OtakuBoards

It's Quiet Here... [Suggestions?]

Retribution

[size=1]It's rare that the Art Studio gets a discussion-only thread, but I think the times call for one.

Basically, there's been very spotty activity here in the last few months. No one's to blame, and I understand that posts come in cycles and spurts, but it's getting ridiculous. This place is just too cool for it to end up as antiquated as the Underground.

So I have a few questions for the community:

- Is it boring here? Is it worth posting here anymore? Please say why or why not.
- Would you like to see more events and community activities here (i.e. Graphics Worm, Draw My Character!, etc)? If so, what kind?
- What can you as a member do to make this place more exciting? Is there something I'm neglecting to do as a moderator of this forum?

I understand you can't really force artistic inspiration, but I'd love to see this place as the center of creativity and constructive criticism that is once was. So feel free to offer any other suggestions as to what we can do to make this place more fun, or just go ahead and start a thread with some of your art you've had collecting on your hard drive!

I look forward to hearing from you all.[/size]

Its not boring here at least to me. I love to see other peoples work and to wonder how did they do that. As for events your could start up something. With some type of game would bring the spirits up right now for the art studio. I have personal been working of some graphics that I'm going to be using as a school project. I was going to post once I'm done before they are due for that class. That way I can see what others would feel to make the graphics better.

I myself started this out on another forum, but got the idea from my old Animerica magazines. Anyways, each month have a contest or something with a theme, like Robots, Swimsuits, Halloween, etc. Where you can draw anime characters (either any or specified) using that months theme.

The way I have it set up is the contest submissions end the third week of the month, people vote on their favorite, and the winner gets to pick the next months theme. This way, everyone can become involved, and people will WANT to participate and vote. Maybe you guys could offer some incentives as well, like featuring the winner on the Fanart page or something.

Im still working out kinks, and this is the first month that we have really tried that exact format, but its worked decently well for the past 2-3 months or so.

[SIZE=1]This used to be my most visited forum. However I don't post my art here much anymore because I'll get maybe two replies and the thread dies anyway. Psh.

- Nothing as caught my fancy lately, thats all.
- I love the draw my character idea, and I want to do that. I just have limited time so drawing the charcter and what not takes more time than usual.
- Not really, I think its just in one of those phases, it'll bounce back.

I do miss how it used to be, but I really can't think of anything to put the spark back.[/SIZE]

[quote name='SaiyanPrincessX][SIZE=1']This used to be my most visited forum. However I don't post my art here much anymore because I'll get maybe two replies and the thread dies anyway./SIZE][/quote]
Basically that was the same way I felt.

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I only don't participate in this forum for a few reasons. The first is that I have no ability in graphic art, and that's most of what seems to go on here. The second is that I can't draw worth a damn, and I'm far too embarassed to try and show you what I can do. The third is that when I have posted things in the past, they have gotten no replies at all >_< and even then, most of the threads were banner dumps, and my banners always have and always will suck.

Maybe you could give out graphic art lessons if your bored? *pleading!*[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=SaiyanPrincessX][SIZE=1]This used to be my most visited forum. However I don't post my art here much anymore because I'll get maybe two replies and the thread dies anyway. Psh.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] That hit the head of the nail, pretty much. Forums live off of replies and discussion, but the Art Studio has more or less become a list of posted artwork with zero to few replies. The only way a thread is sure to gather replies is if a popular or famed member posts something, and new artists are probably put off by the lack of replies.

I do wonder what happened, though. I remember when I first joined OB my threads, which contained pretty bad art, got a bunch of suggestions and critique. Maybe there's just less members interested in art right now. [/color]

[COLOR=Magenta][B]Everybody on the OB is a little bit lazy, and usually don't post in th Art Studio. I visit a few times, but nothing really captures me. If I had a good scanner, I could participate in all the art competitions and etc. because I am quite an art lover and I do draw very much, but alas, I don't have a good scanner.

Is the Art Studio boring? Well honestly, it currently is, because nobody has really posted anything, but that doesn't mean its a boring place. It's still a very good sub-forum dealio.

Sparkyness idea: Host a competition and etc. or....some event, etc. That alot of people can participate in, about "Art", then more posts will come, life shall be brought back, and everybody will be happy once again.

Retri, you're a good mod, live up to it. You're a mod for a reason, and that's because of your Intelligence and Ability at Art, so no, don't doubt yourself, you're not neglecting anything, but you could help open up more ideas to make Art Studio awesome.[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][quote name='Kazuwa Nomura][COLOR=Magenta][B]Everybody on the OB is a little bit lazy, and usually don't post in th Art Studio. [/B'][/COLOR][/quote]And quite a few people on OB aren't artists either. So they have no reason to post in the Art Studio. ;) So even though we may pop in on occasion we don't really pay much attention to this area.

Though I rather enjoyed the graphic tournaments that have been held in the past since it's fun being part of the judging process of them by critiquing the work, even if you know next to nothing about art.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]As SPX pointed out, there hardly seems a point in posting because people seem bored of replying. However! I would adore the Graphics Worm to be started again.

Lord knows many of us who participated have improved, and lots of new GFXers have imerged to only make it better. To be honest, I still want to add to the old one, but the problem was with hosting, right?

If we could sort that out I'm sure it would bring people back.[/SIZE]

[size=2]I think it must be the time of year where a lot of people are busy with school work and have finals to worry about. [/size]

[size=2]As for me, I rarely post at OB these days, I do a lot more browsing and lurking than posting replies. I guess because for the most part, someone will already post what I had in mind. However, I do browse the Art forums every now and then since I am majoring in Studio Art. I love to look at all the art works done here by the talented members of OB for inspiration, but I?m one of those people who never really have much to say when it comes to commenting or criticizing an art piece. Plus I do not have a good scanner to post some of my artworks, but even if I did, I would be too embarrassed to post it up. As a Studio Art major, I am not as talented as I wish to be.[/size]

[size=2]Also, as 2007DigitalBoy have mentioned, sometimes I feel that this place is more dominated by graphic art designs than the general art stuff, like drawing, painting, ceramics, photography, etc. For instance, there seems to be more topics on requesting avatars and banners than people posting their own artwork. Of course, I do not have anything against graphic art since I do love to look at graphic designs, and I look forward to learning more about it someday, but I would love to see more variety in art mediums.[/size]

[size=2]Most importantly, art in general takes a long time to be perfected, so I guess it takes time for people to post new artwork. [/size]

[QUOTE=Treble][size=2]I think it must be the time of year where a lot of people are busy with school work and have finals to worry about. [/size]

[size=2]

[size=2]Also, as 2007DigitalBoy have mentioned, sometimes I feel that this place is more dominated by graphic art designs than the general art stuff, like drawing, painting, ceramics, photography, etc. For instance, there seems to be more topics on requesting avatars and banners than people posting their own artwork. Of course, I do not have anything against graphic art since I do love to look at graphic designs, and I look forward to learning more about it someday, but I would love to see more variety in art mediums.[/size]
[/QUOTE]

Agreeing with both of these statements. The board seemed to die when school started up XP Lack of replies to threads prolly has something to do with this as well.

While I do like -watching- things like the Graphics Worm, I'm more likely to participate in something like the Draw my character thread. To grab ideas from some other replies, contests involving themes or different mediums might be fun X3

[quote name='GTK']To grab ideas from some other replies, contests involving themes or different mediums might be fun X3[/quote]
[size=1]I think you should go for it. The fact that you're an established member of the forum would only lend weight to any event or contest you create. Remember, [b][i]the power is yours![/i][/b]

Anyway, I've seen a general wish for broader mediums covered here, and that's understandable considering most people just do graphic design. But basically, you've got to post it up. I agree that it'd be a breath of fresh air to see more traditional mediums represented here, but uh... we can't do anything about it.

I know it's rather hypocritical of me to say it, but if you see a thread with only a few replies, take some time and post your thoughts on the art. If we all chip in here and there, newer artists will be more inclined to stay and older artists will be more inclined to keep posting.

Any further suggestions to the Art Studio's use, activity, future, etc are all welcome![/size]

[SIZE=1]
I must be honest: I do find that the Art Studio has become rather boring recently. For the past few weeks I've skimmed through here and haven't really been too excited about anything. It really does need something.

I think that the idea to have art contests is a great idea. I'm all for it. However, I would also greatly like to see more tutorials. Tutorials for Photoshop, drawing the human figure, etc. I think that the tutorials should be interactive as well, with requests being made for tutorials and different artists taking on the job of creating them. I know there used to be a tutorial thread like this, but I guess it died out. I'd like to see something like it return.

I also think that the graphic contests looked like a lot of fun, though I never got the chance to participate in one myself. So it seems to me that contests draw the most attention/participation, and so we should just organize a lot of tournaments, and gradually host them one or two at a time.

I'm also going to be doing a lot more sketching this summer, as well as creating new designs. I'll be sure to create a thread to host my new work, even though those types of threads don't seem to draw much attention. : p [/SIZE]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][quote name='Treble']Also, as 2007DigitalBoy have mentioned, sometimes I feel that this place is more dominated by graphic art designs than the general art stuff, like drawing, painting, ceramics, photography, etc. For instance, there seems to be more topics on requesting avatars and banners than people posting their own artwork. Of course, I do not have anything against graphic art since I do love to look at graphic designs, and I look forward to learning more about it someday, but I would love to see more variety in art mediums.[/quote]There are really plenty of traditional art threads in the Art Studio. All of the graphics requests are all in the sub forum for requests. That they are dominating there is rather logical, as people request mainly graphics. Drawings are not really things you would request very often, while banners and avaters often change by the month.

Eh one thing that might work to at least give the impression that the Art Studio is alive, is stop making art threads where you will post all of your art. Seperate threads don't immediatelly make the Art Studio all messy or anything. If anyone disagrees on this, you're just sabotaging the Art Studio.

Another good point would of course be: just post your art, regardless of how many replies you get. What stops you from posting a new splashpage you made? Who cares if you get only two replies? The little amount of art posted here is at least as frightening as the amount of replies they get.
Now people seem to always wait with posting until they have a whole load of art that they all post at once (if they post at all). [b][i]Nobody wants to comment on twenty banners[/i][/b].

By the way, I still really want to build up a spriting community to at least see how well it will do. In the past everyone just posted in that one spriting thread. There'd be new pages everyday, which is why a spriting forum was brought up. But as soon as people had to make threads to show off their art, it got a lot less attractive. Especially if they're new. They used to just be able to make a simple post with their recoloured Megaman, now they had to make... [i]a thread[/i]. *gasp*

I'm straying from the subject.

More frequent tournaments would be fun, but then we'd have to be more certain of an artist base here. Right now we aren't, as nobody shows their face, let stand their work, here anymore. I don't agree on the tutorial part, though. At least not how they were done last time, with each thread seperately. You'll want to combine them all in one thread, as new posts, not as links to other threads. A sticky thread even, please. Now they were just threads flying around with no particular order. The idea was nice though.

Retribution, or any other staff member, can't do much about the current situation, except stimulating and suggesting slightly. It will mainly have to come from the artists themselves. Just post a thread with a piece of art once in a while, regardless of the replies. They'll come in time, once we have a larger artist community like we did in past years.

*has to go now* Whee.[/size][/font] Edited by Boo

[QUOTE=Boo][size=1]
Another good point would of course be: just post your art, regardless of how many replies you get. What stops you from posting a new splashpage you made? Who cares if you get only two replies? The little amount of art posted here is at least as frightening as the amount of replies they get.
[/size][/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] After a while of posting art with zero to two replies, it sort of just gets boring. No one wants to create a thread that will get nothing in reply, and no one here is probably passionate about art to not care. Forums are made for discussion.[/color]

[FONT=Arial]I'm with the idea that people could try replying to other members' threads instead of solely waiting for a reply to their own and afterward being disappointed when no one replies to theirs.

I'm not talking about particular people, but anyone who posts threads. If people would not be so shy or whatever the reason about replying to other threads, then threads could get more replies.

I have been real busy these past several weeks and plus I'm not as active as some members. However, when I do see a thread that I like or think needs a reply and I have the time to do so, I will.

For example, there's a particular thread I've wanted to post in for a while now and haven't gotten around to it, but I will.

***The summer is really a great time to have tournaments and activities of the like since people tend to be the busiest when school is in.

I am not suggesting that tournaments not be held during the school year, but for those holding them to take into account when they hold them.

I don?t know about the most recent ones, but it has happened in the past where tournament participants were given extensions. While I am not against giving extensions, I do think it?s unfair when people are given an entire week, even two weeks to do something they were given ample time to do in the first place.

Perhaps this has already been dealt with, but I just wanted to mention it because this generally causes the whole contest/tournament to be delayed and I remember one in particular that lasted too long for its number of participants.[/FONT]

[quote name='Lunox][color=dimgray'] After a while of posting art with zero to two replies, it sort of just gets boring. No one wants to create a thread that will get nothing in reply, and no one here is probably passionate about art to not care. Forums are made for discussion.[/color][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Precisely. I mean, I have plenty of art I'd like to share, but the last thing I posted got zero replies, so I'm not going to bother posting again. I'll take it to some other forum and get ample replies, lol[/COLOR].

[quote name='Boo][size=1']There are really plenty of traditional art threads in the Art Studio. All of the graphics requests are all in the sub forum for requests. That they are dominating there is rather logical, as people request mainly graphics. Drawings are not really things you would request very often, while banners and avaters often change by the month. [/size][/quote]
[size=2]I was actually referring to the Art Studio forum itself not the sub-forum. I think I must have mistaken some of the comment/critique threads as request threads when I posted the reply yesterday. However, it seems like you may be right since after taking another look at the Art Studio forum I do realize that there are more variety of art mediums used throughout the forum than I originally thought there were, but I still feel that the general medium used here is mainly graphic design. Well whatever works for people is fine by me, but it would be nice to see more cool drawings or paintings every once in a while. Also, I love the idea of bringing back the spriting stuff, it has been a while since anyone has done any sprite related stuff. I miss seeing those cool nifty Megaman sprites.[/size]

[size=2]Anyway, I do like Whiteblaze? idea about holding tournaments during the summer since a lot of people will have much more free time to create new artworks, and I think this forum will eventually pick up pace again when summer comes. [/size]

I'm not too sure if anyone feels this way also, but my reason is a little different from others. Every time I reply to discussion boards, it dies pretty soon. Every time I have up a thread of my own, I receive not one reply. It seems to have died here. Many of the members [I'm not going to give names] seem to also reply to only specific people ignoring others if they try to get friendly. Sometimes it feels lonely, ya know.

BUT as for suggestions, it would be really great if we can really get the Graphics Worm back up again. I really liked that besides the fact that it was pretty much the same five people making the entries. I would think that more contests would definitely bring back some of the active members back here. :)

[quote name='Lunox][color=dimgray'] After a while of posting art with zero to two replies, it sort of just gets boring. No one wants to create a thread that will get nothing in reply, and no one here is probably passionate about art to not care. Forums are made for discussion.[/color][/quote][size=1]There is no discussion possible without a subject. So if everyone refuses to make threads because of the possibility to have no replies, there won't ever be any discussion going on and this forum will remain dead. You're not going to the vet whining about your pet dying if you didn't even bother feeding it, now are you?

Please - everybody here - don't complaint about this forum being dead if you go to other forums/deviantArt to show off your art (and won't post it here). Don't be afraid of a little amount of replies. Besides, I've always learned that if you do good to others, they do good right back at you. In other words: Post in peoples threads, they feel as if they need to do the same very often.[/size]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=slategray]If this forum were only about posting and critiquing art, I really think it wouldn't last very long. Although it's great to have people critique your art and stuff...it's not terribly interesting reading and it doesn't really engage many people.

I think the key is to think about the medium we are using right now - a message board. The beauty of this system is that it's interactive and allows for collaboration.

The biggest successes here, without doubt, have been the Graphic Worms, tournaments and other "group projects". These types of threads are popular because instead of simply prompting comments from people, they encourage friendly competition and collaboration.

It's a lot like the difference between collaborative writing (RPGs) and posting your own fan fiction. The latter will [i]never[/i] be as active, because it's largely about presenting something for people to look at...with relatively little reason for people to actively respond. The former is more exciting and active because it encourages everyone to put part of themselves into a greater whole.

I don't ever really contribute graphics to this thread (partially for time reasons and partially because I don't really think anyone is terribly interested in seeing my work). But I just now submitted a piece for the 50 Themes thread - I thought it was a really cool idea and it's easy to produce one small piece of work rather than have to hold up an [i]entire[/i] thread on your own.

So yeah, to make a long story short...threads that involve collaborative art and design are absolutely the way to go in my opinion. These threads tend to grow on their own steam, they snowball and become popular because everyone gets to be involved and their involvement isn't a massive commitment.

I think if you can involve people without them having to spend hours and hours on a project, you'll end up attracting more activity. Most people don't have the time (or sometimes the attention span/interest) to focus on one thing for a very long time. Little submissions in between other tasks are a great way to generate interest (and I really like watching the Graphic Worm grow because the whole idea of melding one image into another is very interesting - most people have approached that in very unique and unexpected ways).[/color]

Hello ^_^

Some of you may, or may not, remember me. I was once very active on the boards, but due to other issues became very inactive.. The Art Studio can never really die. I'm in 100% agreement with Boo, although I stopped coming and posting mainly because I couldn't find Retri's work. :/

But for the important information. I will be coming back to the boards periodically to check up on things and giving my two cents on others work. I'll make an attempt to check in everyday.

But I guess this is my rebirth into the forums and the art studio.

[font=arial]Speaking of breathing life into the Art Studio I've had an idea lately that I want to launch here soon, so watch out for that.

It isn't a new idea but it's something that has tremendous potential and it will carry my own twist, which should be interesting. So I might test it out soon and see how it goes.

I'm really happy with what's been happening in the Art Studio lately - lots of great threads and lots of new art being produced. It's all great stuff and the forum definitely feels more alive when members join in and come up with ideas![/font]