OtakuBoards

How Long Did You Believe?

SunfallE

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I was watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya yesterday since I finally got around to getting the first DVD. Which is rather pointless as far as this thread goes except for the question brought up by Kyon in the beginning. Of how he never believed in Santa Clause or how later he gave up on the belief of other things like Espers or Aliens.

So it got me thinking about when I finally lost some of those beliefs myself. Take Santa Clause. I know that by the time I was either seven or eight I was positive it was my parents. My belief in other things like faeries and aliens took longer to fade. Though the aliens bit probably still hangs around, I mean we do live in a pretty big universe after all so that one's not out of the question. lol

As for other things like Espers? No idea, I've never really thought about that other than the idea of people having psychic powers, which I might add I've never really believed in.

So how long did you believe? What ever the belief may be and do you still believe in anything along those lines? I know for me, like I said the possibility of aliens hasn't been shot down, and though I highly doubt it, I kind of do wish faeries were real. ^_~[/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=Arial]I believed in Jesus pretty ardently until I was 15 or so. My decline of faith was rather odd. My sophomore year I became a rather passionate Christian, and felt a relatively thorough bond with a higher power. My junior year, I took Christian Ethics, and it was the best class I've ever taken. My teacher pushed us to defend our previously held beliefs, and I began to question all that I held as law. My teacher also heavily emphasized social justice and exposed to us the ugly truths of the world. I think this more than anything led me to question the "Life is inherently good and fair" mantra and in turn lose faith.

I no longer believe in Jesus, although I would like to believe there is a higher power or guiding force in the universe.[/font]

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][SIZE="1"]I [I]do[/I] believe in Jesus. I'm at a really low point in my life, but I'm still tight with the religion deal.

As for Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, the Hannakuh Armadillo, etc... I was out of that by the time I was 9.

The hard thing to believe in now is that love prevails over hate and good over evil. I'm starting to think that maybe that's not true... almost ever. But I still believe in love. Love and Jesus.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='taperson'][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][SIZE="1"]As for Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, the Hannakuh Armadillo, etc... I was out of that by the time I was 9. [/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]Heh, same here I was about nine when all of that stuff went out the door, some of it a little sooner. As for religion...

Religion took longer, it wasn't until I was almost eighteen, that I finally shut the door on that and left it behind. It would take a long time to go over the different things I encountered that slowly changed my mind on that. But now? I don't believe in a Higher Power at all. I'd like to, but I don't accept man's view of what that High Power is. Especially since so many of them can't make up their minds on that.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I was in denial about Santa Claus for a long time. I ****ing hated people who didn't believe in him. Up until like 5th grade I would argue with people, begging that he exists.I assured myself that he exists even until I was about 12. Even now, I want to believe that an old fat guy once went around giving things to children.

I probably knew he didn't exist. I thought it was probably just my parents. In fact, I remember on my 13th christmas when my parents, knowing that neither me nor my brothers really cared about wrapping, just had everything in a huge plastic bag and dished it out XD Honestly, I hate wrapping papper... so pointless.

My little brother was just like me. All growing up, he fought for santa as well. I think it was my youngest brother was the one who really ended it for me. Unlike my romantic self, he's a total realist. He was like 6 when he said "duh! Of course santa's not real!" to my parents when asked. I knew it was my parents who put the presents under the tree, but that line is what really put the fat man behind.

As for aliens... well, it's just completely ignorant to not know that they exist. I mean come on, how small-minded can you possibly be?

As for special people on earth, I believe. I even think I'm one of them. I've always kind of been that way, but I think Haruhi helped instill a lot more of that belief in me. After watching it, I decided that I was god, and I've kept to that belief. I hold myself as the center of the universe, and that when I die, the entire universe will cease to exist.

I belive that with all my might. That's the only real thing there IS to believe.

Oh, as for religion, I never cared about it. I never went to church, my mom's a complete nihilist - she believes in nothing whatsoever. My dad became really spiritual about 4 years ago and still is, which has effected me in a lot of ways. for a little time I started to pick up on that attitude, but then I picked up on my own thoughts and come to what I consider the ultimate conclusion.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I think it was my youngest brother was the one who really ended it for me. Unlike my romantic self, he's a total realist. He was like 6 when he said "duh! Of course santa's not real!" to my parents when asked. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]*laughs* That's so me. I was the same as your youngest brother, somewhere between five and six I was totally saying... Duh! Santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy... all of them are your parents!

And it wasn't too much longer that I felt the same about religion. I must have argued with my mom over not going to church for years until she finally gave in and let me do what I want. Which is to not believe in that sort of stuff. I just don't. Bottom line, all those books and such were written by a person. I haven't been religious since I was about eight and going to church became a think of the past shortly after I turned twelve.

I'm very much the type of person to at least try to be logical and not accept everything at face value. Though I'll give Aliens the benefit of the doubt. After all, there's a lot out there that we have yet to be able to explore. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]*laughs* That's so me. I was the same as your youngest brother, somewhere between five and six I was totally saying... Duh! Santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy... all of them are your parents![/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[font=Arial]And how does your mother feel about this?!

I remember a kid told me Santa wasn't real. I got mad, so I told him "You're getting coal" and walked away feeling smug. Ha! That'll teach you![/font]

[COLOR="Indigo"]How long did I believe in things like Santa? Not very long. My parents never made a big issue out of it. We still had fun on those holidays and such but other than when I was very little, I never really believed in it. The same with religion. My parents are not religious, don't attend church and never tried to make us believe anything. Well beyond basic concepts of right and wrong as far as the law goes and treating others how you would like to be treated. A couple of my older brothers have since found religion, but me? Not thanks. I don't believe in God.

I did sort of believe in faeries for a while, even though I was pretty sure they didn't exist. That lasted until I was about eight. As for Aliens, I don't really believe in them, however, I do concede that the possibility is there. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I believed in Santa when I was little. I don't remember how old I was, but one day my mom just suddenly told me that Santa wasn't real. I don't remember clearly, but I think I cried.

I don't think I ever believed in the Tooth Fairy. It might be because my teeth didn't start falling out until a late age. I figured it was just my parents, but I wasn't going to say anything as long as they kept giving me money.:D
I don't remember believing in the Easter Bunny either. It just sounded stupid to me, but my parents still hid my basket somewhere in the house so I could find it.

I still believe in aliens. It just sounds unreasonable not to believe that a universe that's been expanding for so long hasn't produced some other planet with life, sentient or not. Although it's most likely bacteria or something.

As for god, I don't really know what to believe. I'm sure there could be a higher power/higher powers, but I don't think it makes much of a difference either way. I probably believed in god when I was young, without really thinking about it. My parents didn't make me believe it (we never went to church or read the Bible or anything); I guess I just picked it up from TV. It was in my teens when I really started thinking about it. One day I was watching Dogma and my mom got mad and said that the movie was sacrilegious, and I told her that I don't believe in God. To my surprise, she started crying. Before that, I don't recall her ever mentioning anything about religion. She hasn't said anything to me about it since then.[/COLOR]

[size=1]And here I was thinking I'd end up in a gore-filled verbal battlefield. Titles can be deceiving.[/size]
[quote name='John']Well, I hope all you ***holes like coal. >:'([/QUOTE][size=1]I love you, John. :animesmil

Well, I dislike Santa Claus, anyway, existing or not. Saint Nicholas would totally beat him up if they ever met. Of course, since Santa is only a cheap copy of Nicholas in the first place. He didn't even bother coming up with an entirely original name. Pft. [/size]

[I][COLOR="Magenta"]In my opinion I never really have lost any of my beliefs besides the whole Santa,Easter Bunny thing, but I admit to believing in them for the longest time.Especially Santa, only because my mom made up the best story ever.If you want to know about that you'll have to pm me, but back to the real question at hand.I have many days where I doubt alot of my beliefs, but my scientific nature in me always comes out and there's always that little'" what if factor", to keep those beliefs going.In truth what can we really truly and utterly prove.Everything has small gaps in it no matter how concrete we may think some evidence shows.In my opinion if we don't believe in something miraculous or magical, the world would be a very dull place.The real magic in the world is our hearts and imaginations that form beliefs in anything whether it be scientific or mystical.I think if everyone could hold on to some of the whimsy of their childhoods the world might be a better and easier place to live in, because there would always be something to believe in to bring the child out in us.

Sensei Fuzzball:catgirl:[/COLOR][/I]

The tooth fairy I never believed in, The easter bunny, till I was about 5. But Santa Claus, of course he is real, hope all you nonbelievers enjoy your hickory sticks :animedepr(Southern version of getting coal). As for believing in a higher power, not really, I think theres no real way of knowing whether or not a higher power or powers exist, I guess you could call me an agnostic, whatever:animesigh. Aliens are a possibility, Espers, time travellers, evil conspiracies (NHK, fool), ect. I would like to believe are real, but they're pretty doubtful. Maybe we're reincarnated into something when we die, maybe I am God, and the universe is a product of my doing (Muhahaha), Maybe the universe is a false reality which is perpetuated by the ACTUAL dominant species of the universe in order to keep humans ignorant of the truth. I really dont know, nor it is it possible for me to know.

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I stopped believing in Santa when I saw a present from him, the wrapping was the same for other presents, as was the purple paper inside. But my nieces still believe. I think I should just go tell them that Santa isn't real and end the Santa clause charade.

I'm not very religious, but I do believe in god and Jesus. But my grandmother rambles about god constantly and it annoys me to no end. She says that all ghosts are evil, they are not all evil. I don't mind if you're religious, it just bugs me when people talk about it [B][I]all [/I][/B]the time.

I believe in ghosts too, I'm fascinated by them actually. There are so many haunted houses in Northern NY, it's not even funny. Spirits, ghosts, shadows, yarp real. A lot of my friends have encountered them. Alas, I haven't... But when I do, I'll cherish the moment until I die/forget.

As for aliens. Are you crazy! I've seen a UFO fly above my house before, and I'm not being sarcastic. I mean there has to be some other form of life besides us humans. Otherwise our search for alien life would be futile. And if there isn't life on other planets, then why are there other planets? It just doesn't make sense that we're the only ones in the universe, I mean come on!

I also believe in karma. Screw someone and you'll get screwed back. I believe in luck, just not the thought that breaking mirrors gives you a certain number of years bad luck. I just find it ridiculous, but if you believe; hey, it's your provocative.

The tooth fairy; fake! The easter bunny; stealing easter from Jesus, which is evil beyond evil by the way. Damn rabbits... >_>[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]I do believe in God.

Santa Clause did exist, as St. Nicholas. Duh. Anyway, I was one of those kids who didn't want to let go. I miss those days actually, Christmas presents seemed more exciting. I'm not sure how old I was when I figured it out.

The Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy took me awhile too. Hey, I've always had a big imagination. Besides, my parents were good with hiding these. One year after I lost a tooth my parents put glitter(fairy dust) into my doll house, with this little tiny letter which was supposed to be from the Tooth Fairy, which they bought somewhere. It was so clever though.

Faeries I never believed in, though I did sort of believe in Leprichauns for a little while. Aliens, I don't know, and I don't really care.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Charles']I've never stopped believing.

Santa and Jesus ftw![/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Quoted for truth. I hope Santa comes and beats you all with sacks of coal this Christmas for your lack of faith. :p

All kidding aside, I stopped believing in Santa at about age eight when one of the kids in the class ahead of me told pretty much everyone in our class that there was no such thing as Santa Claus. The teachers went ballistic at him and tried to reassure us all that he did indeed exist, but even then I think we all just knew it was the truth.

As for how log I've believed in Jesus/God, everyday of my life and I don't imagine that will change any time soon. And seeing as nobody else has done it yet.

[CENTER][IMG]http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/300W/fs5.deviantart.com/i/2005/131/a/b/Lack_of_Faith_by_lerms.jpg[/IMG][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]You people are dumb. I can't believe nobody knows the truth! I mean, it's so damn obvious! Gosh!! How could none of you know? Santa is Jesus!!! Just like the wearwolf transforms under the full moon, Jesus transforms into Santa on Christmas Eve! He kinda transforms like optimus prime does. He shoots presents out of his plasma cannon arms and drives around in a big truck... And the easter bunny is actually a ninja turtle...

Needless to say, i'm agnostic. I've only been agnostic for a year or two. It was a smooth transition so there isn't a precise date. I'm somewhat of a realist. I used to be more of one then i realized reality doesn't mean **** to me. It's my perception of reality that truly matters to me, not the actuality of it. If i want to believe the easter bunny is a genetically mutated crime fighting turtle then by-golly it is! ::sigh:: I do miss my old naive self though... i was so sure of everything. Life had purpose, i was happier. Oh well.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

I never actually believed in Santa Claus. My parents weren't very keen on keeping it up, I geuss they were just lazy. Added to that, I have an older brother who is one of those bloody eceptionally gifted children or... whatever you call them. He was too 'smart' to believe in Santa or the Easter Bunny and constantly shunned or contridicted the belief if anyone else brought it up in his presence.

Still, it didn't stop us from using Santa Claus as a means of controlling our younger sister, haha.

As for God or religious beliefs I have to point out my brother again. Four years a head of me and what seemed like four centuries of reasons [i]against[/i] religion. I was never forced into anything, but growing up with someone who is exceptionally intelligent (and always right), the prospect of doubting my brother was unthinkable. I assumed he was right for a number of years.

Of course when I grew up I came to realise he helped lay the foundation for me to pick my own path. If he did not convince me of a lack-of-god, then I'm sure I'd have found it for myself later on.

That being said I have the upmost respect for those who still believe in any form of religion. Being faithless isn't really all too cool anymore.

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]If I remember correctly, it was around 11 years of age I snooped around my parents' room and found presents from 'Santa' in the closet. Ever since my discovery I kept the facade up with my parents until my younger siblings gradually came to the conclusion that Santa didn't really come down our chimney every year. Somewhat still believe in the idea of Santa, as it does bring out the good and joy in people that time of year.

I can't say I don't believe the the big J...I just got sick of the idea after being a stalwart Catholic for around 21 years and then crap just hitting the fan. Where is Jesus you ask? He's in the box with the manger waiting for next Christmas to come out :animeknow.

Aliens? Why not, I'm fairly certain there's life out there. I don't think it was some freak accident that caused life on Earth and no where else in the ever expandingly ginormous universe. Just as long as they have chocolate-chip cookie dough icecream and hot gals I'll be more than happy to meet them... If there those big black eyed grey men from Fire in the Sky? F that.

The end.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My sisters and I were talking about this the other day. When my eldest sister asked about Santa Claus when she was younger, my mother said that [B]Santa doesn't come to black people.[/B] :animestun My mom made it know that it's the parents who spend their hard earned money on presents.

As for me, my eldest sister tried her hardest to make me believe in Santa. I was iffy of his existence (because a lot of television), until one Christmas Eve, I couldn't go to sleep. So, I went to my parents room, and I saw my sister and my parents wrapping up presents. After that, I knew for sure he didn't exist.

I only 'believed' in the tooth fairy to get money. It worked once, but I only got about fifteen cents and a button. I think my brother was the one who put that under my pillow...

The Easter Bunny... according to a story I read, he's an enslaved person or something. It was a good read, but I don't believe. Plus, I agree with Premonition, he is sooo stealing Jesus' day.

I believe in practically everything else. Aliens, ghosts, God, Faeries, mutants, wizards and whatever else I think seems intreasting to believe in. :p[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Well I stopped believing in Santa around 4th grade, but my family still caried on the traditions even though I was the youngest child in the house. We still left out milk and cookies, mainly because we made our own cookies and there was always leftovers. I dunno there was always a part of me that wanted to still beileve in Santa simply because I could figure out were my parents hide all the stuff that 'magiclly' appeared the following morning. Yet with all that aside, I just can't wait to havw my own kids, just so that I can keep Santa alive.

Now Aliens, ghosts, and God are all iffy to me. I mean I think theres a possiblity, that they may be real but who knows. When it comes to God all the other religions confuse me, I mean whos right? I personally think that there is a Higher Being but is it God? I don't really know, I was raise as a Southern Baptist but my church was never obessed with the fire and brimstone so maybe that has something to do with my lack of faith. Yet, I've always had trouble with faith in things I can't see, hense why I don't beileve in ghost but if theres a ghost show on, change channel. That stuff just freaks me out @.@[/COLOR][/SIZE]