OtakuBoards

Favorite Video Game Theme Songs

Riku

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]I know that there are some good theme song for games out there, so I wanted to see which ones you guys think are the best or just your favorites. It could be any song from a certian game. Tell us what the song is, what game it's in and why you like it so much. I guess I'll start first...

FF X: Otherworld- The one thing that I really like about this song is the awesome guitar solo in it. Everytime I listen to it, it makes me want to bob my head up and down to the awesome beat. The words are awesome and the music makes you want to jump all around the room. This is probably the only metal-like song I'll probably ever listen to. And the beginning movie to it was pretty snazzy, too.

Kingdom Hearts: Simple and Clean (Remix and Original)- Just listening to this song makes me all fuzzy inside. Everytime I hear the music, I want to sing to it because I love the techno-y sound to it and the fact that the song is fliiping awesome. I also like the original version to it because it doesn't make you want to dance to it, but it makes you really think about the words of the song. Needless to say, everytime I hear the original version, I always remember the ending of KH. It makes me so sad. But, this is my most favorite song of all time. If you saw me walking down the street, I'd probably be humming it out loud.

n.n[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[U]Eyes on me ff VIII[/U]: I LOVE "Eyes On Me". The lyrics of that song just go with the game perfectly. It?s really romantic (even though I?m not really a romantic type person). I love that theme song. (The in game version not the techno) The flute (I think its flute) solo I really like as well as the intro. (Because I can play it and it sounds awesome)

[U]Final Fantasy 7 (Video game and Advent Children Versions)"Main Theme" and "Aeris' Theme":[/U] Ahh how man times I have listen to Aeris' theme and tried to duplicate it on the piano. The melody is just really relaxing to me. I can?t be angry when I?m listening to that song. The Main theme just gets me going off my lazy but to do something with my time other than go on the Net :P. The song gets repetitive but I love it. They sound alot better on the advent children sound track. No more Midi's!
:animesmil

V_Fox

My favorite is either the Legend of Zelda theme or the Super Metroid theme. Both songs are video game classics, and they get you in just the right mood for the game. The Super Metroid theme in particular is just perfect for the type of game that Super Metroid is... I love that soundtrack so much. It's amazing. :)

[COLOR=DarkRed]Frog's Theme from Chrono Trigger. No question in my mind, this is the best song from a video game that I have ever heard. This was the song that I would actually pause my music and turn up the volume to listen to every time I figured it might be on. Always sounded kind of...noble to me. Which I guess is appropriate.

For that matter, I love most of the Chrono Trigger songs (used to sing along to the Gato theme). Great place to go for remixes of songs from most games: [URL=http://www.ocremix.org]OC Remix[/URL] [/shameless plug][/COLOR]

Besides all the classics of Zelda and Mario, I'm going to go with a couple that I've had on repeat lately:

[B]Silent Hill 2- Laura's Theme[/B] is a very nice track, mellow but sort of upbeat. I really love Silent Hill music in general but this is one of the more "rock" ish tracks. It's non-vocal but still amazing. It's just so...relaxing really. I mean it has that rock feel without being overbearing. I still haven't played this game though but the music from it really makes me wish I had.

[B]Chrono Cross- Fragments of a Dream[/B] Just a simple music box tune to the CC theme. Yet it remains one of my favorite songs ever. It honestly sounds like a real music box, they really did make music boxes of it actually. It was perfect, in my opinion, to play at the "Fin~" screen and even without having just beaten the game, is still nice to listen to. Most CC music makes me recall good memories too and this one does.

[B]Final Fantasy 9- Loss of Me[/B] Another mellow song, medium paced and only piano. But it's absolutely beautiful and very sad sounding. It was a sad part of the game too and you can really feel that from the song. I wish I had the whole soundtrack.

So, those are my three. There are tons more but well, that'd be a long list ^_~

[color=#4B0082]Can I choose the entire Final Fantasy IX soundtrack? The game is filled with wonderful pieces of music, and this is probably the best game OST I've had the pleasure of listening to.

In the way of vocal themes, FFIX's Melodies of Life would be my top pick. I really like the gentle, flowing rhythm of the song. It has a very relaxing and cheerful feel -- perfect as the game's ending theme, and wonderful to listen to by itself as well. The translated English version is also really well done.

For a straight musical theme, I've always been in love with the Dark World theme from Zelda: A Link to the Past. The sound quality might not be the best, being an old SNES midi, but the theme itself is quite solid. The orchestral version from the Zelda: Sound & Drama album, in particular, is amazing. It instills a very epic feeling of danger and adventure that far surpasses what the SNES could do with the original version.[/color]

I happen to be very fond of the soundtrack for Mystical Ninja starring Goemon on the N64. Maybe it's just my japan-obsession, but the opening theme and all the BGMs just make me happy. It all fits really well with the feel of the game. It's very Japanese...^_^.

I also like Time's Scar from Chrono Cross. I find myself listening to it a lot. It's just that cool.

[quote name='otakukev']I happen to be very fond of the soundtrack for Mystical Ninja starring Goemon on the N64. Maybe it's just my japan-obsession, but the opening theme and all the BGMs just make me happy. It all fits really well with the feel of the game. It's very Japanese...^_^.[/quote]

Mystical Ninja had an awesome soundtrack. It really helped the mood of the story it was also the best part of the game. Its to bad the PS2 version never hit the U.S.

[color=darkred]In my opinion most of the best video game soundtracks come from retro /older games, many of which have been mentioned already, like Super Metroid, LoZ, and a few of the Final Fantasy games.

My favourite one comes from Final Fantasy X; Zanarkand Ruins. I'm usually into loud, fast, dance music which basically lets me go wild and crazy, but I just find Zanarkand Ruins extremely soothing, particularly the opening of it. I remember going to the Zanarkand Ruins to level up in the game just for the sake of the music. It ran through battles too, which was pretty cool. I'm pretty fond of the piano main theme as well.

Metal Gear Solid for the PSX had some cool tracks as well. I love the boss music, along with the alert mode track... both tracks gave out a vibe beyond merely making you feel "tense" through out the course of the game. I even bought the official soundtrack CD o_O[/color]

Two of my favourite theme tunes are from MGS2: Sons Of Liberty, and MGS3: Snake Eater.

The former can make even the least patriotic of people (say, for example, me) feel a sudden burst of "Go America!", which is quite odd considering I'm not even American...

And the latter... oh, come on, what else could give a true 60's-70's feeling better than a classic James Bond-style theme tune, that even helps to keep you entertained during a long session of ladder-climbing?

I think one of the ZOE games had one that I liked also, but I can't remember which it was from or what it sounded like. Oopsie.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1]My favorite video game theme song would probably have to be the opening to Suikoden III. I believe it's titled [B]Exceeding Love[/B]. It works well with the beginning animation, and earned itself the #1 spot on my video game theme song music cd in my car.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest Umbrella
I've always loved all of the music in the Metal Gear Solid series. I like the album version of the Snake Eater theme a lot. When I first played the game I hated the song, it felt too James Bondesque for a MGS game. But it grew on me over time.

I really like [I]You're Not Alone![/I] from Final Fantasy IX as well. It's just a great beat, and the mood of it progressively changes - which I find cool.

Guest darkruler
i got so many it's ridiculous but here we go.

DARKRULER'S TOP 5

1. i stand alone (prince of persia ww) - i liked this song in prince of persia warrior within not only because my favorite group godsmack sang it but because it sounded so cool to hear it playing as u were running from the dahaka and the freakin music video that they made with it was bada**.

2. otherworld (ffx) - just loved this song i love rock and this song was original when i heard that some dude did it that worked with the creator i loved it even more because it's not everyday that u hear music from some dude probably doing it out of his garage and it's original and it sounds that good plus it when so well with the hardcore blitzball game going on at the beginning.

3. rhythm motion (ffx-2) - don't know why i like this song i think it's because it's got a good beat. not much else i can say i just know i love that song.

4. 1000 words (ffx-2) - this song was kind of a sad song and i may be considered a softy for listening to it but what can i say whenever i hear it i can't help but sit there and listen to yuna's beautiful voice. just love the song. (this is just between me and u nobody else know so don't tell okay.)

5. simple and clean (kingdom hearts) - last and my most favorite song of all that's why it's at the end of my darkruler's top 5 list because i love saving the best for last. this song has an awesome beat and went great with the beginning and end movie scenes if i had to play the whole game over again just to watch those scenes over again i would that's how much i love this song.

Hmmmmmm, Is such a topic worth my Awesomness? I believe so

[quote name='Endymion][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1]My favorite video game theme song would probably have to be the opening to Suikoden III. I believe it's titled [B]Exceeding Love[/B]. It works well with the beginning animation, and earned itself the #1 spot on my video game theme song music cd in my car.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

Ah yes; Also my favourite Video Game song outside of the soundtracks from Suikodens 1 and 2. I especially love Retrospection from Suikoden 2 because it is so sad though that might be the occasion that it plays in it.

[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]I've seen a lot of songs from different games, but I still can't believe that no one has put up this one: Sephiroth's Theme. I mean, seriously, this has GOT to be an awesome theme song that at least everyone has heard. It is totally awesome, especially with the Orchestra and the Opera. I like the way that the Orchestra plays and the way that the people sing it... it makes it sound totally creepy. As which Sephiroth is!! XD

Another song that I always listen to whenever I'm on my compy is definitely Scars of Time from Chrono Cross. That song has got the most awesome beat that just makes me want to do a lyrical dance to it, you know? It's like, that song is telling a story of everyone's past and future soon to come. Scars of Time is definitely a good song, hands down.

Come to think of it, video game music has made me come to like Orchestral music now, which is a totally awesome music genre. I love listening to Mozart and Beethoven all the time. The only thing that I would really wish for is that the Orchestra who played Simple and Clean and all the other KH songs would come here to the UK and hold a concert. I would save my money just to see that thing.

n.n[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[color=#333333]But there are just so many to choose from! Let's see, I'm not going to go into any specifics because that would be to hard, btu I will note certain games.

First and foremost is the classic and simple Mario music. That's right, I said it. Any music from any Mario game is generally above average (Double Dash theme song, Super Smash Bros. Melee). They're especially good when you get orchestrated versions.

Runner up would have to be Final Fantasy music. Songs such as the FFIX Battle Theme (another classic) and Underworld are part of what make the Final Fantasy series so fantastic.

Third, we have Zelda music. Who remembers Zelda's Lullaby or Saria's Song? The Zelda songs are amongst some of the greatest video game music out there and it really adds to the whole fighting enviornment getting you pumped.

That's about it, I think. The only other song I can think of is the DK Rap from DK 64. Come on, that song deserves at least a mention.[/COLOR]

The best video game theme song for me has to be One Winged Angel from Final Fantasy VII. I remember the first time I heard it I wasn?t just fighting to complete the game, I was fighting to stay alive long enough to hear the song. It just fits the game and the character of Sephiroth so perfectly by being dramatic and powerful. Every time I hear it I have to attempt to sing along to the words but I have no idea what they are, I?ll learn the real words one day.

Another favourite video game theme song of mine is Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy VI. I love the way the song changes as you progress through the fight, it adds a nice touch to the battle. The Black Mages did a version of this song and I think it?s even better than the original!

Nobou Uematsu did a really good job on these two songs, but then again he always does do a good job.

Also like Keyblade Wielder video game music has broadened my musical preferences. I like a lot more songs than I did before I started buying the Final Fantasy soundtracks, so I owe a lot to video game music.

[color=#4B0082]One Winged Angel is indeed quite the awesome song. I think it was the first vocal song to appear in the FF series; I remember it being a surprise when I first heard it. Previous to it, the closest song in the series would probably be the other that you mentioned, Dancing Mad, though I think that falls a bit short of One Winged Angel. Uematsu really outdid himself on this one.

Even better than the original One Winged Angel theme, however, is the [spoiler]Advent Children[/spoiler] version. If only for the increase in sound quality, I'd consider it better, though I like the faster beat as well. There's also some breaks and more variety in the vocals, so it doesn't become as repetitive.

And I'll attach the Latin lyrics to the original theme along with their English translation:[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']Can I choose the entire Final Fantasy IX soundtrack? The game is filled with wonderful pieces of music, and this is probably the best game OST I've had the pleasure of listening to.[/color][/quote]

I thought that I had already posted in here agreeing with you, but I guess not lol. FFIX's soundtrack is indeed awesome; it's up there with the Super Metroid, Ocarina of Time, and Chrono Trigger soundtracks as my favorite in gaming. The entire soundtrack is quality for sure. :)

Also, I'd like to mention Metroid Prime's soundtrack... holy crap is that ever awesome. I love it. :D

Best theme song?

[COLOR=Navy][B]Live And Learn - Sonic Adventure 2[/B][/COLOR] - Why? Because this is, quite possibly, my favorite song ever, which is saying something considering how much music I listen to.

First, there's the slammin guitar, complete with amazing solo. I believe it goes something like this!

bweeeeeoooooew! bwooww bwooww Bwuoww bwuoww buuowww buubuubuu buebuebue bububu bebebe bleow beedo bee bu ba bee doo doo dee bludalubludalebludelebleedlee bwow! Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah! blew-do deow-do bleow-do deew-do dueew! dudluoo! dudluoododloododlododloodoodeuw! blewdleoodoo blewdoo blewdloodoo blewdoo blewdoo dedoo!

Then, there's the totally rockin' eighties style vocals.

And, finally, the great lyrics...

[I]Can you feel life movin' through your mind,
Ooh, looks like it came back for more!
Yeah yeah yeah!
Can you feel time slippin' down your spine,
Ooooooh, You try and try to ignore!
Yeah!

But you can hardly swallow,
Your fears and pain.
When you can't help but follow,
It puts you right back where you came.

Live and learn!
Hanging on the edge of tomorrow,
Live and learn!
From the works of yesterday.
Live and learn!
If you beg or if you borrow,
Live and learn!
You may never find your way.

Whooooa, yeah!

Can you feel life tangle you up inside?
Yeah, now you're face down on the floor!
Oh!

But you can't save your sorrow,
You've paid in trade!
When you can't help but follow,
It puts you right back where you came.

Live and learn!
Live and learn!
Live and learn!
Live and learn!

Hey, whoa, whoa,
Oh yeeeeeeeeeeeah!

-INSTRUMENTAL-

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!

-INSTRUMENTAL-

There's a face searching far, so far and wide.
There's a place where you dream you'd never find.
Hold on to what if?
Hold on to what if?

Live and learn!
Live and learn!
Live and learn!
Live and learn!

Live and learn!
Live and learn!
Live and learn!
Live and learn!
You may never find your way.[/I]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I remember back to those sonic days. Infact I still have it on my dreamcast. Yet although its not out yet I still have to say that Passion from Kingdom Hearts 2 has almost got me addicted to the game even more. Not to mention Zelda music, it may have been old but hey its still cool anyways. I dont know why I think this but I think that just about every game from super smash brothers melee is pretty much cool. Why? because nintendo makes cool music..[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Metroid Prime's soundtrack is awesome while you're playing the game, but I don't think the music holds up quite as well on its own. It's certainly above average still, and there's a few tracks I listen to pretty regularly (VS. Hive Totem, Ice Valley, and Ending Staff Roll for the most part), but most of it really needs to be accompanied by the game's settings.

The boss themes, with a couple exceptions, are a good example of that. Take the VS. Thardus theme; it's okay by itself, but a bit slow and repetitive. When you're actually fighting that huge, hulking rock monster, however, and dodging for your life to avoid being literally rolled over, it makes things seem a lot more tense. I find this true of most of the game's themes -- they don't seem overly impressive to me by themselves, but they add a lot of atmosphere within the context of the game.

Oh, and Chrono Cross's soundtrack should be put right up next to Chrono Trigger's. Anymore, I consider them to be pretty much equal, SNES quality midis in CT notwithstanding.[/color]