OtakuBoards

sub or dub?

punk alchemist

Guest Goji-Ro
I can't read an anime and watch it at the same time, but I like to hear the differances between the american voice actors and the japanese v.a.'s. I just watch both simply because I enjoy both. If the american v.o. is off slightly from the mouth movements, it doesn't bother me. I like it like that 'cause reminds me of all the old samurai films that crossed over to america. It just give the anime that much more.....(Classic atmosphear?)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just discussing this on my own forum actually. The problem with Dubbing which I have noticed is simple, sometimes it can be really good where you don't even notice it such as in the Ghost in the Shell movie, and sometimes it keeps smacking you in the face when you've watched Love Hina in Japanese so many times and then find out that Kitsune sounds like she's from Texas in the Dubbed version. So my conclusion is simple really, if the Dubbing is quality like in my first example then I prefer that, but if it isn't up to that standard then I'd rather watch the film in Japanese with English subtitles. That's my two cents, anyhow.

I watch both. It really depends on the anime. Some anime I watch dub others sub.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed][INDENT]rkenfan82, since Otakuboards emphasizes conversation, in the future try to have more content in your posts. Maybe explaining why you like sub for some and dub for others? Maybe you can explain which Anime you watch that are dub and which Anime that you watch are sub? Posts with such little content in the future will be considered spam and may even be deleted. -Arvi[/INDENT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='punk alchemist']what do you think? i like sub, because it uses the original phrases and voices of the show, but i don't want to read the show instead of watching it. but ya gotta give credit to how good dubbing is getting these days. i even have fave american voice actors! so...what do you think? :animesmil[/quote]
I prefer dubbed because generally when I watched a subbed show, I read the words, and never focus on the picture, so it doesn't connect as well. Also, a lot of japanese voices sound weird, like the make them way too ridiculous for comic effect or something. And the girls' voices are always weak and pathetic and it is insulting.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I actually like both. Unless the translation is horrible I prefer to first watch the dub so I don?t have to read while trying to watch the show at the same time. Then once I know what is going on I like to go back and then watch the sub to pick up on the differences between the two. Often, especially with a show like Fruits Basket, I end up having things I like better in both formats.

Though for some of the shows that are edited to death like Sailor Moon, once I?ve seen the uncut sub version I can?t bring myself to watch the dub again. *shudder*[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
I usually do the dub. It's just a lot more convenient to be able to take in the artwork without having to compete with reading the subtitles in time. That's all fine and dandy when the dub is good. But some of my absolute favorite series, like Gravitation and Fruits Basket, have dubs so atrocious I can't watch a single episode without leaving the room. For those, I put on the subtitles and switch it to good ol' Japanese. Usually, when I first get an anime series, I watch an episode in both English and Japanese just to see which I prefer for that particular series. So my choice on dub vs. sub really depends on the series itself. Another thing I like to do is have on the English dub with the subtitles so I can note translation discrepancies, jokes that must not have translated, what the original version was trying to say, etc.

I'm fairly open to both subs and dubs, I just have preference to the dubs if I can get ahold of them. I have nothing against subs, and in fact use it in my studies on the japanese language.

I'm presently watching Bleach in subs, again mostly because there is no dubbed version yet, but that's still a great way to see the series and it works just fine for me. The only otakus who really believe you need the subs to really appreciate it are in the earlier stages and have yet to come to appreciate some of teh finer dubbings out there. Let's face it, there are some pretty damn good ones out there. And there not that hard to fine either.

[SIZE=1]I usually watch the dubbed, as the voice overs are pretty good for the most part. However, there are certain instances in which the sub is all I can get, in which case I'll go after them like a starving person. the subs I watch include Trinity Blood and Gundam SEED Destiny, though I have watched some of Bleach, Naruto (Only ep. 101), Fafner, and a good chunk of Blood+ as well.

I'm not picky. However, because I've watched the sub of Trinity Blood I'll forever be using the Japanese pronunciation of my favorite spaz of a priest, Abel Nightroad. In fact, I'm a little worried about how he'll be dubbed when it is released this fall. He's just that odd of a character.

It seems a little juvenile to act all elitist because you've seen the sub before you saw the dub. It's also just stupid to complain about the great voice acting one can hear on [adult swim]. Some of these people have a lot of talent if they can pull off a character as messed up as Shinji and not go nuts afterward. I respect the voice actors because of some of the messed up roles they play, and I'm not gonna even attempt to put them out of work because I saw the sub and don't want it ruined.[/SIZE]

[color=#9933ff][font=magneto][size=3]For me the preference of sub or dub depends on the quality of the dub vs the original.

For example the dub of Magic Knight Rayearth (hey bear with me, I haven't watched a lot of anime lately) is very nice. They even correctly translated the songs for the opening and closing sequences. I can easily watch and compair with the original and have no complaints. This is an excellent example of a dub.

InuYasha is my next example- the dubbing is ok on this, except that there are a few mistranslations. But the orginal songs were left as is and although I wish VIZ had added subtitles to the songs I like this dub as well. Maybe because VIZ used the same voice actor for Koga that Funimation (?) used for Duo Maxwell. And while I'm on that subject- Mobil Suit Gundam Wing is a good dub as well.

However SailorMoon, Tokyo Mew Mew and Winx Club would be better off being watch subbed. Or in Winx Club's case the UK english version instead of 4KIDs.

So to recap for me it depends on the dub's quality. I can read and watch at the same time.[/color][/font][/size]

I watch both subbed and dubbed(more of dubbed) but I prefer to watch in original japanese and read the subtitles. Whenever I watch them with subs, people always ask if I know that it is in english also. So I beat them to a bloody pulp for suggesting something so ludicrous. Then I turn the volume up so I can't hear them complain that their legs are broken or that there is a fork stuck in their eye.

• 1 month later...
Guest Ichigo4
[FONT=Fixedsys]I personally prefer subbed because it maintains what the character are really saying. I hate it when an anime is "americanized" and changed completely. Sometimes they even cut out the most important parts because its not right for the audience and when you see it does not make sense. They also change the names depending on the country that dubbes it. I really prefer subbed.[/FONT]

[COLOR=Sienna]Well unless the dub is absolutely horrible I always watch it first. Some of the newer series like Full Metal Alchemist and Fruits Basket have pretty good dubs in my opinion. By newer I mean 2000 or later. Anyway, although I prefer it to be as original as possible I like to be able to concentrate on the show without worrying about reading anything.

Then if I like the show I will go back and watch it in Japanese with subtitles. Having already watched it in English, at least for the shows that are done well, makes watching the sub even more enjoyable. It?s easier to concentrate on the words since you already know what is going to happen.

And then there are some shows that I never did manage to finish the dub version, like Soul Hunter and Sailor Moon. They were just too mutilated and within a very short time they just grated on my nerves.
[/COLOR]

Yeah, I liked how indifference put it, but I find the subtitles are better because practically everything has had it's meaning changed in anime. For example: Naruto, in Japan a show for teenagers, in USA a show for 12 and under (but the older kids are welcome to see it). That's the thing that bothers me.

[quote name='Apherion']Yeah, I liked how indifference put it, but I find the subtitles are better because practically everything has had it's meaning changed in anime.[/quote]
Sure, if you're talking about anime from 4Kids or whatever. Current North American releases in which "practically everything" differs between the raw and the dub can probably be counted on two hands.

[QUOTE]For example: Naruto, in Japan a show for teenagers, in USA a show for 12 and under (but the older kids are welcome to see it). That's the thing that bothers me.[/QUOTE]
Not so much. "A show for 12 and under (but the older kids are welcome to see it)" accurately describes Naruto's status in Japan as well. Naruto, One Piece and similar series are far more kid-oriented than foreign fans like to think.

More to the point, I believe that the uncut Naruto box sets will come with an uncut version of the dub as well as the subtitled version.

~Dagger~

I definitely prefer subtitles. I like to hear the original Japanese voices and such, because they actually fit the characters well a majority of the time. However, when the show is dubbed, I think that the voices often do not fit well with the characters. Also, the environment sometimes has an impact on which I prefer. Sometimes, if the show is set in America or Europe, I don't mind if it uses American voices (as long as they aren't horrible). Though, if the show is set in Asia, I definitely don't want American voices. Another thing I despise in dubbed shows is when they substitute the original opening/end themes with ridiculous rap music and such. *sigh* That really gets on my nerves. :animestun

[COLOR=SeaGreen][quote name='Ichigo4][FONT=Fixedsys']I personally prefer subbed because it maintains what the character are really saying. I hate it when an anime is "americanized" and changed completely. Sometimes they even cut out the most important parts because its not right for the audience and when you see it does not make sense. They also change the names depending on the country that dubbes it. I really prefer subbed.[/FONT][/quote]Sometimes a name change is necessary. Take the series Detective Conan which was re-named to Case Closed for the USA. There was the issue of the name Conan already being copyrighted for Conan the Barbarian. Yes they are different titles, but often instead of worrying over the possible issues that could occur, they just change the name to avoid any potential problems.

The story behind the title change, from Detective Conan to Case Closed!, is similar to the one that faced the Lupin III franchise in the past: Tokyo Movie Shinsha, the producers of Detective Conan, simply didn't want any legal problems to arise from using the name "Conan" in the title.

So it wasn?t Americanized; the original producer is the one who actually made the decision. They also made the decision to use more American names. I myself prefer the original names but I have many friends who find it confusing since they are not familiar with Japanese names and it makes it harder for them to remember who is who.
[/COLOR]

subs all the way :animesmil

i h8 dubs when they cant say the names right and the voices dont match the character and the music is terrible and all the edits... they take out all the good parts sumtimes

After watching mainly dubs for a long time, I've recently started to seclude myself primarily to the subtitled version. This change largely comes from my desire to learn Japanese, and since I'll be studying it in the Fall I want to surround myself by the language so I can be used to recognizing various sounds, words, and phrases for when I get into the formal process. ^_^ Not that I'm trying to learn the whole language by watching anime, but I feel that the transition would be somewhat easier. :p

When it comes down to it, I don't really mind either way. Of course, I can have no sympathy for companies that change an anime significantly in the dubbing process, so I'm referring to when only the voices are altered (though perhaps you may say that's a hopeless ideal! ;)). The thing that I like about watching it dubbed is that I can do various multitasking while it's playing, like type on the computer, draw, or just in general lay down with my eyes closed or something, lol. I do look at the screen every once in a while, but in those cases it's not my top priority, in contrast to subs where attention is mandatory. There are certainly times when voices seem out of place in English, though for the most part I've found that I have a bigger tolerance for that than a lot of people, haha.

When I got to college, I was hit with the realization that by default, we were going to be watching subbed anime at our campus club. I've never really had anything against subtitled versions in the past, but since I'm kind of a slow reader there are times when I'd miss something or just wish I could put more concentration into [i]watching[/i] it (or less overall?), I suppose. I also started to get into fansubs and such, which are obviously going to be subtitled whether I like it or not. ^.^; It really seems to depend on who's subbing an anime for if it's going to be good, be that in timing, spelling, or general references; I don't have any favorites in companies, but I can discern specific series. Yakitate! Japan is a great example of good subtitles, while the latter half of Hunter x Hunter was rather poorly done (though both anime are awesome). And then for licensed companies, whoever did the subbing on my Kenshin DVDs needs to be shot. :D

Sometimes it seems to me that dubbed anime is unfairly targeted a lot of the time by so-called "hardcore" fans, heh. Yes, it's actually becoming less common to find that dubbing is associated with atrocious editing. And yes, by watching subtitles you're not miraculously free of translation issues; if something is lost in the translation, then the only way to truly watch it is in raw. Would I also be correct in assuming that Japanese voice actors do not regularly work with the original manga creator to portray these characters the way they were "intended to be"? Maybe Japanese actors work harder to fit emotions, maybe not - that seems that it should be on a case-by-case basis.

I believe that the biggest thing at work here is what you're used to. If you really like watching subbed, then dubbed may seem out of place, and vice versa. If you really get into a series with the characters sounding a certain way, then an immediate change might disgust you. And then there's the argument of whether as English-speaking individuals whether we can even know whether certain Japanese voices sound better than others, but I think we probably have the ability to distinguish at least subtley.

• 2 years later...
When it comes to dubbed anime or subbed anime, it really depends on the quality of each.

I mostly prefer the subtitled version because you get to hear the anime in it's original format. With subtitled anime you also get to learn/practice Japanese too.

I do not shun dubbed anime either, However if it sucks, it just sucks. For instance, I was not impressed with the Naruto and Fruits Basket dubs, "BELIEVE IT!" See? My point right there.

I do not like some companies changing things in the anime sometimes but I can see why they do it for the 'younger' audience that typically watches anime.

[quote name='Magus']Dubbing. I've never seen subtitled. Don't plan to either. Maybe it's because I don't care for originals. I just want to understand what I'm looking at without having to read the bottom of the screen.[/QUOTE]
Wow.. I don't remember posting that at all, but it sounds like me nevertheless lol.

I'll expand on that a bit. Yes, I'm still a dubs only guy, but I have watched a few subs just to check out what the series look like and whatnot. Reading while watching is something I hate doing. (And please don't say something like, Pause the screen or what-have-you) I just prefer to hear everything in english. Whether it's good or bad, I need to hear english, otherwise I'll feel offended (thinking I'm being cussed out) for not knowing what's being said. (Even though the words are on-screen)

Another reason I stick with dubs is because I don't get any high expectations or let downs when it comes to hearing the dubbed version. People tend to get highly upset with some animes simply because the voices don't fit the original. If the voice is a good fit for the character then the hell with the original.. As rude as that may seem, but that's how I feel about it.

Question though. Honorifics. Are they really that important? I've seen people get upset because [i]-kun, -dama, -chan[/i] (those are honorifics right? lol) has been removed from a characters name. I don't really care about them, so of course they wouldn't matter to me, but don't get me wrong. I understand the use of them, I just don't see them as important as people make them out to be.

[size=1][spoiler]1000 post[/size][/spoiler]

[color=#9933ff]I usually don't care except in the case of Sailor Moon, Magical Do Re Mi and Tokyo Mew Mew. But I don't really like the Magic Knight Rayearth sub because Pioneer translated Hikaru calling Umi and Fuu Umi chan and Fuu chan to Umi-ster and Fuu-ster. So yeah score one for the dub.

I thought that the Naruto Dub was fairly decent. Okay yes I can go without hearing Naruto yell Believe It! In place of Databayou, but in my humble opinion the voices weren't nail on a chalk board or stab your ear drums bad and the storyline stayed the same.

Another dub that has only slight aggrivations is Fushigi Yugi. Okay Miaka did grate on me as did Yue, but other than that it was pretty cool. Except for Chichiri. In the original Chichiri says no da a lot at the end of his sentances (one of the reasons he's just so darn cute) which doesn't have a direct translation (like Dattaibayou) and Pioneer translated that to 'ya know' which again got annoying. And another trivial fact on the dubbing of Fushigi Yugi was that a lot of Miaka's confusions (simular to Minako's constant mistransaltions and misunderstandings in Saillor Moon- like Breast Cleaning for Voice training and Looking for a place to eat when they were looking for the Messiah- because Messiah sounds like Meshia which is a place to eat) had to be explained more clearly. Like when Yue [spoiler]Introduced Nakago as a foreign guy and Miaka misinterpreted what she said to be a forelorn guy[/spoiler] Good times.

Right now I'm getting into Ouran High School Host club. I've only watched the dub and I like it. SO I guess I shoudl at least try the sub sometime.[/color]