OtakuBoards

Nintendo DS Lite

r2vq

I was sure that I talked about DS Lite on OB but I can't seem to find the thread.

Nintendo has decided to redesign the DS Lite. With all the same functions as the NDS, DS Lite is smaller, lighter, and sleeker.

The buttons are slightly repositioned (mainly Start, and Select), the power button has been moved to the side of the DS, along with the larger stylus. The GBA slot now has a slot cover, the microphone was moved to the hinge, and the buttons are now spring loaded.
Altogether, though, the biggest improvement may be the screen, which is brighter and more colourful. There are even four brightness levels to choose from.

My DS Lite story:
[indent]I sold my DS about a month ago, and I waited to preorder my DS Lite until last week, so I was number 29 on the list.
On the day that the DS Lite shipped out, the Electronics Boutique I got it from had only 28. >.< Luckily for me, the manager of the store had put himself on the list pretty early, but decided to take his name off so number 29 could get it. So now I am a proud owner of the NDS Lite.[/indent]

Has anyone else grabbed the Lite? Is anyone going to grab it? I hear it's still sold out in Japan. 8)

-r2

I have! I had a chance to play it early cause we havn't got it in the UK yet. I got to play it at a three day music festival I went to last weekend and they had a Nintendo comedy tent there. Basically it was lots of Nintendo stuff with a comedy stage with...nakedness, but that's for a different thread.

I was happy with the DS Lite, I was going to buy the original one but may as well wait for the Lite edition. The screen seemed sharper to me, I dunno if it was just my imagination or because the screen was brighter or not. It was also more comfy to hold for me. Also the actual color of the system was an improvent although that's not so important.

Does anyone know when it's going to be released in the UK? I have to get one ready for Final Fantasy III!

[COLOR=DarkGreen]I didnt find the original DS cumbersome at all. I wish I could say the same about the PSP(whichl needs a change in structure).After playing the LIte however I relizaed all the flaws the original DS had. The lite is downright comfortable and sexy looking. I plan on trading in my old DS and getting a Lite.How much are Lites selling for?

About the UK Flame I checked around but to no sucess since it just came out in the US. Im sure it will hit the UK shortly.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Im gonna get one. Sooner or later. If only beacuse it looks better. I imagine it will be similar to waht the sp did to the gba. So I have high hopes for it.[/quote]

Please don't post like this again or I'll simply delete it, as I'm prone to do. I know you can do better.

Moving on, of course I got mine right when it first came out. I traded in my old DS for seventy dollars and I'm really pleased with the upgrade. The slightly smaller size and reduced weight are nice and all, but I'm most happy with the dramatic improvement in screen quality. The lighting and the colors breathe a tremendous amount of life into the games. Everything is so much more vibrant and sharper than before. New Super Mario Bros, for example, is absolutely stunning. Fireballs just leap off the screen.

I also like the way the buttons feel, with the exception of the super small "start" and "select" buttons. Overall, everything about the system is very sexy; it's a dramatic improvement that makes it impossible for me to go back to the original DS.

[quote name='Flame_Alchemist']Does anyone know when it's going to be released in the UK? I have to get one ready for Final Fantasy III![/quote]According to Wikipedia, DS Lite will be released in Europe on June 23 2006 except in Sweden and Finland. Since it's a "red day" on the 23'rd, the Swiss and and the Finns will get it a day earlier.

[quote name='Hunter DX][COLOR=DarkGreen']How much are Lites selling for?[/COLOR][/quote]The DS Lite is the same price as the Nintendo DS.

[quote name='Charles']I also like the way the buttons feel, with the exception of the super small "start" and "select" buttons.[/quote]I was wondering if I was the only one who felt that way about the Start/Select buttons. They're pretty small and difficult to push, though I guess that isn't a really big complaint since all the other buttons feel great.

-r2

I'll be grabbing a DS Lite later this week I think, and I can pretty much blame Charles for it. He'd brought his DS Lite to my graduation party this past Sunday, which was my very first chance to check out the system.

And holy hell, it was incredible. The buttons felt great, the new look is perfect--the re-design came at a perfect time, by the way, with the Wii coming later this year...DS Lite looks like Wii's cousin, it really does--and the screen quality is unbelievable. The improvement was similar to GBA-->DS, which is pretty remarkable, I think, given that DS and DS Lite are basically the same system.

Gotta agree with Charles about the look. It is very sexy.

Incidentally, I think the look of the DS Lite alone will help the connectivity features we're undoubtedly going to see with Wii. Having an overall design theme will attract gamers, I hope. Cause I know it's attracted me already.

Of course, successful connectivity will largely depend on if Nintendo avoids making those major mistakes we saw with the GCN/GBA connectivity trainwreck, lol.

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I picked mine up the day it came out after preordering it maybe two days before hand. I must say, I really like what they've done with it. The fact that the GBA games stick out of the bottom bothers me but I guess that's the price you pay for making it 33% smaller and 20% lighter (according to Nintendo).[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Interesting story though. I got mine, brought it home, popped in my newly acquired New Super Mario Bros. Game and wouldn't you know it? A dead pixel. Neon green and on the top screen (I didn't mean for that to rhyme). This drove me insane but not to worry - I called Nintendo that night (Sunday). My new DS Lite arrived today.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Overall I'm very happy with it. It is a lot more comfortable, lighter, and brighter. Plus, I think it looks a lot better.[/color][/font]

[QUOTE=Papa Smurf] The buttons felt great, the new look is perfect--the re-design came at a perfect time, by the way, with the Wii coming later this year...DS Lite looks like Wii's cousin, it really does--and the screen quality is unbelievable. The improvement was similar to GBA-->DS, which is pretty remarkable, I think, given that DS and DS Lite are basically the same system.

Gotta agree with Charles about the look. It is very sexy.

Incidentally, I think the look of the DS Lite alone will help the connectivity features we're undoubtedly going to see with Wii. Having an overall design theme will attract gamers, I hope. Cause I know it's attracted me already.

Of course, successful connectivity will largely depend on if Nintendo avoids making those major mistakes we saw with the GCN/GBA connectivity trainwreck, lol.[/QUOTE]

The DS Lite is nothing short of astounding, especially for a portable system. a sleek design, brighter screen, and from what i've heard, an enhanced wi-fi web connection similar to that of the PSP-it's brilliant. i still have the old DS, but i might trade it in soon and get a DS Lite. then i'll just have to get some more games for it...

[color=darkred]The only thing stopping me from getting a Lite is the thought of splashing out on yet [i]another[/i] handheld, but judging from the positive feedback that it's getting from you guys, it seems like it wouldn't be such a bad thing if I did.

I sold my first DS around a month ago because I really wasn't happy with the design; my left hand developed a nasty cramp whenever I played it for long periods, and its bottom corners dug into my palms, creating an itching sensation. I'm glad to hear that the Lite is just about everything that the DS isn't, which is encouraging, and with the wave of new DS titles coming along, I'm drawn closer and closer to actually getting one.

And about colours, I, myself, would prefer a red Lite if it was available, but the Enamel Navy looks equally cool. Black looks the part, too, but my SP was black, so go figure. As for the Polar White, it just looks cheap and... plasticy[/color]

18,000 of the Black DS lites being shipped to Europe were swiped in Hong Kong.

[url=http://www.engadget.com,%20www.engadget.com/2006/06/15/the-curious-case-of-the-2-3m-in-missing-ds-lites/]Link 1[/url]
[url=http://games.kikizo.com/news/200606/088.asp]Link 2[/url]
[url=http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1150383252]Link 3[/url]

T_T Those poor critters. *[i]strokes my DS Lite[/i]*

-r2

[QUOTE=r2vq]18,000 of the Black DS lites being shipped to Europe were swiped in Hong Kong.

[url=http://www.engadget.com,%20www.engadget.com/2006/06/15/the-curious-case-of-the-2-3m-in-missing-ds-lites/]Link 1[/url]
[url=http://games.kikizo.com/news/200606/088.asp]Link 2[/url]
[url=http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1150383252]Link 3[/url]

-r2[/QUOTE]
Poor Nintendo, I do so hope they find out who did it. I'll probably buy a black market black DS, though. Kidding, but not really. The reason I do not want to trade in my DS and go Lite is because we only have white here in America. I do not like the look of the white, so I am hoping the Enamel Navy gets brouht over here eventually, or at least some other color to choose from. Until then, I'll stick with my Electric Blue handheld.

Hello everyone. I just wanted to let you know that I've come into a stock of 18,000 DS Lites. So, if anyone's interested in a good deal, feel free to private message me.

Just as a side note, I also appreciate the re-location of the microphone. It's so much easier to yell "Objection" now when playing Phoenix Wright (not that you should do that sort of thing in public).

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Just imagine walking down the street with your fly *** pink ds.[/quote]My girlfriend has a Pink DS and I had to use that for my DS games while I was waiting for the DS Lite to come out. ^^;; It has this pink hamburger DS case too. xD

-r2

[COLOR=#af992f][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Well ever since I saw the origional commercial for the DS Lite, I was rather happy since I had given away my DS to my younge cousin. (Our family has a kind of tradition of giving/taking hand me downs). So when I got a DS lite it felt like a breath of fresh air again.

So when I went to gamestop to ask for one. I expected it to be sold out or something like that but they had a plentiful stock of them. I think they may have had black ones but I just choose white because many of my handhelds seemed to have been a darker colors, besides it only made it seem that much more sexier than it was before.

So all and all, after I popped in New super mario bros. I think the first thing that impressed me was how much brighter the screen was. It seemed a good 25% lighter than the origional ds' back light was. Well that and the size of the Stylus were the two upgrades that I liked the most. I think I actually managed to break one of the stylus's from the DS. Yet much like Avenged666fold said, this seems alot like what the SP did for the GBA. Yet I love it so..now I must go and play it some more.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 months later...
[color=#4B0082]It seems that NOA is [i]finally[/i] offering some more colors for the DS Lite in North America. According to [url=http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=2376][u]N-Sider[/u][/url], the Onyx (black) and Coral Pink colors will be available on September 13.

But I still haven't actually gotten to play a DS Lite for myself, which is sad, 'cause I really want to try one out even if I can't afford one right now. And now I want one of those black Lites even more. :animecry:[/color]

[QUOTE=r2vq]

-r2[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Thank you for making my day r2vq. Now, about the DS Lite. Well, since it seems you guys are bragging on the Lite so much, that it seems i'm going to have to go out and get me one. And I have done a little more reading on it at Wikipedia(that place has it all), and now i'm even more impressed by the DS Lite. So...to Gamestop!!![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Those of you waiting for the Black Lite's are needlessly torturing yourselves. Black handhelds suck because finger print smudges are much more pronounced on them.

Black handhelds, such as my PSP have been forced to take their place on the back of my shelf.

[QUOTE=Charles]Those of you waiting for the Black Lite's are needlessly torturing yourselves. Black handhelds suck because finger print smudges are much more pronounced on them.

Black handhelds, such as my PSP have been forced to take their place on the back of my shelf.[/QUOTE]
I can attest to this. The smudges were dreadfully obvious on his PSP whenever he'd play it at Rutgers.

White DS Lite, all the way.

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Just picked up a DS Lite today after being driven to it reading other people's comments, that and my SP has started to dead-pixel so it had to go sadly. Generally I've very, very impressed, I'd always though the DS was a kind of spin-off to the GBA, but this seems to be a direct sequel without the GB name. The graphics are stunning in Animal Crossing, and the crispness of the colour is something I really wasn't expecting. The only thing that bugs me slightly is that my battery seemed to need charging after less than two hours of play, something my SP never does, even after all this time. Overall though I think this was certainly worth the cash I parted with for it.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Papa Smurf']White DS Lite, all the way.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Quoted for truth. White DS Lite pwns the black one.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Charles]Those of you waiting for the Black Lite's are needlessly torturing yourselves. Black handhelds suck because finger print smudges are much more pronounced on them.

Black handhelds, such as my PSP have been forced to take their place on the back of my shelf.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Seriously, I was always having to use that little cloth that came with the psp to keep rubbing off all the smudges that my fingers left behind every time I touched the thing. So, no doubt, white pwns the black.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Boo][IMG']http://img423.imageshack.us/img423/8867/whitepspeuropecx6.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Ah yes, the white psp. I haven't forgotten about it. But, I dont know where you live, but I live in the United States, and over here I dont think its available. And, if it is, i'm going to kick myself later.[/COLOR][/SIZE]