OtakuBoards

Transformers

silpheedpilot

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]You've got the touch...You've got the power!

Well, this movie sure doesn't. I'll give two reviews. One as a movie fan and one as a Transformer fan.

[B]Movie-goer review:[/B]
Technologically speaking the movie was profound. It has great effects, seemless animation, the works but as a whole the movie was inconsistent and there were plenty plot holes.

It went from being a mature movie with large transforming robots to a kids movie with goofy robots and then back to being a mature movie with robots. Which by all means, please, put some funny moments into a serious movie (Take some cues from the Die Hard movies, Bay.) but certainly do not devote 20 minutes of the movie to making the good robots look like a bunch of clowns.

The plot holes really made me kinda mad too. Where'd the scorpion transformer go when they took him down? Where'd the cop transformer go? Did he just run away? Why didn't the plane transformer not fight all that much?

As an action movie it was run-of-the-mill. It left much to be desired.

I give Transformers a 4/10 for being a shallow, off the wall, Bay flick with a lot of explosions and great camera work but poorly implemented character development and crappy inconsistency.

[B]Transformer fan review:[/B]
[SPOILER]Why?! WHY?! why did they do this to my franchise? Why? Sure, the movie looked great but why was there more human and character interaction that actual action?

Why was Devastator and Bonecrusher in the movie at the same time? Now we can't have the actual constructicon Devastator! Frenzy was retarded, didn't even look like Frenzy and he was just annoying in general. Where did Barricade and Scorponok go? Did they get cold feet and run away? Megatron was too maniacal. He's supposed to be this brilliant leader and general not some psychotic robot who'd rather kick a dog than fight who he is supposed to fight.

The Autobots were a JOKE! When has Prime ever said; 'Oops. My bad.'
Never. None of the characters were actually in character. Prime was more like a nagging father than a heroic king figure. Ironhide was this big warmonger, sure I can dig it because Ironhide was a soldier in G1, but not to the extent he'd go; 'You talkin' to me punk?' then get SCOLDED by Prime and say; 'I just wanted to show them my cannons.' Jazz was the worst of them all. His first lines when he was introduced were; 'Wassup lil' bitches? Man, this looks like a cool place to chill.'
Now all of us Transformer fans know that Jazz was essentially the only black Autobot next to Blaster but, c'mon, did they have to turn him into the stereotypical black man? Not to mention the fact that he's the only Autobot to die and he goes out like a sucker. Ripped in half by the almighty Megatron.

The scene where Sam Witwicky goes to find the glasses that have the location of the Allspark emblazoned into them was far too comical with the Autobots stepping on garden sets, trying to hide, and essentially turning about 20 minutes of the movie into a child film. Not to mention when Bumblebee pees on John Turturro's character and then Prime goes; 'Bumblebee. Stop lubricating that human."
The Autobots were lame and goofy.

All in all, the movie blew as a Transformer flick because, as above, there was too much human element. I mean, hell, most of the Decepticons were taken out by, imgine that, humans. Only one Decepticon, Bonecrusher, was taken out by an Autobot.

Such a piss poor movie for Transformers fans.[/SPOILER]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I havn't read either review yet, or any for that matter. My friend and myself are looking very forward to checking this movie out, but both fear intently the memory of our childhood being ripped up infront of our eyes at what might be a poor attempt at bringing Transformers into this unncecessary world up digital updates. Sure it is aethetically pleasing to the eye, but how it holds up against what we as dedicated childhood fans have come to love is a question lingering in the back of both of our minds.

Like Silpheedpilot, I will be trying to judge it on both the level of watching it as a movie, and watching it as a Transformers fan, and try to be as objective as possible like how I do with most superhero movies. But I would hate for the name transformers to spread on a mainstream level nowadays in relation to this movie if it is hardly worth the price of admission. We'll be going at the end of the week, hopefully dissapointment won't befall us.[/FONT]

[color=#007520]I'll be going to this movie purely for the eye-candy because I don't expect it to be anything like the older franchise. To be honest, I can't even go as a Transformers fan because I didn't actually latch on until the more recent Beast Wars series.

They already signed on two sequels, but it might have a different director and writer. Apparently the writers were big fans of the series.

-r2[/color]

[size=1][color=teal]I have to wait another flippin' month for this film ¬_¬, 27th of July for us Brits. As is obvious I'm a diehard fan of Transformers and because of that I know that the franchise hasn't survived this long without re-inventing itself every now and again, from Beast Wars to (Urgh) the Unicron Trilogy all Transformers cartoons and comic books have various similarities but a lot of differences.

I'm not going to watch this film hoping for it to be a complete re-hash of G1 because I know it won't be, and it doesn't need to be. I've read the IDW prequel comics and read the prequel novel "Ghosts of Yesterday" and so far I like this new take on the Transformer franchines. Plus the trailers and bloody amazing! lol.[/size][/color]

[COLOR="Navy"]I can't wait to watch it. I've loved transformers for a few years now, one for my brother's fav cartoons back then. I first got into TF when I started started watching "TF Armada." My favorite Transformer was Hotshot and Starscream. Absulutely hated it when Starscream [spoiler]died![/spoiler]

But the American take on TF looks PHENOMINAL, for me. As long as there's action I'll watch.[/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1]I was really worried that they would mess up the movie, but in all honesty, I only disliked two things, but they were a big deal. As noted, I absolutely hated the camera work and the editing. During fight scenes, the camera was so close and shaky that you couldn't tell anything that was going on. Also, none of the Decepticons' characters got fleshed out AT ALL. Megatron probably had ten minutes of screen time. The movie seems to constantly go for quick laughs even during really tense situations, I didn't understand why we needed to laugh at the robots' antics every five minutes.

But besides all of this, I really enjoyed the movie. It did what it was supposed to and it ended... despite being like two and a half hours long. If you have a Blu-Ray or HD player, then this is the movie you're gonna need.[/font][/size]

[SIZE="1"]I'm in Bill's boat, another few weeks until it hits this side of the Atlantic and not expecting it to live up to what G1 and the original movie left behind, though the special effects are going to be something to see. Like a few others I've avoided reading reviews or watching previews so I won't get hit with any spoilers.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Okay. I watched the first Transformers movie before going into this, and it happens to be one of my all-time favorite movies even though I've seen none of the original [B]Transformers [/B]TV series (I've seen all of[B] Beast Wars [/B]and glimpses of the horrid [B]Unicron [/B]trilogy)

I think I'll do what the op did, since it only seems fair to judge this movie in that manner. There wil be spoilers all throughout, and since it would be easier to read if I don't make it all covered in black, I suggest you simply don't read if you don't want it spoiled.

[B]Movie-Goer Review[/B]

this movie did more things right than wrong, but the things it did wrong were quite heavy. The biggest problem I had with this movie was the entire 30 minutes around 3/4 of the way through that were entirely retarded, nonsensical, and almost ruined the whole movie.

Before I get to that, though, I'll do a front-to-back movie review. The begining was awesome. One of my favorite things about this movie was actually the dialogue which was all very realistic and done well in my opinion. When the troups talked amongst each other, or when Sam was with his little friends, I appreciated that aspect of the movie. The first magor destruction scene shared one thing with all the others in the movie - a really beautiful eyesore.

Thing is, the CG is amazing, the explosions are beauitful, the sound quality is outstanding, and the giant robots kick boatloads of ***. So where's the problem? The ****ing camera. It's like someone had a camcorder and didn't know where to look. The cameras are jumpy, move to much, and at times focus simply on entirely the wrong crap. In one scene where [spoiler]the spastic little freak robot attacks Sam and the love interest[/spoiler] you can't tell what's going on for the entirety of it. The camera's will sometimes not focus on the action or focus on the wrong part of it so you can't really see what the hell happened.

This was the biggest problem in scenes with the spazz robot because it was increadibly nimated and it moved around a lot, doing many things at once - something that should have been showcased rather than avoided. Now, this sort of camera work could have worked in sparce quantities or if it was reserved to one certain battle, but it happens in every action scene, making them all less enjoyable at points.

Aside from the wretched battle camera, though, the cinematography was astounding. The lighting was perfect in all situations and everything had a crispness about it that made the transformers' sleek design fot right into the chaos. The best part about this was definitely the scale of it all. These looked to be giant robots doing battle on earth and they didn't skimp out on the battle scenes.

That, in fact, is what makes this movie hard to review - the biggest deminishing factor was the battle camera, and yet the fight scenes were brilliant. the [spoiler]very long final melee in the city[/spoiler] was cool as hell because it featured the kind of battle we'd expect from Transformers - [spoiler]there's one fight where there's sides in a hail of crossfire while other combatants duke it out on the city streets.[/spoiler] Not only that, but some of the brawls were simply badass. Plus there was the destruction facter. The opening scene [spoiler]with [B]Destroyer [/B]blasting the crap out of the military base[/spoiler] was like something out of [B]Mechwarrior [/B]and you could feel the power of the huge machine.

Which brings me to the next thing about this movie that is hard to review - the plot. In some aspects it was good. The way they explained the backstory made sense and was interesting, and didn't seem [i]too[/i] cheesy. Plus, as I said before, the characters and dialogue were well-written. I liked how there was sort of a dual plotline between Sam's situation and the military - it was increadibly similar to the [B]Godzilla [/B]movie in that respect, only Sam was less important than the main character of Godzilla.

On the other hands, the plot featured some absolutely crushing flaws. Some of them don't appear as much on the surface, whereas others are blatant and really ****** up. First and foremost, of course was the 30 minutes of some of the stupidest crap I've seen in a [i]long[/i] time.

From the point that the autobots all meet up there's a string of crappy events. First of all, personality wise, most of the [B]Autobots [/B]were completely campy and exibeted features that were obviously a set up to get kids to buy these toys. The only even remotely likeable one was bumblebee. [spoiler][B]Bumbleebee [/B]couldn't talk and he made for a good sympathetic character for all the hardships he endures. His voice didn't work, he was captured and tortured by humans, and he gets his legs torn up in the final battle. I felt generally sorry for him by then.[/spoiler]

But the entire scene where [spoiler]Sam has to go into the house to get the glasses[/spoiler] was perfectly ignorant. the autobots were campy and retarded to the point I nearly moaned in agony. And then [spoiler]after that these agents suddenly come in and they're acting all stupid towards the characters, and they go through the trouble of driving the kids away, only for them to get stopped by the damn autobots anyway! What was the point of all that? And they put way too much focus on the stupid cop guy. When they had him strip to his undergarments and get pissed on I was frankly appalled. That whole scene nearly ruined the movie entirely at that point. I was begging the screen to turn back to the military guys or something - it was horrible.[/spoiler]

And then there were some less blatant flaws, most namely that the whole movie makes no sense what-so-damn ever. It tides you over with action and funny stuff and memorable characters so that you don't notice te positively gaping holes in the plot.

First of all, [spoiler]sector seven and their entire operation is pretty unbelievable. Second, why do the autobots know all this stuff about how Sam's granddad found [B]Megatron[/B]? did they just happen to have a camera below the arctic shelf? If they just arrived on earth, how did they gain this knowlege? Why did learning the language from the internet not effect Prime's speach habits? If they only thing that could hurt the robots was that certain high-heat substance or whatever, why were they blasting them with shotguns and rocket launchers? Why was the government so lacking in forces? Was the same troup that fought them in the desert really the only one they could bring to fight them on the street? How did they set up a bunker so quickly? Where did those extra soldiers come from at the end?

[B]Starscream [/B]was kicking some major *** against those other jets, so why did he fly off right in the heat of battle? Where the **** is Scorpinock after the desert fight? What the hell happened to the police car guy? Why did no one aid Megatron or [B]Optimus [/B]in their final struggle rather than sit there and fire at each other? By the way, where the hell was this battle taking place? at certain parts, it seemed like they were turning corners in completely random directions and you can never tell who's dead and who's alive, so what happened anyway? What was Bumblebee firing at when he was in tow with the love interest?

And where did the attacking decepticons go to? One minute they're fighting the enemy humans, the next Megatron is dead and Optimus is high-fiving his pals. Were they really dumb enough to simply drop Megatron's carcass into the ocean? Do they even know what that could do to the ecosystem?[/spoiler]

i could on on for quite a while, but it's obvious that this movie simply leaves a whole lot of questions. All in all, this is not a thinking-man's movie. It is a movie where you go in, laugh and watch people shoot each other, then walk out feeling good about yourself. While it was a really [i]cool[/i] movie, it wasn't a really [i]good[/i] movie.

[B]As a Transformers fan...[/B]

[I]**** you, Micheal Bay! [/I]

Okay, so here's my deal. first of all, the choices of robots were just plain stupid. I think it's more than obvious that this movie exists for no reason other than to capitalise on the franchise. 'everyone's already got hotrod toys, but not as many bumblebee! Get more bumblebee out there!'. They picked some of the lamest most backwater transformers, some of which I've never even heard of. And what the hell was that little annoying thing? That thing made me want to kill myself!

Anyway, [spoiler]the autobots all acted like idiots. Prime was no fearless leader, and the rest were shallow and uninteresting. And the Decepticons, my god!!! Each of them only got one line, the line where they said there name!!! WTF!!! Worst of all was Starscream though.

Starscream has always been my favorite transformer. When I see Starscream, I expect an evil little bastard who fights under Megatron's rule but against him at the same time. Oh, but no, he didn't even get to talk. The only decepticon who talked was Megatron, who by the way turns into like a Tie fighter. I've seen him as a gun and a T-rex and a dragon. At least they could have used [B]Galvatron's [/B]canon mode, but alas, no. Megatron looked like a big dumb monkey who hopped around and was filled with evil. By the way, he didn't seem at all like the intelligent calculating villain who he is.

Now, there were only two moments in this movie that made me really think of the old transformers. The first is where [B]Jazz [/B]( I think it was him, the camera makes it so it could've been anyone) hit the cannon on the tank upward just as what [B]Cup[/B](sp?) did in the first movie. also, of course, when Prime and Megatron were about to show down and Optimus gave his same line before they fought in the first movie.[/spoiler]

As has been said before, this movie is way too human and has a whole different focus than what transformers is about. Transformers has always been a massive battle between warring robot factions that occasionally happen to involve a small group of humans. This was a movie about humans being affected by a battle between opposing robot forces that was none belivable in the slightest.

It should be noted that I don't hate the new movie. I think it's shallow, and the shallow part of me loved it. I can't deny the awesome of big robots, big explosions, and cool fights. But it wasn't jsut the transformers fan in me that rejects this movie - it's the fan of good storytelling that yells at this movie's gaping flaws.

The first Transformers movie is amazing. The way the events are portrayed flow excellently. Every minute of it, something cool and memorable happens. Even when the robots are all dancing to weird al, you love it simply because it's done so well. The pacing is perfect, the incorporation of adventure and action into a flowing plotline is brilliant - yes it has a couple problems. Why can the [B]Dinobots [/B]apparently fly in space? Why does it seem like they intended to kill a lot more characters and got scared and left it with a few (lol, and Prime comes back in season 3) but it's nothing so jarring as the new film.

Oh, and the ending of the movie? [spoiler]The Autobots stay on earth because apparently they want to protect the humans. You tell me, why the hell would the decepticon's come back?[/spoiler] Makes NO sense. Blegh.[/COLOR]

[color=darkorchid][size=1]DB, please use spoiler tags if you're going to be talking about events in a movie. Even if you think your post looks better not covered in them. -Clurr[/size][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Just some clarification for you DB.

'Destroyer' was Blackout.

The crazy little robot was Frenzy, who was originally a tape that transformed into a robot that popped out of Soundwave's chest compartment. (Soundwave was a tape deck in alt mode.)

Kup not Cup.

And the reason Starscream didn't fight much and or talk much was because in the prequel novel he was the leader of the Decepticons for hundreds of years before they found Megatron and he simply does not want Megatron to live but, of course, Bay decides not to allude to this at all during the movie and thus Starscream looks kinda forced or put in there for just added muscle.

And as for the 'backwater Transformers' thats where you're actually kinda mistaken. Jazz, Ironhide, Bumblebee, and Ratchet were all mainstay characters in the cartoon. Granted Ironhide and Ratchet bit the dust when the Decepticons attacked the shuttle to Autobot City in the '87 movie, they were big in the first and second season so they are in fact NOT 'backwater Transformers' but, hey, thats okay cause you don't know any better. Should look up the seasons and watch them. Staple of many of our childhoods here.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=#606060]I don't really have much to say about it.

The movie itself, by objective standards, was your typical action flick...although there were some genuinely funny and heartwarming moments. So it was an action flick, just not as emotionless you might expect.

As someone who grew up on Transformers (I wore the tape of the '86 film down to the bone pretty much - I'm actually about to buy the DVD because it's such a nostalgia trip), the movie was [i]okay[/i].

I don't think you can ever expect a film like this to really be true to the original story. There are many reasons for this - changes in audience, logistical/time reasons, design reasons (i.e. updating designs for today's audience so that the film doesn't look like it belongs to 1986), etc etc.

I think when you see this film as a Transformers fan you probably have to assume the worst, especially with this style of adaption.

So I prefer to think of this as being a "new or different interpretation" of Transformers, rather than something that directly links with the original series and film. The movie doesn't set out to do that so I'm not really holding it to that standard.

So in that context - in terms of it being a totally new and different interpretation of the Transformers concept - I think it was handled well enough. The visuals were great (although the only Transformer design I wasn't fond of was Megatron - his physical design was sort of overly-complex and a bit too "hey I'm a demon-like bad guy"). The story was so-so; they did not emphasize much of a backstory - it was very thin. What they did include, however, they executed well.

I think this was probably an opportunity to develop a more deep backstory that provides more material for future films; that is, if you are wanting to "start Transformers again" as a new interpretation. So that potential was missing.

Overall it was probably a slightly above-average action movie. Nice effects, unique concept (as compared to other action films) and it was generally well put together (reasonable - and sometimes surprisingly good - dialogue, for example).

If you think of this as a movie that intends to be true to the Transformers you know, you will be disappointed.

If you take it for what it is - a completely new film that doesn't really pretend or try to be directly connected with any previous materials - you will have a more pleasant experience.[/color]

[quote name='silpheedpilot'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Just some clarification for you DB.

'Destroyer' was Blackout.

The crazy little robot was Frenzy, who was originally a tape that transformed into a robot that popped out of Soundwave's chest compartment. (Soundwave was a tape deck in alt mode.)

Kup not Cup.

And the reason Starscream didn't fight much and or talk much was because in the prequel novel he was the leader of the Decepticons for hundreds of years before they found Megatron and he simply does not want Megatron to live but, of course, Bay decides not to allude to this at all during the movie and thus Starscream looks kinda forced or put in there for just added muscle.

And as for the 'backwater Transformers' thats where you're actually kinda mistaken. Jazz, Ironhide, Bumblebee, and Ratchet were all mainstay characters in the cartoon. Granted Ironhide and Ratchet bit the dust when the Decepticons attacked the shuttle to Autobot City in the '87 movie, they were big in the first and second season so they are in fact NOT 'backwater Transformers' but, hey, thats okay cause you don't know any better. Should look up the seasons and watch them. Staple of many of our childhoods here.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]You are not the first to tell me these things, lol. Had this convo elsewhere. Also, since the sequel in already confirmed, we all know it will definitely be better, and plus it's confirmed that the dinobots and constructacons will be in it!

Oh, and blackout was the copter guy. "destrover" was my accidental name for "devastator" which they called the tank, but that's been confirmed to be corrected in the DVD with the guy who's actually a tank.[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Yeah, sorry, read that and I cringed so I had to do some corrections. My bad.

There is obviously a problem with having the Constructicons in the next movie though and thats the fact that Bonecrusher is dead. If they fix him, and they probably will, then it's all good but one more problem arises. The tank was supposed to be named Brawl but because Hasbro didn't change the name of the toy in time that was in-line with the movie they had to name him Devastator but Devastator is the name the Contructicons use when they all unite.

Lets see you pull this one out, Bay.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="Navy"]Honestly, one of my favorite villains from [B]Transformers [/B]was [B][U]Sideways[/U][/B]. I always loved his evil ways. Especialy when [spoiler] he made them think he was an Autobot![/spoiler]

Unless he's in the 1st movie, I hope they put him in next one![/COLOR]

[size=1][color=teal]If no one minds I'm gonna try and make this a general Transformers thread rather than focusing solely on the new movie. So this'll cover stuff like the original cartoon, Marvel comics and so on. Now my main knowledge base of Transformers comes from [b]Generation One[/b], [b]Beast Wars[/b], [b]Beast Machines[/b] and the new [b]IDW comic book series[/b].

Currently my favoured Transformer continuity, or reality or whatever, really has to be IDWs new treatment of the series because I feel it really gets to the core of what Transformers really are. And that is [i]Robots In Disguise[/i]. The basics behind IDWs re-invention of the G1 universe is a kind of Cold War basis, in which the Transformers war has spread out from Cybertron and has cells from each faction working on planets in an effort to, for the Decepticons, conquer them for raw materials and, for the Autobots, keep them safe from Decepticon Infiltration.

I also have a special love for Beast Wars because it is simply pure, unadulterated, Transformers pwnage XD. So now I want to know what you lot know and love about Transformers.[/size][/color]

Guest The Blue Jihad
[quote name='Jokopoko'][SIZE=1][COLOR=teal]I also have a special love for Beast Wars because it is simply pure, unadulterated, Transformers pwnage XD.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

The only thing Joko and the beast will ever agree upon when it comes to Transformers.

I'll probably see this movie this weekend. I'm going in there expecting trash either way. The only worthwhile thing to crap out of Michael Bay in the last decade was The Rock.

[SIZE=1] I saw the film on opening night [not a good idea to leave home when the show starts in ten minutes] and I must say, it was one of the best films I have ever seen, I like how they constructed the autobots and decepticons and how every part of them moved even when they were standing still. the dialogue was good, and the acting was great, especially the humour. but what bothered me though was even though there was dialogue between the bots, there wasnt enough, and the story felt somewhat flat.[/SIZE]

I enjoyed the movie as a good CGI-laden actioner, but not much more. I enjoyed the original series direction of having both an Autobot and Decepticon narrative. You got to see both sides and their operations, whereas the movie is almost exclsuively told from a Sam Witwickty/Bumblebee narrative and thus, the Autobots are fleshed out charactires while the Decepticons become one-dimensional "baddie" caricatures.

The movie was a good one on a technical/action level, and enjoyable as a stand-alone take on the franchise rather than a continuation of it, as James pointed out.

It's your typical Michael Bay film. Go in expecting that and you will enjoy it. As a hardcore loyalist to the original series, you will most probably hate the liberties taken in regards to the original story & characters.

[FONT="Tahoma"]Just got back from seeing it, and despite the fact that not every little thing was textbook...this has to be one of the sickest movies I have ever seen. Summer is really breeding some seriously bad *** movies with Pirates, Transformers, Die Hard, etc.

The comedy was halarious, Bumblebee is a bad *** pimp no doubt ;P. The action was sick, one of the most exciting movies I've ever seen. It was like nostalgia meets pure awesomeness. One of my favorite scenes being the early chase scene between [spoiler]Barricade and Bumblebee[/spoiler]. So much went on in that movie, and eventhough I disagreed with some of the choices they made for who to put in the movie, it worked out great.

As much as I loved it though, it wasn't without it's flaws from a transformers fan POV. Making my judgements based off that, some things that made be go "ehh" was [spoiler]Devestator being a single robot. The tank they depicted I believe was meant to be Brawl, the tank out of the combaticons who fuse to become Bruticus, not Devestator. Brawl is my favorite of the group, so it was awesome seeing him despite everything. In any case, in addition to feeling he was defeated a little too easily, I am hoping that in the sequels to come the constructicons and other combiners will make full appearences.[/spoiler]

Another one, and probably most obviously is that [spoiler]Megatron transformed into a jet rather than his gun which honestly didn't bug me that much considering it was a hot looking jet.[/spoiler] That was me looking at it from a movie goer's POV.

The designs were fantastic for the most part, it however seemed like they overdid the intricacies on Megatron a bit, but even so he looked rather intimidating. The actual transforming scenes were terrific and I especially liked it when [spoiler]Bumblebee traded in for a new model[/spoiler], hehe.

I was really glad to see my favorite of the bunch Starscream [spoiler]doing some major damage, especially that slick move he did transforming out of jet mode while in air to get behind the jets that were chasing him.[/spoiler] I would have enjoyed a little more of the dissension between him and Megatron, aside from the little "You've dissapointed me again" line they had. It would have added a bit, especially since the decepticons all could have used a bit more background for the average movie goer. As a Transformers fan, everyone has their favorites already going into the movie...so people who root for Starscream or Blackout, etc etc, are those who already know them. Since nothing is really offered other then what they can do (which in both cases, especially the opening scene with Blackout and the jet scene with Starscream, should be enough), people won't really get a good idea of what they are about. While the autobots had plenty of build up and introductions, which is cool too because seeing them was just as satisfying as seeing the decepticons. Well, almost as satisfying ;P.

Overall really, combined into the POV of a Transformers fan and a movie fan...the movie was excellent, the designs were great, the voice overs, the comedy, the action. I do have to say though that the way [spoiler]Megatron was defeated[/spoiler] was pretty whack. I also still can't get that scene where [spoiler]all the decepticons start answering the call and introduce themselves one by one[/spoiler]. [/FONT]

If any of you went to the anime expo in LA they showed the movie one day before it came out. It was a good movie I thought, but there were times of confusion.But overall it was a good movie, if u ask me

[color=#db2007]Except for the dizzying camera work during the fights, the movie was really pretty. I loved that shot where two of the robots crashed through an office building, and you watched them go all the way through.[/color]

[size=1]I'll just start off saying, I've never watched anything Transformers related before. Call me dull, but it's true.

I liked the movie, I mean, it was two and a half hours and I didn't get bored. That really says something for me. I watch Harry Potter films and get bored with it an hour thru, and I'm a hardcore fan. (That's probably why I get bored, since the movies are a disgrace compared to the books... but, anyway...)
I'm not a detailed reviewer. A movie either entertains me, or doesn't.

Transformers, you entertained me.[/size]

Honestly, i loved the movie.

I can look past the crappy dialogue (I'm glad i got in the car) and the plot holes.

I went to see Transformers period, sure my classmates had a field day with it in Video theory but i truly enjoyed myself.

The movie was predictable, and there was no use for Linkin Park.

I can't wait to see the next two films though.

As for using backwater transformers, bay used ones from the first season since he wanted to start from season one and could continue on into the next two films.

The whole thing about them talking more modern was actually pretty clever to me. Since they accessed the internet to find what they were looking for they absorbed all kinds of information so Bay has his bases covered in that aspect.

Its like that one convenient line of dialogue that seams everything together.

They could act as modern or as different as he deemed them.

• 4 weeks later...
[SIZE="1"]I've definitely got mixed feelings on the new Transformers movie, on the one hand nearly all the visuals were absolutely top-notch and the action scenes were generally very well put together, and I'll even admit, some of the comic relief scenes were OK.

On the other hand a lot of the character interpretations annoyed me quite a bit, neither the Autobots nor the Decepticons seemed particularly in character at any time, some of them going to excesses of adopting cultural references. Most of the human characters were crap as well, particularly that Sector 7 guy who was "lubricated" on by Bumblebee. The military team led by Josh Duhamel were actually my favourite characters in the whole movie as they seemed the only ones remotely clued in.

As a TF fan, I was disappointed by the characters but very happy with the visuals, except that Prime didn't have his face plate for any more than three seconds.

As a movie fan, it was another decent action summer blockbuster that's somewhat worth the cost of going to see the movie.[/SIZE]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Transformers actually surprised me. I liked the show when I was little though I was never a huge fan. It was just one of those movies I wanted to see because it would be entertaining.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Going in to watch it, I didn't really expect anything out of it besides keeping me entertained for the time I was there. It's probably for that reason that when the decent/actually good parts (for instance, the fact that there was actually some character development, which I didn't expect) did happen, I enjoyed it that much more.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]And like any classic action movie, the big battle scene was still fun to watch, especially when said battle involves giant transforming robots.[/COLOR][/FONT]