OtakuBoards

The Otaku Lounge Description

Boo

[size=1]I've been thinking about something that might improve how people think of OtakuBoards, in particular the Otaku Lounge... Right now the Otaku Lounge description is the following: [quote][size=1]Take a seat, a warm cup of coffee and discuss off-topic stuff right here. Remember to keep to the rules.[/size][/quote]
First of all, not many people browse the internet standing, before looking at the description of this board, so what's up with the [i]take a seat[/i] part? Secondly, coffee? Heck, I don't even like coffee myself. Besides, it's symbol for something you drink because you need to stay awake. Is the Otaku Lounge [i]that[/i] dull? Does it get even more dull than the Art Studio in it's current state? I'd much rather have a cup of hot chocolate, a mug of ale or a pint or whatever, mind you. Thirdly, the [i]keep to the rules[/i] part makes no sense and only seems strict and uptight. It's obvious that you should stick to the rules, anyway, and the sticky makes it more obvious.

Therefore, I'd like to suggest to change it to something along lines of the following:[quote][size=1][b]Kick back[/b], [b]have a joint[/b] and discuss off-topic stuff right here.[/size][/quote]It's a lot more inviting and seems a lot more relaxed. Perhaps it's another thing on the way that could help OB loose that "uptight" image that seems to be brought up every now and then.[/size]

[quote name='Boo][QUOTE][size=1]Kick back, [B]have a joint[/B] and discuss off-topic stuff right here. Remember to keep to the rules.[/size'][/QUOTE][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]What about sake? This [I]is[/I] [B]Otaku[/B]Boards, after all.

Other than the joint part, I agree. Right now, it does seem a little on the stuffy side.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Sandy']It says "off-topic"? That's odd, since the discussions at the Lounge are usually very much on topic...[/QUOTE]*poke* One would assume all topics that would be off in other areas of the boards is what it's referring to.

Also... Joint? :laugh: How about simply getting rid of the "Remember to keep to the rules." part instead of joking about getting high to appear less uptight. [/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]*poke* One would assume all topics that would be off in other areas of the boards is what it's referring to.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Hm, some people might get confused because of that though. In my opinion, rather than the board saying "off-topic", it should stress "topics that don't relate to the other boards", or simply put, "general discussion".

Something that usually works for descriptions is questioning.

"Bored and want to talk about that real-world stuff? Care to know about OB's thoughts about *said* topic? Well, you've come to the right place!" <- Horrible example of this [strike]marketing[/strike] description technique.

And also, if you do mention "General Discussion" in a description or change it overall, it might be also good to include a "NOT FOR SPAM" in there too. Ha-ha~ Not that I've seen much of that, but it's always good for a warning.

Just my thoughts~ |・ω・`)

[quote name='Semjaza']The very fact that this has to be discussed at all kind of negates any attempt to undo the uptight image OB may or may not have. The place is starting to get uptight about being too uptight.[/QUOTE]

Stop being so uptight.

I do think that structural changes need to be made across the entire site, but not for the purpose of making the site less "uptight" but simply because the current set-up is kind of stagnant. I don't think we need a fancy new OB Evolution skin for that kind of reworking.

[quote name='Charles']I do think that structural changes need to be made across the entire site, but not for the purpose of making the site less "uptight" but simply because the current set-up is kind of stagnant. I don't think we need a fancy new OB Evolution skin for that kind of reworking.[/QUOTE][size=1]Agreed. Over the years we've gotten a little too comfortable with the status quo, making things a little bit stale as a result. This isn't just about staff or admins; certainly members are as much to blame as anyone else for declining activity.

Creative thinking and new ideas are going to be needed if we hope to make OB appealing to the next generation of potheads.

-Shy[/size]

[color=#4B0082]Wait a minute. . . . You're saying people actually read the forum descriptions? :confused:

Okay, so seriously, I don't have any problem with changing the description. James handles this sort of thing, however, so it's up to him. But I will say that I drink coffee a lot while I'm at my computer so that bit suits me just fine.[/color]

[quote name='Semjaza']The very fact that this has to be discussed at all kind of negates any attempt to undo the uptight image OB may or may not have. The place is starting to get uptight about being too uptight.[/quote] I didn't really read the post as being about that at all. To me it just looked like a random joke on something that everyone's pretty much forgotten about.

[color=#606060]That description was really intended to have a warm/relaxed feeling to it. But don't forget that it was written years ago and has never been updated really.

As far as changing and such...I actually think we are constantly [i]rejecting[/i] the status quo at OtakuBoards. I personally love to change things; I wish I could work full-time on OB, lol.

Unfortunately when things do change some people tend to say "Things are changing too much, please keep some things the same like we remember them!"

In any case, I'm more than happy for the forum description to change if that's what members want. It can be changed to whatever you like, so long as the word "joint" isn't included (as much as that might keep the place calm ~_^).

Edit: And yes, to agree with John...I don't think there was anything uptight about this thread. Seems to me that it's intended to be funny/random more than anything, lol.[/color]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]As far as changing and such...I actually think we are constantly [i]rejecting[/i] the status quo at OtakuBoards. I personally love to change things; I wish I could work full-time on OB, lol.

Unfortunately when things do change some people tend to say "Things are changing too much, please keep some things the same like we remember them!"[/color][/QUOTE][size=1]We just want things to be totally new and unexpected, yet not really change at all. You should be used to our unreasonable demands by now, James.

-Shy[/size] :whoops:

[quote name='James][color=#606060']Edit: And yes, to agree with John...I don't think there was anything uptight about this thread. Seems to me that it's intended to be funny/random more than anything, lol.[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Oh, but don't you see? Now we're being all uptight again. Humbug.

Actually, what about:
[QUOTE][SIZE="1"]Come on in, kick back, and join the conversation. Strike up your own if you feel like it. Topics are fair game, but remember to play nice.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

It just kind of occurred to me, but it feels decent.[/FONT]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]We just want things to be totally new and unexpected, yet not really change at all. You should be used to our unreasonable demands by now, James.

-Shy[/size] :whoops:[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Word. :animesmil

I kinda like the quote Allamorph has in his post, seems to sum up The Lounge fairly well. Last line just needs to be a little more relaxed though.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Wait a minute. . . . You're saying people actually read the forum descriptions? :confused:[/color][/QUOTE][size=1]I had my "Hot Chocolate!" thread in mind when the 'hot coffee' part of the description caught my eye. Seriously, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what the description said before I created this thread. I just figured that I'd rather have it say "have a cup of hot chocolate", than "have a cup of hot coffee". It's the whole intention of this thread really. Later someone suggested me to add the "have a joint" part. Actually, I couldn't care less about the descripition, as long as the coffee part changes.

It's all about the hot chocolate, darnit! I demand acknowledgement!

[b]Edit:[/b] The above works. You go, Debbie![/size]

[quote]Sit back, relax and talk about anything not covered by another forum here.[/quote]

[color=#606060]This description looks as good as any to me. At this stage I don't think we should even have to say "play nice" - that should be a given.[/color]

[quote name='James][color=#606060']This description looks as good as any to me. At this stage I don't think we should even have to say "play nice" - that should be a given.[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Yeah, I was just trying to think of a way to say 'you still need to observe the rules' without saying 'you still need to observe the rules'.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, mind.[/FONT]