OtakuBoards

Does age really matter?

Sayuri-sama

hey i thought i should start this topic because of something occuring in my life currently. just about a month or so ago, i happened to fall (yet again) for this guy i recently met. except, he not like all the rest. hes so sweet and hes got the most gorgeous green-gold eyes that are always changing color. lol! nomally i would like guys just for looks , then worry about personatlity, but this time its been different.i actually got to know him first and i just cant help it! i really like him. those eyes simply charm me! lol! but i recently found out hes about 4 years older than me, but hes a junior because he came from another country. my sister doesnt approve of it and she says hes too old for me. now question to you guys is this: does age really matter? i am wrong to like some one older than me?

Naw, I don't think so. You can find love at any age and with a person at any age. I fell for a girl a few years back who was three years older than me, I actually think we had a stronger bond between us because of the age difference. People can talk all they want about age and you should find someone within a few years of you, but in the end love conquers all, age included.

[quote name='Sayuri-sama']well actually im going to be 16 and hes 19. not too much of a difference i suppose but thanks so much for the advice!:animesmil[/quote]

At 15/16, I don't think it is a big deal. The only time I think age matters is when the gap is unusually large(like Anna Nicole Smith's marriage) or when it is a relationship involving children too young to understand sex(I'm not a NAMBLA fan here). Otherwise, age doesn't matter to me.

Guest Gun Preacher
Age does not matter i have liked and had many a girlfriends gone out with me and people would say that it was wrong but the fact that we cared for each other and diddn't really care about what other people think.

and 16 to 19 isnt that big a gap by now if he was 30 then i think age would matter dispite what i said earlier.

[COLOR=DarkRed]It should not matter. Someone is special to me and he is five years older than myself. He is 24 while I am only 19.

I think that 14 and below, you are too young to date, regardless of what age the won you like is. Once you are past your teen years, age doesn't really matter when it comes to love, but if a 30 year-old loves a 16 year old, then, that's just wrong.[/COLOR]

[color=dodgerblue]It really depends on the age of the 'younger' person, because with age comes experience and knowledge, so if you're say 14 and you're going out with a 17 year old, it can sometimes be okay. I guess the older you get, the more the age gap is accepted. Example: my parents. My mother is 17 years younger than my step father, yet they're happily married for 18 (almost 19) years, whereas they never got married until mum was 29 so it seemed alright. However, my mother was also 17 when she had my oldest sister, lol, so you can see how akward it may be. Four-year gaps may not even seem much, but when you're under 18 it can do a world of damage. And don't mistake lust for love, it's all too common and obscenely stupid. [quote]hes so sweet and hes got the most gorgeous green-gold eyes that are always changing color. lol! nomally i would like guys just for looks , then worry about personatlity, but this time its been different.i actually got to know him first and i just cant help it! i really like him. those eyes simply charm me! lol! [/quote] Why not be friends first? The best relationships start with a friendship, grows into an awesome friendship (such as best friends) and then becomes a partnership. When you're friends, you're equal, as it should be with all relationships. Just think about it before you run into anything, you're still young and more likely to be hurt.[/color]

Yeah, a 4 to 5 year gap shouldn't be much of a problem, and there's that long time for you to continue to grow and get to know one another to make the relationship much stronger and such. But I'd have to say that a 6+ would be stretching it, no matter how nice the person is, there's always those who take advantage of someone and it leads to something really bad.

I just found the guy of my dreams and he's going to be 20 this month, and I'm going to be 18 in May, not much of a difference there and its still being safe.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]
First off, love is blind. That's all there is to it.

Age is directly proportional to maturity. If you're on a different level of maturity than the guy, then it'll eventually bite you in the ***. Trust me, i know. I was on the side of the guy in a relationship like that. She was 3-4 years younger than me and it eventually got to me. I liked her at first, but eventually her childish personality got to me and i gave up. Age does matter in situations when we're younger, luckily age isn't such a big deal when you grow up. But right now, the notices are usually very noticeable.

Ultimately it's your choice, maybe you're mature for your age and he's immature for his age. Then you two would be perfect for each other! Haha.

Anyways, i wish you the best of luck. ^L^

Later.

[/COLOR] [/FONT]

well, in my opinion, i say that an age gap makes [SIZE=4]ALOT[/SIZE] of a difference, take myself for example, in the middle of my freshman year, i come across a girl, and i was like....

Leon: i could make a move, now.
friend: she's a junior, Leon
Leon: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so, i 've been trying, and it's not working, but we're friends though.........wait....... more like far off accomplices........ =/ im thinking of ignoring her, till i graduate. <_<

well there's your adivice.

thank you for your time.

Guest Stafal-chan
*shrugs* depends how old u are...i mean like high school wise ages i dun think senoirs should date freshman but i think lik sophmores and senoirs are okay and freshman and junoirs...but i dunno a friend of mine's parents are 8 years apart...

My parents are 10 years apart. That means when my dad turned 20 my mom was 10. If they fell in love then it woud be completely wrong. My mom married at 30 so my dad was 40 that is completly acceptable. If your to young than age does mattes but when you get older age diffrence isnt as serious.

I think age plays a very important role in a relationship. Especially in grade school. Your goals, ambitions and life experiences are going to be on different levels. I am not saying that a relationship with an age gap is impossible or a bad idea, but I think it needs to be considered carefully. There are always trade offs and compromises in any relationship and obstacles will arise. If an age difference is something you come across and you are willing to tackle whatever obstacle may arise from it then jump right in. :animesmil

[font=franklin gothic medium]I think age is less relevant when you're an adult, but it's pretty relevant when you're a teenager.

Teenagers mature very quickly over a short period of time, so even a couple of years can make a big difference. There's also the simple legal issue of a minor versus an adult.

However I think that (generally) age is something that each person has to make a choice about, although there are some obvious exceptions (a minor with an adult is always iffy, so I think it would really depend on the specifics there - a 17 year old and an 18 year old are obviously legally classified differently but it's only a year's difference and is probably irrelevant to most people).[/font]

Honestly I don't see a problem with it myself, but it's really more on yourself and him on how it works. Everyone so far has beeen talking about maturity, but one must remember that certain people mature faster then others. Hell I'm already more mature then some of my friends at work who are in their late 20's. Plus they do say girls mature faster then boys do anyway, plus they also live longer too, or so they say. At any rate I think it lies more in how you and him stack up. There are two different ways of looking at age; you can look at immdidiate, which is how long you've been alive, then there's relative, how old you act and think. Your maturity basically.

at 16/19 you might already be more mature then him, but that's not the point here. If you feel like the two of you are mature enough to explore a relationship, then more power to you for it. I think the only time age plays an issue is when the gap is unnatural (Differing once again to Anna Nicole and NAMBLA). at 16 and 19, there's nothing unnatural about it, and I find it perfectly acceptable.

If he's really as great as you say he is, and you really want to have something with him, then make a move. But don't just take the words of those here on this site, it's not our lives, so we can't make a decision for you. We can only say what we think should be done, or what we think is okay. I say, do what you want, and do what you think will make you happy.

[quote name='Sayuri-sama']hey i thought i should start this topic because of something occuring in my life currently. just about a month or so ago, i happened to fall (yet again) for this guy i recently met. except, he not like all the rest. hes so sweet and hes got the most gorgeous green-gold eyes that are always changing color. lol! nomally i would like guys just for looks , then worry about personatlity, but this time its been different.i actually got to know him first and i just cant help it! i really like him. those eyes simply charm me! lol! but i recently found out hes about 4 years older than me, but hes a junior because he came from another country. my sister doesnt approve of it and she says hes too old for me. now question to you guys is this: does age really matter? i am wrong to like some one older than me?[/quote]

Age doesn't matter as long as both are devoted to each other.

But truely I would say if it is a 12 year difference, I would say it matters, anything under is fine, anything higher isn't for me... ;)

I am with James on this. When you are an adult it really isn't an issue.

My husband and I have a 5 year age difference. When we first met I was 16 and he was 21. That is inappropriate for a romantic relationship and illegal. Needless to say we were just friends for those years I was jail bait. When I reached my twenties the age gap wasn't an issue. My parents have a 5 year age gap and my aunt and uncle an 11 year age gap. When you put that in terms of the older being a high school senior it's a bit disturbing as to what grade the younger would be in. :animeblus

Again, as adults the age spread is not an issue.

i i think that age does not matter as long as the people concerned are mature enough.

There's nothnig wrong with two adult with an age gap of 10 years beig in love, but if a teen goes out with a 30 year old, then it's not good. Because the teen is not mature enough.

Dunno why... i've got this feeling that i said something very stupid. :animeswea

Guest Metal Dragon
Of course not, because all that maatters is thet you love the person and nothing else. Plus, if age mattered, then I might've never been born :D

age doesn't really matter.
unless it's some HUGE gap,per say 13 and 19, yea, i would know,LOL.
but if he's only 3 years apart then that's alright.
maybe you should be friends with him first, then if things are steady,tell him
how you feel.
I mean, right now i really like this guy who's 15 and i'm only 13, all my friends disapprove saying i should find someone who's age is as mine, and my sis thinks the same. But i think, where the hell am i going to find someone so special as him?
only a few of my friends know, like 2, and they think it's wrong.
maybe that's how you feel, i suppose. hope i helped at least.

[font=Verdana][size=1]i thank you all for your well written and thought out replies. i do however, apologize for an extended leave of absence i have taken from the site! lol! actually on the topic of age i recently found out he isnt really 19. my oh-so-intelligent friend was playing a prank on just because she mortally hates the guy. oh well i hope to ask him my self soo enough! hope according to what i've heards he only really 17.! LOL!:animesmil hope its true. it seems lately there are so very few i can trust...[/size][/font]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=3]I really do not see a problem with age i am 15 and i willl not go out with a guy unless he is 17 or older.:catgirl: :love2:
My mom does not care. But the main question is, Does he mind that he is 4 years older than you.[/SIZE][/COLOR]