OtakuBoards

sub or dub?

punk alchemist

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sir Drift-a-lot'][SIZE="2"] I prefer to watch anime/movies in their original language, so it's subs for me. I don't like most anime dubbing, the voices just don't seem to fit, in my opinion. There are some anime that I like better in dubs, but normally I prefer subs. =P [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Yeah that can be the case in some Anime. Like Kahaku in InuYasha. I don't know about the rest of you all but I thought his voive was way too deep for his character.[/color]

Im actually torn between the two. They both share aspects that really gives the character, well.. Its character.

More or less I could say that voice acting is almost the same as in singing, because there is a fine line between singing and just plain talking. With voice acting, the voice is either very colorful and clear when expressing emotions or is just sum dull robot. Do you know what i mean?:animeswea

Well, the bottom line is that in some cases the original voice acting is excellent (like Naruto) and there are other cases where the dubbing is truly awesome (like The melancholy of Haurhi and FLCL for example).

I think why most people like the subs is obviously the voice acting is better. It's because usually the [B][U]original [/U][/B] director of that series chooses the voices on how he pictures this series, which is often times a very good pick for a particular role.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Unless a dub is really bad I always prefer things in my own language. I like to multi task so that makes watching/listening to something a whole lot easier if it's in a language I understand. There are of course some that I really prefer the sub since the dub is bad, but those, at least out of what I've seen, are few and far between. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]I think as with most people here it's a question of the quality of the dubbing in English that determines how I'll watch a series. In older anime like DBZ, Zoids or Cowboy Bebop the dubbing is great and I'll happily sit down and watch them, but with other series like Bleach the voices are fake sounding or away from the spirit of the character I prefer subs for authenticity.

Another reason I watch subs is if a series in on-going I like to keep watching a series progress as quickly as possible. Reading a manga is fine and all, but Bleach's fight scenes are always more enjoyable with animated.[/SIZE]

I prefer dubs if possible. I like hearing things in my own language. I avoid subs unless the voices are awful or the translation is heavily edited. Though for stuff that's currently airing, subs are obviously the only way I'm going to be able to watch it. Bottom line though, I like watching the show instead of reading and watching. And if I'm trying to multi-task at all, dubs are a must since I don't understand Japanese. =P

• 2 months later...
I'd have to say subbing after what they did with Prince of Tennis' dubbing. But I guess it may depend on what you started out on. I started out with dubbing on alot of my favorite animes and didn't really care to watch the sub verison.

But then I started alot of my other fav animes ( like Gakuen Alice, Ouran, Lovely Complex, and Prince of Tennis)subbed and know I'm scared to hear the dubbed version because they are sooo great subbed(and american dubs killed PoT)! So subs are the way to go, specially when you don't want to wait for the dubbed.

• 2 months later...
[COLOR="Blue"]This is a tough one.
I mostly lean toward dubs, but I've recently been doing both.
For exsample, I'll watch the DBZ dub, then I'll watch the same episodes in Japanese.
But there are times when the dub is just PAINFUL.
At those times, I'd go for the japanese track.
The "Naruto" dub comes to mind. The dub is terrible. REALLY terrible. Which is kind of shame because they got some really talented people working on it. Steve Blume, Yuri Lorenthol, Chrispin Freeman, and a few others. But it's still bad.
Especially Naruto's voice.
But there are some dubs that I think are better than the Japanese tracks.
Namely, "HELLSING." That is one of the best dubs I have ever heard.
With me, it's a little bit of both.[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]I'm ADD so I tend to do a few other things besides watching TV while I watch TV so when I watch anime (with the exception of Sailor Moon) I watch it dubbed. A lot of the newer dubs have more of the original dialog and seem a lot less dumbed down than their 90's predecessors so I don't run into the problems I had with the DiC and CWi dumb downs of Sailor Moon Thank the powers that be![/color][/font][/size]

• 5 weeks later...
Oh this is an easy answer for me.

Subs, hands down. There are very few dubs that can actually pull it off nicely and truly capture the character, one of these Anime is actually the widely known [I]Full Metal Alchemist[/I]. Every character in the series is brought to life by the cast, as is [I]Ghost In The Shell[/I].

I can't take [I]Naruto [/I]seriously witht he horrible dubs, I mean the person who is the voice over for the troll that is Naruto is a huge smoker lady; sorry but I can't ever take that seriously.

Unless the voice acting is really bad (see Love Hina) I typically go for dubs. When it is in my own native language I can better pick up on things like emotional inflection, timing, and intent. Also, there has been an ever increasing number of American voice actors that I have grown to greatly respect for their acting chops.

That being said, when I have a DVD with both I will often go back and rewatch it with the original voices to see that actor's performance as well. So really, I get something out of both.

Subs, no question. Decent dubs are very rare to find. I guess I can see why slow readers would prefer dubbing, but I don't have that problem. Generally I'll watch an anime in dub with subtitles on when I first get it, just to see how they compare. I will say, that I'll watch dubs when watching an anime with other people up in someone's room or something. That way you can still talk, go get snacks, do other things..and still get the gist of what's happening in the anime.

In my opnion, it doesn't matter English sub or English dub so as long English-speaking viewers understand what's going on in the story. Therefore, both English subs and English dubs are equally okay.

However, it's up each viewer to decide for himself/herself whether to watch an Anime subbed or dubbed.

i usually go with dubs, but thats just because i usually see a show in english first. it bothers my friends that i wait for the english episodes of bleach to come out, cause theyre [I]way [/I]ahead of me. i just cant bring myself to watch with the japanese voices

[quote name='goldenboy']i usually go with dubs, but thats just because i usually see a show in english first. it bothers my friends that i wait for the english episodes of bleach to come out, cause theyre [I]way [/I]ahead of me. i just cant bring myself to watch with the japanese voices[/quote]

I find myself in a similar position but since I don't have cable I have to wait for the DVDs to come out on netflix. As such I haven't even finished the Bount arc yet.