OtakuBoards

Thread quality downhill

SilentSecurity

Is thread and reply quality going downhill? I'm seeing a lot more closed threads due to bad grammar and poor topics than anything else these days. Is it due to the lack of subjects not written about that we have to come up with stuff that will be banned for lack of substance. Or is the reason the horrible slang we're using now?

~Wes~

[font=franklin gothic medium]Are you talking about OtakuBoards or forums in general? If you are talking about OtakuBoards specifically, you may want to check out the ten thousand other threads related to thread quality discussion. ~_^[/font]

[color=#4B0082]I don't know as much about other areas of the board, since I don't really follow them as much, but I wouldn't say post quality is declining in the Hardwired section, at least. If anything, I'd say it's actually improving, and has been for a long time. Yeah, there's still spammy posts; but I've noticed that out of the number of people who actually keep coming back and don't just leave after a few posts, most of those are at least decently high quality posters.

And as much as I like to rag on Otaku Lounge (because Play It is obviously superior, you know ;)), I'm pretty much always able to find a decently intelligent discussion in the forum that's at least somewhat interesting to read whenever I get bored. Which is something I couldn't really say for a good part of OB's history. So people must be doing something right if the forum is starting to live up to my inflated standards for reading material. :animesmil[/color]

Hey, I'm a new member, not new to forums at all and from what I've seen by looking around on the OB it's a pretty tidy place. There's just nOObs who feel like they're in such a hurry so they need to type everything using "u"s instead "you"s and other stuff like that.

I've found the OB to be a comfortable place to hang out, a discuss various material. The moderators are very good at cleaning it up but you guys get new members every day and you can't control, and for some reason they believe that with a 10000+ member community they can spam. >.>

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']Are you talking about OtakuBoards or forums in general? If you are talking about OtakuBoards specifically, you may want to check out the ten thousand other threads related to thread quality discussion. ~_^[/font][/quote]

[SIZE=1]As James said, theres been plenty of threads concerning post quality. We can all come to our own conclusion on the matter. For some reason the little lock symbol seems to attract people's eyes away from the 9687586 posts without it lol. The boards are even more attractive now cause of James' new skin ;) , and theres new people all over. It's only natural to have posts of ill-nature or lacking of substance, but once they find their "groove" around the forum everything works out fine and we're better off for it.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']I don't know as much about other areas of the board, since I don't really follow them as much, but I wouldn't say post quality is declining in the Hardwired section, at least. If anything, I'd say it's actually improving, and has been for a long time. Yeah, there's still spammy posts; but I've noticed that out of the number of people who actually keep coming back and don't just leave after a few posts, most of those are at least decently high quality posters.[/color][/quote][SIZE=1]Desbreko is right. Most of the people who post bad-quality threads usually only post a few times and dissapear, the ones that stay usually begin to learn the rules and produce decent quality posts. Plus we always have the moderators to whip them into shape *evil grin* But seriously, I think OB is far from having bad posts. Even though people say the Otaku Lounge is spammy, I find it amusing and if you think this is spammy try visiting a forum like MT ([url]www.minitokyo.net[/url]) and you'll see the difference. There is actually a forum for such spam. That is why I don't think we have anything to worry about. Unless Quantity becomes more important then Quality. Then we might have a problem. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I recall the last time this topic came up on Otaku[B]boards[/B], or was it someone's MyOtaku ? Never mind it doesn't really matter, I remember posting that I thought that there has been a decline in the overall quality of the boards, or at least the sections of the boards I visit as I stay the heck away from the Anime forums. However since then my opinion has done a one-eighty and I think that the quality as a whole on the boards have improved steadily, and have always been improving (nostalgia may have cause me to believe otherwise last time) for as long as I've been here.

Generally people who are new to boards aren't very sure of themselves and as a result their posts can be somewhat spammy, however given enough time and encouragement they get more comfortable here and their post quality improves in leaps and bounds. As with any boards you will get the odd few people who post like n00bs and will continue to do so because it suits them, however as Des has said they usually either get bored and go of their own accord or are banned by our excellent Moderators. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Kamuro][SIZE=1']As James said, there?s been plenty of threads concerning post quality. We can all come to our own conclusion on the matter. For some reason the little lock symbol seems to attract people's eyes away from the 9687586 posts without it lol. The boards are even more attractive now cause of James' new skin ;) , and there?s new people all over. It's only natural to have posts of ill-nature or lacking of substance, but once they find their "groove" around the forum everything works out fine and we're better off for it.[/SIZE][/quote]

[SIZE=1]My thought exactly Kamuro, it seems that that little lock causes so much interest in the thread, perhaps it should be changed to a rather bland icon and people won't take any notice.[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]If we'd had that suicide thread two years ago (and probably even more recently), it could easily have become some big flaming situation or whatever. But look at it. There are strong disagreements, but the whole thing is pretty darn civil and pretty well thought out. Even the newer members are posting with considerable length and patience.

Surely that can only be regarded as a positive thing.

The same can be said for various music threads we have here and so on. People still disagree strongly and there are still varying views, but generally speaking, everyone is pretty in-depth and pretty good with their manner toward others.

So no, I am not concerned about any reduction in quality. Quality goes up and down by the day, but it's generally always on the incline - there's plenty of evidence of that site-wide.[/font]

Ob 1s t3h sux!1111 S4m3 thr3ads all the t1m3 4nd stuff.

O.o.

When you've been here as long as I have, anything in OL just seems like a thread you've seen a million times already. . .it gets old. I barely even come to OL anymore. I only go to the Guild Wars thread. Yes, I am a loser.

If you look at every forum that makes up OB, you'll see there isn't a post quality problem. Mods do their jobs so the ungrammatical are banned and the insipid flame warriors are cremated into pretty ashes I smush my foot under.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Over the years I've been here I believe thread quality hasn't changed much at all, and if so then it has only improved. I don't do much browsing outside of the Louge and Art Studio but from my knowledge on how well the moderators do their jobs I'd have to believe that thread quality hasn't declined. The threads which are created and soon become closed does not equal to the amount of threads which flurish into a "intelligent discussion" as Desbreko put it.

For me to go on with my thoughts would be to restate what everyone here has already written out, so I'll just conclude my post with this...

[COLOR=Black]
[SIZE=1][quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1']Generally people who are new to boards aren't very sure of themselves and as a result their posts can be somewhat spammy, however given enough time and encouragement they get more comfortable here and their post quality improves in leaps and bounds. As with any boards you will get the odd few people who post like n00bs and will continue to do so because it suits them, however as Des has said they usually either get bored and go of their own accord or are banned by our excellent Moderators.[/SIZE][/quote] [/SIZE][/COLOR]

and I couldn't agree more with Gavin on this one. You have taken what I was going to write and written it for me xP.[/COLOR]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I haven't been here as long as some of you have but from what I've been seeing, there really isn't a decline in post quality. There are the threads that get closed for lack of content or various other reasons but they are far outnumbered by the many good threads that can be found all over OtakuBoards.[/color][/font]

There honestly are a lot more list type threads going on here than I'm used to. Not all of them have been closed yet, but some have. I think it's mostly a matter of the fact that most of the mods live in the US and it's Summer here. They're simply not on as much. Things get taken care of eventually it seems.

[COLOR=FireBrick][SIZE=1][quote name='Pumpkin][SIZE=1]Even though people say the Otaku Lounge is spammy, I find it amusing and if you think this is spammy try visiting a forum like MT ([url]www.minitokyo.net[/url']) and you'll see the difference.[/SIZE][/quote]Hur hur hur! You got that right! It's probably 'cause the handful of mods over there have to maintain an extensive image gallery [i]and[/i] check up on the hundred threads that pop-up everywhere. Just thinking about their load makes me nauseous.

[INDENT][b]S = k * M[/b]
[INDENT]where [b]S[/b] is the number of spam;
[b]M[/b] is the population of OB; and
[b]k[/b] is a proportionality constant,
comparable to the n00b/New Member
ratio[/INDENT][/INDENT]

As of now, M is some 700 units from 18,000. Comparing that to the 11,000+ figure half a year ago and considering that OB has been around for quite some time, I'd say that M is exponentially increasing. This would probably explain the "apparent" increase in the number of threads that are being locked as of late (given that k is a constant, of course).

It may seem like OB's getting spammed but really, I think OB has more or less the same percentage of spam at any time.

And yeah, that's just a guess.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[font=Arial Narrow][size=2]I think it can be divided up, really. On the one hand, I've been getting a lot more posters with a low level of quality recently -- but then, that's what I'm here to fix, right? On the other, however, the threads are going up in quality -- I'm finding it easier and easier to post everywhere, because almost all forums have something that interest me in it. For a while OL didn't seem to have anything interesting at all, but now it's gone the opposite way.

So while we do seem to get more lower quality posters than I remember, that's only to be expected for a community that is growing like Otakuboards. As more new members come in, it has to be expected that not all of them are stellar posters. And, well, either they adjust or...they don't adjust, lol.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with OB at the moment. The occasional member makes my eyes pop, but I think on the whole OB is just going up.
[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I must say, using an equation to explain your views on the subject was very original ^_^ And I tend to agree with what you're saying. We're getting more locked topics because we're getting more bad ones. And that's really a result of just getting a lot more members.[/color][/font]