OtakuBoards

OtakuBoards Survivor: Game On! - Mog House [E]

Sandy

Just trying to motivate you here, so hope you don't mind if I put the current score here:

[color=red]Bravers:[/color] 2nd round with 6 points
[color=green]Legends:[/color] 2nd round with 9 points (+1 point for the 3rd round)
[color=blue]Adventurers:[/color] 3rd round with 12 points (+2 points from the extra member)

(The scores in parenthesis don't count yet - or in Adventurers' case, at all.)

The challenge ends tomorrow, so you better hurry up, Bravers & Legends, if you want to catch up with the Adventurers. ;D

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=#503f86]Yeah, I was having horrible trouble trying to follow where the heck everyone was. Holes appeared, a river happened, there were ceilings outside...[/color]
[color=#503f86][/color]
[color=#503f86]Seeing as the last post I read ended up in Mario World, I decided it'd be best to stick with whichever Mario incarnation everyone else was in. Before we know it we'll be on Delphino Plaza.

Des must think we're really unprofessional :p[/color]

[QUOTE=Solo Tremaine][color=#503f86]Yeah, I was having horrible trouble trying to follow where the heck everyone was. Holes appeared, a river happened, there were ceilings outside...[/color]
[color=#503f86][/color]
[color=#503f86]Seeing as the last post I read ended up in Mario World, I decided it'd be best to stick with whichever Mario incarnation everyone else was in. Before we know it we'll be on Delphino Plaza.

Des must think we're really unprofessional :p[/color][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]:rolleyes: Well, to be honest, it is kind of hard to follow what's going on with the Adventurers. You guys seem to be jumping all the heck over -- literally. Flinging Pacman way far away, then having him back with the rest of the group in the next post with no explanation? Methinks we should all try and work on keeping the plot consistant, if only to make things less confusing.

But I don't see anything wrong with bringing in elements from later games in the series. Personally, I chose to stick with a pretty literal interpretation of the original Super Mario Bros. levels (which I, at least, am having fun with), but tossing in stuff from later games could also be interesting. The nice thing about staying within those levels, though, is that you always have a reference point for where people are.[/color]

[size=1]I'm essentially following a rough guideline to the maps Des posted about earlier on. And as for bringing people back without much explanation - well, there is only so far to go in a world, lol. And with KKC's post about what sounded very much like flagpoles, [b]inside[/b] [we were on World 1-2, as far as I was aware, lol] I took what he said into account, but attempted to make it so that we were still inside, lol.

It does get confusing, but it just says we were transported to the Mushroom Kingdom, not particularl levels, even though levels work better, heh.[/size]

[SIZE=1]I think that, whereas most of the team sees us as being in the mario bros. world (see fig. 1), KKC sees us as being in the super mario world (see fig. 2). Also I think we had made it to world 1-3 by that point anyway ^_~. I think I've pretty much just amalgamated the two into one world with aspects of each heh.

[B]Fig.1
[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24881&stc=1[/img]

Fig.2[/B]
[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24882&stc=1[/img]
[/SIZE]

[size=1]I think my main problem is that I don't really know the original Mario games amazingly well, so basically in my posts I have been trying to give the picture of fairly standard Mario worlds, such as my latest one, which is a pretty standard Mario bonus level.

But I think that Des is right in saying that we probably need to be more consistent in our posts, [color=Navy]Adventurers[color=Black]. I guess its just a case of reading through the posts before our own pretty thoroughly.[/color][/color]
[/size]

Save that last tip for the next challenge, Wraith, cause [B]Mushroomania[/B] is over.

The winners, again, are the [color=blue]Adventurers[/color], with their seamless teamwork - each one of you posted, and each one of you posted often. Nice job!

Not-so-closely behind them were the [color=green]Legends[/color], and the team with the least points was [color=red]Bravers[/color]. Both of you will have to vote another member out from your team.

This challenge was about dedication to this game and your team, and some of you players showed quite much lack of it.

But I hope that all teams will enter the next challenge with even more enthusiasm and vigor - don't let the losses put you down! ;D

Anyways, you know what to do, green and red teams; PM me with your votes by the end of this week. Next challenge will commence either on Sunday or Monday.

Game On, y'all!

[SIZE=1]Alright! Hat trick! That was a close one alright, well done to the [COLOR=Green]Legends[/COLOR].

I'd like to ask one thing, however. When we are sent to these worlds, we all seem to assume that we are sent to seperate worlds per team, with no interaction between teams. Is that a correct assumtion or is there going to be some team interaction later on in the game?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Sandy, these rounds where you have to post often are really putting as at a disadvantage. =/

(Not that I'm a bad sport-well done to the [COLOR=Blue]Adventurers[/COLOR], I just feel I should point something out here)

We managed to get our whole team posted first, because Sakura and I made sure to PM/IM people when they were online. But everyone on my team is in different time zones, so it's impossible for us to post often. As far as I know, three people on the Adventurers are in England.

I'm just pointing out that rounds where you have to post fast or often is going to immediately put people at a disadvantage. It doesn't seem all that fair.

*sighs* I tried.[/SIZE]

[size=1][color=crimson] Way to go koro....I mean....[b] Adventurers![/b] PacMan is pleased with the outcome very muchso.

The interesting thing about this game was I haven't really played any other Mario game apart from 64, and this is the world that I kept envisioning in my head, lol. I did my best not to mention anything that could potentially be 64-specific, but despite the latters 3Dness, the games seem much alike anyway.

Oh, Des, Pacs ability to be flung far distances and then appear with the group would be due to the fact he's a ball and when he's flung, he'll bounce like a maniac. :p

I have to say that, despite some little inconsistencies, I am quite pleased with the Adventurers storyline so far, look how consistent we kept Lemmingsitters, for example. I believe we are quite bonded in story already. [/size][/color]

[size=1]Well done, [color=Navy]Adventurers[color=Black]! Hat-trick, nicely done. I think in the next challenge, however, we need to keep track of each other's posts, and make sure we are checking the consistency, and possibly communicating a little more, either in here or through PM.

But otherwise, way to go Adventurers!
[/color][/color][/size]

[quote name='Wraith][size=1]Well done, [color=navy]Adventurers[color=black]! Hat-trick, nicely done. I think in the next challenge, however, we need to keep track of each other's posts, and make sure we are checking the consistency, and possibly communicating a little more, either in here or through PM.[/color][/color'][/size][/quote][COLOR=#503F86]Yeah, I'd agree with that ^_^;

I was panicking because I couldn't get to a computer that would let me onto the 'Boards this afternoon... well done, guys!

I suppose this means we'll be two members down each for the next challenge?[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][QUOTE=Solo Tremaine][COLOR=#503F86]
I suppose this means we'll be two members down each for the next challenge?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Thats hardly fair though, if that was the case then we might as well vote two people off ourselves (not that I'm suggesting we do ^_~)[/SIZE]

[B]Doukeshi[/B]: no, there really isn't much interaction between teams, but frett not; when the number of players has dropped to twelve, the three teams will merge into two. And that happens sooner than you'd think, because after the next challenge, this competition will only have twelve contestants. ;D

[B]Imi[/B]: in case you haven't noticed, I'm from Europe as well, so I do not think the time zones work as a disadvantage to your team or the others either. Besides, you had four days time to post to this challenge, so you can't really blame on the lack of time either. The blue team was just more active, that's all. ;)

I do not believe that the blue team will win every challenge in this game - especially since there won't [I]be[/I] any blue team (nor red nor green) after the next challenge. ;P

[B]Solo[/B]: it's not entirely certain wether you will have to sit out two of your members to the next challenge, because I really haven't decided which of my various predetermined challenges I will choose to be the next one.

I try to pick contests that will require different attributes from the teams; the first was obviously quick wits, the second demanded humour and participation, the latest teamwork and activity. Who knows what the fourth challenge will require?

Remember that there'll ultimately be only one winner, a sole survivor. The player who shows capacity in [I]all[/I] these attributes will most probably be the one. ;)

[QUOTE=Imi][SIZE=1]We managed to get our whole team posted first, because Sakura and I made sure to PM/IM people when they were online. But everyone on my team is in different time zones, so it's impossible for us to post often. As far as I know, three people on the Adventurers are in England.

I'm just pointing out that rounds where you have to post fast or often is going to immediately put people at a disadvantage. It doesn't seem all that fair.

*sighs* I tried.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[size=1]I'm in Australia, Shinji is in New Zealand. Solo is in England [?]. As far as I know, Doukeshi, KKC and Wraith are Americans. Time zones don't make much of a difference. If people visit regularly [wherein lies the problem] then you can win that sort of challenge. It in no way stops you from posting often.[/size]

[SIZE=1][quote name='Baron Samedi][size=1]I'm in Australia, Shinji is in New Zealand. Solo is in England [?]. As far as I know, Doukeshi, KKC and Wraith are Americans. Time zones don't make much of a difference. If people visit regularly [wherein lies the problem'] then you can win that sort of challenge. It in no way stops you from posting often.[/size][/quote]

Nope, I'm in England also, quite the multicultural team eh ^_~. I agree with your point though[/SIZE]

[color=#503f86]Wraith and I are both English too. For our part, Doukeshi, Wraith and I are more likely to be around when Sandy begins and ends the challenges, but there shouldn't be anything that actually inhibits the amount you can post. It's not as if head starts mean a great deal when it comes to cumulative posts.[/color]
[color=#503f86][/color]
[color=#503f86]I can see your point, though- if half of us are writing our posts at around the same time it means that we're effectively getting through a round more quickly, especially if other team members are available at the same time. But if everyone on all teams posted at least once a day it wouldn't make any difference.

But we'll get split up and moved around after the next challenge anyway, heh, so that should dissipate any advantage we could have in that respect.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]Yeah, it's a bit discouraging when the same competing team wins three times in a row. But in a game like this, at least towards the start here, I figure that the fat is just going to get trimmed wherever it most needs it. (No offense to anyone that gets voted out, it's just an analogy.) Even if you're in a losing team, you shouldn't have much to worry about if you played well in the challenge.

Of course, I don't think any challenges should give advantages to teams with more players. Otherwise, considering that people didn't get to choose who they got teamed with, a really good player could get teamed up with other not-so-good players who get voted out. The good player would then be at a disadvantage which he/she was powerless to stop, and could end up getting voted out regardless of skill. Or, in short, "safety in numbers" shouldn't exist in a game such as this, which ultimately comes down to individual skill.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]Hey, I posted three times this challenge and I would've posted again if not for the fact that it wouldn't have mattered. :shifty:

And I know. I wasn't implying that the Adventurers had an advantage in this last challenge, but rather that, as others mentioned, the next challenge should be one that doesn't give any advantage. Since the team sizes will be so off balance.[/color]

I now have all the votes, and it's clear which two players will leave this game shortly.

However, I can't announce that in the game thread, because I was the last to post, and double-posting is prohibited. So, I'd like to ask someone from the [color=blue]blue team[/color] to post next.

With the results clear so soon, it is most likely that the next challenge will already begin this Saturday. Stay tuned for that, too!

[SIZE=1][QUOTE=Solo Tremaine aka Krystal]On the shelf next to her bed, the mirror the team had won caught her eye. They still hadn't used it yet...
[/QUOTE]

Thats because we keep forgetting to take it with us. Lets make sure someone grabs it next time lol[/SIZE]

[color=#503f86] [QUOTE][b]Originally Posted by Solo Tremaine aka Krystal
[/b]Wraith and I are both English too.[/QUOTE] [color=black][size=1]That's kinda scary how you know that.

But anyway, if all the teams are changed at the end of the next round, does that mean the Blue Team lose the advantage of their mirror? Or does someone get to take it into their other team?
[/size][/color] [/color]