OtakuBoards

Series jokes (from Tingle to Biggs and Wedge)

2010DigitalBoy

Does anybody else notice that there are always weird reccuring themes in some series? For instance, everybody knows that Final Fantasy is known for moogles, chocobos and the spell suffixes -ara and -aga. But if you look more closely you see another thread. Biggs and Wedge. Now, Ive never played 3 or 4 and 'i havent seen them in 5 but from 6 and on, their there.

FF6: At the beginning you travel with Biggs and Wedge in the mechs.

FF7: The members of Avalanche are: Barret, Cloud, Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge.

FF8: The cops that keep coming back.

I think you get the point. And lets not forget Cid.

FF7: Joins your party, an airship pilot.

FF10: Rikku's dad, an airship pilot.

So, what other hardly noticable samenesses are there in games? And Tingle doesn't count!

Cid is in every Final Fantasy game, that's a known trend.

FF6: An engineer working for the empire.
FF7: Airship pilot that joins your party.
FF8: The head of Balamb Garden.
FF9: An airship engineer.
FFX: Rikku's dad.
Final Fantasy Tactics: Very powerful party member.

I know that he was in the others, but those are the only ones that I remember well.

The main characters in the Lunar games both have little flying cats that are actually dragons. Nall > Ruby

Blood Seeker's right about the Cid thing, he has made a cameo appearance in every Final Fantasy at some point. I mean, he's generally nothing huge, (though he was my favourite character in FFVII).

However, these things are called cameos that offer an experienced gamer some little nostalgia throughout the story. I love nostalgia, as long as its a fond memory to look back on.

But I think [i]alot[/i] of games have these in one way or another, though they tend to be much more subtle. So subtle that they can be barely noticable. I know you're specifying characters of RPGs, but many other games show references to each other despite not being a continuation of the story.

These can indicate one thing. The games companies like to give those experienced with their products a little something to laugh at/remember exclusively that other people wouldn't. [b]Or[/b], they're just recycling stuff because they suffer from writer's block, and thus they forget what originality means.

^_~

Actually, Cid is normally your link to the airship in the game. Never played 6 but I'm guessing he builds it, in 7 duh he's the pilot, in 8 its through him (in the story line) that you get the airship, in 9 he's the AIRSHIP engineer, in 10 he shows up with the airship (or something like that, I don't remember).

Except that in FFVIII Cid is actually [spoiler]the headmaster of Balamb Garden, which at one point converts into a sort-of low-flying airship[/spoiler].

But Cid is not associated to airships in every FF, though he is that in most of them:

In the very first FF (I don't know about the original, but at least in the GBA-version) Cid was mentioned to be an ancient Lufenian who created the airship technology.

In the second FF Cid is an airship pilot, like he is in the third as well.

In FF IV he is a playable character, an engineer.

In FF V he is some sort of scientist, but I'm not entirely sure if he had anything to do with airships, since I've not played the game.

[B]But[/B] in FF VI, Cid is [spoiler]an imperial scientist who invented Magitech[/spoiler], and he has has nothing to do with any airship [spoiler]- that job is left for Setzer the Gambler[/spoiler].

Bleh, did I make a point or what? :p ...not.

[COLOR=#7C0201][SIZE=1]...Plus the Cid in the animated FF series who names his inventions after girls.

I say they add those things just to give the series a sense of continuity. 7, 8 and 9, for example, happen on different worlds but are linked to one another through these things. BTW, are summon monsters counted? How about jobs?

Alright! Let's name them FF monk-type characters, shall we?:
FF6: Sabin
FF7: Tifa
FF8: Zell
FF9: Amaranth
FFX: Rikku...right?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Delta][COLOR=#7C0201][SIZE=1]...Plus the Cid in the animated FF series who names his inventions after girls.

I say they add those things just to give the series a sense of continuity. 7, 8 and 9, for example, happen on different worlds but are linked to one another through these things. BTW, are summon monsters counted? How about jobs?

Alright! Let's name them FF monk-type characters, shall we?:
FF6: Sabin
FF7: Tifa
FF8: Zell
FF9: Amaranth
FFX: Rikku...right?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Hmm, I don't think these could be classified as a series' 'jokes' to be honest. They're just characters that reflect on the form of the battle system that had been well established into the series.

People like Biggs or Wedge, who never really played a significant role in the story and who make an appearance do somehow, seeing as they're just instantly recognisable and portrayed in a humourous way.

P.s: I'd say Rikku's more of a Thief class, rather than a Monk. ;)

Biggs and wedge are also in ffx and x-2. in X, you can sign them as blitzball players (they can be found guarding luka stadium) in ffx-2, if you choose to do the blitzball hotspot event, they start out in your team.

I'm not sure if this counts as a series joke or not, but has anyone else noticed how the ff7 shinra army uniforms and the ff8 galbadia army uniforms look almost exactly the same?

[SIZE=1]Well, first of all, I don't believe any of these (besides the Cid trend) were actually intended. Sometimes it seems as though they have similar types of characters each game, but truth is theres only so many they can do. And they do try to vary things up a bit, for example, the lead character personalities. Cloud and Zidane are completely different, yet both play a key role in each FF game. Things do vary, and although there is some similarities, each character has a uniqueness to it.

Second, you can't name three games and call it an FF trend lol. There is 1-11 including X-2 and soon to be XII. So you can't say "well, 7, 8, and 9 have some simlar characters...I BET THEY ALL DO." It doesn't work that way. There is very few things that actually occur in each and every FF game. Sure, there is some similarities, but as far as "trends" go, I think it'd be pretty hard to find real ones. Unless you've studied each game, which I don't believe we have :animesmil [/SIZE]

I like how this has turned into another Final Fantasy thread. Yeah, man!

Anyway, there's a nice recurring theme in the Tomb Raider series: From III on, they all suck. It's a rather nice joke played on those who bought the games. :)

[QUOTE=Kamuro][SIZE=1]Well, first of all, I don't believe any of these (besides the Cid trend) were actually intended. Sometimes it seems as though they have similar types of characters each game, but truth is theres only so many they can do. And they do try to vary things up a bit, for example, the lead character personalities. Cloud and Zidane are completely different, yet both play a key role in each FF game. Things do vary, and although there is some similarities, each character has a uniqueness to it.

Second, you can't name three games and call it an FF trend lol. There is 1-11 including X-2 and soon to be XII. So you can't say "well, 7, 8, and 9 have some simlar characters...I BET THEY ALL DO." It doesn't work that way. There is very few things that actually occur in each and every FF game. Sure, there is some similarities, but as far as "trends" go, I think it'd be pretty hard to find real ones. Unless you've studied each game, which I don't believe we have :animesmil [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Um... in case you haven't noticed, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 10-2 ALL have them. *****. Anyway NO MORE FINAL FANTASY! Come up with another one!

just as a recap: Cid

FF1: invented airship technology
FF2: Owns an airship you can fly in
FF3: Owns an airship
FF4: Playable charachter
FF5: Scientist
FF6: [spoiler]invented magitech[/spoiler]
FF7: Pilot
FF8: Headmaster in Balamb Garden
FF9: Airship engineer
FF10/10-2: Rikku's dad
FFtactics: teammate

Biggs and Wedge:

FF6: Soldiers
FF7: Avalanche members
FF8: Soldiers
FF9:-
FF10: Blitzball
FF10-2: Blitzball

Please, no more FF unless you know about the other Biggs' and Wedges

I haven't played even a one Zelda-game ever in my life (I've only seen this crappy cartoon video), but I find it very amusing that Link has to save the goddamn same princess in every single game (or at least I've been given that impression).

How can one single princess be so utterly brainless that she lets herself be kidnapped over and over again?! I can understand that happening once, since it's one of the duties of being a princess to get kidnapped once in a lifetime - how else could one find an eligible bachelor prince to live happily ever after with?

But, this is one thing I consider to be a big joke in a series. ;)

BTW, Shinmaru, you just killed me with that Tomb Raider joke! :p

Guest leon hardt sama
[QUOTE=Bloodseeker]Cid is in every Final Fantasy game, that's a known trend.

FF6: An engineer working for the empire.
FF7: Airship pilot that joins your party.
FF8: The head of Balamb Garden.
FF9: An airship engineer.
FFX: Rikku's dad.
Final Fantasy Tactics: Very powerful party member.

I know that he was in the others, but those are the only ones that I remember well.

The main characters in the Lunar games both have little flying cats that are actually dragons. Nall > Ruby[/QUOTE]

He was in ff cc for gamecube as the black night his name is sol sid

[QUOTE=Sage]I haven't played even a one Zelda-game ever in my life (I've only seen this crappy cartoon video), but I find it very amusing that Link has to save the goddamn same princess in every single game (or at least I've been given that impression).

How can one single princess be so utterly brainless that she lets herself be kidnapped over and over again?! I can understand that happening once, since it's one of the duties of being a princess to get kidnapped once in a lifetime - how else could one find an eligible bachelor prince to live happily ever after with?

But, this is one thing I consider to be a big joke in a series. ;)

BTW, Shinmaru, you just killed me with that Tomb Raider joke! :p[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Actually, it's almost always a different princess Zelda for each game. I won't get into the whole series timeline, but the Zelda games span quite a lot of Hyrule's (and other lands') history.

The Mario games are a much better candidate for the "chronic princess kidnapping" thing.

Also, Cid is in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, too. He's the judgemaster in Ivalice.[/color]

Desbreko's right. each game fetures a diferent Link and Zelda (well, except for [i]Majora's Mask[/i], which has the same Link as [i]Ocarena of Time[/i]).

Anyways, back on topic. I've noticed that Namco keeps sticking Pac-Man into its games. For example, in [i]Tales of Symphnia[/i] there's a statue of Pac-Man in Flanoir. He also pops up in [i]Baten Kaitos[/i] in the form of the Pac-Man Magnus. I haven't played any other recent Namco titles (well, except for [i]Star Fox: Assault[/i], and I did't see pac-Man in that game), so I don't know if he shows up in any of them, but it wouldn't surprise me.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Hey now, you can't forget the MGS series. That series always happens to use reoccuring themes for their jokes. Comical codec conversations, weird easter eggs involving nudity (Handled in a good way, mind you :P), and very...very funny past references to other games made by Konami. And a bunch of other ones that can't really be classified.

But for example, Z.O.E. posters could be found all over in MGS 2, and Z.O.E. 2 posters are in abundance in MGS 3. As well as even including a full size Jehuty model in one of the cutscenes. I'm not telling you which one, go find out yourself. ;)

Also, the cardboard box. Need I say more?

Gotta mention the pushing-the-limit swimsuit posters in every game too. And the camera hijinks, such as ghosts or acts of pervertedness. Finally, you can't deny the fact that EVERY Metal Gear has at least *one* cutscene where lots o' blood is spilled!

But lets stray away from MGS for a moment, if anyone here has played UT, I could list over 100 easter eggs that have always been in the series. [/COLOR]

OK, let's go old school.

I know people have played Leisure Suit Larry, at least the old ones. I found it funny how when you die you go back to the "Sierra lab" and you can see other Sierra characters in the background. Who thought Mother Goose would be in _that_ game? ^^

-ArV

ok a recurring thing in the sonic games has allways been good 'ol egghead Ivo Kintobor (AKA robotnik - i refuse to acknowledge him as eggman) i mean, he's allways using the same sorta machenes in every game.

i swear to cut the budget they use the same sprites or something stupid like that.

[QUOTE=ThatOneOddDude]Um... in case you haven't noticed, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 10-2 ALL have them. *****. Anyway NO MORE FINAL FANTASY! Come up with another one!

just as a recap: Cid

FF1: invented airship technology
FF2: Owns an airship you can fly in
FF3: Owns an airship
FF4: Playable charachter
FF5: Scientist
FF6: [spoiler]invented magitech[/spoiler]
FF7: Pilot
FF8: Headmaster in Balamb Garden
FF9: Airship engineer
FF10/10-2: Rikku's dad
FFtactics: teammate[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]well, if you actually read my post I supported the Cid "trend," so you wasted a lot of your time doing a recap, oh well. Secondly, is 6 through X-2 all the Final Fantasy games? No, its not, so its not a trend between [I]all[/I] the games, which is what I said. *****.

So, more trends. A pretty obvious one is the 108 Stars of Destiny throughout the Suikoden series. I'm pretty sure every game has them and if not they still have the 108 characters, its just called something else.[/SIZE]

The Stars of Destiny in the Suikoden series are a major feature in it, To remove the stars of destiny would mess up the entire series. Same as if you removed the army battles or the duels (Suikoden 4 took the honour of taking away the Duels) It just wouldn't be the same.

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=-3]Well if you want to count GTA, there are several to note. For one, the series has always had competition from the Driver series(Not actual competition though, as they all kinda...well sucked). All three GTA games after GTA:II have included a jab or two at Reflections and Driver. Smacking other games seem to be a trend, as they also made a reference to True Crime: Streets of LA in San Andreas. There is also the "Shoot the moon with a Sniper Rifle to make it larger or smaller" easter egg that has been in the last three GTA games.

Can't forget the numerous cameo appearances from GTA:III in Vice City, and later both GTA:III and Vice City in San Andreas. Personally, my favorite reference is when Ken Rosenberg is with you in the Mafia meat factory, get scared and yells "Tommy! Save me!" to which CJ replies "Who the f**k is Tommy?!"

Ah...classic.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=darkred]I'm not sure if this would count as a comical factor to the Tekken series, but Kuma the bear has appeared in every single Tekken game (besides Tekken Advance), with the new variation of Panda appearing from Tekken 3 onwards. As I said, I'm not sure if it would be a thing to laugh at, because the character isn't all that useless, but then again the only time I've ever come across someone using either Kuma or Panda is when they're playing for kicks.

Whilst on the subject of Tekken, from Tekken 3 onwards, a stupid mimic character has appeared in each new Tekken game, with Mokujin in Tekken 3, Mokujin, Tetsujin, and Unknown in Tekken Tag, Combot in Tekken 4, and Mokujin yet again in Tekken 5. To be honest, I find these characters annoying, particularly when your opponent plays as either of the mimic characters, because it downright takes the piss.

All in all, though, it's in good spirits. I mean, which other fighting game offers you the chance to play as a kangaroo, a raptor, or a... Gon with boxing gloves, eh?[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][QUOTE=Lord Dante]ok a recurring thing in the sonic games has allways been good 'ol egghead Ivo Kintobor (AKA robotnik - i refuse to acknowledge him as eggman) i mean, he's allways using the same sorta machenes in every game.

i swear to cut the budget they use the same sprites or something stupid like that.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, just like how in the Mario games Goombas are there [b]every time[/b]! I mean, geez! Koopas are there every time too!! It's insane, [i]soooo[/i] lazy, honestly.

Seriously though, what did you expect? Robotnik was Sonic's nemesis, of course he'd be in every game (bar a few, but you get that). It's like Dr Cortex in Crash bandicoot or whatever.

Oh, and Biggs and Wedge [i]were[/i] in Final Fantasy IX. They were performers with Tantalus.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]