OtakuBoards

A Little Space

2010DigitalBoy

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I am likely going to get smacked in the face for being so vain, but I've got a suggestion for ye board designers.

Okay, so as you all know, right under your username is your status as either a New Member or Member, and under that is your personal title. And under that is a link to your myOtaku if you have one, stating when it was last updated and linking to the guestbook and adding as a friend.

Well, here's my hangup. The bar with the myotaku thing is really long and, in my opinion, really ugly. Whereas my name and other info is pretty and awesome, the big ugly thing messes up the whole setup. A lot of people have really cool, stylish titles that are squished by the long bar.

Is there anyway that the myOtaku thing could be a line lower? It doesn't seem like it would streth out the box thingy. Perhaps if the other stuff is raised a little it could be lowered.

I hope I don't look like a complete *** complaining about this. Has anyone else noticed this?[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I have noticed, and I agree. I don't see why we need to know when our accounts were last updated either, I'm sure the mods have something that tells them this. The whole line about the MyOtaku profile is huge and it does take away from the custom title.

[QUOTE][size=3]Premonition[/size]
[size=1]Member
Custom Title

MyOtaku profile: [Sign Guestbook][Add Me as Friend][/size][/QUOTE]

I find that it loooks better that way. But it could just be the way it is by default.[/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]This could very easily be changed but I actually think it would look worse with a line break between the titles and the myOtaku info. It seems completely random to me and breaks the flow of the lines.

If people really don't like how the myOtaku line is so much longer, though, there's something else I could look into doing that might be better. That is, having the myOtaku info on multiple lines, floated and aligned to the right so it would sit next to the avatar.

[b]Edit:[/b]
Or we could just get rid of the guestbook and friend links to make the line shorter. Those bits always seemed unnecessary to me since there's already a link to the person's main page, from which you can do both of those things.[/color]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]If people really don't like how the myOtaku line is so much longer, though, there's something else I could look into doing that might be better. That is, having the myOtaku info on multiple lines, floated and aligned to the right so it would sit next to the avatar.[/color][/QUOTE]Until this thread went up I had never given it a second thought. lol It doesn't look strange to me at all. Still I would be curious to see what the other you mentioned looks like Des. ^_~
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#606060]I had thought about using images rather than text for part of that line...but I agree that making a line break would look awkward in practice.

As for why it says when you are last updated...that isn't a Moderator feature. The whole idea behind that is that other [i]members[/i] can see when you've last updated.

This way as you browse OB you can see which members a) have a profile/blog and b) when they've last updated. The information is designed to make communication between members easier...and to allow myOtaku users to broadcast their site to other members.[/color]

[COLOR=#35425e][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]For once, a proposition where I completely I agree with 2007DigitalBoy. It really could use some formatting, seeing how glaring the difference between "Member" and "myOtakujujujjuju" in terms of length is.

Is there any way I (or anyone authorized) can remove that part? Or, can such an option be available/automatic to people who haven't updated their myOtaku for, say, 6 months? It's a really unsightly line. :animedepr[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]^ My thoughts exactly. I haven't used MyO for years but have never been able to find a way to detach this account from that one. I can't see a point in it being there if there's nothing to look at any more, anyway. I think a simple tick box in our options would solve the problem if people are really annoyed about it.

Saying that, though, it doesn't bother me a lot. I guess I'm just so used to it by now I don't ever give it a second glance.

[B]EDIT:[/B] DB, your custom title is from the FFXII OST, right? That gives you minor cool points in my book. Well done.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Well, I like that line so I'd rather that it stay instead of being done away with. Though making it so it's a choice seems ideal, if not then this is the best solution in my opinion:[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082][b]Edit:[/b]
Or we could just get rid of the guestbook and friend links to make the line shorter. Those bits always seemed unnecessary to me since there's already a link to the person's main page, from which you can do both of those things.[/color][/QUOTE]That way those of us who like it still have it available and the removal of the other two links would shorten it up quite a bit. Since like Des said, visiting someone's myOtaku page means you have access to adding them as a friend or signing their guest book so those two are a bit redundant and unnecessary.[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]I tend to agree with Jamie, simply being able to detach your MyO profile from your OB profile seems like the best solution, given it does look rather unsightly and most people haven't used their MyO's seriously in months or years.

James's idea of replacing them with images is actually interesting though, I'd like to see what that would look like too.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Desbreko'][COLOR=#4b0082]Or we could just get rid of the guestbook and friend links to make the line shorter. Those bits always seemed unnecessary to me since there's already a link to the person's main page, from which you can do both of those things.[/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I think this is probably the best solution, though being able to detach the accounts isn't a bad idea to go along with it. I've always questioned the need for the guestbook links, especially since view and sign take you to the same page, so removing that, along with the friend link seems like a good way to go.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=#606060]Or we could just have "Guestbook" and "Add Me as Friend" rather than the whole "View/Sign" thing. I think we can experiment with this.

I have other ideas with this line though for OB:E, but there might be technical limitations.

At the very least though you can be sure we'll make some sort of edit to this function to make it more convenient for everyone.[/color]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082][b]Edit:[/b]
Or we could just get rid of the guestbook and friend links to make the line shorter. Those bits always seemed unnecessary to me since there's already a link to the person's main page, from which you can do both of those things.[/color][/QUOTE]I like this idea instead of getting rid of the line. Or the ability to choose works for me. But in the end... I like having the line there, at least the part that lets you know if someone has updated recently. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I'm another one that would welcome an option to DEtach, as well as ATtach, the myO links. My page on myO is actually disabled (because I don't use it any more) so the links in my postbit don't even lead anywhere. Seems pretty pointless.

I'm happy to wait for OB:E though. The postbit's been like that long enough without killing anyone.

[color=#4B0082]I updated the postbit to make the myOtaku line a little shorter and remove the redundancy of the view/sign guestbook links.

Right now I'm looking into a good way to make a Detach myOtaku Account feature. It can be done by removing the necessary profile fields but if we make them editable then people would be able to put in someone else's myOtaku name and user ID. So I'm trying to learn a little PHP, to make a form (like a button or something) that, when submitted, would just clear those profile fields.[/color]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]You could probably remove the word View too and just leave a Guestbook link.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]And on a related note, I've worked extensively with PHP recently so I'd be happy to help out if you need it. Just let me know.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]
Right now I'm looking into a good way to make a Detach myOtaku Account feature. It can be done by removing the necessary profile fields but if we make them editable then people would be able to put in someone else's myOtaku name and user ID. So I'm trying to learn a little PHP, to make a form (like a button or something) that, when submitted, would just clear those profile fields.[/color][/QUOTE]

That would be great. I deleted my myOtaku account a while ago (hadn't used it for over a year), but the link leading nowhere is still up...

[quote name='Sandy']That would be great. I deleted my myOtaku account a while ago (hadn't used it for over a year), but the link leading nowhere is still up...[/QUOTE]That's interesting, because I'm currently logged into myO and clicking on your link says this: [B]The user profile you were trying to access is currently turned off.[/B] So are you sure you deleted it? Or did you just turn it off?

Anyway, it does look nicer now that it's shortened up, but I still think removing those last two bits about view guestbook and Add as a friend is a good idea since they are unnecessary. Visiting someone's page via the first link takes you to their front page which has both options there.

[COLOR=#35425e][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][quote name='Rachmaninoff']That's interesting, because I'm currently logged into myO and clicking on your link says this: [B]The user profile you were trying to access is currently turned off.[/B] So are you sure you deleted it? Or did you just turn it off?[/QUOTE]I'm pretty sure Sandy deleted his account. I just deleted mine and the link now displays the same message.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Sirius'][COLOR=#35425e][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]I'm pretty sure Sandy deleted his account. I just deleted mine and the link now displays the same message.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]Interesting, but then then I've gotten the message that [B]no such user exists[/B] when someone has deleted their account before. Instead of the one indicating their profile is turned off.

[color=#4B0082]The detach feature is up and running. Check the announcement for details.

I also went ahead and removed the word View from the postbit. Myself, I'd just like to remove those two links altogether, but I need to check in with James on what he wants to do with them.[/color]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Sandy;788499]That would be great. I deleted my myOtaku account a while ago (hadn't used it for over a year), but the link leading nowhere is still up...[/QUOTE]Traitor, you had the cutest avatar for your site too! lol[quote name='Desbreko;788807][color=#4B0082] Myself, I'd just like to remove those two links altogether, but I need to check in with James on what he wants to do with them.[/color][/QUOTE]I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them gone. [QUOTE=Boo'][size=1']Now I look naked. ^^[/size][/quote]That's what I thought when I tested it. So I went and reattached it immediately. Though if Des hadn't asked me to test it I wouldn't have detached it in the first place. lol Though I do like how it's smaller now. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]long as we're cutting down, you could probably remove the word 'Last' as well. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]This will be rather ironic if that does happen. I'll go from having the huge long bit about myOtaku and guestbook and such to having this huge bit instead:

Category Moderator of Entertainment

I can't win. lol Though truth be known, I like both. Heh.[/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]This will be rather ironic if that does happen. I'll go from having the huge long bit about myOtaku and guestbook and such to having this huge bit instead:

Category Moderator of Entertainment

I can't win. lol Though truth be known, I like both. Heh.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Lulz, I'd pay to have that line under my name XD

Also, quick question, does the canging of the lines have anything to do with the fact that the little grey/blue box beside the names has sunken?[/COLOR]