OtakuBoards

Scared.

Patronus

So. I'm sitting in my room, just browsing online, doing nothing. Then my dog starts growling, like, ferociously. And my dog is not the ferocious type. He is the most loving dog in the world. So, when we hear him begin to growl while he's alone in the living room, my mother and I race into the room.

SOMEONE WAS AT OUR DOOR AND WAS BEGINNING TO OPEN IT. My dog scared them off.

So, after grabbing my bat and shutting my bedroom window, I settle down. Then it begins to get hot in my room. I go to my window, pull the blinds, and start to open my window again.

SOMEONE WAS CROUCHED UNDER MY WINDOW AND DIDN'T EXPECT ME TO BE THERE.

I JUMPED and ran into my mommy's room screaming "Oh my god! Oh my god!"

So she called the police and my defense genes kicked in. The police haven't been by yet, but I'm NOT sleeping tonight.

So, has anything like this ever happened to you?

[COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1]Change your door locks first thing tomorrow. The keyhole's probably messed up right now. And keep that window opened, for chrissakes. The guy's stupid enough to try break through a [i]bedroom[/i] window at night. Slap him for me, will you?

I don't know. It'll probably never happen to my house. We live on the top floor of a building that's got a noisy fire escape and a single door for every residence. it's a blinking fire hazard, I know, but unless thieves come by helicopters, our place is virtually proofed.

And treat your dog to some special dog food. He deserves it.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Muhaha that was me...no really...no one's getting in my home. If they did all they would have to steal in my room is videogames and books. Who wants that? Except someone might want my del computer...then I'd have a serious problem. Despite it doesn't work half the time anyway.

By the way, someone stole a stone donkey off our lawn acouple days ago. Guess they couldn't afford a mother's day gift this year. Funny how they never take the gnomes. Poor gnomes. They get no love.

[COLOR=#FF0055][SIZE=1]My friend and I tried to organise a gnome kidnap scheme when I was in South Africa. We were going to hold them for ransom. That plan didn't really pan out >>;

But onto the topic.

I always get paranoid when I'm home alone, but that does come from living in SA for a long time.

Someone tried to break into our house when we lived there, I was only around five at the time but I remember it well. My dad heard someone at the bars on the window so he got up and they lobbed a brick right through the glass. Luckily, the burglar bars kept them out but it was really frightening.

When we had the police round they found huge metal clippers on the burglar bars.

That's when we got a dog. A big one.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Install flamethrowers in place of your hands. You never need feel scared at home (or anywhere) again.

(unless of course you accidentally burn down the house)

Seriously, though, if you think something like this might happen again, you should perhaps invest in a home security system. Or a bigger dog.

[size=1]Well, I went through a stage of beimng terrified of burglars. I had a specific 'weapon' in every room of the house. I've grown past that stage, but believe it or not, I check under my bed almost every night before going to sleep. I don't think I'm genuinely worried about someone being there, but...it's just a compulsive thing. Whatever, lol.

When I was around 3 years old, there was someone outside of our house. I don't remember it or anything, but my mum has told me about it on several occasions. That'd be terrifying. As it is, I sleep with a hockey stick under my bed. Until the situation occurs, I don't know whether I'd be terrified and curl up in the corner, or get out there and beat the crapola out of them. But I'd like to think I'd do the latter :p

However, when you think about it, burglars don't really break in at night. I mean, [b]everyone[/b] is home at night. Only a dumb burglar would try to break in at night.[/size]

lmao.how come u people keep referring to dogs when it comes to gaurding a house?i guess its common thinking but, i noe of a cat that will do pretty well too.

its a blind kitten that is scared all the time since it wasnt born blind.so its claws are always out, and they are [I]sharp[/I] . sharp and hooked.and it attaches itself to anything it lands on with surpriseing ferocity.so if you get a cat like tt jus throw it at the person and he'll run away for sure

it tore hole in my pants when i tried to extract him from my lap :animeangr
you can see 1cm big holes on that pair of shorts now

[COLOR=#004a6f]My mom is pretty anal about keeping intruders out. We usually keep our dorrs locked in the daytime too. There's even those sliding locks on both the front and backdoor, installed high, out of readch of the kids (but that's to keep my little brother from sneaking outside at night).

That's all basic stuff though. My mom was pretty clever when it came to the windows. In my house, we have those double sliding windows with two layers of sliding glass for each side. My mom places blocks of wood between the the layers on both sides. Now the windows are almost impossible to open from the outside, but some burglers have managed to pry them open in other people's houses. But my mom's blocks of wood prevent the window from opening very wide, they only allow for about two inches.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]I always get paranoid that there's someone trying to break into the house. If I keep hearing persistant noises I have to get up and investigate them.

My dog is pretty good at alerting us to when there's been a noise or if there is something in the garden but if it came down to actual protection he would probably be the first one out of the door.

I'm surprised the guy came round to your window after being scared off from the door (unless it was a different guy). Usually they'll go for when they know noone is in the house too, of course that isn't certain. Hell, what do I know I'm a law abiding citizen I don't know squat about robbing a house.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

First of all, give your dog a large dog biscuit. That dog is definately a keeper! Ive never had this happen to me before but someone did sneak into my basement once and i heard movement downstairs yet I was the only one awake so I went downstairs(first floor, not basement) and heard the noises getting louder as if someone were coming upstairs. I quickly pushed a chair against the basement door and called the police. After they herd the door they must have ran because they didn't even try pushing the door open. It was freaky...I was in grade 5 at the time also =P

[COLOR=Indigo]Yeah, I caught someone in my house. I beat him near to death. I got stabbed in the leg in the prossess. His *** is still in prison, and I'd like it no other way.

I always keep a few daito (or bokken) (wodden training sword) around, in dark corners of a few rooms.

There was another break in not too long after. I put those thing to use. No breakins since. That was 3 years ago.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana]I get freaked out when I'm alone in my house at night. I guess I've watched too many cop shows. :animeswea But I have no worries because we breed giant schnauzers (i.e. BIG. BLACK. DOGS with pointy ears and all.) and we have 8 of them. (as well as three miniature schnauzers) Our dogs don't let ANYONE near our house unless they recognize the car (they're weird like that) or the footsteps. Otherwise, our whole house starts shaking with barking and growling. Some of our dogs will protect us like crazy, especially our Paavo. May he rest in peace (died of brain cancer.).

So I have nothing to worry about but I still freak out though. To help, I always leave the TV on downstairs and the hall light on. I don't know why. I guess it's a habit. *shrug*[/FONT]

[quote name='Baron Samedi][size=1']As it is, I sleep with a hockey stick under my bed.[/size][/quote]

Indeed, one would have to be pretty damn stupid to attack any one with a hockey stick anywhere near them. : P My dad's always telling me that, when I live alone and am walking home by myself in the dark, I should carry a hockey stick. Not only is it the perfect weapon, but it guides the assumption that the person carrying it plays hockey.

I've never actually had an experience involving some one crouched outside my window (I think my little cousin did once, actually, but it's not the same thing.), but I tend to be paranoid about stuff like that. I constantly have dreams where some one or a group of people is at the door, trying to get in, or some one is in the house and I'm home alone. (I remember one time I had a dream where I was upstairs with my cat, when I heard some one knocking the piano. *shudder*)

If some one really was in the house, I don't know if I'd curl up in a closet and try not to breathe, make a dash for the nearest exit, or freak out and go at them with a pair of scissors.

[quote name='Baron Samedi][size=1']Well, I went through a stage of beimng terrified of burglars. I had a specific 'weapon' in every room of the house. I've grown past that stage, but believe it or not, I check under my bed almost every night before going to sleep. I don't think I'm genuinely worried about someone being there, but...it's just a compulsive thing. Whatever, lol.[/size][/quote]

lol Baron's house is like a game of clue *ponders where the burglar was killed* hmmm

well, I was never really scared of burglars, or someone sneaking into my house. Theres always so many people coming in and out anyway, I doubt I could tell the difference friend or foe. However, I do have a baseball bat in my room, so don't try anything ;)

I haven't felt afraid in my home in ages! It could be because I live in a very safe neighborhood where all the neighbors look out for each other. In other words there are a lot of senior citizens who know who comes and goes from the neighborhood. The area I live in has only one entrance and the houses are set up in little culd-a-sacs. We have lots of neighborhood activities and gatherings. It's nice to know people are watching out for each other.

I also have 2 very large dogs. Once a security system salesperson stopped by our house and freaked out when she saw my dogs standing behind me! I thought it was funny that the security person was scared off by my "high tech" security system. She jumped of the front porch! My dogs are both big teddy bears but when they bark they are pretty intimidating. When she told me what she was selling I told her that I think my current security system is working well, as seen by her reaction. :animesmil

I'm not sure why she jumped off the porch...perhaps she saw this behind me:
[IMG]http://www.televar.com/~jkb/bun.jpg[/IMG]

But when looked I only saw this:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Panda_chan_/misc/bun.jpg[/IMG]

I am guessing if someone breaks into my house that they will be greeted by the face in the first picture! I really love having big dogs. Nothing in the world makes me feel safe when I am alone at home like a couple of huge dogs sleeping at my feet.

I have been afraid like that before. People broke into my house once but luckily the guard woke up in time to shoot the man. I was scared, hearing a gun shot in the middle of the night not knowing if your parents died is too much for someone to handle. Another time I was this scared was when two snakes sneaked into the house, I'm afraid of snakes so I'm still trying to get over that

you have a guard...who was sleeping? maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't he be...guarding? I don't even have a security system, let alone a guard to "watch" the house and/or sleep. Why didn't he catch the snakes? What kind of guard is he...I'm so disappointed...

[color=darkslateblue] Oh my god... if an intruder ever came into our house, my dog would probably be tearing their face off twenty seconds after encountering her. She is [i]so[/i] violent and aggresive towards anyone that isn't our family. She even almost injured my friend once because she accidently got into the house (but we always put her inside the house during night).

But as for actual intruders, we've never had any (we live in a suburb in northern Georgia...nothin' much going on here, lol).

As for [i]dreams[/i], that's another story. I often have dreams that someone or another is trying to kill me. So I usually wake up in the middle of the night scared shitless just because of my dreams. I mean, just two days ago my mom and dad left for New York to get my sister from NYU after her summer break started. I was home alone for two nights and on one night I had a particularly horrifying dream. I woke up at about three in the morning and heard strange noises for thirty minutes. My heart literally pounds and I contemplate how I would feel in some guy just came up to me in the bedroom and had a knife above me.

It all sounds silly even to me now, but ug. The fear that strikes me at times like that...[/color]

[size=1]I used to live in a pretty rough area, so I'm always going to have that little bit of fear prickling the back of my neck, alone or not.
The week we moved out of our old house, there were two drive by shootings and a group of punks tried to steal my bike while I was on it.
But now I live in a nice quiet place populated by senior citizens and paranoid ex-suburbanites.

I'd give that dog a whole live cow if I were you. Amazing
And do like The Baron, keep a candlstick or wrench in every room.[/size]

Once in my apartment one of my roomates friends just walked in my room (forgot to lock it) while I was asleep. He started rummaging through my desk and that woke me up. I was pretty sleepy so I said something along the lines of "get the hell out." Last time I ever saw him.

That's pretty funny. :animesmil One time while my older sister was still in High School, a boyfriend of hers dropped by at night unannounced. He peered into what he thought at the time was my sister's window. He was wrong.
My dad, who was watching tv, saw him, pointed the remote at him and shouted "GET THE ******* OUT OF HERE!!!!!" which scared the frickin' pee out of him, (he thought it was a gun) and woke everybody up. it was funny.

We have a dog, but he's a toy pomeranian so he's too small to do anything except bark, so as long as a burgler can hear him but not see him, he'll be thinkin' twice about coming in. We also have a cat but he can't do much either. he's waaaayy too fat. :animesigh Personally, I have a prop sword that's made from fairly sturdy plastic, and a pocket knife or two.

I've never had anyone break into my home, but a while back there was a robbery and the guy just out right shot the cashier in the head and killed her. It was a bit freaky as the cops were all over the neighborhood searching for him. I remember making sure all my doors and windows were locked so I wouldn't find him hiding in the house later. He actually ran another direction and they found him a few blocks over from my place.

I definately would give your dog a super treat. ^_^ I have a Bichon Frise, which translates into a tiny 14 pounds of fluff. She growls and barks at anyone who comes in the yard even if she can't see them. As long as the person doesn't see her, my dog sounds like she will chew you up and then spit you out. She even growls at me until she realizes it's me in the yard. LOL

I don't keep any weapons in the house, but I did get some training in how to use pretty much anything as a weapon. I bet if a burglar does break in he or she will be surprised by being attacked by a chair or whatever is closest.