OtakuBoards

sub or dub?

punk alchemist

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kuroinuyoukai
[quote name='punk alchemist']what do you think? i like sub, because it uses the original phrases and voices of the show, but i don't want to read the show instead of watching it. but ya gotta give credit to how good dubbing is getting these days. i even have fave american voice actors! so...what do you think? :animesmil[/quote]

I agree with you. i would love to hear all anime in Japanese-but I would hate having to read the subtitles. I am taking Japanese in college, but I know very little to be watching in Japanese. Plus I like some of the voice actors like Richard Cox(Inuyasha),Paul Dobson(Naraku), and David Kaye(Sesshomaru). I guess I have gotten used to the English dubbing!

I'm dubbed all the way. Nothing else. I can't do the read and whach. I'm not good at moltitasking. Anyways dubbing is really good now a days. Like I have a ton of favorite acters. I tryed once to do the sub, that didn't work out to well. Not one bit......I couldn't whach and read. I missed like the hole show. So.........dub is for me.

Guest JerzeyKat
That depends what mood I'm in (ie; if I really feel like reading and watching, or if I'm just lazy or sleepy.) For the most part, I enjoyed subbed over dubbed because the dubbed versions lose some of the comedy in translation - not to mention, some of the English voices.

So, in short, subbed over dubbed with exceptions depending on the series or my personal mood. :D

Guest Kyoshiro Mebu
When i first began watching movies that was dub i got used to it but then my brother began getting kung fu movies that only had sub and i got used to that. So now it's all sub for me. Even if the movie has dub i have to put it on sub because i'm used to reading and it helps me learn chinese and japanese too :D

With shows that have great dubs (a good example would be Fruit's Basket), I'm watching the dub and will probably only watch an episode or two subbed just to see how the characters sounded in the Japanese version (which usually proves how great the dub is).

With shows that have weaker dubs (an example would be Neon Genesis Evangelion), I'd probably enjoy the sub a bit more, but I can deal with the dub.

With shows that have terrible dubs (the most glaring example would be One Piece), I'll pick the sub and avoid the dub for the rest of my life until they redub it more faithful to the original.

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]No matter what anyone says, I like to watch anime with subtitles instead of dubbing. I prefer the original voices, and anything else sounds odd to me. Plus, I don't have to "read" the anime, that's why we humans have peripheral vision.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Guest Doomberg
personaly i like the sub just because it has an artistic sence that you cant get from dubs.anyone think this to?but dubs ok though im not saying I dont like it .Some time I actaly like dubs.hope that made some sence

ok sub over dub mostly :animeangr

Guest MeirToTheWise
I prefer sub over dub, unless the dubs are right on the mark. I really don't find it difficult to both watch the film and read the subs. I like to see the original, so that I don't lose anything from the story.

Definitely dubbing. Not just for anime, but for foreign films as well. I speak French pretty well, and I still can't watch Queen Margot w/o subtitles or dubbing, and I prefer dubbing. And also, subtitles drive me crazy because I miss alot of details trying to read the subtitles and not paying enough attention to whatever I'm watching. I can multi-task, but not THAT well. So, like I said, defintiely dubbing. The only thing is that they have to change some of the things they say, so that it's not longer or shorter than any of the actual phrases, and so that the words and sentences aren't still going after or aren't stopping before the character has stopped speaking.

I like subbed animes cuz not only do you get to learn the Japanese language (well sort of, lol) but the voice actors usually are better when they are subbed in anime generally, all m y anime that i have on my computer is subbed (except for Golden Boy) since that's basically all you can find online, imo.

• 2 months later...
I'd rather have subs.

With subs, it's the real script, and all you have to do is read it. Some people complain that the subtitles go to fast, but I've never had that problem. Also, nothing's cut out, and you get to see what was originally put there. Some people complain that the quality isn't good, but it's all a matter of finding the right ones. Also, it can help people to learn the Japanese language. My Japanese mom is too busy to teach me, and I still know quite a bit, most of which I learned from watching subs.

But with dubs, it's a matter of who's dubbing it. I can't stand 4kids dubs. It's not the real thing anymore. Parts are cut out, scripts are changed, the VAs aren't very good (in my opinion) and even the names are changed. In many cases, they also take out the Japanese culture, because for some reason, they want it to seem American. Also, the theme songs are often changed. I love Japanese music, and the songs choosen - or made - are never really appealing to me.

Fandubs are a different story though. Most fandubbers look carefully for people who suit the characters vices, and they use actual epsiodes, without cutting things out. Although, I know of some that have altered the script a bit, but I don't find many.

And that's my opinion :animesmil

zoshu, it's a bit disingenuous to present 4Kids-style dubs and fandubs as the only options (even if that wasn't your intent, that's how it came out). The vast majority of dubs--like the vast majority of anime releases in general--are uncut, uncensored, etc. 4Kids' work forms such a small percentage of what's out there that it would be completely negligible if they didn't have the rights to some well-known series.

~Dagger~

Well... I can stand both of them, so long as they're of good quality. I've heard a number of badly dubbed anime, aswel as films, but I've also seen one very, very bad attempt at subtitles. A Korean boxset of Neon Genesis Evangelion, which started off nice and legible, but in the last few episodes became a horrifying cocktail of bad spelling and grammar. Truly horrifying.

But if I was given a choice of a good dub or a good sub, I'd go for the subtitles. I just prefer to hear it in Japanese, even if I can't understand a word - and the same for French films and the like. I don't personally find it too difficult to read and watch at the same time, and to be honest it's a nice break from the English language.

[SIZE=1]The first time around, I watch anime subbed. There are a few exceptions, such as Voices of a Distant Star, which had such beautiful animation that I simply [I]couldn't[/I] focus on the bottom of the screen the first time through. If I ever feel like rewatching an anime, I usually watch it dubbed, just to get a different feel for it.

Foreign live-action movies, however, I [I]always[/I] watch in the original language. Watching live-action movies dubbed just feels too unnatural for me to properly enjoy it.[/SIZE]

For me it all really matters what anime im watching. For instance, in Eva if u watch it in dub, the last thing Asuka says to Shinji is what ever the person who wrote the dub thinks it is, and the same does apply for sub. But in a subbed Eva you hear her words and take it as you will. Most anime is good in dub, but the few that arnt are Evangelion, Devil Hunter Yohko, Dirty Pair (the original one not Flash) and most hentai is better in sub.

[size=1]I originally started watching anime with dubs. And I currently got into subbed anime with the series [b]Full Moon wo Sagshite[/b].

Sometimes, with the animes I own, I switch over the the original japanese voice-overs, and I don't really like it as much.

I'm not much of a person where they take a girl to be the voice of a boy. I mean, usually, there's a [b][i]huge[/b][/i] difference between a guy's voice and a girl's voice. Like, when they're trying to emphasize the boy in an anime to be a bit more girly than others, they make the voice actor to be none other than a girl. But, when it's either a normal, average boy, or a rough, gruff guy, then there is this rough, masculine voice talking in the japanese dub. And while the two, female and male voice, act as the same gender, it's sort of annoying to listen to a female voicing as a male. This is my opinion of course.

I'm not sure if it makes sense though. :animeswea

Some dubs are horrible, though, so it's better to have the sub, if a person is good at multi-tasking by reading and occasionally watching at the same time.

Although, I'm more of a dubbed person. I like to enjoy my show and take it in fully, script, actions and all, instead of just script alone. :D [/size]

[QUOTE=Dagger]zoshu, it's a bit disingenuous to present 4Kids-style dubs and fandubs as the only options (even if that wasn't your intent, that's how it came out). The vast majority of dubs--like the vast majority of anime releases in general--are uncut, uncensored, etc. 4Kids' work forms such a small percentage of what's out there that it would be completely negligible if they didn't have the rights to some well-known series.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Did it sound like that? Sorry! I was just comparing a company I hear a lot about :animeswea And most of the anime I've watched recently has been dubbed by them, so I guess it's stuck in my head :animeswea

Although, most dub companies do a better job, but I'm a bit disappointed with most of the ones I've seen. Although, Fruits Basket was done very well. I just can't seem to remember who dubbed it....

But I do know that Viz (or, at least I'm very sure) dubbed Naruto. I didn't watch past the first episode of the dub, I was too afraid. :animeswea Of course, that's just my opinion.

No worries. :)

One thing to keep in mind is that while some companies do the dubbing themselves (such as FUNimation, who dubbed Fruits Basket, and ADV), others have separate dubbing companies do the work. As an example, Koi Kaze is a Geneon anime, but it was dubbed by New Generation Pictures. Not all Geneon anime are dubbed by NGP--some are dubbed by other companies, such as Bang Zoom and Animaze.

Naruto is a Viz anime, but it was dubbed by Studiopolis. I'm pretty sure it's their first Viz series, although they've done work for other companies in the past (Marmalade Boy, GTO, Kaze no Yojimbo, etc).

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=zoshu]Although, most dub companies do a better job, but I'm a bit disappointed with most of the ones I've seen. Although, Fruits Basket was done very well. I just can't seem to remember who dubbed it....
[/QUOTE]

[size=1]Fruits Basket was very well dubbed, I think. It was dubbed by the company [b]FUNimation[/b]. Even though their voice actors are used often, I think each of them portrayed every character wondefully.

And the episode with Ritsu makes me giggle every time I watch it. :haha:[/size]

Guest AnimeRules15421
Relly I prefer a sub, but I will wach dub's hey It's still Anime.

[INDENT][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]AnimeRules15421, please remember to include more content in your posts. Since this is a conversation based message board, you will need to include more content in your posts that will aid in future conversation. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or the other Moderators. Thanks. -Arvi[/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]