OtakuBoards

sub or dub?

punk alchemist

In the beginning, I hated to watch subtitled animes because I couldn't stand how the voices sounded. They just seemed to hurt my ears. But after awhile, I got use to the voices and it didn't bother me so much anymore. HOWEVER, some animes I can only watch in subtitled form and some animes I prefer to watch in English because they just sound better to me. I mean, take Fruits Basket for example. I think I lasted two maybe three seconds in the English format before I quickly switched to subtitles. It was just awful!!! None of the voices seemed to match their character at all! I also agree with those of you who have favorite English voice actors like David Kaye (Sesshomaru) and Crispen Freeman (Cougar, Amon, and Alucard). I can't imagine listening to these characters in Japanese. It would probably change how I like the characters and make them less appealing without the sexy voices.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=DarkRed]I suppose it really depends on how well the anime is dubbed. Like, I love the English Fullmetal Alchemist- could not live without it. And because the dub is so good, I probably never will watch the Japanese version, as I am content with the English.
But, on the other hand (here comes the rant) if I see any anime translated into English by 4kids Entertainment, well, then one can be absolutely certain that I will need the Japanese version (even though I haven't the slightest as to where to get it.) Sure, the crappy dubbing they do gives me a good source for a rant (I do love to rant, you know) but I do hate it with a passion. I am ashamed to admit that I have actually watched the dubbed version of Shaman King on TV due to the fact I'm obsessed with the manga and am desperate for Shaman King (Shounen Jump comes out too slow! :animecry:) I bought the supposedly "un-cut" Shaman King DVD's and really, they aren't that different- they still have the crappy dub names!:animeangr
I do agree, though, about the voice issue. My friend has the... What? second? InuYasha DVD and, after we watched it in English, we decided to watch it in Japanese and Sesshomaru-kun's voice just doesn't fir him... But on the other hand (back to the Shaman King issue) I would love to see the Japanese version as I've heard that the voice actors are better. (I really hate Faust-kun's voice in the dub. For some odd reason, the first time he appears, they give him an unbelievably obnoxiuos voice, and the second time he appears, he has a different voice actor. Does that make sense to you people?)((At least the second time, his voice was a bit more fitting...))[/COLOR]

[size=1]Sometimes I really can't understand why people don't like dubs -- they're usually pretty well done, so long as you don't get some shoddy fan-done version of one. It's a whole lot easier just listening than reading, as lazy as that sounds.

However, there are instances where a sub is leagues better. For instance, I was recently watching some anime about the Greek Gods, and it was subbed, and it was bearable. I later watched the dubbed, and I couldn't deal with it. The voices were out of sync and didn't really match up with the character either.

The only requirements I have for subs is for them to be accurate and legible.[/size]

I'm very middleground about the sub vs dub issue. You will always get terribly done ones of either (4Kids, I'm looking at you) and I've nearly torn off my eye while listening to a bad one. I've also felt like gouging out my eyes with some terrible subs but that is because Japanese, in particular, doesn't translate into English like English does to other languages.

Ah yes, the ever controversial sub versus dub debate.

I believe both have their pros and cons. There are many awful dubs out there ( example: most if not all things done by 4kKids), and there are also some sub par subs on the market also. I don't have a problem with a dubbed anime. If the dubbing isn't bad, I'll definately watch the dubbed version. There are many anime that have a good job on the dubbing situation. Like some previously stated, Fullmetal Alchemist has a nice dub. Ruroni Kenshin, Trigun, and Samurai Champloo are all examples of great dubs. Subs are also nice in the instance that a person in allowed to hear the original voice actors, and things like that.

The con of a dub is having a cruddy one, thus maybe ruining the series for you. The con of a sub is that some people don't enjoy having to read the bottom of a screen, then rush to catch the facial expresions of the characters, and the actions occuring.

For me, I like both, but I'd take a sub anyday. Something about just having the anime in its native language just appeals to me. Not to say I won't watch a good dub. I'd watch both, just because I enjoy both.

[size=1]I think there are two huge dangers with subs.

First is the font it's in. I read two hours worth of thin, one pixel outline, scrawled, cramped text. It was a nightmare, and it really ruined the movie for me -- shame, because it was supposed to be at least decent. The second is the accuracy of the translation. Obviously, if it's fan-made, there's a higher 'risk' to the translation being off, and I've missed many, many jokes in anime due to poor subbing. Often times it's when the sign of a building isn't translated to english characters, and people laugh at the sign.

The only real solution to the whole subbing thing is to just get an official sub, which pretty much ensures quality.[/size]

[COLOR=#656446][SIZE=1][quote name='hey_love][size=1]Fruits Basket was very well dubbed, I think. It was dubbed by the company [b]FUNimation[/b']. Even though their voice actors are used often, I think each of them portrayed every character wondefully.[/size][/quote]Signed! Shigure's voice in that dub sounded remarkably like the Nihongo Shigure, and Uotani's and Ayame's voices matched the characters perfectly.

[b]Sub or Dub?[/b]

With legions of companies subbing and dubbing often the same anime, there's always the chance of bumping into a below-par interpretation of the series and an equal possibility of chancing upon a good one. In some instances, one'll have watched a good sub and then a bad dub or the other way around, so he/she says: "Ah, sub/dub must be better".

I guess what I'm trying to say is one can't always generalize about subs or dubs being second-rate to the other. I had my fair share of the good and bad of both, and have come to realize this truth:

[b]As long as they don't mess up the story, I'm all for both.[/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Subtitle all that way. I don't the fact that they use american voices to dub the anime but sometimes they pick the wrong people for the wrong characters...and that is an annoyance. However eventually you will be able to watch whats going on while read whats being said..So don't worry the skill of a true anime fan will come in time

[quote name='Suicide Jury']the skill of a true anime fan will come in time[/quote]

I tend to find that the attitude of Anime elitist to be, at the best of times, annoying. The concept that watching the unofficial version of something will make you more of an Anime fan is something I can no longer get my head around.
I understand if the purpose is simply to enjoy something that would otherwise be chopped up and censored beyond recognition, but the majority of "subbies" make their decision based on the idea that "all subs are better than dubs". I find that basing one's decision on prejudice of any form to be a sign of ignorance, and this situation is no different.

I'm with Delta on this. I can't watch censored material and enjoy it to the same extent as the original, but a translated adaptation is perfectly fine with me.

-Arvi

[color=#4B0082]I think that quoted bit was referring to the skill of being able to read subtitles while also keeping an eye on the action in general. I don't think his post had anything to do with fansubs in particular. In other words, if you're a real fan of anime and like the Japanese voices better, you'd be willing to put some effort into getting used to reading the subtitles. That's the impression I got from the post, anyway.

Myself, I prefer Japanese voices with subtitles for a vast majority of the time. Most of the dubs I've heard have been, in my opinion, mediocre at best. Though there have been a couple I've liked; Gunsmith Cats, for example, had a good dub. And on the other hand, the dub for Tenchi Universe made me cringe.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']I think that quoted bit was referring to the skill of being able to read subtitles while also keeping an eye on the action in general.[/color][/quote]You're probably right, and I probably read it strangely. In fact, the skill of reading fansubs while still watching the animation is something my friends and I have talked about in real life.

But my comment still stands, even if it isn't specifically directed towards Suicide Jury. There do exist people out there who stereotype and prejudge dubs. I know this first hand because most of my friends do this, and a few years ago, I used to readily denounce every dub in North America.

It took me a few years to learn about the dubbing industry and the history of Anime dubs, but the new information really changed my mind. I like to think of myself now as a little less ignorant and a little more open minded.

-Arvi

While Tenchi Universe's dub hasn't aged very well, Petrea Burchard is the one & only Ryoko for me. That's partly nostalgia talking--but I really do love her voice. It's too bad she isn't in the third OVA.

This is always a dicey thing to bring up, but I have seen a few dubs that (in my opinion) surpassed the Japanese version. Koi Kaze comes to mind first. Even though Koshiro's seiyuu had an interesting quality to his voice that I liked a lot, the English performances for all the characters were consistently amazing. It's possibly the best dub I've ever heard.

I don't think Fullmetal Alchemist is necessarily [i]better[/i] dubbed... but although I've been watching the DVDs subbed, I find myself enjoying the English vocals more. Of course, it helps that the show plays out like a veritable who's who of English dubbing. Dubbing tends to be a regional thing, but FMA brought together prominent voice actors from pretty much every part of the country. If I remember rightly, there's one episode in which both Johnny Yong Bosch (Kiba in Wolf's Rain, etc.) and Carrie Savage had cameos. It was really awesome to hear such recognizable California actors in a FUNimation dub.

Kodocha is another recent & excellent Funi dub. All of you who profess to like Fruits Basket should give it a try. Not only is it from the same director, but the female and male lead characters are played by the same dub actors who played Tohru and Kyo in Fruits Basket!

~Dagger~

Kodocha won the "award" for best dubbing in the Anime Insider magazine, narrowly beating out Naruto.

:animeshy:

[INDENT][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]KatanaViolet, since this is a thread about subs or dubs, and you had nothing about that in your post, your post was off topic. In the future, please try to stay on topic and add more content to your post to add to the covnersation. Thanks -Arvi[/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]

When it comes to animes like Naruto, I like itsubbed, because the voices in the dubbed version doesn't really match the ones in the subbed originals. but when it comes to ones like Dragonball Z/GT and Fullmetal Alchemist, i like it better subbed, I don't know, maybe im used to the voices more. Maybe it's me.

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Well, the only way I can see on which one you would like the most depends on which one your used to more, (which does slightly contradict the point but who's counting). I though that I liked subs more, since whenever I saw subs turned into dubs, although I am not just singling one certain anime out, I just always found subs better.

However in another case, when I first began to watch Full Metal Alchemist, it was already dubbed on Adult Swim so having absolutly no reason to search for subs I just watched it there. However, when I watched a subbed version of a Full Metal Alchemist movie I really didn't like it. It wasnt just the subtitles that made me not like it though, the voices just seemed not to match how I saw them.

So as Delta said in better words. I just don't care as long as I see anime![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Dagger']While Tenchi Universe's dub hasn't aged very well, Petrea Burchard is the one & only Ryoko for me. That's partly nostalgia talking--but I really do love her voice. It's too bad she isn't in the third OVA.[/quote][color=#4B0082]Ryoko's was about the only voice I didn't dislike. Unlike most of the others (especially Ayeka's), it didn't feel like I was scraping my fingernails against a chalkboard whenever I heard it. Though oddly enough, I like the dubbed version of the ending theme. . . . I guess they sing the parts better than they speak them.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest D. Resurrected
american Dubed or subtitled.personaly I think there is a place for dubed and a place for subtital.Though Id have to say overal subtitles becuase it saise what there actualy saying and give some animes in my opinion{Ghost in the Shell 1 @ 2} a more culteral feel to it. :animesmil

[color=#4B0082]*merge* - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

[FONT=Garamond]i would have to agree with you . there are things that need subtitles for the real deal (or they need subtitles just to get rid of some voices) and things like FLCL is great with out subtitles and american accents. For example Naruto the new series (well there not that new now but still) on toonami really needs subtitles for the fact that im tired of naruto saying *retarted voice* BELIEVE IT! you know well we all have our opinions now dont we[/FONT]

[FONT=Garamond]dont worry i cant spell either[/FONT] :animesmil

[COLOR=Blue]The great debate that really has no definitive answer to it. Well either way this topic will always go 50/50 it's really a matter of one's preference. I personally perfer watching my anime subtitle, I guess one would say I'm a purist at heart. Mostly the reason I perfer to watch it is, because I really don't need the subtitles to understand what's going on for starters. Then well sometimes with dubs things can tend to get lost in translation. Certain jokes and just phrases in general don't translate well in english.

But every once in awhile there are certain cases where the dub has actually been better then the original version. Umm for starters I think the english dub of Cowboy Bebop actually was a better version. I felt more emotion coming from the english cast then the japanese. Then there are certain times that I stopped watching an anime just because of the english cast....I'm not hating on 4-kids but...they do a real bad job and in many cases forced me to find the alternative japanese versions of shows like One Piece and yugioh to really tolerate what's going on.

So exceptions to the rules do apply, almost 95% of the time I'll watch an anime in Japanese first. Then switch over to the english dub if it's available on the disc the second time around to compare.....but usually I ended up just sticking to subs afterword. [/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Alchemist1080']When it comes to animes like Naruto, I like itsubbed, because the voices in the dubbed version doesn't really match the ones in the subbed originals. but when it comes to ones like Dragonball Z/GT and Fullmetal Alchemist, i like it better subbed, I don't know, maybe im used to the voices more. Maybe it's me.[/quote]

Despite the fact that the Naruto dub voices all fit the characters and that Dragonball Z/GT are heavily censored hackjobs? ;)

[color=dodgerblue]Out of every dubbed and subbed series that I've ever watched, I've always preferred subbed. I don't mind if I have to read the subtitles and such, matter of fact if it's via DVD/Video/youtube then I can just pause it to take in more detail, but I just tend to hate dubbed voices. Dubbed anime such as Naruto, One Piece and Samurai Champloo, I just couldn't stand the dubbed bits. I even disliked the dubbed Dragonball Z and Pokemon, lol. Perhaps it's just my dislike of the American accent associated with some of my favourite characters, but yeah, in the end I prefer subbed.[/color]

[quote name='bellpickle][SIZE=1]Foreign live-action movies, however, I [I]always[/I'] watch in the original language. Watching live-action movies dubbed just feels too unnatural for me to properly enjoy it.[/SIZE][/quote][color=#b0000b][size=1]I agree with bellpickle. With anime, I don't really have a preference on sub or dub, and when I have a choice, I usually end up watching it both ways eventually.

But any live action film needs to be subbed. Absolutely.[/size][/color]

It depends on the anime I guess, most anime I watch I actually like the English version, but sometimes you get a butchered version and it just sounds terrible. I'm happy either way as long as we either get good VA's or good subtitles. Although the reading of subtitles sometimes distracts you from what's going on so that's not good.

I like either one, but eac hone has its weakpoints too. I like dubs if there good like Cowboy bebop or like trigun. However some dubs like Naruto arent that good. I just dont like the voice for Naruto, I think they could have done better. An d as for sub there fine if they dont mess up the texts....for those of you who have seen Tekkaman blade, you know what I mean :animesmil

[quote name='Slade']However some dubs like Naruto arent that good. I just dont like the voice for Naruto, I think they could have done better.[/quote]

I agree they could do better with Naruto, but Naruto has [I]spectacular[/I] dubbing compared to One Piece, Shaman king, and pretty much any anime unlucky enough to be on Fox. Luffy sounds like a 12-year-old who smokes too much, and most Shaman King fans can never forgive them for changing Hao to Zeke. *shudders* Most shows on Adult Swim have decent dubbing, and I usually end up preferring those dubs. Subtitles don't bother me at all, though. I usually go on a case by case basis.