OtakuBoards

How Did You Come Up With Your Screenname?

duorocks17

[FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="teal"]Hello All! I must say it has been awhile since I've been around here, but I am currently composing a new work, and I needed a few opinions for it. This is totally voluntary and I promise you will not be sited in the work at all. Also if there is another thread like this already, I am sorry. I tried looking around but didn't find anything so far.

So, the question is, [SIZE="3"]"How did you come up with your screenname?"[/SIZE]

I'll answer first to sort of give you an idea. Obviously, my name is duorocks17. The answer for this question is easy if you know me. What is my favorite anime? Gundam Wing of course! And my favorite character from that show is Duo. So, "duorocks" was an easy name to come up with. The "17" came from the fact that I was 17 years old when I joined this site. Which, was a long time ago haha. So my name comes from my favorite anime character and a number that represented my age. It really didn't take me a long time to come up with it initially, but I did put some thought into it. I have never changed my SN since my first day here. I have always been "duorocks17".

So now it's your turn. Tell me how you came up with that all important screenname! Tell me what the basis for your name was, why did you choose it, and if it took you awhile to think it up. Also, have you ever changed your SN before too? Thank you so much for your help! Have fun![/COLOR][/FONT]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Hopefully I don't get beaten to the punch here, but there was already a thread for this. I know that repeat threads are ok, but I thought I'd bring it up...

[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57622&highlight=screen+names"]http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57622&highlight=screen+names[/URL][/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Hopefully I don't get beaten to the punch here, but there was already a thread for this. I know that repeat threads are ok, but I thought I'd bring it up...

[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57622&highlight=screen+names"]http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57622&highlight=screen+names[/URL][/FONT][/QUOTE]True, there's certainly nothing wrong with them, repeat threads that is. But when it hasn't been to long since the last one, it just tends to mean that people are less likely to respond, or they'll do like I'm about to do here, simply quote what they put the last time:[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Well besides the fact that my real name Darren is usually taken, [[SIZE="1"]and the fact that I rarely sign up for anything anyway[/SIZE]] I thought it would be nice to have something that reflected a bit of what I like and what is the driving force in my life. So since I play the cello and I?m into classical music, I used the last name of one of my all time favorite composers. Simple and to the point.

I have no plans to change it since I doubt my love for classical music is going to change anytime soon. Though I do have to admit that when other members change theirs it does take a bit of getting use to. Because after a while, you tend to think of them as that name, much in the same way you would in real life. Like Takuya who recently changed his to GuyYouMetOnline. I'm still getting use to that after being in the same rp for seven months no less. It just seems weird! Though I'm sure so many months down the road I'll be thinking of them as that name instead of their old one.[/QUOTE]That still holds true after all. The reason for my username hasn't changed since like I said before, I have no intention of changing it to a different one. And my interest in classical music has not changed one bit. I doubt that will ever happen. lol

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]The other night I spent about an hour explaining why I named myself 'dogotal boy' to Konata so I very do not want to type the whole thing again. However, I remembered that I'm currently calling myelf [B]Deus ex Machina[/B] so I'll explain that.

Deus ex Machina is one of my favorite terms evar and the name of many cool things (such as a very awesome song by Omar Rodriguez-Lopez) but I chose it as my username because of a character in the manga Mirai Nikki. Deus is this bug *** shaman lookin dude who is essentially god and gives the main character his powers. Because of my beliefs that I am at the center of the universe and thereby, in fact, god, I named myself Deus ex machina, because I can do anything.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Deus ex Machina'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Deus ex Machina is one of my favorite terms evar and the name of many cool things (such as a very awesome song by Omar Rodriguez-Lopez) but I chose it as my username because of a character in the manga Mirai Nikki. Deus is this bug *** shaman lookin dude who is essentially god and gives the main character his powers. Because of my beliefs that I am at the center of the universe and thereby, in fact, god, I named myself Deus ex machina, because I can do anything.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Well, I did a little project on a playwright and the name Deus ex Machina comes from Latin meaning "God out of a Machine". So if you already knew that then excuse this message but it doesn't actually that you can do anything just because you're God.

Anyway...My SN comes from a story that I'm working on that is called The Black Order. I have changed my name before from Master of Death to Wings of Death to XxXLolitaGothXxX to what it is now. My first name came from Duel Masters since I was apparently obsessed with it at the time and then switched to the second one since I was called an angel with black wings which meant Wings of Death. I changed it to XxXLolitaGothXxX because that's what I am and I thought it was a cute name. My name now is one that I might keep for a while but I might change it to something cuter.^^

[quote name='The Black Order']Well, I did a little project on a playwright and the name Deus ex Machina comes from Latin meaning "God out of a Machine". So if you already knew that then excuse this message but it doesn't actually that you can do anything just because you're God.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]More specifically, Deus ex Machina describes the part in a fictional work when a otherworldly figure or symbol (usually an angel or God) resolves a problem. DB just picked it cause it sounded cool. Either way, it's original.

My SN is my real name. No simpler than that.[/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]More specifically, Deus ex Machina describes the part in a fictional work when a otherworldly figure or symbol (usually an angel or God) resolves a problem.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]That's what I always knew it as. And it's my favorite plot device, hehe[/COLOR]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]My SN is my real name. No simpler than that.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Arial"]
Mine is too, but only slightly different. My real name is Claire, but all of my friends call me Clurr every now and then. I have no idea who started it or when, but I really like it. :]

The reason I chose it is that I was bored of using a completely made up name online. I first signed up as Ailes de Velour (which was supposed to mean wings of velvet in French, because apparently I had an obsession with velvet and everything French at the time), then again as Amelia (my favorite name for a girl). After a while I had my name changed to Marsh, which makes even less sense than the first two. It had something to do with an inherited character in runescape and the nickname other players called me by when I used it.[/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] Either way, it's original.

[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]It's hardly original, especially considering we've had at least one prominent member with that name before.

As for me? Process of elimination.[/color]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well after playing spin the bottle with a very large bottle of grape vodka-

No, actually I was once Setsuna, which as we all know is the real name of Sailor Pluto, but that was in like 2000 when I was a moron.

And then I was Raiha, but then OB upgraded out of the stone age and into the bronze age. And so I made James change my screen name to Neuvoxraiha before screen name changes were easy and in someone else's hands.

But when I originally asked him to change it I said please in Spanish, so for about ten minutes my name was:

"Neuvoxraihaporfavor."

Needless to say, James came very close to death that day.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]My original name on OB was Shyguy511: Shyguy was in honor of the Super Mario Bros. characters, and then 5/11 was my birthday. Sometime after version 2 ended I removed the numbers from my name, and a few years after that I took the 'guy' out as well. In spite of the edit, I assure you that I'm still very much a guy.

Oddly enough I've been signing my posts with '-Shy' since long before that was my screenname. I originally just did it because I was trying to copy Justin and be cool.

-Shy[/size]

I just changed my name to Panache. It means "Plume" in french. King Henry the 4th of France wore it on his hat when he rode into battle. The word itself sorta sybolizes Bravery and Flamboyance. I try my best to brave when I can and I am a rather Flamboyant guy in real life. Also the word is just damn cool. I wanted indifference but it was already taken already(and has been for some time).

Guest Nightmare
My name is "Nightmare". Yes, Nightmare is a guy from Soul Caliber, but I'm very much a girl. "Nightmare" is also a song sung by Ogata Megumi, who is my favorite character's - Kurama's - seiyuu. I never use my real name online for anything, if I can help it. I guess you could call me paranoid. ^^; I use Nightmare for here, Artemis for another board, and on the first board I ever joined, my name was Ann Green of Green Ranch, a tribute to my favorite (and she still is!) HM character.

But I think "Nightmare" is the coolest name I've had yet. ;)

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Panache'] I wanted indifference but it was already taken already(and has been for some time).[/QUOTE]And it's going to continue being taken for a very long time. lol I was a bit surprised when I joined to find that it was actually available. Anyway...

If you really want to know how I came up with my user name... Then head over and check out my post in the last thread on this subject: [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=784754&postcount=9"][B]Post[/B][/URL] I still have no intention of changing it anytime soon. [/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]And it's going to continue being taken for a very long time. lol I was a bit surprised when I joined to find that it was actually available. Anyway...

If you really want to know how I came up with my user name... Then head over and check out my post in the last thread on this subject: [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=784754&postcount=9"][B]Post[/B][/URL] I still have no intention of changing it anytime soon. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Nor should you. It's a great name. The only reason I wanted it was because I am indifferent to most things I discuss on the Internet. Because you know...it doesn't usually make an actual difference. But I am taking a liking to my name and I don't think I am ever gonna change it again.

As for me, I got my screenname (Solayo) from a character from a comic I'm working on (which I'm gonna be putting up in the fan manga section of MyO soon...)

My MyO screenname (Lundeth) is also from a character in that same comic...

If you're still wondering...:

Solayo - from sol (sun) and bios (life)

Lundeth - from luna (moon) and death (death, duh!!!)

=^_^=

Well my screen name is my own idea because I am a worshiper of the anime and manga I met one of my best friends that way I was humming the end credit song(ride on shooting star)and I was saying what I thought wich is Fooly Cooly rules wich I think is true.:animeswea I can make sense of the show itself because Me and my friends would sit at lunch and explain how the episodes fit toghether it became a system.Preety cool.Huh? [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][SIZE="1"][INDENT][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I removed the quote FLCLrules, it's not necessary to quote someone unless your responding to a specific part of their post, especially when the quote is more than three times your own post. ~SunfallE[/COLOR][/INDENT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]The creation of my screen name starts way before 2001 when I joined here. It all started when I was roughly 13-14 years old. My older sister had an email account at Yahoo and I begged her to help me make an email account to. I wanted one because I wanted to be just like her and to be able to enjoy Cartoonnetwork.com to the fullest because I had an 'email'.

Anyways, in 2001 I wandered here and used that same screen name(Japan_86) here. I used that screen name [I]everywhere[/I]. I basically created that on Yahoo because I liked Pokemon and DBZ and it had my birth year attached. - Sister's idea was the '_86' part.

After forgetting about this place and coming back in 2003, that name kind of 'stuck'. I tried to change it twice but I was still called Japan. So this name is here to stay forever.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="DarkRed"]'Jing' came from this manga by Yuichi Kumakura.the character was a bandit and he was one way or another very similar to me especially the hair and the fact that i did steal when i was young settles the matter...:catgirl:

even though he was a boy,i dont think its wrong to use his name cuz a lot of girls i knew had Jing in their names.

as for the num. 19 it came from my birthdate 9th feb (9/2/1992) so the only number out of place is 19.talk about nothing else to do.......:animesigh[/COLOR][/FONT]

Well, first off, the idea that I play World of Warcraft is needed in order to understand my..."story".
This story has nothing to do with a panda, in fact it was a snowman that began my name. I decided to make my username less festive and more cuddly.

Sometimes I sit in the middle of one of the captial cities [in a snowman suit] and...well...just yell at people. I've been deemed the new tourist attraction, although some like to call me "the irate snowman" [or in this case, Panda].

so.."what's with the irate snowman[panda!]?" you might ask?
My answer?....I have no clue.