these people won't know that? They sacrificed a huge number of their group in the attack, knowing full well that they couldn't win. that was to distract everyone while a few others snuck in and took what they were after. This isn't the kind of thing you do until you know absolutely everything relevent.

Chi: Then they probably aren't after it if they know they won't be able to use it.

Jaht: These people launched a large attack as a diversion. They killed many people. Do you really think they won't be willing to take you, too?

Chi: Oh.

Jaht: But that's a secondary concern right now. I was brought here by a dragon named Deep Sea, who told me what you're doing. I sent him off to find a man named Talon, who's in the city.

Chi: Who's Talon?

Jaht: The only one who can enter this mountian with a 100% chance of survival. See, inside this mountian lives a dragon that's going on 3000 years old. i'm sure you know what that means about its capabilities.

Chi: Yes.

Jaht: This dragon is not fond of intruders. It tends to kill them, like it did to these two. Is either of them Sideria?

Chi: No.

Jaht: That just means that Sideria's body is in the mountian somewhere. but not alive. there's no way Sideria has survived, and we'll be dead soon, too. There's no way we can escape this dragon. Our only hope is for Talon-who told me about this dragon, by the way-to get here before we're killed.

[size=1][color=#999999][i]Talisman walked into the cave. A sudden rush of cold air burst past her as she stepped forward. Aries stomped his feet and stood his ground. She walked on with her horse. It was a straight-on pathway towards the center of the cave, which had resembled a coliseum. Layers of rocks were carved to look like the seats of a Greek Coliseum and at the center were gates that led to different rooms. But the only place Talisman needed to go was to the center and call out Yamato's name.

It was a long way towards the center, but as soon as she got there, she stood and looked around. She was in this area before, she doesn't remember much, but she knew she saw this place. She took in a deep breath and stood her ground. She looked around and saw that Aries did as well.[/i]

"I have come to seek the one who is the Spirit of Dragons, the one who knows all and sees all. I CALL FOR YAMATO!"

[i]Suddenly, a shadowy figure flew around Talisman and Aries. Talisman readied to take her blades out and attack, but she found that a calm, soothing song was heard. She began to hear the rhythm and melody and decided to follow along.[/size][/color][/i]

Kanaye smiled despite his injuries.
"Friend, don't worry."
Kanaye inspected the man standing before him. He seemed weakened by the battle, but still very experienced. He would have been a tough challenge for the Raiders.
"If you're looking for Raiders, I think we've cleared most of them off."
The man, Kanaye had overheard previously the name Kurian, lowered his blade with little reluctance, but his face still stayed vigilant against betrayal. His eyes turned to Laertes.
"It's not common to walk the streets with a dragon." he said, "Especially with what's been happening recently." There was no mercy in his voice.
"He was aquired under unusual circumstances"
Kurian grunted his acceptance, and walked around the deserted street. Kanaye couldn't help see the tint of sadness displayed in his eyes. He leaned against the wall of a deserted building and exhaled deeply.
"How was the battle on your side?" Kanaye inquired.
"We managed to get most of the people to safety," Kurian stated, "But some casualties were unavoidable."
It was obvious he had lost someone in the melee. Kanaye realised for a moment that his personality was returning to it's normal state, before his father died. He now knew empathy, and had an uncontrollable urge to shed his armour and live peacefully. With a twinge of worry, Kanaye wondered if he had the willpower to kill again.
"Yours?" Kurian asked.
"The same I guess." Kanaye thought of Kuma, and the child he couldn't save. "How long do you think it'll take for the city to return to normal?"
Their conversation was interupted by the arrival of a character from down the street. He wasn't using his left leg, and he clutched his chest which was streaming with blood. Yet below the red lay and unmistakable layer of purple armour. His other hand was filled with a crossbow. The lump on his head gave him away as the Raider Kanaye had seen previously.
"One more step, peasants," the Raider threatened, "and you will find you have unusual aftertaste of blood"...

Kurian turned slowly to glare at the savaged raider who now stood in their path. Obviously beaten and bloodied the raider had a gleaming look of desperation written across his face. In his manic state Kurian was uncertain of the threat this man posed. The leveled crossbow, however, should be considered as a deadly threat, weilded by a dying man or not.

"You are in no position to be making threats raider scum" Kurian spat venomously. The raider turned his gaze to the injured young man, a bitter smile twisting his lips.

"Would you wish to die little man, it seems you're halfway there already care for me to finish the job?" The crossbow the man was holding soon founds itself aimed at Kurian's chest, the young warrior only able to stand weakly and watch the raider through hooded lids. Raising himself from his crouched position, Kurian straightened himself to full height and stood as proudly as he could muster before his enemy, the sword shaking in his hand the only indication of the strength and energy such a task required.

"Kill me then coward," Kurian growled and thrust his sword into the debris at his feet spreading his arms wide and baring his chest, " I'm unarmed, I'll make it easy for you.

The raider smirked and aimed.

Chi: Sideria's not dead.

Jaht: There's no way she survived.

Chi: I can't accept that.

Jaht: Well, we can have Talon check if we're still alive by the time he gets here.

Chi: Or we can check now.

Jaht: We go in there before Talon gets here, and there's no way we'll survive.

Chi: I still have the flute. If the dragon attacks us, i'll use it.

Jaht: There are a couple things wrong with that plan. One, if that dragon comes for us, we'll have absolutly no time to react once we know it's there. And two, what makes you think the flute will work on this dragon? It's had a very long time to strengthen its mind. I'm sure it can resist the flute.

Chi: We have to do something.

Jaht: What we'll do is wait for Talon.

Chi: we need to do something now.

Jaht: If you try to go into the mountian, I will not hesitate to use force to keep you out. I'm here to save your life, and I have no problems with doing it against your will.

<"May I intervene? I wanted to tell you that there is hope for Sideria...I'm not sure but I think I sense a faint heartbeat, and not of a human..."> Dryoga said to both in their minds, interrupting the two. <"Jaht is right, Chi. If we go in there we won't make it back, and if we do, not in one piece...The flute may not work unless you have the ability and song to even slightly contain a dragon as ancient as Siene.">

"...Fine, Dryoga...if you think she's alive then we'll wait for Talon. I just feel so useless to Sideria since I can't get to her..." Chi said as she began to grow upset.

Dryoga curled himself around Chi and lay down. He decided it was the easiest way to protect Chi if she was attacked. <"Chi...I won't let you down..."> Dryoga thought to Chi.

Jaht: Well, all we can do now is wait and hope that Talon gets here before we're dead. (Six armed men in the raider's uniforms show up) Never mind.

Raider 1: That dragon could be a problem.

Raider 3: We can still complete our assignment.

Raider 1: True. (To Jaht) Didn't expect to see you here, Jaht.

Chi: Wait a minute. Jaht, do you know him?

Jaht: No, but I have worked with this particulal group of raiders before. The symbol on their uniforms marks the group they're from, and I recognise their symbol.

Raider 2: We're here to-

Jaht: Shut up.

Dryoga: (To Chi and Jaht only) [I'll take care of them.]

Jaht: No. If we keep the dragon entertained, we'll live longer. And it might just enjoy a six-on-one battle, especially if I hold my own, which I'm more than capable of. So, boys, how about it? The six of you against me. If you kill me, take what you're here for.

Raider 2: We can take him.

Raider 1: He's a very skilled fighter, but I think we can win. Jaht, we accept.

(The raiders draw their weapons. Raider 1 has two katanas, and the other raiders each have a sword. Jaht draws his poles)

Jaht: Then let's get started.

[COLOR=Navy][I][B]A while before the Raiders arrived in Takuya's post:[/B][/I]

(The conversations are only between Dryoga and Chi}
Chi sighed and lay back against Dryoga's scaley skin.

{"I feel so helpless Dryoga...If Sideria dies...."} Chi confided to her dragon.
<"Don't worry Chi. She won't die. We'll rescue her. Don't worry."> Dryoga assured.
{"I hope so..."}
<"Don't give up hope Chi. We just need to wait.">

Then the raiders arrived.

{"Should I help him?"} Chi asked.
<"No, I think this has something to do with his pride."> Dryoga said watching.
{"But if he gets in trouble we have to help him."} Chi said closing her eyes from sleepiness.

Summoning all the dragons that she had took a lot of energy from her and made her sleepy.

<"Rest Chi. If he needs help I'll help...And I'll protect you."> she heard him say in her mind before she surrendered to the sleep.

Chi fell asleep and she had a dream of Sideria. It seemed more like a vision. She was unconscious and in the palm of a giant dragon that lay by a magma pit inside the mountain. Chi realised that the dragon must be the great Siene. Chi was angry. She had to get to Sideria before it was too late.

Chi started to toss and turn and mumble incoherant things. Dryoga nudged her gently with his snout, bringing her back into awareness. She sat up and looked around.

<"You were tossing and mumbling things."> Dryoga said with worry.
{"I had a dream about Sideria. It was more of a vision really. She's unconscious in the mountain with Siene."} Chi said with stress.
<"We just need to wait for Talon, then we can find out for real."> Dryoga said with calmness. One of them had to be calm. And it was going to be him.[/COLOR]

(Not only is Jaht holding his own against the raiders, he's winning. Three are dead already, and he's about to take out a fourth when he sees something. He runs toward Chi)

Jaht: Dryoga, take them! (He tackles Chi. The two of them tumble a good distance down the mountian. When they stop, Jaht stand and helps Chi up) Sorry about that.

Chi: Why did you do that?

Jaht: I noticed a very well-hidden archer. He was aiming for you. Your sholder, to be precice. His arrow had some kind of substance on it.

Chi: Poison?

Jaht: If he wanted to kill you, he would have aimed for the heart. No, I think it was a tranquilizing substance. He was about to fire when I got to you. I couldn't have reached him in time, so I tackled you out of the way. Didn't think we'd end up down here, but at least you're safe from them. Dryoga should be done with them by the time we make it back up there.

[size=1][color=#999999][i]The shaoowy figure that flew around Talisman rested itself in front of her. She stopped playing on her flute and it looked down to her. It was Yamato. Talisman put her Dragon Flute away and looked to the large White Dragon.[/i]

"Yamato."

"Alandra. It seems like ages have passed since last I've seen you."

"Yes. It has. And it seems that my spell is still intact."

"And a grand thing it has been. Helped me create new doorways every single day."

"Ah. I knew something was different."

"Yes. But, you have come from far away not just to conversate I hope."

"No. That is not what I intended at all. I need to know how I can find the dragons of element."

"Hmm. To find the dragons of element you must pass the tests of their protectors. Each protector will give you a key and it will lead you to the Dragon of Element. Then you must pass the dragon's test and you will recieve a rare item from that dragon."

"Which Element am I to go to first?"

"You must go to the Dragon of Earth, Izanami. That is all that I can say. But, before you go, take this."

[i]Yamato turned and grabbed a small box in his mouth. He put it down before Talisman, who walked up to it and took the box. It had the engravings of the smybol of Getsushirin on the top. Then other symbols were on each side of the box. Talisman looked to Yamato.[/i]

"An old friend gave that to me so that her daughter may take it as her own."

"Mother gave this to you?"

"Yes. Inside is something valuable to you and your family. But to open the box, each symbol must shine."

[i]Talisman nodded and said her good bye. She stood at the doorway and looked to the box in her hand. It was strange to see that her mother knew Yamato as well. She then looked to the sky to see if Diablo and Veritas could be seen.[/i]
--------------------

[B]OOC:[/B] I need to find a certain "mage" who knows about the "secrets" of my past. But, my "dragon" is not back at Yamato's "lair" and so I cannot "question" this so called "mage". I hope that certain "mage" posts.[/size][/color]

[COLOR=Teal][SIZE=1][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]
More! Even more pathetic wretches had dared tread upon his domain, dared to fight, to spill their corrupt blood upon his earth. Siene was furious as he made his way alone another massive passage, barely large enough to contain his colossal form. Sideria sat confused and dazed in his palm, still unable to fathom what had happened to her.
Reaching the end of his passage the ancient dragon placed his guest gently into the confines of a small cave, no less than three hundred feet from the passage floor. Once the tiny dragon had moved back into the out-cove Siene sealed the chamber with several massive boulders, far too large for any ordinary creature, or dragon for that matter, to move.
Satisfied that his guest would be safe from the coming inferno Siene returned to the magma pool in the center of the Smoky Mountain, bent on the deaths of all those foolish enough to desecrate his land.

The mountaintop exploded, seeming to rend the still air with booming tones. Chi and Jaht turned to see the twirling maelstrom climb into the sky, massive boulders tossed amongst an endless torrent of ash and lava, crowning the searing avalanche of fiery wind tearing down the mountainside.
A second suddenly precious, the pair scarcely had time to spy one another before leaping down the next sweeping segment of steep cliffs, their plight desperate and futile. Massive lumps of molten rock, bigger than the dragons they had seen, were already crashing into the earth behind them, the inevitable wave of fury tearing down the mountain closed on them with great speed.
When all seemed lost, the pair unable to descend further and the cloud almost upon them Dryoga flew from the ash filled sky, collecting his companions before making for the relative safety of the vast plains below.

Siene?s massive lipless mouth once again curled into a sinister smile, the warmth of the magma rushing past him filling every crevice of his body, filled him with an almost intoxicating feeling of warmth. They were fleeing, leaving his land alone. But they would return and he had to be ready for that.

[center]--------------------[/center]

Talon clung to the dragon?s broad back with white knuckles, he had never ridden on a dragon before, there had never been a need. Siene had always said it was disrespectful to treat his noble race as beasts of burden, they were far superior to men.
A booming roar, loud enough to move the air around him, pulled Talon from his musings, drawing his eyes towards where the Smoky Mountain lay. The whole range had been covered in a vast cloud of dust, a cloud tearing towards the devastated city of High Haven, carrying massive boulders and burning ash with it.
Deep Sea swerved towards the plains, dropping quickly under the cloud and towards the companions they sort. Landing shakily in the thick torrents of grass Talon dismounted and the pair moved to join Chi, Jaht and Dryoga.
The ambassador?s face turned towards High Haven, grimacing as the ash reached the already smoking city, massive boulders shattering its elegant walls, the clock tower falling in a similar fashion, a fiery shower of stone to the few left below.
Turning to the companions Talon raised an eyebrow, curious as to what they thought he could do to prevent Siene?s rage?

[center]--------------------[/center]

[b]OOC:[/b] Remember the ash is everywhere peoples, not dangerous just everywhere...[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Jaht: About time you got here.

Talon: You're very lucky to be alive right now.

Jaht: I had to come here. Chi's still alive right now, and that's what matters. I think she's still convinced that Sideria's alive.

Chi: Sideria is still alive. She's with the dragon Siene.

Talon: How did you know his name?

Jaht: Why do I think we've left "normal" back in the city?

Chi: I had a- a vision.

Jaht: Definatly no more normal. Well, Talon, I don't know if Sideria's dead or alive, but no matter what, you need to convince Siene not to kill us. After that, you can determine sideria's condition. Think you can handle it?

[COLOR=Teal][SIZE=1][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode] Talon turned from Jaht to the fiery mountain, the spectacle it had become holding his gaze for the barest of moments. The ambassador knew there was no way he could get into the mountain, it was simply too hot. Turning back to Jaht he said: ?I can handle it. But you?ll have to draw Siene out here, I can?t possibly survive that sort of heat.?

At this Jaht lowered his eyes, deep in thought. How did you lure a dragon, that hadn?t left its range for close to a century, out into the open? Talon had turned back towards High Haven, his face wrought with concern for the burning city. Spot fires were running unchecked throughout and much of its once grand heritage lay in ruin atop the flagstones of its numerous courts.
The distant echo of heavy stones falling into the city didn?t easy his discontent; Talon was beginning to doubt the city?s survival. Crushed, as it was it would take years to restore it to what it was, and even then the deluge of death would hold it from its former glory.

After a time Talon was suddenly made aware of Jaht and Chi?s words, he was unsure how long they had continued speaking, how long he had been standing within his mind, absorbed by the devastation around him.

?Are you alright?? Chi was asking, her voice distant, as if it were echoing through several rooms to reach him. Talon turned to her, his eyes glassy, detatched.

[i]Yes, you?re fine.[/i] The ambassador?s eyes widened, his legs twirling him in search of the intruder, trying to find the source of the immense weight on his mind.[i] Answer her fool.[/i]

?Yes, yes I?m fine.? Talon restored his face, carefully holding his confusion within. Maybe it was Siene, could he do that? ?W-where were we?? Chi and Jaht exchanged worried glances at this.

?You sure you?re ok?? Jaht repeated Chi?s question. A sudden rush of concern filling his mind as he foresaw Sideria?s only hope waning in front of them.

?Yes, I told you before. I?m fine.? Talon straightened his robes as he spoke, subconsciously avoiding eye contact with the pair.
[i]That?s it; make sure they don?t suspect a thing.[/i] The presence encroached further upon his mind, resounding through his head as it spoke. Talon?s stern features broke into a smile with the words: ?Why wouldn?t I be??[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

The silence seemed endless...
Kanaye was actually worried at their situation. Even though it was just an already beaten Raider, who would probably die soon anyway, he was against a pacifist and someone who seemed suicidal as it was. Kurian had no intention of backing down, as the crossbow aimed at his chest, so Kanaye had to make the first move, even if it went against every moral fibre in his body. With a yell, Kanaye yanked the crossbow from his own back (an earlier model, but would get the job done) and aimed it furiously in the Raider's direction,
"One more move," he said through gritted teeth, "and you will suddenly resemble a hedgehog." Not his best wit, but a good attempt.
The Raider laughed through fits of coughing. "Don't you see. I'm dead already. There's nothing you can do to threaten me." He laughed again. "Don't even try to shoot me."
"Who said I was going to shoot you?"
With a flick of his trigger-finger, Kanaye sent an arrow flying at the Raider's crossbow. The wooden missile shattered the cross-hair, and the previously loaded arrow fell downwards, carving a neat hole through the Raiders foot. Kanaye opened his eyes and smiled to himself. Laertes chittered happily beside him. The Raider looked up in shock, then in sheer fury. He grabbed a knife from his belt and charged toward Kanaye, blood streaming from his wounds. That's when Kurian made his move...

Jaht: Why wouldn't you be fine? Well, let me tell you what I saw. First, you had a look of surprise on your face, then you spun around as if looking for somebody. You stuttered when you spoke, too. Also, you're avoiding eye contact, which is frequently a sign of hiding something. There's something you aren't telling us, isn't there?

Talon: I- no. No, there's not.

Jaht: Bullsh*t. You're hiding something, for sure.

Talon: No, I'm not.

Jaht: I know how to read people, Talon. It's a skill that's saved my life several times. Chi, we need to get out of here. Now.

Chi: What about Sideria?

Jaht: Let Talon take care of Sideria.

Chi: I-

Jaht: If you try to stay, I'll be forced to break your legs. You're coming with me, and you're coming now. The situation just got a lot more dangerous, but I think we might be able to survive if we get the hell out of here. Come on! (Jaht and Chi climb on Dryoga's back. Dryoga takes off and flies toward the city) Don't go to the city. We need to put as much distance between us and that mountian as possible, but in a different direction.

(Dryoga turns away from the city)

Chi: Why? Weren't we safe with Talon there?

Jaht: Until Talon started lying to us, I thought we were. I was wrong. Now, not even the city's far enough away from that mountian. And if we're in the city, we're putting everyone there in more danger than they're already in. We need to wait at least a day before we can risk returning. I think Siene was instructing Talon, telling him what to do. If I'm right, then we're not safe with Talon, or anywhenr near that mountian. Tomorrow, I think things will have settled down eoungh to risk returning to the city, but not before then.

Chi: Are you sure?

Jaht: I've lived this long because I know what I'm doing. If I didn't know exactly what I was doing all the time, I'd be dead by now. Yes, I'm sure.

(The two sit in scilence for a few minutes)

Chi: Jaht, I just thought of something. If the mountain was too hot for Talon to go into it, why did he think you could?

Jaht: I don't- ****!

Chi: What?

Jaht: Talon didn't want to help us. He was sending me into the mountian so that Siene would kill me. You'd be alone with him.

Chi: So?

Jaht: Talon knows you have the flute, I believe.

Chi: You're saying he's with the raiders.

Jaht: Exactly. That son-of-a-*****! He's dead if I ever see him again. I don't care what happens to me. If I have the cahnce, I'm going to kill him.

[COLOR=Teal][SIZE=1][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode] Staring after the companions Talon tried to gather his thoughts, had he really looked like he was lying? Had he withheld something from them? Shaking his head he looked around the suddenly empty fields. The western edge blanketed in a thick smoke, disappearing under the oozing lava, High Haven in ruin to the east, the barest hint of the green forests crowning the northern horizon, there was no one for leagues.

Turning slowly Talon fell to his knees, his mind suddenly numb, ebbing under the confusion that swirled through it. Now why did you go and do that? The voice echoed through all he knew, through his ears, behind his eyes, along his spine, even through his memories, his past. Had it always been there, had he just noticed it now?

With a hint of grey the sky darkened from the south, a heavy storm was rolling in. Coming to cleanse High Haven, free it from the failed festival?s devastation. Talon turned his eyes from the sky, his mind filled with a sudden guilt. Unable to comprehend why he felt he had betrayed this intruder, this thing that echoed through his mind, he slumped to the ground, the grass? soft tickle occupying his last thoughts as he lost consciousness.

[center]* * *[/center]

Waking in a shivering heap Talon rose to find the storm had set in, he could see no more than a dozen feet in any direction, apparently night had followed. After dragging his numb bulk from the mud the ambassador trudged slowly towards the smoky mountain, it ominous faces silhouetted over the raging sky.
He pulled his robes tighter in a vain attempt at warmth, squinting into the blinding fury the sky had become he looked desperately for some sign of help, anything to free him from nature?s numbing agony. Unsure how many hours he had lain on the plains, their suddenly slick surface hinting at the possibility of days, Talon called for Siene, the ancient name going unheard amongst the fitful winds.

Unable to recollect much of the day?s events, his mind was filled with unordered and seemingly exaggerated scenes of High Haven?s collapse, Talon reasoned the intruder must have been a dream. Even dragons were lacking in sorcery powerful enough to overwhelm a sentient creature?s mind, or were they. Was there some dark secret that had been hidden from men, were they able to do such a thing? With a violent shudder he tried to shake the paranoia that clawing at the back of his mind.
You don?t want to talk to him. You heard Jaht; he only wants to hurt you. Talon stopped dead, realizing his nightmare held no less realty to it than the mud that clung greedily to his soles. Turning in a frantic circle he searched for the abominable source, knowing deep down it wasn?t to be found.

?What do you want?? He shouted into the night, the lashing rains his only reply. ?Just leave me alone!? Lightning arched across the heavy gloom, highlighting his goal once again. Talon hastened towards the mountain, forcing his horror to the numb regions of his mind.

Reaching the mountain?s sweeping foot he almost collapsed in exasperation. The earlier eruption had left the base completely changed, its once familiar features now burnt and barren. Even the moss-covered boulders, twice the size of the tallest man, had been buried in the fiery maelstrom.

Despair taking hold, Talon collapsed to his knees, his robes heavy with mud, his face caked in filth, he had no desire to scale the mountain. Perhaps it would be best if he lay here and die, maybe then Sideria would be able to rest easy, knowing she wasn?t the only innocent felled by powerful beasts today. His guilt suddenly rushed forth with impossible clarity, as if a great dam had broken and filled his mind with a deluge of understanding; despair.

It was his fault Sideria had died, if he had gone to the mountain when Jaht had asked she would be alive right now, safe with Chi, huddled by the cozy hearth of their home. A knew wave of sorrow rolled through his mind with this, there was no home. High Haven was all but leveled by the raiders, by the eruption; another thing he could have prevented had he arrived that little bit sooner.
Come now, its not all your fault. He was the one who did it after all. Talon pulled his face from the ground turning it skyward, a new thought filling his mind: ?No. It is his fault. I didn?t do it he did. Yes he did it.? The ambassador muttered to himself, the voice suddenly forgotten.

?Siene!? He called into the night, a fiery determination ripping through his muscles, forcing him forward once more. ?Siene come down here!? There was no reply, there seldom was. ?Coward!? Talon continued up the uneven slop, his rational shattered by the blinding devices of the intruder.

A thundering roar split the earth and a booming voice filled his ear with a tongue scarcely known. ?What do you want, stumbling blindly though my domain?? Siene leered down the cliff face at Talon, the man?s flesh quickly losing its blue tinge with his approach, squinting into the heat he began his rant.
?Why did you kill her?? He yelled as if into the sky, his neck craning to find the colossal dragon?s face. ?Why did you kill them all?? He continued in his anger, pushed by the malevolent voice as he motioned towards the unseen city. ?What gives you the right to look down upon us?? raising a bony finger, barely able to hold it there in his fits of emotion, Talon continued to accused Siene, his rational lost?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

(Jaht and Chi are riding Dryoga back toward the city)

Chi: I still don't understand why we're going back tonight. I thought you said we wouldn't be safe in the city until tomorrow.

Jaht: That was before I realized I was missing something. I know I had it at the mountian, and I couldn't find it after we left. It wasn't until now that the significance hit me.

Chi: What is it?

Jaht: A fake version of your flute. Branit-I assume you've met him. He's in charge of security for the festival-gave me one. A few others have them, too. They look exactly like the real thing. Since I lost it on the mountian, Talon's probably found it. I don't think Siene would be too happy if he thought Talon had the flute. And when a dragon like that is angry with you, you tend to die. I don't think we have to worry about Talon any more, and if we stay out of Siene's territory, he should leave us alone.

Chi: What about Sideria?

Jaht: Sideria's dead, all right? I don't know how many times I have to tell you that. Forget about Sideria. You won't see her again. You should be concerned with keeping yourself safe.

[COLOR=Navy]"NO!" Chi screamed with fury. "SIDERIA IS ALIVE!"

Chi eyes blazed with fire and she yelled a spell "Wingardium Leviosa!"(Taken from Harry Potter, I know. And don't tell me about the spelling, I don't really care about the spelling of a spell)

A pair of large white wings sprouted from her back and Chi jumped off Dryoga.

"Take Jaht back to the town. I have no need of his assistance." She said to Dryoga before talking to Jaht. "I can take care of myself, and I will rescue Sideria, if it's the last thing I do!" Chi said turning around and flying back toward the mountain.

"NO!!" Jaht screamed after her but it was no use, Dryoga was flying further away from her.

<"I'll come back and help you after I drop him off."> Dryoga told Chi.
{"Thankyou. I think I'll need all the help I can get."} Chi replied.

Chi flapped her wings and rose. A storm had come in and was raining heavily. She wouldn't believe that her best friend was dead. They'd been together for so many years, she didn't know what would happen to her without Sideria. Sure, she had Dryoga and all of the other dragons she tamed, but Sideria had the biggest bond.

"You're not dead, You're alive, and I'll rescue you." Chi muttered as her wings started to get heavy from the rain.

Chi noticed the mountain and landed. The wings disappeared and Chi looked at the dreaded mountain. She would have to go in. Chi cast the cooling spell and hoped for luck as she made her way into the mouth of the mountain cave.[/COLOR]

Lunging forward with surprising speed given his current condition Kurian grasped hold of the unsuspecting raiders wrist and and twisted the arm with full force. The crack of the bone and the raiders piercing screams could be heard through the streets. Ramming his elbow into the raiders chest he smashed the back of his fist against the man's face, effectively breaking his nose. Having dropped the knife as shards of nerve searing pain ripped through his arm there was little the raider could do but whimper as Kurian let him slump to his knees. Kneeling stiffly down himself Kurian retrieved the knife carefully from the muddy street, a look of distain crossing his features as he held it between his thumb and forefinger like a soiled hankerchief. Flinging the chipped and dull blade far from the raiders grasp Kurian muttered scornfully as he kicked the sobbing raider in the back.

"Amatures."

The beaten raider rocked mournfully, clutching his shattered wrist and spasming painfully with each wracking cough. Shaking visibly himself, Kurian returned to his propped position against one of the crumbling houses.

"Nice aim you've got there." His appreciation was directed towards Kanaye's skilled shot at disarming the raider, saving Kurian's life.
Kanaye looked at his companion, slightly disturbed by the display of physical violence he had just witnessed.

"Thanks"

Jaht: (Thinking) ****! God damn it! What the hell does she think she's doing?! She'll just et herself killed! (Dryoga quickly reaches the city) (Out loud) Drop me in the main square. (Dryoga lands in the main square. Bodies are everywhere, both dead and dying. the decorations are torn, everything edible is gone, the streets are a mess, and anyone who can is helping to restore order. Jaht locates Branit and runs over to him) I thought you'd be here.

Branit: Jaht! I was beginning to think you wouldn't make it.

Jaht: I had doubts myself, but not because of the raiders. Do you know a man named Talon?

Branit: Ambassador Talon?

Jaht: He's an ambassador? Whose ambassador {OOC: Please tell me whose ambassador he is, skedy} is he?

Branit: I don't know. Why?

Jaht: During the attack, I tried to get Chi to safety. I think the raiders were after her and her... well, we've been calling it a flute for security reasons. She was too naive to realized that the raiders would have no problem with kidnapping her, so she left the safe place I found and when chasing after a dragon named Sideria. She and another dragon, Dryoga, tracked Sideria to that volcano that erupted earlier, and I followed on another dragon, Deep Sea. Fortunately, I got there before she went inside. See, inside that mountian lives a very old dragon. The things nearing three thousand years. I assume you know what that age would do to it.

Branit: Yes.

Jaht: Well, it's Talon who told me about that dragon, Siene, about a year ago. Siene doesn't like intruders or humans, Talon being the exception for unknown reasons. I sent Deep Sea to find Talon, which he did. Talon got to us before Siene did, but that turned out to be a bad thing. Talon wanted me to go into the mountian alone. That would have caused me to die, leaving Chi alone with Talon. True, there was Dryoga, but Siene could have killed Dryoga easily.

Branit: You think Talon's with the raiders?

Jaht: Yes. And as if that's not bad enough, there was something else he was concealing. At one point, he had a look of surprise on his face, and spun around like he was looking for someone or something. When he spoke nexe, he stuttered, and he appeared to be deliberatly avoiding eye contact. I had Dryoga get Chi and I out of there. About half an hour ago, we began heading back here. Chi, still convinced that Sideria's alive despite the fact that she's been inside the mountian since before Chi got there, decided to head back to the mountian after instructing ryoga to bring me back here.

Branit: What do we do?

Jaht: I need you to get me the fastest dragon in the area. I don't care if it's tamed or wild, as long as it can get me to where I need to go by yesterday. I think I can get into that mountian and come back out alive, but only with the proper help. Talon needs Chi alive, so if I can get back to the mountian before he leaves-which I should be able to-I think I can save her. I don't have time to say any more. Just get me your fastest dragon, and [i]now[/i].

Branit: Understood. (He runs off)

Kanaye looked at Kurian in a mixture of awe and fright. Had he ever been like this? He sighed and sat down on the blood-stained floor, Laertes resting on his shoulder.
"What do you think will happen now?" he asked tentatively.
"I guess the town'll return to normal with time." replied his companion, "I doubt they'll get over this, though."
Kanaye made an affirmative noise and looked into the skies. A pair of dragons circled overhead. Kanaye realised his anger at dragons had all but gone. He had discovered they were a truly remakable species, and that incidents such as the one that changed his life were rare. Dragons were like people, they could work for good or evil. In that respect, dragons were very much like people. They grew curious, felt rage and sadness, formed complex relationships...
He turned to Laertes, speaking in his mind.
Are you asleep?
{"No, just resting my eyes."}
About before. You said you didn't like your fathers actions against other dragons.
{"Hmm"}
Well... what about when I went beserk? How did you feel about me?
Laertes thought for a moment. {"I guess I was a little sad. You're my family now, and I didn't like the way you acted"}
Kanaye looked down in shame.
{"But I can't blame you for what you did. You were acting in self defence. I suppose you'd do the same if I was in trouble."}
So... you forgive me.
Laertes opened his eyes and smiled. {"Of course!"}
They were interupted by Kurian's gruff voice.
"Hey, get up."
[CENTER]...[/CENTER]

(It isn't long before a dragon lands by Jaht)

Jaht: I assume you're the dragon Branit found for me?

Abiadura: [Yes. My name is Abiadura.]

Jaht: Mine's Jaht. All right, Abiadura. I need to get somewhere fast.

Abiadura: [Where do you need to go?] (Jaht tells him) [You're sure? That's very dangerous. You probably won't survive.]

Jaht: I've been there before. I helped him out, so he owes me. I need his help to save a girl named Chi.

Abiadura: [Chi? Why didn't you mention her? Climb on and let's get moving.]

(Jaht climbs onto Abiadura's back, and Abiadura takes off. As fast as Abiadura moves, he reaches Jaht's destination quickly. Once there, Jaht gets off and walks toward a large cave entrance in the side of a volcano. He turns back toward Abiadura)

Jaht: You can go. Don't worry, I'll be fine. (Abiadura flies off, and Jaht enters the volcano. It gets hotter the farther in he goes, but he stops before the heat becomes dangerous. He's in a very large cavern) Anzunden! I require you assistance!

(Anzunden remains unseen as he responds)

Anzunden: [I remember you, Jaht. Why do you need my aid?]

Jaht: Chi Iteki is in danger. She carries-

Anzunden: [I know who she is.]

Jaht: Of course. Well, she went looking for a young dragon named Sideria. Sideria entered a volcano near the city of High Haven. A dragon named Siene lives in that volcano.

Anzunden: [I know of Siene, and of the human Talon who knows Siene.]

Jaht: A band of raiders attacked High Haven earlier. I think they were after Chi. I got Talon to come to the volcano with me. He got there before Siene killed Chi and I, but that didn't improve things. He seems to be with the raiders. I got Chi away in time, but she went back, convinced that Sideria is still alive. Even if Siene didn't kill her, the recent eruption would have. Talon wants her, and she's walking into his hands. I'd go save her, but Siene would kill me. That's why I came here. If you can handle Siene, I can handle Talon.

Anzunden: [I can, and to repay you I will.]

(The great dragon Anzunden shows himself. As the Element Dragon of Fire, Anzunden is pure red in color. Nearing 4,000 years old, he is truly massive. He is a truly impresive sight to behold, and one can get a sense of his power just by looking at him. He picks up Jaht and exits the volcano. He reaches Siene's volcano quickly, and locates Talon and Siene. He puts Jaht down and engages Siene. Jaht faces Talon with poles drawn)

Jaht: Where the hell is she?

Talon: Jaht, what's going on?

Jaht: Don't give me your bullsh*t. I've got you figured out. You're with the raiders. Chi came back here looking for Sideria. Siene would have located her almost immediatly. You need her alive, so she's not dead. Where is she?

Talon: What?! Jaht, I'm not with the raiders!

Jaht: You know that's a lie, and so do I. Now, if you won't tell me where Chi is, I'll have to force it out of you. Oh, and don't expect Siene to save you. Anzunden, Element Dragon of Fire, iis more then a match for him. So it's just you and me. Bring it on.

---------------------------------

OOC: In case you don't remember, it's Arika who made up the Element Dragons in the first place. I just introduced one. I hope nobody minds. Oh, and Skedy, neither Talon nor Siene has to die or even be badly injured unless you want that to happen.

[COLOR=Teal][SIZE=1][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode] Sensing a fresh intruder?s presence long before it hid the stars or stole the moon, Siene flapped his wings; leaving Talon forgotten in the mountain?s once molten dust.

The pair climbed high above the world of men, one great beast after the other. Anzunden possessed a fraction of Siene?s speed, a result of his incredible size, and was quickly left behind; lost in the blinding rain were it not for his size, its heavy droplets disappearing under the sweltering flesh of the ancients.

?What are you talking about?? Talon stumbled backwards, falling once more to the earth?s thickening soil; the heavy rains disguising his foe?s face. ?I?m not with any raiders.?

He?s trying to trick you. He has to be one of them, why else would he attack you? An ambassador of the city most esteemed representative of the council. The voice shattered his mind once more, its musical tones flowing through Talon?s mind. Kill him, before he kills you.

Talon pulled himself quickly from the mud, edging away from Jaht as he did. Here he hesitated, the voice taking sway once more. Look at him. He wants to kill you. He will, you know he will.

?No!? Talon screamed, shaking his head furiously, his mud slicked brow folding in confusion. ?No, you?re wrong!? Jaht paused, his conviction wavering, his words unheard. He wants Chi, her ocarina. The voice continued to echo, to boom through every thought, every memory.

The ambassador fell to his knees, shaking as he pulled himself into an unsteady kneel. Come on, before he does. He won?t expect that. His eyes hidden from the arcing flashes of the sky above, Talon broke into a sneer.

?I won?t let you get it.? Pushing his hands into the thick mud as he spoke, the ambassador issued his warning. As unnaturally still as the statues of High Haven?s sweeping courts he relished the moment, driven by the spell of his mind. ?I?ll be damned before I let you get it.?

Jaht?s eyes widening with the chill of his voice, suddenly aware his foes motives; it was too late. Talon had sprung forward, wrapping himself around the warrior?s legs; all sense of self-preservation gone, lost as only the blind can.

Their footing lost he pair tumbled down the steep slope, their limbs intertwined through their tumbling descent. Sliding to a halt caked in sludge and burdened with bruises, the pair separated; each jumped to his feet, scrambling desperately for a weapon, an advantage. Talon unarmed and Jaht?s blades lost in the tumble they dived forward once more, the warrior?s skill a clear advantage against the flailing ambassador?

[center]~[/center]

Circling one another in the world above, the clouds themselves shying from the intense heat of the dragons, the ancients prepared their assault. Their last encounter had been peaceful, a simple dispute to order their territory. Anzunden held High Haven?s east, Siene its west; at the time both were unsure who owned High Haven, they had argued, debated and competed for close to a century; finally concluding with men?s ownership of the tiny city the dragons returned to their abodes, content with the decision.

Now this, half a century later Anzunden was attacking his ally for no clear reason, and Siene would be damned before he let the ancient take him and nothing more. ?What do you want?? He called in their ancient tongue, his voice echoing over the thunder as he hastened towards Anzunden. ?Why do you wish me harm??

?I must repay my debt, I owe my life to the man below, and now he wishes this assault.? The reply boomed, as the creatures closed; each prepared for the initial strike. The monsters clashed, the sky itself splitting with the rage of their fiery clash. Neither struck true and the ancients separated once more, each circling in a wide arc for another attempt.

?You?re as bad as them. Holding your bond with a human over that of your kin.? Siene?s scorn ripping through his opponent?s mind as a raptor?s talons did its prey. Coming to bare on one another once more the pair hastened together, Siene peeling to the earth with little more than a footfall between them.

High Haven screamed towards the dragon and his plight, a tiny prick in its shattered glory as it rose from the night below. Anzunden close behind Siene lured his ancient kindred into the leveled town square, each cutting a fresh wound into the rubble to rest his weary feet. Turning upon the other Siene?s voice echoed once more: ?You care for them so much? You believe them equal to us? You are gravely mistaken my friend.? His ancient dialect unknown to those unfortunate to hear it, the coming doom of his fiery breathe another matter.

Dislodging his jaw as only a serpent can, Siene filled the plaza with his molten breath. The few remaining nearby fled with a blistered pain as their skin erupted in sizzling lesions, the stonework of the town itself melting under the heat.
?Stop it! This prove nothing, I cannot be swayed by their deaths. They mean nothing to me!? Anzunden?s response echoed through the sudden stillness, its silence eerie under the surrounding storm.

?Then why adhere to a commitment made with a creature doomed to die?? Siene glared into Anzunden?s fitful eye as he spoke, sure his conviction would sway his long time friend to reason. ?An ancient serving a man? I?d have much rather seen the end of our world than this day!? Turning in disgust Siene flew from the city, followed closely by Anzunden; the pair leaving a wake of rumor, of fear in the fledgling race of man.

Returning with little more then a dozen wing beats the ancients landed on the mountain, the human and his quarrels forgotten as they made for Sideria, Siene still unsure of Anzunden?s conviction. The rain returned to the world outside, veiling the earth from all but those with the keenest sight, as the dragon?s traversed the passage Siene had seal Sideria within.

?Here take her, she is of little more than a distraction to me.? Siene motioned to the sealed chamber, careful to present and innocent façade for his guest. Intent of furthering Jaht?s goals, Anzunden plunged a claw into the wall; carefully releasing Sideria from her prison he went unaware in his peril, realizing Siene?s malevolence far too late.

Uttering an almost forgotten spell Siene dazed his fellow ancient for the barest of seconds, just long enough for him to find an adequate hold on his neck. The massive dragon?s jaws served their purpose well, dispatching his foe?s neck in a heartbeat.

Sideria pocked her weary head through the carefully carved hole, spying Anzunden?s dieing form she gave a start only to receive Siene?s placid reassurance: ?He was trying to kill you, I had to kill him.? Sideria accepted Siene?s had, content in her naivety.

Even as he carried his prize back along the passage Siene felt the overbearing rush of power flowing into his body, his mind. He had just dispatched the elemental dragon of fire, a position that must be filled; it was the way of the world. Amazed at how such an unwitting dragon attained this distinguished position Siene returned to his pool, careful to keep Sideria from its savage depths.

Chi was still in here somewhere, searching for her beloved companion, seemingly unaware of Jaht?s predicament. Siene smile, he would be waiting for her, happy to receive her, and her ocarina?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]