OtakuBoards

Bleach Manga [Warning: Spoilers]

Guest Juice Boy

What was the point of this chapter. Nothing happens, it's just a bunch of talk (most of it garbage) and very little, uninteresting action. I am tired of build up chapters, I am tired of characters acting very uncharacteristically, and I am tired of waiting for the revealing of all the shikai and bankai that have yet to be shown. I am pretty unhappy that the Vizard have at least 11 releases that have yet to be shown and we don't even know all of the bankai from the 13 Captains yet.

I am kind of feeling like this story is watered down by to many characters. The number of good characters is just so overwhelming compared to the number of evil ones it's kind of ridiculous. Especially when only the top 3 Espada (Yammy doesn't count) seem to be worth a damn.

I was excited about Stark's release and really don't care about Soifon and Hachi at this point.

Gin talked... the highlight of the chapter. I almost forgot he was there.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you mean when it comes to these build up chapters. (One Piece knows how to do a real build up chapter.) There really hasn't been a great build up chapter for me since Ulquiorra's release. And even then, I don't know if I'd really call that chapter a build up either.

I also agree with you about the characters, especially the villains. There's a total of only 13 villains compared to a half million good guys. And out of those 13 villains, only 3 (4 possibly) of them has shown their worth. (Aizen, who hasn't done anything but you know he's superman, Ulquiorra and Grimmjow. Maybe Nnoitra.) Ulquiorra fought Ichigo like he was one of the top 3 espada, and the top 3 are fighting like crap. (Even though it looks like a feeling out process.) They're not showing why they're considered the top 3. Kubo messed Halibel up with that mirror/clone crap from Toushiro. Barragan's ability is as cheap as they come, yet he's not doing anything with it. Stark's fight was cut off before we can see what he can really do. I'm not really looking for deaths on the hero side, but I do wish for once Kubo make these 3 espada live up to expectations.

As for the chapter itself, meh, I think it was meant to kill the tension since Kubo tossed in that little bickering moment between Hitsugaya and Hyori.

Speaking of Hitsugaya, I want Kubo to actually have him go ahead and fight Aizen. What makes the idiot think there's going to be any type of difference from round 1? Go ahead Kubo. I double dare you.

[SIZE="1"]Also agreeing on the over-saturation of characters, bluntly we're going to end up with a bunch of half or quarter fights because there's just not enough panel space and development done on individual characters outside the very major ones to make stuff interesting. Of course I've complained before this arc of the story is taking entirely too long to get through to the point of almost implosion under it's own weight.

Even with the glut of current heroes we've still got Isshin, Urahara, Ryuken, Yoruichi, Tatsuki, Mizuiro, Keigo (assuming something happened with the last three) , Unohana and two VCs to see stuff out of as well as Ichigo and the main cast's natural development as stuff goes on.

Worse for me is that Kubo seems to have lost the ability to keep prior characterisations straight, where is this bastard attitude from Tousen coming out of ? Because it sure as hell wasn't even hinted at before, extremely loyal to Aizen and his vision yes, general asshat no.

Regardless as it stands we need to see a story progress at something more than fight, rinse, repeat.[/SIZE]

The action was nice, even if it wasn't the battle I really wanted to see. If Hachi's plan worked then the 2nd Espada is beaten... at first I did not like this one bit, but then I thought about it. Barragan's power is really awesome, and it deserves a high seat in the Espada and I think that is the [B]only[/B] reason Barragan was powerful. With his aging-fog-shield nothing can touch him, providing he has enough time to decay what ever is coming at him, so it's not necessary for him to have a super durable body. Soifon's rocket launcher does have the potential to deal some massive damage and Hachi robbed Barragan of his defense. If any of that is true it explains why Barragan's ridiculous power only landed him number 2, Starrk is too fast for him.

Anyways, I guess I just really want him to be dead so we can move one to interesting stuff with more interesting characters. Hachi's is a kido beast and was really awesome, doing better than a captain's bankai could. I don't like this back story that is coming, involving Soifon, Hachi, and Urahara.

Hopefully it will switch back to Starrk next chapter or, actually I wouldn't mind, going to see what is going down with Yammy.

I believe everyone is in the same boat as you, Lawliet. Too many fights with no progression, and people just want this stuff to move on already. The only way I want this to stall is if Aizen shows his bankai. As I've said before, I don't care who lives or dies, just move it along already.

- I really can't stand Soifon now. She's pissed at the vaizards because they have connections to Urahara.... OMG, hiefahoe get over it.

That's about it actually. Nothing really stood out in this chapter. If anything I feel that the chapter was a bit too preachy for me. Barragan keeps yapping about what his ability can do and I'm like "we know this already". It'd be different if there was yapping about an actual plot though.

So... this is the final battle? I mean, if Aizen wins and kills off (haha) the Vizard and Captains, or at least puts them in a situation where they can't battle, he can march straight to Soul Society and creates his King Key (totally forgot this manga had plot) unopposed.

If he losses here, and his forces are defeated (even if he manages to escape) the major threat is over. He can't return to whats left of Los Noches or he will be ambushed by four captains and the main character squad. Also Hogyoku seems to be damaged and unless its repaired, he won't be able to make armies of super powerful hollows. I think that the Arrancar are an important piece of his plan, otherwise he would not have created them. I suppose that he could go to Soul Society himself, since I'm sure he can create the key himself, but then he would be forced to fight all the remaining shinigami, main characters, and Vizard that remain. I don't think he is powerful enough to do all that.

So is this the "winter battle" that was lightly touched upon? This seems like a important point in the plot to be anything else and if it is, after its resolution... I see little reason for the story to go on.

[SIZE="1"]Don't forget that even if he wins in Karakura and manages to get into the dimension where the Spirit King (at least I think that's what he was called that time) resides he then has to fight his way through the Royal Guard and defeat them before he gets to commit his intended regicide. Honestly the likelihood that Aizen will actually win in Karakura has been so tiny for so long he must have some kind of gigantic ace up his sleeve but it'll probably be another 200 chapters before we find out what.

Switching to the anime for the moment, anyone else slightly surprised by the human looks of the shinigami's zanpakutou ? Lord knows we actually might have a slightly decent filler arc coming up.
[/SIZE]

No manga?

Anyway, as far as the anime goes the Shinigami are lucky to have Zaraki. He is a captain level fighter who doesn't rely on his sword at all. He has already proven that he can handle beating captains with their zanpakuto, so he should have no issues beating just the zanpakuto right? Yoruichi is pretty BA at fighting too and she doesn't need a sword.

Ichigo is totally reliant on his sword and if he didn't have a hollow mask to fall back on fighting Zangetsu would be disastrous. Maybe it would cause him to learn some new shinigami skills and refine his fighting style :)

Anyway, I don't really see why they are causing so much fuss about this. Yeah at first having your own powers turn on you would be surprising and a bit overwhelming but captains dodn't become captains just because they can use shikai and bankai. They should still be talented enough to battle their swords into submission, in my opinion.

I wonder who the main villain belonged too.

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Switching to the anime for the moment, anyone else slightly surprised by the human looks of the shinigami's zanpakutou ? Lord knows we actually might have a slightly decent filler arc coming up.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
I haven't watched the anime since Hisagi vs Fraccion. And I just kind of gave up on watching it on adult swim altogether. Outside of that one episode, I haven't really found the anime entertaining.

Anyway.. Human looks? More Zangetsu's running around?

[quote name='Lawliet']Anyway, I don't really see why they are causing so much fuss about this. Yeah at first having your own powers turn on you would be surprising and a bit overwhelming but captains dodn't become captains just because they can use shikai and bankai. They should still be talented enough to battle their swords into submission, in my opinion.[/quote]
Huh? I'm a bit lost here. Current chapter or anime?

[SIZE="1"]New anime filler. A lone zanpakutou spirit called Muramasa has separated the spirits of the Shinigami zanpakutou from their sword form and is leading them in apparently rebellion against their former masters. Like Lawliet says, Zaraki is going to come back and just have a ball. [/SIZE]

I"m finding the most recent chapters so so but slowly interest in the manga. I mean other than the Vizards coming into the equation cause in my opinion most of the Captains suck the fights in the recent chapters of the manga would be over quick.

To the person saying that Aizen might lose this "Winter Battle" I don't know he has the ultimate trick up his sleeve his Shikai which if you have seen it makes you see whatever image he wants.

So Barragan falls into the same category as every other typical villain that whines when you get the best of them. Man, all the Vegeta clones are really boring and bothersome now. It was fine during the DBZ days, and even then Freiza, Cell and Buu were also problematic when they whined about getting whipped. (Then top it off with them laughing once they launch another attack only to be whining yet again.) I really hope Aizen don't fall into this category when he meet his end.

I don't want Aizen to get beaten... for some reason I find it really hard to imagine him fighting someone for more than a few panels... maybe Yamamoto could put up a good fight. Now that I think about it... why is it such a big deal that he wants to be God?

I didn't like this weeks episode at all, I want explanations or good fights, and this episode had neither.

This weeks chapter was actually enjoyable, or at least I thought. But next week's is what I have been waiting for.

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE="1"]*Shrugs*

Seeing as we're basically just getting the replacement Ukitake/Kyouraku vs Primera fight I'm not going to expect a whole lot out of it. Love is probably my favourite Vizard so it was nice to see his shikai revealed.

Honestly Kubo needs to add a bit more drama, or try to keep his pacing tighter, single fight chapters are terribly dull.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
At first I was a bit iffy about Shunsui's ability.. (Someone at another forum made it sound like it's his bankai.) But having it be a double-edge sword made things really interesting. There was much going on than the typical fighting but, still the inclusion of a game made me more interested.

I hope it's not over though... Top espada losing against a shikai don't sit well with me and makes the espada even more overhyped.

[quote name='Magus']At first I was a bit iffy about Shunsui's ability.. (Someone at another forum made it sound like it's his bankai.) But having it be a double-edge sword made things really interesting. There was much going on than the typical fighting but, still the inclusion of a game made me more interested.

I hope it's not over though... Top espada losing against a shikai don't sit well with me and makes the espada even more overhyped.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Personally I didn't like the idea back when I first read about it earlier in the week, and having read the chapter properly today I still don't like it. Sure super-powered, double-edged children's games seems to fit Kyouraki and his general attitude, in the same way redirecting attacks fits Ukitake but I don't know, as powers go I was expecting something a different. Maybe it's just down to the fact I don't like the idea/haven't seen enough of it.

Agree with you though, Stark getting taken down by a shikai would be just lame.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1]I guess I liked it because it seemed to have added a bit of a thought process into how characters are to attack. (I may be jumping the gun a bit there.) It's nothing new (Yu Yu Hakusho did something a bit similar as well. I don't remember it too hot though.) but this type of stuff is what I need in fights right now to keep me interested, especially with it being fight after fight after fight. I like seeing characters think while fighting.[/size]

Edit:

I'm about to go on a rant here.

I know I said that this needs to move along, but not like this. Pretty much the top 3 was done in and we still have no idea why they were considered the top 3. Halibel being killed by Aizen... At least it wasn't Toushiro that did her in, but still I'm disappointed with this because Aizen interfered. (too soon) My biggest gripe here, though is Stark losing to a shikai. (What in the hell?)

Power rankings were tossed out the window long ago, but this also makes me wonder what was the point of involving the vaizards? What was the point of even creating the vaizards? All this battle really proved that Shinigami > Espada > Vaizards. At least that's how I see it. Honestly, with 2 captains who're vaizards, you'd think they should be able to beat Stark in a 2-on-1 battle.

If I didn't know any better I'd assume Ulquiorra was #1 because he fought like he was the top dog. If Stark, Hali, and Barry were actually vastolordes they were the biggest disappointments I'd ever seen. (I still like Stark and Hali but....)

This is Kubo's fault, giving me such high hopes on these characters and he didn't deliver. I'm not even sure if I really want to continue reading Bleach now. We'll wait till next week. Better be something real big to make up for the way the top 3 were portrayed. [/rant]

Aizen killing off his own people is dumb imo. What is the point of even bringing them along if he is going to kill them off later. Harribel might not have been the strongest fighter, but she was loyal and was able to fight on par with a captain and two ex-vice captain vizard. I can't see the logic in "team killing" when your side is so out numbered. Gin and Aizen better have some bad *** bankai and Wonderwise's release needs to be insanely powerful, if he still hopes to win. Even if Aizen can one-shot half of his competition I think that Yammamoto is still more powerful (and isn't suffering from any injuries).

[SIZE="1"]So apparently the last 50+ chapters involving the Espada and Karakura town has been for shits and giggles because Aizen has only been screwing around and the Top 3 have been woefully overestimated in their strength (which at least puts Hitsu back in his place as a second rate captain). Honestly I'm pissed because it's destroyed any character development outside of Kubo getting to show off a couple of new sword-releases and the Vizard's masks, all of which could've been accomplished equally with having made the Espada as powerful as they should've been.

Really everything after the Soul Society arc in terms of pacing has been off with Bleach, too much stuff not making sense, too much stuff being retconned later, too many asspull power-ups to justify them. One wonders if Soul Society is so dedicated to the protection of the human world why they don't just purge Hueco Mundo every once in a while seeing as VLs can be killed with shikai by one of the high level captains.

I'm expecting Halibel to actually survive, at least into the next chapter. She hasn't had her flashback yet and apparently they all have to have one of those before they die.

God damn it I'm really pissed off with this series now.[/SIZE]

[size=1][color=navy]"Sigh" nothing worth mentioning in this chapter either other than Kensei. I've never liked Mashiro since she arrived. Too bad WW did get to finish that punch. I would've enjoyed that greatly. (I know. I'm mean =p) I don't even know if I'm willing to wait to see the rest of the bankai's anymore though. The previous chapter was that disappointing. (I'm holding grudges)[/size][/color]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah, the chapter could've been wrapped up pretty easily in 5 or 6 pages instead of 19, though at least we've got confirmation on Halibel actually dying from Mashiro and a potential explanation for that ridiculous "3 minute" rule for the Vizard. That said, getting to hopefully see a chapter dedicated to Kensei is going to be good, even if it means we're only a little away from being whisked back to Hueco Mundo again.[/SIZE]

This chapter showed a different side of Aizen. This is the first time he has shown frustration and impatience.

I am excited that Aizen has run out of lackys and will soon be joining the battle. I hope that he starts by slicing up all the lower power captains that he has already proven he can take out in one hit... mostly all the small white haired children and giant dog-people. Then maybe move on to Hachi, so the injured people stay injured.

Gin needs a good fighting partner and I feel like Rose would be a good choice.

Tosen needs his head cut off, he is has been irritating me every time he shows up on a page.

Also I am very curious what is going on with Yammy. He is obviously doomed, seeing as his opponents are main characters, popular captains, and Unohana.

[quote name='Lawliet']Also I am very curious what is going on with Yammy. He is obviously doomed, seeing as his opponents are main characters, popular captains, and Unohana.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yammy is being saved for Unohana. It's going to be a relatively short fight to showcase why Ukitake and Shunsui (and by and large most Shinigami) can be silenced by her simply changing the tone of her voice, let alone drawing her sword.

Am I the only one who wants to see Chad evolve futher with his Hollow powers, maybe to the point of Human-Arrancarisation ? There's been too little explanation of his powers and Abuello for my liking so far.

Oh, interesting apparently once the Arrancar arc, and a smaller (filler) arc are done the manga is going to focus on Isshin and his background for a while. Here's hoping my former Royal Guard, former leader of the Shiba clan theory holds water.
[/SIZE]