OtakuBoards

How do you pronounce your username?

DBZgirl88

My username is fairly simple to pronounce.
MangaFan007

Manga Fan (as a word) zero zero seven.

It is actually a pun to a very famous character. Let us see if somebody gets it. Here is a clue:
[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/mangafan007/mf007.jpg[/IMG]
Cheers!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f']Hmm, I 've been thinking the whole time that it was "Gay-vin".[/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1]I had actually considered putting that down with the other two as a way my name has been mispronounced before, though in reality I've only had my name pronounced as "Gay-vin" when my brother wants to irritate me. I could see how it might be mispronounced as "Gay-in" given they way the letters G and A put together can be pronounced like "Gay", but in this case the A is pronounced "Ah thus "Gahvin" would be the proper pronunciation. [/SIZE]

[size=1][quote name='Sandy']Isn't this thread a tad controversial? I mean, people here are giving advice on how to pronounce their usernames, when in fact nobody will probably ever say them aloud - not even the carrier of the name. :P[/quote]
Err, yeah, but you still say it in your head, right? You go, "Oh, there is a post by Dagger" or whoever it may be. And you 'say' it inside your head, lol.[/size]

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]I'm guessing there aren't too many people out there with their name spelled like mine.
Derald is my actual name. It is pronounced deh-rald with the 'a' souding more like an 'ah' sound, but it comes very close to 'o'.

I have no idea where my first name's country of origin is, so could someone please help me out there?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[size=1][color=#7D8593]Oh my. All this time, I must have been pronouncing people's usernames incorrectly then or by my own mistake. Gomen ^_^;;;. I suppose that's just my FOBish accent that butchers the pronunciations, though I do speak English quite well and have lived in the US since I was born, which is actually the strange part. What a strange realization.

Anyways, I'm sure that throughout my series of usernames, people have butchered my usernames as well. For example, [B]Arika[/i] was probably the second name I chose. At first I didn't realize that this name that I chose was Akira with the k and r switched until quite some time after. But, to make things easier, the A is, I believe, the long A sound and Rika is quite simple. So place it together and you have "Uh-Ree-kah." I suppose that sounds a bit confusing but whatever you had in mind for that pronunciation does not matter.

The next was, I think, [B]Neuvoxetere[/B]. This username was probably one of the stranger pronounced usernames and I think several people have told me that they didn't know how to spell it, didn't know how to say it, or both. It was mostly both but today, I shall make your life easier and tell you how [i]I[/i] pronounced it and I took Neuvox from Neuvoxraiha or it was more given to me by her. [B]Neuvox[/B] is French for Brand-new, in this case just New, and [B]etere[/B] is Latin for Eternal, so if you combine the two terms, you result with [B]Neuvoxetere[/B]- [B]New Eternity[/B].

Yeah, that just took up space but how to pronounce it. If you know French, the X in Neuvox is silent, which means that you're left with Neuvo and the Latin term Etere is a bit iffy for me in pronunciation since I'm not taking any Latin classes. So then, it would look like or sound like "Noo-VO (as in VOcabulary)-eh-te (TE from TEst)-reh". OK, so I just butchered it too and I'm sure I wasn't much help to you anyways.

So then, the final username, Revelation is quite the simple one for it comes from the Biblical book, Revelation. Simple, right? Let's hope so.[/size][/color]

[QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1]
Err, yeah, but you still say it in your head, right? You go, "Oh, there is a post by Dagger" or whoever it may be. And you 'say' it inside your head, lol.[/size][/QUOTE]

Actually, no. In my mind I [i]think[/i] "Now Baron Samedi has quoted me", but I really don't hear the though (because its just a thought).

Gotta admit that I sometimes cling onto some of the names and wonder how they're spelled, but I just meant that it really doesn't matter if one pronounces them wrong, because very few people ever hear their screenname said to them (unless it's a real name, like mine).

But my blabbering is pretty trivial, so never you mind, heh... ;D

not everyone knows this but the way my username came about was from my best friend using the fist letter from my first name and the first three of my last name. My real name is Shae'le'ne Brenmer and so they just wanted to shorten the name also they can't pronounce it. Ha :catgirl:

[size=1]My name is rather straightforward.

Go look in a dictionary, and you'll see it. By the way, you pronounce it the AMERICAN way, not the British way. Silly Brits. But what do I know? I'm only a Yank... Heh.

But in case you're wondering, you pronounce "Retri" like "Rhet-tree" only ... well ... yeah. The 'I' makes an 'e' sound. "Trib" is pronounced exactly how it looks. Not Tribe, but Trib. And for the record, I prefer Retri to Trib.

I was thinking about changing my name again a month or so ago, but the itch subsided, and Retri's here to stay.[/size]

[Color=DarkBlue]I think some people are just being picky with their name...

But yeah, how the heck do you pronouce ^.^?

Without a ^_^.

And also not >.<

Of course, ^.^;; doesn't work either.

It's just, ^.^.

If anyone can make sense of that, call me. I'll be crying over my broken brain.[/color]

[COLOR=#503F86]My name's pretty simple, really. The 'Solo' bit is pronounced in exactly the way you would if you were addressing Han Solo (and if you actually [i]are[/i] addressing Han Solo, please give him my regards o_O; ), and the 'Tremaine' is 'Tre-', with the 'e' sound cut short, like at the beginning of 'escape'. It's not 'Tree'. And the -'maine' is just like the city, I think.

Speaking of pronunciations, when René was called CrH way back when, I remember writing an itty joke in my OB fanfic:

[QUOTE][color=#503f86]Elsewhere, Radaghast held a controller out to his companion, who was wearing the appearance of Vampire Hunter D. "CRH, would you-"

"It?s CrH." He replied, taking the controller.

Radaghast looked confused. "That?s? what I said."

"No, you said CRH." CrH smiled. "It?s pronounced C[i]r[/i]H. There?s a difference."

"Does it matter?" Radaghast shrugged, pressing the ?Start? button.

"Not really." CrH counter-shrugged. "But it is my name."

Dagger IX1 had been listening in, surprised that someone could actually pronounce ?CrH? in the first place when...[/color][/QUOTE][/self-plugging]
I always wonder about how you pronounce usernames, and it can be quite a shock when you realise it's actually not what you expected it to be. I still have to convince myself that Sara's not pronounced 'Sah-ra' but 'Sair-ah'. If that makes sense...[/COLOR]

My name is fairly simple to pronounce. It's Me-(as in me, a name I call myself*sound of music reference*), Nah-, and Koh.

[B]Me-Nah-Koh.[/B]

How my name came to me, was that this was the name of one of my former characters, and I liked it, so I use it often as a username, and a penname. I also use Minako06, and a rare, dark-raven06.

[SIZE=1][color=RoyalBlue]Saiyan "Say-n" PrincessX, simple enough. When I tell people my e-mail in real life they never say it right. Everyone pronounces it "[i]Cyan[/i]PrincessX", which gets on my nerves, but its understandable.

They're are alot of names here I would constantly get wrong. Transtic Nerve was one. I don't think he posts much anymore. But I used to have trouble with his name.

Also, [b]Otaku[/b]Boards. I used to say Otaku wrong for the longest time, untill a few years back. I would say "O-teh-koo" instead of "O-taa-koo".[/color][/SIZE]

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. I have thought about what the proper way to say member names and now I know. ^_^

Chabs you can add me into the camp that was saying your name wrong. I thought it was "cha-bee-choo". Gomen! I also thought that MangaFan007 was pronounced "Manga Fan Double Oh Seven" as opposed to "Zero Zero Seven". As for ^.^ and other members who use emoticons for names I have always wondered what you say to someone who wants to know what your member name is...do you say I am the member who uses (insert name of emoticon here)? Or do you list the individual symbols used to make up the member name? This thread has definately been a fun one to read.

My name of course is Panda after Giant Pandas. Not as in the Japanese pun of "Pan da" meaning "It's Bread". I am not bread, but if I were I think I would be sourdough since I am pretty much round in shape.

[quote name='Solo Tremaine][COLOR=#503F86']I always wonder about how you pronounce usernames, and it can be quite a shock when you realise it's actually not what you expected it to be. I still have to convince myself that Sara's not pronounced 'Sah-ra' but 'Sair-ah'. If that makes sense...[/COLOR][/quote]Sah-ra is fine. ^_^

You know, I see [b]neuvox[/b] in quite a few usernames these days. Not necessarily folks from OB, but from around school as well. I always pronounce it nu-[b]aiv[/b]-oh [i]eks[/i]. Like in Spanish. With an "x" at the end. Yes....

Okay, I feel silly now. :)

[size=1][spoiler]I still like my way better[/spoiler][/size]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine][COLOR=#503F86']I still have to convince myself that Sara's not pronounced 'Sah-ra' but 'Sair-ah'. If that makes sense...[/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1]I always thought it would be pronounced "Sah-ra" properly too, damn I'm getting a lot of people's names wrong, though in many of the cases it's probably down to the fact that I learned to spell phonetically growing up.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=#004A6F][quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1']I always thought it would be pronounced "Sah-ra" properly too, damn I'm getting a lot of people's names wrong, though in many of the cases it's probably down to the fact that I learned to spell phonetically growing up.[/SIZE][/quote]I thought Sara is normally pronounced "Sair-ah" by english speaking people. Is it because there's no H at the end? I thought both spellings (Sara and Sarah) were pronounced the same.

However, Sara is also used by arabs (and I guess other eastern nationalities) and is pronounced "Sah-ra".[/COLOR]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=navy]Woah, what a thread. I've learnt a lot from this actually, there's so many people's usernames that I've gotten wrong, like Chabichou (Chab-i-chow), ULX (Zai-on), Neuvoxetere (New-vox-ee-ter) and Baron Samedi (Sam-ah-dee)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#000080]Anyways, I've been through 3 usernames:[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#000080][b]Sakuramon: [/b]Sakura, explained later, with mahn on the end, like Digi[i]mon [/i]or Poké[i]mon[/i]. I used it because it was all I thought of at the time[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#000080][b]Ohkami: [/b]I think this one was a little harder for people. It's hard to explain, a kind of [i]Oar-kah-mee[/i] with the O long and stressed. It should actually be written Ookami, but I decided to change it cause I don't like the spelling much. I was willing to accept anyone that called me Oh-cah-mee like '[b]Oh [/b]dear' and '[b]Kami[/b]-sama' - god. The reason I chose it was because I love wolves.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#000080][b]Sakura: [/b]Hmmm....I don't think Sakura is that hard. The proper Japanese way is [i]sah-koo-rah[/i] with each syllable very short, with the koo shortest of all, and sah is the stressed. Like [i]sa [/i]in [b]Sa[/b]rs, [i]koo [/i]in [b]Coo[/b]k, and [i]rah [/i]like [b]Ra[/b]men.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#000080]But I don't mind if people say it the English way without the Japanese sounds [i]suh-koo-rah [/i]with the koo stressed instead. I chose this username because I love the name, love cherry blossoms - my favourite plant/flower, and I was and still am a large CCS fan (Card Captor Sakura)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#000080]I don't know if that explanation made sense, but there you go. It doesn't matter to me how people pronounce my username anyway, I'm not at all picky but I thought I'd just add to the thread anyway.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana][size=2][color=#000080]And [b]^.^ [/b]whenever I say your name in my head I always think back to JJRiddler and call you JJ. Because like you said, how do you pronounce a [b]^.^[/b][/color][/size][/font]

Guest Kaigaishii
[quote name='kuroinuyoukai']:catgirl: Hey! My name is Japanese. Kuro is pronounced "cuelow"(Japanese pronounce r's like l's),Inu(like Inu in Inuyasha)Youkai is pronounced"yohkae". I know kuroinu is "black dog" and i am not really sure what youkai is yet! Hope nothing bad. :animenose[/quote]
OOO! I know what it means! It means "demon" :catgirl:

I know I'm just repeating everybody else, but this thread is very informative. xD Somebody should have made one like this earlier.

The only problem is that even though I read the real pronounciations, it'll be difficult for me to switch them in my head since I'm already so used to them. I shall always think "double oh seven" instead of "zero zero seven."

About my username though... it's not pronounced but spelt. the letter "R" the number "2" the letter "V" and the letter "Q".

My signature... that's a bit harder. It too, is just the sounds of letters. "Ar" would be like the letter "R" and "V" would just be pronounced as the letter "V".
That's why Godel types it as "Arvie". xD

-ArV

Now those whom I know get this wrong my name is pronouced just like the horrid dubbed version of his name. You can say it just like you would as Brolly but it is really spelt Burori. The english dubbers took the easy road.... now to clerify with all those so called DBZ 'fans' if you wish to call yourselves that whom emailed me constently that his name was that or Brolli, broly and the Super Saiya-jin's as super saiyan.... Please please please stop with the pointless PMs...... thank you for reading.

• 2 months later...
Guest Sauce-Cakes
[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma]Mine's pretty easy tp pronounce, it's just Sauce-like [B]sauce[/B] you put on foods, then Cakes-like how many birthday [B]cakes[/B] have you ever had?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]I can't tell you how many times my friends have said to me, "_________, your nickname is so stupid because people are just going to pronounce it like 'rhyme' instead of how it should be!"

Well, if any of you thought it was pronounced like "rhyme," it's not. It's just pronounced like "rim." Are we all clear now?

To avoid this confusion, I've now changed my nickname to what my middle name is, "Skiles," which, I think, is a very cool name. Not to say that I've stopped using "Rhym" entirely. I still use it on occasion, like for OB.[/FONT][/COLOR]