OtakuBoards

Guild Wars

Drix D'Zanth

Intriguing. I was certain that a thread had been started about Guild Wars considering the OB population that has been playing. Well, I for one have had a wonderful time adventuring with my OB friends including Tony (Semjaza), James, Alex (Siren), and Annie ^_^.

Does anyone else here on Otakuboards play? Most recently, it has been a moderate grind for levels, I have had most of my playing time with Annie or Solo (as we are a bit behind James and Alex). However, earlier today I was able to play some story quests and managed to catch up with the beta veterans. The playing episode came to an eventful end as James, Tony, and myself finally settled on a Guild name. This is a big deal, obviously, one that James and Tony (in particular) had been planning ever since the beta (I?m assuming..).

The glorious, quirky, and obviously Japanese-inspired name of our guild?

?Quantum Kabuki Troupe?

This name is perfect, really. It uniquely displays the lighthearted nature for which we approach this game. You can probably spot us donning our recently created Guild Cape. I?ll post a screenshot eventually. Basically it?s a shapely cape with a magenta-light purple gradient (some may contest that it is pink) with a lovely silver hand emblem. The hand, comically whimsical, would remind most people of a Dreamcast logo with fingers.

Anyway, if anyone?s on GW and looking for a friend just send Drix Dzanth a whisper. Perhaps the elderly Elementalist/Mesmer might lend you a hand in a quest or two .

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=#550000][font=tahoma]Actually, Jordan, I have a great screenshot of our cape. Plus, a good shot of my character, Belial Hades.

But first, I'll tell you guys something. I'm not a gamer at all, Silpheed can tell you if you don't believe me. This is the first major game I've played (specifically on the PC), and I found/find Guild Wars to be smooth, but challenging. It's a wonderful game to start off on, and I have to thank Alex and Jeh-boss muchly for pushing me to checking it out.

So, without further adieu:

[img]http://img270.echo.cx/img270/2195/gwguild8au.jpg[/img]

That's our Guild Cape. Behold the insanity ^_^

[img]http://img270.echo.cx/img270/9076/gwchar0dd.jpg[/img]

That's my beloved Necromancer/Mesmer, Belial Hades.

For all you OB members who don't have this game, you must get it. Those of you who do have it, you can send me a whisper anytime.[/color][/font]

I hope that image is just super compressed... I'm not liking what happened with the cape design lol.

I've been having fun with the game, although I don't play as much as some of the members here do. I've not really had the time or interest in general.

Played a bit today, obviously, which was enjoyable. Later in the game you get to have 6 characters in a party, which should be cool in the future. Unfortunately, not all of us are at that point yet so it's not completely usable.

Here's a shot of Sennen, Annie and myself:

[CENTER][IMG]http://img239.echo.cx/img239/6274/group2ne.jpg[/IMG] [/CENTER]

[color=#550000][font=tahoma]Sen and his Barbie doll-looking Ranger.

Yeah, I don't play as much as that nerd does ( XD ), but it's fun when I do. Sometimes I have to go in the middle of a quest, but I love how the game automatically saves what you've done [quest wise and what you've picked up anyway] so you don't have to go all the way back to where you started. I love the targeting feature too.[/color][/font]

[color=#737373]Ouch, yeah, those compressed shots don't show the cape in a good light. It looks a lot better in-game, thankfully. Suitably quirky.

Anyway, now that the Guild is running most people have been invited. But I'm sure there are a few more to add as time goes on. It'd be cool if other OBers would post in this thread with their character names, so that we can join each other in-game.

Perhaps we should post a list of our character names and their jobs or something? It may help prospective Guild members choose something that fits in with us (for instance, we don't yet have a primary monk or a primary warrior).[/color]

In game my name is Leo the Red. I'm at Nolani Academy, so I don't know how far that places me in relation to you guys (I'm also on the europe region which makes it slightly harder).

I'm not in a guild at the moment. I'd like to join one if anyone will have me though.

[color=#737373]We are all in the American region, so you may have to change to that if you want to play with us regularly. We are all able to visit the International Districts though. So that should be fine.

Most of us have characters around where you are, so that should be okay as well.[/color]

I have great hopes for this game. Having read about it before it was even started, seeing the prelim art work, and following the story line. Though largest amongst those hopes is that I will get my friends back! Week after week I lose more to the WoW addiction, two last week. One came out tonight admitting he was addicted and asked that we cut off his account, we tried but he disabled our access, I can only assume he went back into the game world and I assume I will talk to him in a few days time.

Apart from that the other WoW addicts that are in my group of friends all said they would try this game when it came out of beta. So I am hoping in the conversion from WoW to GW that they notice reality and decide to stay! Or that GW doesn't have an addictive playing style so I can play a long with them with the knowledge that it wont put me behind on uni and work.

I knew many of the people on the first beta of GW and even then the graphics were stunning. I am kind of disappointed as the world could have been just that more detailed but as they have dropped the requirements back to people with 32meg graphics cards those using the latest grunt don't really get much. Though that might just be me.

I have liked the idea since I heard about it and I look forward to playing it with far more depth. Hopefully Linux support will be coming soon (I haven't looked at who intends to support it) and I will really be able to dig into the game play.

Speaking of game play - I was on for a few hours at my local internet cafe and it wasn't bad at all. I enjoyed it more than WoW which I have been avoiding due to work and a life to maintain. Though I have noted down some of the names from this thread, might whisper some of you. :)

Added note:
For Linux gamers we can look forward to Cedega (winex) supporting Guild Wars completely in the near future as it is "playable" out of the box to a major extent now. Though I'm not sure what the plans are time wise. [url]http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3370[/url]

[COLOR=#550000][font=tahoma]Yeah, I know. My laptop's card is really weak, so I had to lower (if not turn off) some features in the graphics. Maybe that took a toll on the screenshots? *shrug*

The more members, the better. Don't worry, none of the exsisting Guild members bite. We're an odd bunch, but we are friendly ^_^[/color][/font]

[quote name='ForgottenRaider']I knew many of the people on the first beta of GW and even then the graphics were stunning. I am kind of disappointed as the world could have been just that more detailed but as they have dropped the requirements back to people with 32meg graphics cards those using the latest grunt don't really get much. Though that might just be me. [/quote]

It does depend on the area, but the game looks pretty damn amazing in general. I have a Radeon 9600 and can run it at 1280x1024 with max settings flawlessly. I can't think of a comparable looking game that runs that well.

The areas, really, look very nice. There's a section of game where everything seems to look like a wasteland, but you get past that after a few missions. The game has a few weird textures now and then, but overall I have to say it's one of the better looking games I've played in terms of character models and areas... particularly for an online RPG. A lot of it has to do with the rounded art style, I imagine.

Anyway, I think the game looks really nice in this shot (it's huge, so keep that in mind):

[URL=http://img209.echo.cx/my.php?image=gw0694ro.jpg][IMG]http://img209.echo.cx/img209/9746/gw0694ro.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'm still several levels higher than all of you (except Alex), so stfu. ^_^

Anyway, I'm a level 13 Ranger/Mesmer named Natanya Harbringer (this is what happens when I don't take the time to do a good name). That's my only character, but my brother plays on my account, and he's always trying different classes. I'm willing to help out lower-level guild members level up, even if I don't get anything out of it. Lord knows I did that for about an hour and a half last night. At this point in the game I'm mostly in it for the social aspect.. And getting cool armor.

Long live the [url="http://otakusennen.250free.com/GuildWars-KabukiTroupe.jpg"][b]Quantum Kabuki Troupe.[/b][/url]

I am slightly worried as I was talking to a few people today who suggested that the game was very limited. For example they say it is basically a long grind from lvl 12 to lvl 20 and then just pvp untill you get bored or they add new content.

Though the screen shots look very nice and easily more detailed than WoW.

[color=#737373]I wouldn't describe it as a long grind or anything though...I mean, each mission is pretty good fun. And there's a great deal of variety to the places you'll visit.

It has some linear aspects, but it combines that with just the right amount of customization. I haven't even played PvP on the final release yet, because I've been spending so much time in the main game.[/color]

Alright Kids, a few updates:
-Mr. Esten and I had a lovely time a few days ago grinding several thousand points of experience in various quests. I think it?s worth mention as he and I cleared a spectacularly large army through cunning lure/crush strategy.
-Today Sen, Annie, and I went through some of the main quest. The lovely Belial Hades is now a respectable level 8 (congrats, by the way). Currently, she?s at the frontier gate. From what I can tell, most people are hung up on Yak?s bend (with the exception of myself and sen)

My character, Drix Dzanth, is on his way to level 15 at the moment. I managed to make it through a decent amount of the main quest and have reached Lion?s Arch, the principle capital of Kryta. The land of Kryta is absolutely breathtaking. Easily one of the most beautiful worlds produced in a game setting. Lion?s arch is an especially appealing town, skills, equipment, and a fair batch of missions to go around. Getting this far along the main quest also gave me an opportunity to explore the exciting future for Quantum Kabuki Troupe: A Guild Hall.

I?ve learned a few things about gaining a guild hall: You purchase the hall and your own personal island. The means to acquiring a hall are in the form of a Celestial Sigil. This can be acquired through changing the God?s favor in the hall of heroes; or cold, hard change. As few of the QKT seem to be taking the game extremely seriously? I would assume money is our best bet. The islands themselves vary in design and expensiveness, probably depending on popularity. I took some time and toured all of the available locales to see what would be a desirable home for QKT. An insider?s guide to guild islands will be coming soon? once I acquire some screenshots. However, at this point it?s the ?warrior isle? or ?druid?s isle? that get my pick. Now each of these locations are [i]extremely[/i] expensive. So that means we all need to save up our money! I?ve managed to save up about 5k of a whopping possible grand total of : 70-80k, depending on the island?

On another note, perhaps it would be nice to schedule a time where the guild could all meet and rush some of the members through the main quests? I?m always willing to help catch people up, and now that I?m at Lion?s Arch, I?m going to concentrate on helping out the guildmates.

Hope to see you all in game :animesmil .

[quote name='James][color=#737373']I wouldn't describe it as a long grind or anything though...[/color][/quote]

Yeah, particularly compared to pretty much any other online RPG on the market. It's not much of an issue. I broke it once with an older character of mine and it never felt like a big deal. Strangely I hear a lot of people complaining it levels up too fast. Some people are never satisifed, I suppose.

Looks like I'm furthest on the main quest at the mo. I've fought my way through to Druid's Overlook in the Crystal Desert, and at level 13 seem to be among the weakest, so I'm heading back to Lion's Arch, especially since I need a signet of capture to pick up some lovely elite skills.

Woo, finally. After a month of waiting for more copies of Guild Wars to come in so I could actually play the darn game, I'm in! It was a painful wait, I'll admit. After sampling the game at the E3 alpha event last year and once or twice in the beta, I've been wanting to get my hands on the full thing for [i]ages[/i].

Anyway, I'm playing as 'Seth Orion', Warrior/Monk. Just got past the Searing so I'm just at the start of Old Ascalon, but I'll do my best to try and catch up. See you all in there!

First, welcome to the game Warlock! I can't wait to see you all joining the fellow QKT in saving Humanity from extinction.

[b]Guild Islands, Island One...[/b]
(please click on hyperlinks to see my medium-resolution screenshots)

The Warrior?s Isle is probably my first pick for the Kabuki Troupe?s guildhall. Thematically, the Asian-inspired architecture seems most appropriate, or Kabuki-fitting. The island is gorgeous. Set in a jungle, the soft burnt orange walls contrast the large sun frozen descending in mid-afternoon.
[url]http://img298.echo.cx/img298/4709/gw0098yo.jpg[/url]
Upon arriving at Warrior?s Isle, I was greeted by the welcome possibility of our future guildhall (?). The initial fortress is somewhat empty, but well constructed, and the center building is quite impressive.
[url]http://img298.echo.cx/img298/2570/gw0105ls.jpg[/url]
Just outside the protective walls and iron-lattice gateway are the pathways deep into the town. Bamboo and jungle foliage crowds the dirt roads leading into a town. The town, filled with several appropriately-oriental buildings surround a large empty post, obviously designed to hold the Guild Banner.
[url]http://img298.echo.cx/img298/3833/gw0128zk.jpg[/url]
I noted with interest that there are also several catapults (unusable, however) in place around the island, giving our beautiful getaway a more destructive appeal.
Finally, the road leads all the way down to the dockyard where a large galley is anchored, waiting to take us to the adventure waiting back in more tumultuous regions of Tyria
[url]http://img229.echo.cx/img229/4171/gw0123rv.jpg[/url]

[color=#737373]Ah yes, I've seen this Guild Hall before. This is the one we played in during the beta (it was the only one available at the time, for all beta players).

How many types of Guild Halls are there in total?[/color]

[color=#4B0082]My brother bought Guild Wars yesterday, so it looks like I'm going to be able to at least try it out by making a character on his account. Sucks that I won't be able to join the Quantum Kabuki Troupe without buying my own copy of the game, though. Right now I'm debating whether it would be worth it, or if I'll be cheap and just leech a character off my brother.

So, a couple questions: Would I still be able to join up with you guys for quests and whatnot with my character in a different guild? And would I be missing out on many benefits by being in a different guild?[/color]

[color=#737373]I think it's possible for you to be in a different Guild, I mean...you can still join us for quests and so forth. But you wouldn't be able to join us for PvP. Once we've all completed the main game, I imagine that PvP will be the next big thing we'll tackle together. So being in the same Guild allows us to do that as a big team.

Other than that, I can't think of any other issues...except that eventually we may have a site for our Guild, which would obviously bring all the team members together into one location. Not that a site is important, it's just a side addition really, if it ever happens. Mostly it's the PvP stuff that would be the issue.[/color]

Hey guys. I have a file on Sen's account, but I only get to play it when I go to his house... Which is almost every day. XD It sucks though... I want to get the game, but I have Dial-up. My parents are going to get DSL soon, but until then, I have to settle for playing on Senny's account.

My name is Kim Dealie in GW. If anyone cares, I stole the "Pixies" bassist's name. Yeah, I know, sneaky ninja. Give me a whisper if any of you ever catch me online.

Just wondering though... If I were to get GW now, would it even function on Dial-up? I can't wait much longer, so if there is some chance of it working on Dial-up, please tell me.

[color=#737373]Yeah, I believe Guild Wars works reasonably well on dial-up. The major issue would be loading new areas, I'd think (as opposed to lag during battles and whatnot).

Just be aware though...if you have multiple people on one account, they will all be part of the same Guild and everything. It might get a bit confusing. I should gather some sort of list or something, where people can put down the names of their characters so that we will always know who is who.[/color]