OtakuBoards

What grinds your gears?

Aberinkula

[QUOTE=ForgotteÑ-HerÖ][COLOR=blue]I remember seeing the last part of that movie. It was exquiset. (sp?)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]Then again people might just make manga for their personal enjoment. But from experience I know that sometimes a good idea could have a bad artist. I kept trying and trying, but alas, it wouldn't hep me.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]Another thing that grinds my gears, is when you wear all black and people think your goth or emo, when your not. Happens to my friend James, and me too, soon that is. I've been trying to find black pants for about a year now, and I got a pair yesterday. 've revamped my sense of style and I feel happier.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I know what you mean, being that I have that sort of look. All my clothes are black, I have long hair, and I shop at Hot Topic, but it's all out of preference. If that is what deifnes the goth lifestyle, then I supose I'd have to be grouped in there, but from people I know there's a whole lot of stuff factored into being 'goth' that I am in no way a part of.

BUT, you can't really be mad at someone for thinking your a goth. I think I'll (indireclty) quote Carlos Mencia on this one...

"I'm tired of girls who wear trampy outfits and then get mad at you for looking. They say things like 'these are the style I like, it doens't mean I'm a tramp' (or something to that effect). It''s like if you see someone in a police uniform, you know that their a policeman, right? So you may not be a tramp, ladies, but you're wearing their uniform!"

See what I mean? As long as you wear a 'goth kids' uniform, it's only regular that people be confused.[/COLOR]

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#ff8c00][color=darkorange][QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][/color][/color]
[color=#ff8c00][color=darkorange]"I'm tired of girls who wear trampy outfits and then get mad at you for looking. They say things like 'these are the style I like, it doens't mean I'm a tramp' (or something to that effect). It''s like if you see someone in a police uniform, you know that their a policeman, right? So you may not be a tramp, ladies, but you're wearing their uniform!"[/color][/color][color=#ff8c00][color=darkorange][/QUOTE][/color][/color]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=2][color=black]I agree with this statement completely. If you walk up to a woman who's dreesed in as little amounts of clothing as possible and start talking to her with your intentions written on your face, she should know that she should start dressing a little bit better in public. Why? Because 90% of the time, that same lady in that same outfit is gonna tell that same guy...[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=2][color=black]"I'm a lady, not a ho. Who do you take me for?"[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=2][color=black]Well, I, meself, could answer that question but I don't wanna offend any women here on the site.[/color][/size][/font]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]I know what you mean, being that I have that sort of look. All my clothes are black, I have long hair, and I shop at Hot Topic, but it's all out of preference. If that is what deifnes the goth lifestyle, then I supose I'd have to be grouped in there, but from people I know there's a whole lot of stuff factored into being 'goth' that I am in no way a part of.

BUT, you can't really be mad at someone for thinking your a goth. I think I'll (indireclty) quote Carlos Mencia on this one...

"I'm tired of girls who wear trampy outfits and then get mad at you for looking. They say things like 'these are the style I like, it doens't mean I'm a tramp' (or something to that effect). It''s like if you see someone in a police uniform, you know that their a policeman, right? So you may not be a tramp, ladies, but you're wearing their uniform!"

See what I mean? As long as you wear a 'goth kids' uniform, it's only regular that people be confused.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Blue]That, my friend, I agree. Taking another look at myself, I can guess that, yes, people will get confused.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]I got my clothes from Steve & Berry's not hot topic. (Though my wrist cuff and necklace were from Spencer's)[/COLOR] [COLOR=DimGray]I got that shirt with the skull and crossbones. It reads "Cereal Killer". The bones are spoons. Plus I got a shirt that says, "Beavers love wood."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]that may not be important but it brings me to my next irratator.

When people complain about a shirts contents. Don't like it? Tough ****.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Farto the Magic][COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Ok.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]
[COLOR=DarkGreen]Well, as its all that I have to work with, I think I will. What should I do? Go to Canada and find someone who proves my opinion wrong? **** that! Why should I wste my time, when I have Canadians at-hand? I'll just assmue that they're an accurate representation of their countrymen.

//snip//[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Wow... Take someone's comment and qoute them out of context... thats really mature.

You know something else that Grinds my gears... Pointless arguements. Debate is one thing, but debate requires intellegent comments (and intellegence in general). *shakes head* sometimes I really wonder about people.

[QUOTE=ForgotteÑ-HerÖ][COLOR=Blue]That, my friend, I agree. Taking another look at myself, I can guess that, yes, people will get confused.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]I got my clothes from Steve & Berry's not hot topic. (Though my wrist cuff and necklace were from Spencer's)[/COLOR] [COLOR=DimGray]I got that shirt with the skull and crossbones. It reads "Cereal Killer". The bones are spoons. Plus I got a shirt that says, "Beavers love wood."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]that may not be important but it brings me to my next irratator.

When people complain about a shirts contents. Don't like it? Tough ****.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Hey! I got the hoodie that has the Cereal Killer thing on it from Steve and Barry's! I love it so much. ^.^

I totally agree with the statement about t-shirt content. Especially if it doesn't straight out say something offensive. I mean, take your shirt for example. It says Beavers Like Wood... well naturally if you think about it beavers DO like wood. They use it to build thier dams... But even if it is just "offensive" in general, don't look at it. So my idea of offensive and yours are different. Cry about it. I don't particuarly like Christian t-shirts that proclaim Jesus is comming and stuff... but I just don't pay attention to it. So if I wear a shirt that says Save a broomstick, ride a wizard... leave me the ***k alone.

[color=red]JeskaValentine, there's no need to quote entire giant posts - just edit it down to the bit that's relevant so we don't have to scroll through the whole thing again.

Also, posting straight after yourself (double posting) isn't allowed. Use the EDIT button (bottom right of your post) if you have something to add, but no one's posted after you.

--Raiyuu[/color]

[QUOTE=JeskaValentine]Hey! I got the hoodie that has the Cereal Killer thing on it from Steve and Barry's! I love it so much. ^.^

I totally agree with the question about t-shirt content. Especially if it doesn't straight out say something offensive. I mean, take your shirt for example. It says Beavers Like Wood... well naturally if you think about it beavers DO like wood. They use it to build thier dams... But even if it is just "offensive" in general, don't look at it. So my idea of offensive and yours are different. Cry about it. I don't particuarly like Christian t-shirts that proclaim Jesus is comming and stuff... but I just don't pay attention to it. So if I wear a shirt that says Save a broomstick, ride a wizard... leave me the ***k alone.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Blue]My point exactly. I hate those shirts that say "Got Jesus?" if I did, do you think I'd keep him to myself?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Ah, the evil t-shirt conspiracy. I've always loved the t-shirt that the fat guy in Shaun of the Dead wears that has the little forest and say 'I got WOOD'. Good stuff, there.

Personally, I've not had to deal with this problem really, as almost all my shirts are band shirts, and ones that most people haven't heard of anyway. I do have a 'how to become a ninja' shirt teaching you to make a ninja hood out of a t-shirt and naturally everyone accuses me of having a terrorist on my shirt.

Maybe I do have a terrorist on my shirt. What does that have to do with you?

I don't mind it, though. Like everything else, it's a product of lifestyle I've learned to live with. A situation where everyone is at fault.

What grinds my gears is when people take things to seriously. When someone uses something like a t-shirt to get all-up in someone's business just for the sake of being pissy. But hey, if you react in the wrong way, it's only your fault that argument starts.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]My point exactly. I hate those shirts that say "Got Jesus?" if I did, do you think I'd keep him to myself?[/QUOTE]

If you do... please at least keep him away from me. J/K

[QUOTE]What grinds my gears is when people take things to seriously. When someone uses something like a t-shirt to get all-up in someone's business just for the sake of being pissy. But hey, if you react in the wrong way, it's only your fault that argument starts.[/QUOTE]

Oh I certainly agree with that. I am always in favor of ignoring those who try to pick a fight with me, and fights cannot be onesided. If I refuse to fight with you, then you are just B***hing and causeing a scene for nothing and YOU will look stupid... not me.

[QUOTE=JeskaValentine]If you do... please at least keep him away from me. J/K

Oh I certainly agree with that. I am always in favor of ignoring those who try to pick a fight with me, and fights cannot be onesided. If I refuse to fight with you, then you are just B***hing and causeing a scene for nothing and YOU will look stupid... not me.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Ah, I don't think you understood me correctly. I meant that if someone l=insults your shirt, any resulting arguement is [i]your[/i] fault. As in, you in the shirt. After all, the only thing stupider than being offended by a shirt is reacting to someone's being offended. That only shows that you really did mean to be offensive, and that means you started the arguement.

When a scene is initiated, all of its participants are equally stupid.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]Ah, I don't think you understood me correctly. I meant that if someone l=insults your shirt, any resulting arguement is [i]your[/i] fault. As in, you in the shirt. After all, the only thing stupider than being offended by a shirt is reacting to someone's being offended. That only shows that you really did mean to be offensive, and that means you started the arguement.

When a scene is initiated, all of its participants are equally stupid.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I agree, sorry if my reply seemed to state other wise... I was using the words you and I in the retorical sense. Sorry for the confusion...

[quote name='JeskaValentine']Wow... Take someone's comment and qoute them out of context... thats really mature.[/quote]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]Something that grinds my gears...wait for it...people who assume that everyone else is roughly the same as them. I'm not mature, I was arguing and I have permission to take people out of context if I want. Deal with it and be glad it wasn't you. Not everything is serious, nor is it mature...especially with me.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[quote name='JeskaValentine']Wow, I hope he doesn't make up things I say, and use them as quotes.[/quote]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]I'm just messing with you, kid, like I messed with the last person...who hasn't said a thing since then...[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1] I also cant stand overweight people, I dont know why...but it just bothers the living daylights out of me, maybe cos they just threw their lives down the drain to eat alot of unheathly stuff, plus they usually smell too. =/

what usually gets me though is old people, they nag too much. [I know that sounded cruel, but Felix has the right to speak his mind right?][/SIZE]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=2][QUOTE=Felix Santiago] [/size][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=2]what usually gets me though is old people, they nag too much. [I know that sounded cruel, but Felix has the right to speak his mind right?][/QUOTE][/size][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][size=2]With all due respect, be careful what you say Mr. Felix. Give or take five decades and you'll be what you hate.[/size][/font]

[font=Book Antiqua][size=2]In general, however, the t-shirt thing doesn't really grind my gears -- if anything, it makes me laugh. Shirts that describe the wearer's personality is totally cool and all but is it really that big of a deal for others to look at the wearer's shirt and, in so many ways, feel offended? Anywho, I wanted to comment on that topic further but go back to JeskaValentine's post. She pretty much paraphrased all my thoughs on the issue in post #179.[/size][/font]

[quote name='N64Goldeneye']With all due respect, be careful what you say Mr. Felix. Give or take five decades and you'll be what you hate.[/quote]

[list=1]
[*]It's Mr. Santiago,
[*] in the year 2057 [approx. 50 years from now (five decades)], I'd be peacefully sleeping in my grave.
[/list]

[SIZE=1] but all stupid things aside, what bothers me, is when little kids start up on drugs, having casual sex, and doing things they could be doing so much further down the road.

it also bothers me when I log into xbox live, begin a matchmaking game, and run into a bunch of screaming prepubecent teens.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Felix Santiago]
it also bothers me when I log into xbox live, begin a matchmaking game, and run into a bunch of screaming prepubecent teens.[/QUOTE]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]I wholeheartedly agree. Its like 'Kid, try insulting me after your balls drop.' My little brother had this kid in a game who was on his team, who essentially locked my bro in this room, after he stole one of this kid's kills...for six rounds. They were slaughtered. I was upset just watching.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Felix Santiago']it also bothers me when I log into xbox live, begin a matchmaking game, and run into a bunch of screaming prepubecent teens.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]
Aww muffin. Do your ears hurt?

Now, really, is that something that should really bother someone; hyperactive kids on a videogame? You gotta realize that games are for kids whether you think so or not. Whether it has blood, guts, gore, and violence; kids are going to play it and you're gonna run into whiney little girls but it shouldn't be something that annoys the crap out of you. Pull your head set off, kick them from the game, or leave the match. I don't see why people whine about it instead of taking action.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Nerdsy][color=deeppink]That's not really converting, though, that's badgering. Sure, they're trying to convert you, but they're failing. You seem to be giving the word "convert" a negative aspect which it doesn't have. I recognise that this is just semantics, though, and I know you mean "forceful conversion."[/color]

[color=deeppink]Honestly, who doesn't believe that? Most religions are contradictory, and if people thought their religion was wrong they'd change it. There are those who believe that all religions are true, but by believing this they are saying that there are parts that are fault. For example, the Christian God being the one true God?[/color]

[color=deeppink]Are you saying it's okay to negatively stereotype Christians and not goths? Because that's what White was getting at: you were complaining about being stereotyped when, in the very same sentence, you stereotyped those who try to convert others.[/color]

[color=deeppink]Just because you believe in [i]a[/i] god, does not mean you believe in [i]the[/i] god. I'm not saying that your way is wrong here, mind you, merely that what they're assuming is actually true. I don't know much about your religion, so I'm kind of taking a leap here, but I have my doubts that you believe in the same God as Christians do since you also believe in a Goddess.

To illustrate my point a little better, two people can each say "I know Larry," and both be right, even though they are talking about two different people.[/color][/QUOTE]
I take your point in the fact that I was a little stereotypical in that fact, I also accept your fact that if all religions did not believe that other religions are wrong, then we would have only one religion. I guess what I was trying to say was that I can't stand people that can't "accept" other people's religion and leave them be. Also, I get your point that we do not believe in the same God, but what I meant was people who ask you if you believe in their god, and when you reply NO, they say you are a atheist or Satanist. And, I don't Negatively stereotype Christians, I was just stating facts, which are not really stereotypes, though I admit I was wrong in some of the things that I mentioned. Just trying to clear some things up.

Also, something else I hate: People who claim that they are emotionless, then get mad at every little thing you do. (Anger IS a emotion, people!!)

Hm what grind my gears is fake lovers who don't know nothing about love but yet they act like they know it all :animeangr and it's like /dude/ shut the **** up and get your mind right cause in order to speak so bold about it you must live it...damn jerks :mad:

[quote name='Daasheus']And, I don't Negatively stereotype Christians, I was just stating facts, which are not really stereotypes, though I admit I was wrong in some of the things that I mentioned. [/quote]

[color=deeppink]Facts can be stereotypes. Nothing in the [URL=http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stereotype]definition of stereotype[/URL] says that a stereotype has to be false; ironically, that is a false sterteotype that many people have.[/color]

[QUOTE=silpheedpilot][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]
You gotta realize that games are for kids whether you think so or not. Whether it has blood, guts, gore, and violence; kids are going to play it and you're gonna run into whiney little girls but it shouldn't be something that annoys the crap out of you. Pull your head set off, kick them from the game, or leave the match. I don't see why people whine about it instead of taking action.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=arial]I don't agree with that.

First of all, games are not for kids - at least, not all games. Some are. Arguably [i]most[/i] aren't terribly child-friendly these days. The idea that videogames are only for children is a very old misconception.

Secondly, I think when you pay for a service like Xbox Live you do have the right to play your games without being harassed. Yes, you can kick annoying players out or you can leave the game - but doing this consistently isn't fun; it does ruin the experience.

I think it should be the responsibility of all players to act reasonably when dealing with others. I know this is hard (perhaps impossible) to fully regulate...but I don't think it's fair for someone's play experience to be ruined by inconsiderate players.

When you pay money for a subscription I think you are entitled to expect a certain environment. So although I understand that you can't always avoid coming aross annoying players...it's reasonable to be upset or annoyed when you do come across them.
[/font]

[QUOTE=James]I don't agree with that.

First of all, games are not for kids - at least, not all games. Some are. Arguably most aren't terribly child-friendly these days. The idea that videogames are only for children is a very old misconception.

Secondly, I think when you pay for a service like Xbox Live you do have the right to play your games without being harassed. Yes, you can kick annoying players out or you can leave the game - but doing this consistently isn't fun; it does ruin the experience.

I think it should be the responsibility of all players to act reasonably when dealing with others. I know this is hard (perhaps impossible) to fully regulate...but I don't think it's fair for someone's play experience to be ruined by inconsiderate players.

When you pay money for a subscription I think you are entitled to expect a certain environment. So although I understand that you can't always avoid coming aross annoying players...it's reasonable to be upset or annoyed when you do come across them.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]
First of all, sure its a misconception but even still. ALOT of children play M-rated games these days. The biggest being, oh gee, Halo. Last time I checked thats not something I'd want my 14 year old playing. You see what I'm getting at? Of course they're not 'just for kids' but the highest demographic for gamers in undoubtedly under the age of 17.

The next thing I need to tackle is the fact that Xbox Live isn't a full-service body-guarded club. Just cause you pay for Xbox Live doesn't mean you don't have to deal with children because, as I said above, ALOT of kids under 17 play M-rated games and those M-rated games may be the ones you play.

Look, I'm not really wanting to pursue this any further so I guess I'm just not understanding why its such a big deal when someone joins a game and a kid has a high-pitched, balls to the stomach voice.

Nothing is a big deal until you make it a big deal.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='silpheedpilot][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]...I guess I'm just not understanding why its such a big deal when someone joins a game and a kid has a high-pitched, balls to the stomach voice.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]That ain't the problem. The problem is when said kid, whose said balls are still against said stomach, starts goin' off like he knows G' and it is quite obvious that not only does he [I]not[/I] know G' but he does not even understand who or what G' is. I don't mind playing with kids. I mind playing with jerk-off kids who think they're somethin'.

That's all, really.[/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Arial]^^^ Number one reason I don't play online.

Speaking of ruined gaming experiences is having violence in today's society being blamed on gamers. If that were true then every person (right down to the 80 year old lady in a wheel chair) that I had ever served when I worked in a games store have or will go out and commit a violent crime.

Seriously, that little old lady was the sweetest looking thing ever to play FPS...

And the fact that in NZ (I don't know what laws are like in other countries) is that it's illegal (liable of charges of up to NZ$10,000) for minors to be buying R-rated games, just as it's illegal for them to posses porn but so many parents just buy it for them and then come back a week later to complain. I just want to yell at them to remind them that they're the parent and it's their responsibility to monitor what they're kids are doing, not the shop assisstant who has no responsibility to asking if you're getting [restricted game] for your 10 year old son. On the other hand if their 10 year old son had come in with a wad of cash to buy said game then of course I would've laughed and told him to buy Chicken Little or similar children's game.

And besides, wasn't the age of the average gamer actually something like 25 years old?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink]Facts can be stereotypes. Nothing in the [url="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stereotype"]definition of stereotype[/url'] says that a stereotype has to be false; ironically, that is a false sterteotype that many people have.[/color][/quote]
Point taken.

[QUOTE=silpheedpilot][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]
Look, I'm not really wanting to pursue this any further so I guess I'm just not understanding why its such a big deal when someone joins a game and a kid has a high-pitched, balls to the stomach voice.

Nothing is a big deal until you make it a big deal.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]The thing that ticks me off is when these kids do stuff, like they did to my brother, where they screw over their teammates over something as stupid as a stolen kill. That pissed me off, just watching it. On Gears of War, there are four men to a team. Why should three other people suffer, because some kid is having a temper tantrum?

On team games, like GoW, these little kids screw over their teammates. When you're doing advanced tactics, and there's some little kid giving a shrill "I PWNED YOU ALL, BUTTHEADS," the entire team suffers.

I think they should require an age with your gamer profile, and have an age-monitered game. You cannot sign into X's game, unless you're older than 15. In this way, kids can run and scream and beat each other senseless, and adults can have an enjoyable game.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Farto the Magic][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]I think they should require an age with your gamer profile, and have an age-monitered game. You cannot sign into X's game, unless you're older than 15. In this way, kids can run and scream and beat each other senseless, and adults can have an enjoyable game.[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I like the profile idea. As far as the strictly age-monitored concept goes, though, I'm not sure that that would work completely. There are a few (very few) younger kids who are mature game players and can fuction well on a team as a team member, and I would bet money that there are also some very immature older players who would also throw tantrums, though they may come in different forms.

In this arena, being a mental adult counts more than being a physical adult.[/FONT]