OtakuBoards

Otaku Event Brainstorm

Justin

As the title suggests, this is the official thread to suggest all of your Otaku Event ideas. Many were already suggested in the Event Master Auditions thread, I ask that they all be re-posted here.

I'll be more than willing to work alongside members with good, viable event ideas.

Let's brainstorm.

-Justin

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]First off Kam, congrats on being the new EVENT MASTAH!!! Now here's my ideas...

[B]An Annual Otakuboards Award Show[/B]. This would be something we do every year, around X-Mas time, where we would nominate people in various Categories such as (Member of the Year, Mod of the Year,most hilarious poster, most quoted in others posts, and other categories based on user submission) I would have a nomination thread going and then a voting thread. The actual awards would consist of a long post of giving out the awards to others. I would like to make little digital e-cards that we can send out to the winners in the form of a PM or e-mail. We would even have people who would act as presenters and so forth.

[B]The Otakuboards showdown: Battle of the Brains.[/B] This is a sillier premise, but I thought it'd be cool. Essentialy it's like a fight, but with skills that everyone has on the Boards...words. It's basically a verbal argument where each poster is given A topic (like abortion or practically anything that comes out of the Lounge, lol) and four posts each (one to open their argument, one to present why we should choose their argument, one to rebuke the other contestant, and one to close their argument) and the winner is decided by a panel of other members who wins the argument based on various criteria (persuasive technique, hard facts, clarity of arguments, rebuttal skills, overall speaking skill...etc). The winner would move on in a tournament style until the ultimate poster was decided. It's a little corny, but I'd like to see how people can use the skills they have available to them here on the Boards.

I'd like to get the ball rolling on the Otakuboards Award show, since the year is coming to a close. Whattya think? [/FONT]

An Otaku Awards shindig is already in the works. However, I do like your other idea. It would be difficult to pull off, and it has the potential to be a bit explosive. But I like it.

We would have to moderate it strictly, to prevent an intelligent debate from become a pissing contest.

We'll talk more, via PM.

-Justin

OtakuBoards Tetris.

There would be two teams--the "shapes" and the "blockers." The shapes would be the offensive team, and the blockers would be defensive. Here's how the game would work:

The "shapes" team would use conventional Tetris shapes as their avatars. Within the game thread, a list of questions will be posted based off of Otakupedia entries, forum trivia, and other assorted OtakuBoards subjects (sort of like Jeopordy). Both sides would be responsible for answering these same questions. However, it wouldn't necessarily be how [i]fast[/i] each team could find the answers. Each team would live or die based on communication and coordination.

You see, the goal of the "shapes" team would be for each player to post in an order that allows them to make one or more straight lines, just like in Tetris. The correct players would have to do answer the questions successively without interruption. The job of the blockers would be to interrupt the posting string by answering the questions in-between the posts of the "shape" players. Each side would altnerate between offense and defense--that is, once the "shape" side either makes a line or is blocked, they would become the "blockers' and the "blockers" would become the "shapes."

What do you think, Justin?

[quote name='Charles']OtakuBoards Tetris.

There would be two teams--the "shapes" and the "blockers." The shapes would be the offensive team, and the blockers would be defensive. Here's how the game would work:

The "shapes" team would use conventional Tetris shapes as their avatars. Within the game thread, a list of questions will be posted based off of Otakupedia entries, forum trivia, and other assorted OtakuBoards subjects (sort of like Jeopordy). Both sides would be responsible for answering these same questions. However, it wouldn't necessarily be how [I]fast[/I] each team could find the answers. Each team would live or die based on communication and coordination.

You see, the goal of the "shapes" team would be for each player to post in an order that allows them to make one or more straight lines, just like in Tetris. The correct players would have to do answer the questions successively without interruption. The job of the blockers would be to interrupt the posting string by answering the questions in-between the posts of the "shape" players. Each side would altnerate between offense and defense--that is, once the "shape" side either makes a line or is blocked, they would become the "blockers' and the "blockers" would become the "shapes."

What do you think, Justin?[/quote] Anything that gives me an excuse to say, "C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!" on OB is fine with me.

• 4 months later...
*Wipes off the dust*

Inspired by [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=59006][U]Aceburner's fanfic on the Anthology[/U][/url] (all props to him), I'd like to suggest an [B]OtakuBoards Trial[/B], where, like in the fic, different members would play out different parts (victims, suspects, attorneys, prosecutors, judges, investigators etc). There would be several cases, and the catch would be that members would have to collect clues about them, eventually finding out which suspect was guilty. The cases don't all have to be about murder, though.

This would make a great little event to this place, in my opinion. It's been awfully quiet here for a long time, after all... :/

[quote name='Sandy']*Wipes off the dust*

Inspired by [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=59006][U]Aceburner's fanfic on the Anthology[/U][/url] (all props to him), I'd like to suggest an [B]OtakuBoards Trial[/B], where, like in the fic, different members would play out different parts (victims, suspects, attorneys, prosecutors, judges, investigators etc).[/QUOTE]

Alright, If this does go down, I want to be prosecutor. That is all.

Thanks for the support, Sandy!

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"][B][U]Bermuda Triangle[/U]: The Sequel[/B]. I want to defend my title, or at least pass it on. But I want to add something else to make it harder. Besides finding things on OB, a wikipedia thing would also be cool, like give hints to find articles and stuff like that, or maybe if possible, even edit Otakupedia articles so someone would have to find stuff there.

I think it's only fair that we pass on this title every year or so it would be fun. Plus, it was a very fun event and it made OB a little more active.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]We are actually thinking of changing the format of events on OB somewhat. It has been difficult to maintain ongoing events - even though I think the members are interested, it's just been hard to run them and establish them from the staff side.

So we have considered ways to change the nature of events on OB.

For instance, if you look at the Graphic Worm... I'd almost say that's an ongoing event. It's something the whole community can enjoy, but it really makes sense for it to be in Art Studio rather than here.

I have considered the idea of allowing members to make their own events across the site, or to nominate events that we can approve (so each forum could have different events running at different times). We might simply keep an active list of them here or elsewhere.

Anyway, perhaps we can use this thread to discuss the future of OB Community Events. What are your ideas in terms of the overall format? I'd like to see what the members think about this.[/font]

[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]For instance, if you look at the Graphic Worm... I'd almost say that's an ongoing event. It's something the whole community can enjoy, but it really makes sense for it to be in Art Studio rather than here.

I have considered the idea of allowing members to make their own events across the site, or to nominate events that we can approve (so each forum could have different events running at different times). We might simply keep an active list of them here or elsewhere.[/font][/QUOTE]
[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial][SIZE="1"]Perhaps, then, if events were tailored to a specific area and its denizens, they might see more action and [I]inter[/I]action. A regulated debate in [B]Anime Central[/B] over characters/series, for instance, or writing challenges for the [B]Anthology[/B], or trivia matches in the [B]Arcade[/B] or the [B]Lounge[/B].

Does that follow? Or am I being too complicated again?[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]See, now I just feel like a jerk....

But yeah, I would also classify the Poetry Contest as an event, so I am all for the idea of forum-specific-ness. :animesmil It might also give the Event Master a reason to post officially outside of this area; they could start stuff off and work with each area's moderators on overseeing and such necessary stuff, so they'd get involved too.

I love how specific I was in that paragraph. :p[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph;812109][FONT=Arial]See, now I just feel like a jerk....[/FONT][/QUOTE]You mean you're not? [I]*ducks*[/I] [spoiler]kidding[/spoiler][QUOTE=Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]But yeah, I would also classify the Poetry Contest as an event, so I am all for the idea of forum-specific-ness. :animesmil It might also give the Event Master a reason to post officially outside of this area; they could start stuff off and work with each area's moderators on overseeing and such necessary stuff, so they'd get involved too.

I love how specific I was in that paragraph. :p[/FONT][/QUOTE]Seems to me that this area could be used as a means to get the word out for events like the Poetry Contest going on in the Anthology. Just as it could also be used to host major events like the Nifty Fifty or the Bermuda Triangle.

It would be nice to possibly have a thread that is updated by say the Event Master with current events running on the boards, so members could request that their particular idea, if approved is advertised. Much like the coming attractions thread only in this case nothing would be posted unless said event was actually launched.

It might also be a good idea to have say a committee of members who help the Event Master... so when a major event launches, they could be called on to help out. People could volunteer to be on a list just for that purpose.

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]The thing is, where would the Nffty Fifty and other Otaku Award Events go? Major events like that could be hosted here, because they don't necesarily involve a lot of the subjects that the different forums are used for.

And would we be able to turn the Main Event thread into a sticky in that forum, just until it's over, than it can be un-stickified, that would save inactivity without causing too much harm.

And, this may seem silly, but it's possible there could even be a MRC (Member Run Commitee) and a MARC (Moderator & Admin Run Commitee) That serves to regulate the events, supply graphics and stuff for events, and help members with their events that they have planned, as well as various stuff for events. Sort of like congress. The MRC could talk about plans and go to the MARC for approval. The MRC can be run by strictly members, and the MARC could be run by all the mods and admins.

But no president, if there had to be one though, Des would have to take the stand <3 [spoiler]Yeah I know, secret Des-fanboy right here[/spoiler][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1]The thing is that members are [i]always[/i] called upon to help make these events a reality. If the Event Master can't assemble a group of like-minded individuals to support and develop their project then they may be ill-equipped for the job. I mean, it's not like we're trying to get people to join the army, it shouldn't be a chore.

And if you thought getting one person to create an event was difficult, try working through the red tape of getting [i]multiple[/i] individuals to agree on something.

I kind of like Sandy's OB court idea. It's very similar to an RPG I'm thinking about launching, heh.

-Shy[/size]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]I kind of like [B]Sandy's[/B] OB court idea. It's very similar to an RPG I'm thinking about launching, heh.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sandy'][B]Inspired by [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=59006][U]Aceburner's fanfic on the Anthology[/U][/url] (all props to him),[/B] I'd like to suggest an [B]OtakuBoards Trial[/B][/QUOTE]

:grumble:

Kidding, Kidding. I was kind of thinking of RPG ideas for that kind of thing, too. I'll make sure to be a part of that if it happens.

As for Prem's committee idea, I'd say it might be a better idea to find other members to collaborate with and form a committee and then pitch the idea and have other members vote on whether they want it to be an Event.

Also at Prem: [spoiler]come on, man. Just join the club already. You know you want to.[/spoiler]

[INDENT][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][B]OtakuBoards MMORPG[/B]

I was thinking of doing this by myself but it's too big of a task for one person so I present it to you as an event idea. Basically it's a MMORPG-style RP where posting actually makes you level up (1 post = 1 level, maybe at higher levels it takes more posts to get the level). [i]But[/i] you can only level up in certain threads. ;)

There would be two main threads. The Monster Territory and the Otaku Territory. In the Otaku Territory, you're safe. You're free to do whatever you want. Except in Otaku Territory, posts give no experience. You have to go to the [I]Monster[/I] Territory and fight monsters, complete quests and party with other Otakus if you want to level up.

There would be tons of unlockables as far as motivation for leveling goes. There could be certain threads that you can't see until you hit a certain level. Of course equipment has level restrictions too (killing monsters also gets you money to buy things at the shop).

The way Questing would work is any member can post a quest (they can make up a reward to go with it) and any member -if they are within the quest givers chosen level restriction- can accept that quest. Once you accept you're free to post yourself doing the quest and that can take as long as you feel it should take. Quests can be created in both Territories but only Monster Quests can give you experience

Rewards could be something like armor or a weapon (which the quest giver can completely make up) but they could also be more creative things like maybe a special member title (in which case you'd have to be a high level to attempt the quest) or a custom made banner ([I]if[/I] the quest giver is willing to make it every time someone completes their quest).

The great thing is because it's an MMORPG, people write and level at their own individual pace. You could join really late and still be able to catch up to high levels (if they've slowed down leveling).

So yeah, there is lots of room for creativity.[/COLOR][/FONT][/INDENT]

[quote name='8bit'][INDENT][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][B]OtakuBoards MMORPG[/B]

I was thinking of doing this by myself but it's too big of a task for one person so I present it to you as an event idea. Basically it's a MMORPG-style RP where posting actually makes you level up (1 post = 1 level, maybe at higher levels it takes more posts to get the level). [i]But[/i] you can only level up in certain threads. ;)

There would be two main threads. The Monster Territory and the Otaku Territory. In the Otaku Territory, you're safe. You're free to do whatever you want. Except in Otaku Territory, posts give no experience. You have to go to the [I]Monster[/I] Territory and fight monsters, complete quests and party with other Otakus if you want to level up.

There would be tons of unlockables as far as motivation for levelling goes. There could be certain threads that you can't see until you hit a certain level. Of course equipment has level restrictions too (killing monsters also gets you money to buy things at the shop).

The way Questing would work is any member can post a quest (they can make up a reward to go with it) and any member -if they are within the quest givers chosen level restriction- can accept that quest. Once you accept you're free to post yourself doing the quest and that can take as long as you feel it should take. Quests can be created in both Territories but only Monster Quests can give you experience

Rewards could be something like armor or a weapon (which the quest giver can completely make up) but they could also be more creative things like maybe a special member title (in which case you'd have to be a high level to attempt the quest) or a custom made banner ([I]if[/I] the quest giver is willing to make it every time someone completes their quest).

The great thing is because it's an MMORPG, people write and level at there own individual pace. You could join really late and still be able to catch up to high levels (if they've slowed down levelling).

So yeah, there is lots of room for creativity.[/COLOR][/FONT][/INDENT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Reminds me of Sandy's OB-session MMO idea from a while back. As I said then, it sounded rather interesting, if it could actually be pulled off successfully, and that hasn't changed. If a board-wide MMO could be set up, I'd happily get involved.

Also, the Court idea sounds cool, but for just to fun of it, I think jury members should have to be selected completely at random, just for the fun of people complaining in AIM conversations that they'd gotten jury duty.[/SIZE]

That really does sound like an awesome idea. As far as the "court" would go though. Since you can't always trust people to write all the time, and finish their commitments (I know sometimes it can't be helped.) But instead in my opinion, you'd have to make it a random selection of people who've proven themselves committed to posting. That way it wouldn't pick someone who'd posted one time in a year, or who leaves RPs alot.

By and by, it's too bad there isn't a voting system on Otaku for the theater. In which someone who quits an RP, ( I'd like to stress quits not isn't on for a long time), this would involve something the author and/or other members of the story could click, either in the persons profile or a button in their signature. This could somehow keep a running tally of how many stories this person has quit. And someone could just locate (thanks to the nifty thing someone already thought of) he person's other posts and find out how many were stories. This way an author would know how trustworthy a person is. Hmmm...just something to think about I suppose.

[size=1]If your idea could include the Art Studio and give people experience posts to create posts there (more quality results in better rewards), I'm all for.

You could also have people post art and ask for a certain degree of criticism. You get very little experience from really soft criticism and you get a lot more when you request very nitpicky criticism.

... Yeah. Sounds great.

Anyhow, I know that there's forum features for vB that allow RPG things. If they could be implemented on a smaller scale, that'd be great. Or maybe this event could use a part of the OB Network or something.[/size]

• 3 weeks later...
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=royalblue]All right, I've been trying to come up with an interesting event that might shakes thing up, but this is all that I've come up with so far.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=royalblue]This idea is based on an online RPG I was involved in when I was younger, so all of the ideas are not really concrete. It was basically a glorified D&D rpg that would never admit it, but that's basically what it was. Members would join and get the basic starter equipment that everyone would start with, choose from a plethora of starting classes, choose their race, religion, and so on. The easiest way to describe it would be as a text-based MMORPG. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=royalblue]The moderators of the game would create different quests and events for their members, usually allowing only a certain amount of members per quest to join to keep it from becoming too crazy. Sometimes characters would be attacked by monsters and that's when the dice-based combat system would come into play, where monsters all had different hit points and attack ratings and the damage a character made was based off of the weapon they were using, obviously better quality weapons would do more damage. It seems like it would be boring, but with the randomness of the dice and such it would actually become quite addicting to participate in. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=royalblue]The system was a lot more indepth than I'm describing, but I'm just trying to draw some general interest in an idea. The rpg was run on an mRPG server, but I can easily see the system working in an AIM chat server or any kind of chat room that's able to utilize a random dice system. I know many OtakuBoards members love them some rp'ing, and some added activity outside of the boards may do us some good.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=royalblue]I know one thing I loved about this kind of rp system was that if your character lost all of his/her health on a quest, they were dead. For good. If you were close to dying you could have someone heal you or you could decide to give up on the quest, but if you died your only options were to either quit the rp all together or create a new character and start over. It kept things fresh, suprisingly. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=navy]Edit: I guess maybe this idea wasn't a very good one. Oh well, maybe next time.[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]
Also, the Court idea sounds cool, but for just to fun of it, I think jury members should have to be selected completely at random, just for the fun of people complaining in AIM conversations that they'd gotten jury duty.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="1"]That would be [i]brilliant[/i]. The OB Court would be an excellent event, very tongue-in-cheek.

We have had a lot of fun, creative, [and rewarding] events here on the boards. Forgive my memory, but we haven't had a really serious event.

I'm not talking a creative writing challenge involving macabre and gritty adventures, but something that really involves people for who they are. I would like to suggest a mature OB Interview event, something along the lines of [b][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enough_Rope"]Enough[/URL] [URL="http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/"]Rope[/URL][/b] or maybe even [b][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson_%28TV_series%29"]Parkinson[/URL][/b], with multiple guests, at the same time.

It would be nice to see members really opening up about themselves, talking about their lives, goals, aspirations. What drew them to the boards? What are they grateful for? It would add a strong human element [a face behind the avatar, even] that I think we could really benefit from.

That's not to say there wouldn't be humour in this, or there would be questions the interviewee [i]had[/i] to answer [hence the two examples I gave]. This event would have to be run by an empathetic, compassionate and dedicated individual, that won't be afraid to ask the hard questions.

The brilliant thing is that we won't have to always rely on the regular faces seen on the boards, or hear from the "typical guest." All members on OB have lives and fascinating backgrounds, they are [i]all[/i] people with stories to tell.

That's not to say I wouldn't mind knowing more about our moderators, I'm just suggesting that this event wouldn't need to worry about having its options limited.

I'm not sure how you would go about producing this event, however. Posting a list of questions and having the interviewee respond to them, just doesn't have the dynamic needed for this sort of thing. It'd need to be an interactive event between the member and the interviewer. Maybe an IM interview that gets transcribed here? A live feed on theOtaku that we can see happen real time, and that gets transcribed here later? [Hm, there'd be a lot of coding there..]

I'm not sure, this may be a little too serious for an OB Event.

I honestly believe, though, that we could all benefit from such a mature look at who we are as a web community. There are some amazing, inspiring, personal stories here, I'd like to see them heard.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I would still like to see some kind of regular or semi-regular podcast.

I have the software to edit podcasts and such, but I haven't produced one before.

It'd need to be organised, but...I think you could do the interviews verbally and have people download them. Then they could comment on them here. This would give that sense of things being new and different, rather than just text.

So as to keep things easier, it could be done once per month or something...and you'd have to organise things around timezones and such. I think with Skype you can have multiple people on in multiple places...that'd be fun. I'm just not sure how to go about recording Skype conversations - maybe someone can advise us on that?

I'd literally like to see "OB Radio" as an ongoing feature on this site. We could do more than interviews, too. It'd be fun to do reviews or previews of RPGs, even.

We could even hold public auditions for hosts, perhaps. I think there are a ton of things we could do with that. And of course, the MP3 file would be hosted here...so the creators would be supported in that sense.[/font]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]An OtakuBoards "Radio" Podcast would be just [i]awesome[/i]. I'm surprised nobody thought of that sooner. Interviewing other members of the site/theOtaku would be neat. It'd be really cool to put a voice to all the members here.

We could have small commercials to advertise threads or something. Or what if we got some members to write one of those old audio-only shows they played on the radios way back when? There is a lot you can do with a podcast.

Really I'd be happy with [I]any[/I] sort of event right now. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]I'd literally like to see "OB Radio" as an ongoing feature on this site. We could do more than interviews, too. It'd be fun to do reviews or previews of RPGs, even.[/font][/QUOTE][size=1]Couldn't we make a 'real' radio station streaming via iTunes or something? We could include member-created content and then combine it with anime music (or whatever.) There could even be a requests thread, or dedication, or whatever.

Everyone has such diverse tastes. It would be interesting to see what kinds of songs people suggested.

I'm not sure about the technical aspects behind it, but I've looked into doing something like this before and it didn't seem really complicated. The biggest thing is finding a server to host all of the music files, and making sure that it can support all of the traffic such a radio station would presumably generate.

-Shy[/size]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]Couldn't we make a 'real' radio station streaming via iTunes or something? We could include member-created content and then combine it with anime music (or whatever.) There could even be a requests thread, or dedication, or whatever.

Everyone has such diverse tastes. It would be interesting to see what kinds of songs people suggested.

I'm not sure about the technical aspects behind it, but I've looked into doing something like this before and it didn't seem really complicated. The biggest thing is finding a server to host all of the music files, and making sure that it can support all of the traffic such a radio station would presumably generate.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]The problem with a streaming radio station is that OB can't support it. As it is, we could [i]barely[/i] support a podcast. We just don't have enough willing participants right now.

What I'd rather see is an "OB Radio" podcast that comes out once a month, or maybe twice a month. It can have segments that discuss what's been happening in the month, we can have RPG discussions, member interviews and more.

Doing a monthly podcast is easier because it can be developed over a few weeks, rather than having to be done live all at once. So you could have music between segments but each segment could be recorded on different days.

This makes it easier with time differences (for interviews) and it also allows for a more professional podcast to be developed.

Then we can have a page where we host all of them in a list with summaries and dates...and people can download at their leisure.

So that's more what I'm thinking of. But until we have enough people interested in actually running such a podcast, I don't think it will happen. I personally don't have the time to do it and it would be a big commitment.[/font]