OtakuBoards

Is this possible?

Panache

[color=#4B0082]If they're just banned normally, then yes, they can still create another account with a different e-mail address. This usually isn't too hard to notice, however, and unless the person has shaped up considerably since getting banned the first time, they'll probably get banned again. But if they have improved and don't break the rules they're usually welcome to stay on their second account.

As Retri mentioned, however, an IP ban can be used to cut off someone's access to the site entirely. Those are usually used when someone just keeps registering new accounts without improving at all.[/color]

Guest poet of ice
well.. its creepy cause they can ban you from the whole computer the whole computer wont be able to assess it ! but... if you went on anthoner computer couldnt you just make a new account ??? hmm im confused too...

[font=Verdana][color=blue]You could make another account if you went to say, a friend's house, after being IP banned but you could not use that account from your own house. An IP ban works by keeping the user of that IP address from accessing the site at all so even if they did make a new account, they wouldn't be able to log in from the banned IP.[/color][/font]

[quote name='poet of ice']well.. its creepy cause they can ban you from the whole computer the whole computer wont be able to assess it ! but... if you went on anthoner computer couldnt you just make a new account ??? hmm im confused too...[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]That's true, but it starts to get to a point where it isn't worthwhile for the user.

How many computers are you going to register on, especially if you were to have only one at your home? Using OB on a public computer isn't particularly comfortable, afterall.

Moreover, these people are always easy to recognize. They make the same mistakes over and over again. So we can identify them anyway.

We can also perform network-wide IP bans. I can not only ban your computer from here, but also from theOtaku/myOtaku and all of our other sites. So we have a pretty secure and wide-ranging admin system.[/font]

If you were stubborn enough, you could buy a new computer every time you got IP banned too.

That's the real creepiness here, the notion someone out there woudl spend thousands of bucks to get repeatedly banned from a website is profoundly disturbing. Sorry for poisoning you fragile little minds...

[font=Verdana][color=blue]No, buying a new computer would not work. Your IP address is not linked to your computer - it's linked to your ISP so you could by a thousand new computers and still have the same IP address.[/color][/font]

[COLOR=#004a6f]Interesting. I spend a lot of time on OB on the computer labs on campus. The are 4 labs I can go to, with around 40 computers each.

It would be a problem of the person being banned kept on creating new accounts in public computers.

Let's say I got banned from OB, and my I.P was banned when I was using one of the school computers. Would that affect other people who log into that computer and try to access OB?

What would be done in the situation when siblings visit O.B? If one of them was banned and had his/her I.P banned too, what would you do to accomodate the other siblings?[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f]Interesting. I spend a lot of time on OB on the computer labs on campus. The are 4 labs I can go to, with around 40 computers each.

It would be a problem of the person being banned kept on creating new accounts in public computers.

Let's say I got banned from OB, and my I.P was banned when I was using one of the school computers. Would that affect other people who log into that computer and try to access OB?

What would be done in the situation when siblings visit O.B? If one of them was banned and had his/her I.P banned too, what would you do to accomodate the other siblings?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[size=1]I think public computers in the same lab would be within the same IP range, and would all be banned. Yes, it'd affect others using that computer.

And I don't believe OB makes any accomodations for siblings, as the cases are too few and far between. Theoretically, we could just ban the username, but they could create a new one, which is why we IP ban in the first place.

Basically, we kill 'em all and let the internet god sort them out.[/size]

[color=#4B0082]Yes, IP bans can affect people other than the specific one we're targeting. As mentioned, if they're on a public PC or there are others who visit in the same household, it can inadvertantly ban some people who would otherwise be fine. Which is why it's important to note that we only use IP bans as a last resort. They really aren't used that often, and when they are, it's when the problem's gotten to the point where the risk of inadvertantly banning a few others is insignificant. It can sound kind of heartless, but we're not about to let malicious members harass people and spam the boards unchecked.[/color]

[quote name='? Nomad Tical ?']I guess the mods took pity on me after a while because I am here now.[/quote][font=Verdana][color=blue]Either that or your IP address changed. When you get an IP address from an ISP, you get what's called a dynamic IP address. It will end up changing every few years or so, depending on the ISP. If yours changed after the IP ban, you'd be able to get back to the site.[/color][/font]

Well my buddy just told me about somethign called a static IP. So you can get banned then imidiately change your IP so you can keep coming back on. He himself said he thought of getting one. He might have one now. (he hates anime btw so he is not a member)

[color=blue]Static IPs do exist but they are not used in the way your friend says they are. A static IP is just that - static. It does not change. They are generally not given to home users and if they are, it is far more expensive than a dynamic IP so it's not worth it unless you're doing something in which your require that your IP does [i]not[/i] change.[/color]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]No, I don't think you understand what I'm trying to explain here. A dynamic IP address is the standard that an ISP gives you. You cannot change your own IP address - it changes itself every so often - around five years for me. They do this to make it more difficult to do things like host your own website without paying extra for the static IP.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]A static IP does not change and makes setting up a website easier but also costs much more. They're usually not bought for home users because the general home user does not really care what their IP is.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Right, which is why I did not try to give a set time that all dynamic IPs change. I gave mine as a point of reference for Comcast on the East Coast of the United States. I assume it's the same everywhere for Comcast but I can't give even an estimate for other ISPs in other places.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Retribution][size=1']Not if they were handed the almighty IP ban. This would prevent them (and everyone with a similar IP address) from ever logging onto OB again.[/size][/quote][COLOR=Sienna]

Not necessarily... many dial-up accounts use a system where they log into a different IP every time they dial on. I've experianced this elsewhere I've been IP banned but just reconnected and it was fine. Maybe my computer is just unique butI have about 3-4 different IP's that my computer cycles through. Not to mention IP maskers and changers.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Ziggy Stardust][COLOR=Sienna]

Not necessarily... many dial-up accounts use a system where they log into a different IP every time they dial on. I've experianced this elsewhere I've been IP banned but just reconnected and it was fine. Maybe my computer is just unique butI have about 3-4 different IP's that my computer cycles through. Not to mention IP maskers and changers.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Nevertheless, we can block anyone permanently if we want to. Not only is it easy to identify repeat offenders, but we don't have to block the [i]entire[/i] IP. We can actually block a partial IP, which automatically blocks anyone on that "IP string".

So even if you change IPs with reconnects, you can still be blocked automatically. There are many different ways we can control access to the site, at the end of the day.

And if IP bans constantly fail, we have a nuclear option that [i]never[/i] fails. :smirk: [/font]