OtakuBoards

What grinds your gears?

Aberinkula

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]Am I suddenly that stupid?
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]If that were the case you would be blessed. The reality is that you have been at that level of stupidity for a lengthy amount of time.

I can only make assumptions off of your statements. If you want to appear smarter, word things more intelligently.

Talk about obvious.[/color]

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]
The only one getting anything out of it is that guy who jumps in, says stupid things and gets yelled at by others. He's just looking for attention and validation and gets it through making people hate him. And at the end of the day, he's laughing while a war without meaning is being typed out in front of him.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]Don't mind if I do. I think that we should go on a good, old-fashioned crusade. Of course, its not a very Christian thing to do, but then again, neither is being a Muslim. But I'm not calling this out on Muslims. I like those guys. They have a sweet culture. I think we should have Christians go on a crusade against aetheists and pagans. And pull out all the stops (this is, after all, the first crusade in a good long time). I mean, we should toss people in lakes to see if they're witches...cause that's cool. And in the case of aetheists, we should put them in a fenced-off area, with trees and tigers. If you're a monkey, you should retain the ability to climb, dufus!

Just fyi, I don't believe anything I just said...I just thought it was fun.

One thing that ticks me off is those dumbass guys in school who are only good at sports, who go on to college to be business majors, because its easy. They only go because they want to play sports. And then they think that life is still like in high school, and they still own everything. In that case, I generally like to put them in their place...by speaking such fouls insults to them, the likes of which they have never and never again will hear. The very words of Hell. I love those words...[/COLOR][/FONT]

So then why, why do we continue to engage in these discussions? The only one getting anything out of it is that guy who jumps in, says stupid things and gets yelled at by others. He's just looking for attention and validation and gets it through making people hate him. And at the end of the day, he's laughing while a war without meaning is being typed out in front of him.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=arial]I don't think that every discussion of this kind has to be a blind back-and-forth. It is possible - and probably preferable - to exchange different ideas if only for the purpose of hearing and entertaining alternative points of view.

I regularly have discussions with people who may be on the opposite side of an issue to me. The point of talking with them is not so much to convince them that I'm right, it is to share ideas and to consider how/why they came to their conclusions (and vice versa). No, they probably won't change my mind. But by discussing an issue I will gain a greater understanding (and hopefully, respect) for their position. At the very least it will provide perspectives that I may not have considered before.

So I would say there is great value to these discussions, it's just unfortunate when they get hijacked by unreasonable people.

Also, whether you are aware of it or not, your participation in such discussions does perpetuate the "cycle" that you apparently don't like. If you don't like such discussions you don't have to participate in them - this is the beauty of a message board, lol. And I mean this in general terms, for anyone who might be thinking the same thing (about religious discussion or whatever else).[/font]

[QUOTE=James][font=arial]I don't think that every discussion of this kind has to be a blind back-and-forth. It is possible - and probably preferable - to exchange different ideas if only for the purpose of hearing and entertaining alternative points of view.

I regularly have discussions with people who may be on the opposite side of an issue to me. The point of talking with them is not so much to convince them that I'm right, it is to share ideas and to consider how/why they came to their conclusions (and vice versa). No, they probably won't change my mind. But by discussing an issue I will gain a greater understanding (and hopefully, respect) for their position. At the very least it will provide perspectives that I may not have considered before.

So I would say there is great value to these discussions, it's just unfortunate when they get hijacked by unreasonable people.[/font][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]See: the rest of my post[/COLOR]

[quote name='James][font=arial']Also, whether you are aware of it or not, your participation in such discussions does perpetuate the "cycle" that you apparently don't like. If you don't like such discussions you don't have to participate in them - this is the beauty of a message board, lol. And I mean this in general terms, for anyone who might be thinking the same thing (about religious discussion or whatever else).[/font][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Don't get me wrong, I love participating in forum discussions. I have learned so much from them, especially here on otakuboards, over the years. I basically grew up in places like this, using these discussions. I love it. Even in this thread I learned quite a bit. As one who likes to find inspiration in things, I absolutely loved DeathKnights post just a while ago. Even if it was aimed to advise/insult me, i did take something awya from it, and I enjoyed it. I will always participate in this kind of discussion for posts just like that.

I think the thing that makes me say I hate this cycle... is merely that it has caused me, personally, to suffer in the past. I have found reliance in this cycle to the point that it contains me, and I feel like if it were somehow broken I could be freed. Who knows? It could be blind romanticism.

In any event, the cycle I speak of is a bit of beautiful terror. Kind of like freedom itself.

Now... I'm not going to claim that I am necessarily an 'upstanding' member of the cycle. I think I'm a little bit of all three parts. Here on OB I've always been known as the annoying guy. This is mostly because the times I've been most active on OB were times where I was in poor mental health and just wanted a validation of my existence.

But that's not so much what it is now. I'm not here making people look at me. In a way, I'm just here laughing at myself for being unable to leave -- I really don't think I can, and it's like... I no longer care about the people here. Wheras every opinion used to be important to me, now they aren't, so why am I still here? What am I getting out of it anymore? That's why my posts are falling out of the cycle. In that sense, I have become completely useless in this type of discussion.

But that's not about the OB, just these discussions. I still am a part pf OB as a whole. I still post in the music, anime, and literature sections like a normal person, and as you can see, my posts accel in those places. In there, I am a member of the cycle. But in these discussions, my part is no longer played.

That's why I come in here badmouthing religion and race and laughing at myself. Just for the mere fact that I am perpetuating uselessness.

And the only reason I'm posting in these discussions? I'm bored! That's all there is to it! I mean, the OB is so insanely slow these days, how could I not be? this isn't even my main forum anymore, I hang out at Megatokyo most of the time these days. It's like -- why SHOULD my posts make sense at this point?! It's not like you care, it's not like I care, it's not like anyone's being effected -- who cares?!

But I digress.

What REALLY grinds my gears is that every time I have typed a post today there was been a sharp pain in my left hand. It hurts like a *****.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]See: the rest of my post[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]

And the only reason I'm posting in these discussions? I'm bored! That's all there is to it! I mean, the OB is so insanely slow these days, how could I not be? this isn't even my main forum anymore, I hang out at Megatokyo most of the time these days. It's like -- why SHOULD my posts make sense at this point?! It's not like you care, it's not like I care, it's not like anyone's being effected -- who cares?!

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=arial]Uh...well, I think if people are trying to have a regular discussion they care. Especially if you portray these thoughts as being things you actually believe.

In any case, there is nothing wrong with posting due to boredom...afterall, OB is here for relaxation/entertainment more than anything, haha. Just don't be surprised if people misinterpret you if you aren't being serious. ~_^[/font]

[QUOTE=James][font=arial]Uh...well, I think if people are trying to have a regular discussion they care. Especially if you portray these thoughts as being things you actually believe.

In any case, there is nothing wrong with posting due to boredom...afterall, OB is here for relaxation/entertainment more than anything, haha. Just don't be surprised if people misinterpret you if you aren't being serious. ~_^[/font][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]hai, soo desu. I think that about wraps it up.

By the way, did you get my message about the anime reccomendation thing? I know this isn't the place, but I didn't know if you had some PM blocker thingy or something, so I had to ask somewhere. I really should have saved a copy >_<

To stay on topic.

nother thing that grinds my gears is the way my brother's Mac saved documents. It replaces the X button with the 'would you like to save' button, so I'm always paranoid about pressing it. Then, if you don't want to save, it keeps the file in the list of current files, though clicking it just directs you to the recycle bin. What's the point? Also, when you reopen certain programs, it pulls up whatever file you last worked on, and if it's one from the recycle bin, it asks you if you want to see the recycle bin! No! That's why I said 'DON'T save!'[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]hai, soo desu. I think that about wraps it up.

By the way, did you get my message about the anime reccomendation thing? I know this isn't the place, but I didn't know if you had some PM blocker thingy or something, so I had to ask somewhere. I really should have saved a copy >_<

To stay on topic.

nother thing that grinds my gears is the way my brother's Mac saved documents. It replaces the X button with the 'would you like to save' button, so I'm always paranoid about pressing it. Then, if you don't want to save, it keeps the file in the list of current files, though clicking it just directs you to the recycle bin. What's the point? Also, when you reopen certain programs, it pulls up whatever file you last worked on, and if it's one from the recycle bin, it asks you if you want to see the recycle bin! No! That's why I said 'DON'T save!'[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]I've used Macs exclusively since late 2004. I've never encountered this, ever. I call ********.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]I've used Macs exclusively since late 2004. I've never encountered this, ever. I call ********.[/font][/color'][/size][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Okay, right now, access either iMovie or Garageband. It will ask you what to name your project. give it a name, then enter the program. Do something so that it will turn the X onto a little dot, then exit and click 'don't save'. Then exist the program alltogether. Now, reactivate it.

Annoying as hell, i swear.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]Okay, right now, access either iMovie or Garageband. It will ask you what to name your project. give it a name, then enter the program. Do something so that it will turn the X onto a little dot, then exit and click 'don't save'. Then exist the program alltogether. Now, reactivate it.

Annoying as hell, i swear.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[color=indigo][size=1][font=arial]For both those programs, to do anything you have to create a project, which makes files on the HDD, cause they're so media intensive and it would be inefficient to keep it in RAM. So what it's asking is 'Do you want to keep this?' not 'Do you want to save?'. When you say no, it sends it to trash, but because Macs use pointers to files, not physical locations, if you try to bring it up again from the recent files menu, it'll try to open it from where it was seen last - the trash. Of course, it can't do this, so it'll instead open the trash as if to say 'Hey man, you wanna use this? It's in here bro'.

Anyway, in conclusion, I hate both those programs, and I've never [i]ever[/i] been able to replicate your 'problem' in any other app.[/font][/size][/color]

So many things to count and even think.......ok! let's see now:

1.) people who make fun of you because of who you are
2.)suck ups
3.)people who walk around and act like complete show offs like 'check out my sweet shoes' or 'check out this $500 jacket that I'm only gonna wear for at least a few months.' come on people, they're just freakn' clothes!
4.)people mocking you. that just plains annoys me!
5.)Teachers who have a bad case of favoritism, like my science teacher!
6.)People who judge you on who you are. that just makes others feel bad about themselves by alot!

Shall I say more? :devil:

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='Crazy Kev']6.)People who judge you on who you are. that just makes others feel bad about themselves by alot![/quote]
So err... what else would you have us judge you on? Your appearance? Your body odour?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]
So err... what else would you have us judge you on? Your appearance? Your body odour?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Arial Black]Ok, well first off, how could you judge me on those 2 subjects just knowing on a computer without actually knowing me. Second, I know what your getting to, but I'm saying anything in particular within that subject, I'm just saying that it really ticks me off when people judge other for who they are, like religious beliefs, inerests, disabilities, appearence, all that kind of stuff.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Crazy Kev][COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Arial Black]Ok, well first off, how could you judge me on those 2 subjects just knowing on a computer without actually knowing me. Second, I know what your getting to, but I'm saying anything in particular within that subject, I'm just saying that it really ticks me off when people judge other for who they are, like religious beliefs, inerests, disabilities, appearence, all that kind of stuff.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]But that's what [i]makes you[/i] what you are. That's all ther is to judge on, and judgment is the basis of opinion. If someone isn't judging you hatsoever, then they are indifferent to you. The way people judge you is the makeup of who you are. Ho you portray yourself. Your life in the perception of others may not be what you consider to be 'you', but in their mind it is. The you that others judge you as is just as much 'you' as you are.

But before I get into a whole 'I am the asuka in your mind,' 'while I am the asuka in her own mind', I think I'll skip down to...

What grinds my gears is people who cant accept what they are. Who say 'I can't help being this way' instead of either doing all they can to change it or making it their own. no one, no matter the circumstances, is not allowed to be happy.[/COLOR]

[color=dimgray] More so than anything else I've posted in this thread, Japanophiles irritate me the most. This picture almost nearly sums up everything I hate about them:

[img]http://xs414.xs.to/xs414/07155/fatnerd1.gif[/img]

Except most of the Japanophiles I've met are teenagers, not sweaty old men. [/color]

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray] More so than anything else I've posted in this thread, Japanophiles irritate me the most. This picture almost nearly sums up everything I hate about them:

Except most of the Japanophiles I've met are teenagers, not sweaty old men. [/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]There's a funny thing about this, though. The representation is entirely off. The people who run around saying 'ZOMG I love Japan!!11 I'm gunna be a manga writer!' are mostly the casual fans. The people who believe they are way into anime, watch nothing but adult swim, and buy volumes of Fruit Basket and Naruto all the time.

Now, the people who are really, really into anime and watch the raw episodes as they are released in Japan, those people ten to be the ones laughing at those other fools. The one's wh omight like to take a trip to Japan a few times, but aren't all 'I GUNNA LIVE DERE!' and stuff. Lets face it -- being an anime fan in Japan SUCKS. They overprice everything. They have all that merchanise, but you can order most of it online a hundred times cheaper.

So a Japanophile pic should be a 15 year-old girl in a Sasuke t-shirt and all black drawing a picture of Edward Elric and Kyo having sex.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]There's a funny thing about this, though. The representation is entirely off. The people who run around saying 'ZOMG I love Japan!!11 I'm gunna be a manga writer!' are mostly the casual fans. The people who believe they are way into anime, watch nothing but adult swim, and buy volumes of Fruit Basket and Naruto all the time.

Now, the people who are really, really into anime and watch the raw episodes as they are released in Japan, those people ten to be the ones laughing at those other fools. The one's wh omight like to take a trip to Japan a few times, but aren't all 'I GUNNA LIVE DERE!' and stuff. Lets face it -- being an anime fan in Japan SUCKS. They overprice everything. They have all that merchanise, but you can order most of it online a hundred times cheaper.

So a Japanophile pic should be a 15 year-old girl in a Sasuke t-shirt and all black drawing a picture of Edward Elric and Kyo having sex.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] Um, yeah, I was just mostly talking about how they think anime/manga is some sacred things no one else understands and they really want to be Japanese. Which is why I used that picture, and then said: Except most of the Japanophiles I've met are teenagers, not sweaty old men.

:D[/color]

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray] Um, yeah, I was just mostly talking about how they think anime/manga is some sacred things no one else understands and they really want to be Japanese. Which is why I used that picture, and then said: Except most of the Japanophiles I've met are teenagers, not sweaty old men.

:D[/color][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]I dunno. I kind of liked the picture of the fat man in the Hello Kitty shirt. It was funny.

I hate when people recommend things to you, then ask you if you went out and saw or did whatever they recommended. Like "Hey, did you eat at that restaurant yet? No? Why not?" Maybe I don't want to. Maybe we need to form some kind of stronger bond than eating establishments, or go our seperate ways.

I also hate these guys that I always see at comic book shops, that are incredibly obese, nerdy guys, with serious arrogance issues, who would rather play WoW than pick up chicks, on Friday nights. I personally think that the government pays people to periodically cause blackouts, in order to kill these people off. I mean, their lives revolve around their fantasy characters. Hey, I play Oblivion occasionally, but only when I have nothing better to do.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]But that's what [i]makes you[/i] what you are. That's all ther is to judge on, and judgment is the basis of opinion. If someone isn't judging you hatsoever, then they are indifferent to you. The way people judge you is the makeup of who you are. Ho you portray yourself. Your life in the perception of others may not be what you consider to be 'you', but in their mind it is. The you that others judge you as is just as much 'you' as you are.

But before I get into a whole 'I am the asuka in your mind,' 'while I am the asuka in her own mind', I think I'll skip down to...

What grinds my gears is people who cant accept what they are. Who say 'I can't help being this way' instead of either doing all they can to change it or making it their own. no one, no matter the circumstances, is not allowed to be happy.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Wait a sec......I think what I meant on that part is how people judge you..in the bad way, or in this case, stereotyping......you know......If I think about it, pretty much on what grinds mt gears is stereotyping and what not....But you see, from what you were saying was the fact that on what judging other specifically meant in the version that represents the fact that people use sight and smell for judging, because in order to truely judge someone, they need to know the whole thing, especially their personallity........Forget I said any of that stuff said above and put it into the fact that people can't truely change who you are..........................Also, I hate rambling idoits at school!!!! :devil:

So a Japanophile pic should be a 15 year-old girl in a Sasuke t-shirt and all black drawing a picture of Edward Elric and Kyo having sex.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Blue]That's sexy...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]But your right, by all mens. I've seen the prices. Zen my ***! Holy crappola!

Plus why spend a big hunk of your time drawing amanga when you might suck at it. No offence to anybody here, but sometimes it's a bland and already used story. (Hell I think the Japanese are actually running out of ideas.)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]plus those characters try to hold their masculinity, no matter how hot it gets.

(Crap, somethings wrong with me tonight!!)[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=ForgotteÑ-HerÖ][COLOR=Blue]That's sexy...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]But your right, by all mens. I've seen the prices. Zen my ***! Holy crappola!

Plus why spend a big hunk of your time drawing amanga when you might suck at it. No offence to anybody here, but sometimes it's a bland and already used story. (Hell I think the Japanese are actually running out of ideas.)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]plus those characters try to hold their masculinity, no matter how hot it gets.

(Crap, somethings wrong with me tonight!!)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=tahoma]From the perspective of a writer, I can tell you that when translating a story idea of any type whether it be a manga or a novel or even a roleplay, while trying to do your own version of revolutionizing a genre is an accomplishment, it is equally as important to make sure you can convey an exceptional portrayal of any concept that interests you or your readers/viewers.

It isn't always about how you can change a genre or offer something completely original, because the thing about "original" is that it's difficult to pull out something that can be considered the definition of original when all the years we have been living here on earth, most everything in some shape or form, whether in great abundance or in small bits and pieces has already been done. A lot of the times, a really good story just simply needs a fantastic telling of a concept, regardless of whether it's original or time tested. Someone's version of a concept that has been done can shine brightly amongst the large group of that particular genre if the story, characters, progression, etc are just right. Take vampire movies for instance. I've seen a million of them but Interview with the Vampire stands out to me in so many ways as an incredible movie because of how it tells the story and what is involved in the story. Not an original concept what so ever, but stands out as something special within it's genre.

So I wouldn't be so quick to demean people's attempts at following through with something they like just because it may not set out to redefine standards. People typically do things because they like it, even if they do suck at it. That goes for anything, not just drawing and writing.

[center]* * * * *[/center]

Figure i'll throw in another one due to recent events: Subway delays ><. [/font]

[QUOTE=BKstyles][font=tahoma]From the perspective of a writer, I can tell you that when translating a story idea of any type whether it be a manga or a novel or even a roleplay, while trying to do your own version of revolutionizing a genre is an accomplishment, it is equally as important to make sure you can convey an exceptional portrayal of any concept that interests you or your readers/viewers.

It isn't always about how you can change a genre or offer something completely original, because the thing about "original" is that it's difficult to pull out something that can be considered the definition of original when all the years we have been living here on earth, most everything in some shape or form, whether in great abundance or in small bits and pieces has already been done. A lot of the times, a really good story just simply needs a fantastic telling of a concept, regardless of whether it's original or time tested. Someone's version of a concept that has been done can shine brightly amongst the large group of that particular genre if the story, characters, progression, etc are just right. Take vampire movies for instance. I've seen a million of them but Interview with the Vampire stands out to me in so many ways as an incredible movie because of how it tells the story and what is involved in the story. Not an original concept what so ever, but stands out as something special within it's genre.

So I wouldn't be so quick to demean people's attempts at following through with something they like just because it may not set out to redefine standards. People typically do things because they like it, even if they do suck at it. That goes for anything, not just drawing and writing.

[center]* * * * *[/center]

Figure i'll throw in another one due to recent events: Subway delays ><. [/font][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=blue]I remember seeing the last part of that movie. It was exquiset. (sp?)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]Then again people might just make manga for their personal enjoment. But from experience I know that sometimes a good idea could have a bad artist. I kept trying and trying, but alas, it wouldn't hep me.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]Another thing that grinds my gears, is when you wear all black and people think your goth or emo, when your not. Happens to my friend James, and me too, soon that is. I've been trying to find black pants for about a year now, and I got a pair yesterday. 've revamped my sense of style and I feel happier.[/COLOR]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=2]What grinds my gears?[/size][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=2][/size][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=2]Ignorance. Point blank and simple.[/size][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=2][/size][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=2]I can't stand when someone talks to you and they have no idea what the hell they're saying to you -- just rambling. Also, when people who are mad at you won't listen to a word that you're saying, simply because they want to prove a point or to prove that they're right and you're wrong.[/size][/font]