OtakuBoards

Most controversial Anime

Godot

Hi,
Im new to this site but I would like to get everyones opinions on what anime they think was the most provoking and controversial. So far the anime I think is on the top of the list is Elfen Lied. The way they did things was very convaluded, I understood what theme they were trying to make a little but still...

The question is, how do you define controversial? If it's by content (as in Elfen Lied's graphic violence), one could name a pretty long list of hentai that might be controversial in the sense that they have the potential to offend a lot of people. In reality, though, they tend not to offend anyone, because people who aren't interested in seeing particular things know to stay away from them.

If controversy = infighting among fans, or between fans and the creator(s), or perhaps the presence of the kind of anti-Show X sentiment that stems as much from mob mentality as pro-Show X sentiment, then I guess Evangelion would be pretty high up there. At least in the English-speaking anime fandom.

~Dagger~

[color=#4B0082]Shigofumi seemed pretty controversial while it was airing in Japan last season. A few of the episodes weren't aired on some stations, "due to recent events," from what I read. I guess some of the content ended up being a little too close to reality for comfort.[/color]

Like Dagger said, it depends on what you mean by controversy. For example, Naruto is stirring up a lot of commotion in the States. Why? It's probably a combination of concerned parents who think their children are watching some kind of horrific bloodbath (Japanese kids see it all the time,) other anime fans who wonder why Naruto fans think it's such a big deal despite the fact that it's really nothing new (no offense intended,) and a few cases of bad ideas on the behalf of fans, such as the Cody Hackins incident (look it up yourself.)

Does it deserve this controversy? Not at all. It's really nothing special in terms of violence or sex by Japan's standards. It's just that it's become extremely popular (more so than I would like, personally,) in the United States and people are taking notice. It's just like Dragon Ball back in the day when kids ran around shooting imaginary wrist lasers at each other and jumping off the roof to fly a la Harry Potter. Naruto's a special case because it's got a rabid fanbase and it's slightly less edited than some other mainstream anime.

There is no such thing as controversial anime. It is like asking "what is the hottest ice cream you ever ate?" It just is too tame to be considered controversial, just like how ice cream is too cold to be considered hot.

And if it melts, it's not ice cream anymore. I'm so happy the warm weather is here!

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Dagger']If controversy = infighting among fans, or between fans and the creator(s), or perhaps the presence of the kind of anti-Show X sentiment that stems as much from mob mentality as pro-Show X sentiment, then I guess Evangelion would be pretty high up there. At least in the English-speaking anime fandom.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]I would agree, if only because when I first heard about Evangelion and then followed up by actually watching it... The amount of backlash I got from English speaking fans for not liking it was rather startling. It was like I committed a crime by not liking the show. lol[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
Definitely Evangelion. What with all the God vs. Mankind elements. I mean the freaking main bad guy is GOD. Only the Japanese could get away with something like that. And has anyone ever seen that hentai anime (though I think it was meant to be a hentai comedy) with the giant monster penis that killed women? I forgot it's title. If someone could let me know that'd be cool. And just fyi I'm not into hentai. One of my friends downloaded it for giggles.

Ah. Just found it. Legend of the Overfiend.

[quote name='trentlondon']Definitely Evangelion. What with all the God vs. Mankind elements. I mean the freaking main bad guy is GOD. Only the Japanese could get away with something like that. And has anyone ever seen that hentai anime (though I think it was meant to be a hentai comedy) with the giant monster penis that killed women? I forgot it's title. If someone could let me know that'd be cool. And just fyi I'm not into hentai. One of my friends downloaded it for giggles.

Ah. Just found it. Legend of the Overfiend.[/QUOTE]

I didn't think God was the bad guy in that...did I miss something?

The reason the show can be seen as controversial is that it raises the question, what is reality? Is there an objective truth? That in itself challenges the idea of God, because He [I]is[/I] truth. However, even though I am a Christian, I liked the show, because it demonstrated the importance of relationships in people's lives. (And it was pretty.)

Uh, sorry trentlondon, but you were [I]way[/I] off of the mark in regards of God being the antagonist in Evangelion. Plain and simply, all of the Christian and Judaism terms and imagery was used because the Japanese thought it would be cool. You have to take into consideration the fact that only 1% of Japan is Christian - to the other 99%, those terms are interesting, unique, and alien.

So, Evangelion is not anti-God or anti-Christian. It is just what it is - a very complex, confusing, and very debatable piece of story telling. Heck, Evangelion is one of the best things to happen to Christianity, what with it actually getting people to read the Bible to back up their theories.

[color=royalblue][size=1]

As for politically/socially controversial, I'd have to go with [b]Evangelion[/b] because of the several dark and daring themes it had, including psychology, philosophy, religion, suicide, teen sexuality, and many others. Good stuff, but crazy.

Then in story telling terms and also social terms, I'd say [b]Paranoia Agent[/b] was pretty out there. Particularly with the split personality hooker girl and the security guard guy who turned into a crazy robber and what not.

There are a few more, but those are up.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Matt']Uh, sorry trentlondon, but you were [I]way[/I] off of the mark in regards of God being the antagonist in Evangelion. Plain and simply, all of the Christian and Judaism terms and imagery was used because the Japanese thought it would be cool. You have to take into consideration the fact that only 1% of Japan is Christian - to the other 99%, those terms are interesting, unique, and alien.

So, Evangelion is not anti-God or anti-Christian. It is just what it is - a very complex, confusing, and very debatable piece of story telling. Heck, Evangelion is one of the best things to happen to Christianity, what with it actually getting people to read the Bible to back up their theories.[/QUOTE]

hit it right on the head there for the most part, i'm finding that a lot of anime and manga like to use christian terms, settings, and ideas for their plot and character designs. Im not sure if the people who make these animes/manga's are christians but look at Hellsing, trinity blood, trigun, samurai champloo, the list goes on. All these manga and anime's are chock full of christian allusions (and in the case of samurai champloo christian history) and are generally popular, now can anyone tell me how many of the people who make these animes/mangas are christian?

[quote name='Dagger']If controversy = infighting among fans, or between fans and the creator(s), or perhaps the presence of the kind of anti-Show X sentiment that stems as much from mob mentality as pro-Show X sentiment, then I guess Evangelion would be pretty high up there. At least in the English-speaking anime fandom.[/QUOTE]I'll definitely agree with that. One of my friends is a die hard fan of this show and has been insisting that I watch it, so I finally did. Sure it could be considered great, but I found it extremely irritating and elements of it did not appeal to me at all. But to say that to my friend who loaned me the dvd's in the first place? Good grief!

It was absolutely ridiculous how he expected me to recognize how great he thought the show was. XP It was such a headache, the stupid argument that him and his other fanatical fans of the series attempted to start, that I'll never watch anything he recommends ever again.

All they did was make me dislike the show even more with their pointless ranting and glorifying of it.

• 3 weeks later...
Well for me I got to say it was sailor moon. The way they had incorporated jupiter as a tom boy who ends up having feelings for uranus was a surprise to alot of us over in USA. And not to mention the last season with the trio who are disguised as a boyband but are actually sailor stars! And to top it off the main girl falls for uasgi.. Weird* . It might not seem too awkward now but back then most of us were around what? like 10 or 12 years old, we were a little shocked.

• 2 weeks later...
Controversial, huh? I wanna say Death Note, but I can't really give a reason besides the Death Note incidents involving kids, bullied teens, and dismembered corpses.

All I can think of now is Crayon Shin-Chan. You have a child who is very disobedient to his parents and has the tendency to dance around while showing his private parts. And to think this is a children's show, with children watching it and, most likely, imitate the show's protagonist, thinking it's okay to do it. Apparently, this show seems to have gotten the nerves of many in the Philippines, since I remember one commercial said that the show even got criticized by the Church. (Not really 100% sure about it, though. My memory ain't really that sharp.)

If were going for controversial than I'm going to have to follow the flow in naming Evangelion. Not so much because of the religious references, which as earlier mentioned, was only really done for the simple fact that it was so alien to the regular japanese mind, but because it was, if interpreted in the right way, a metaphor for a child growing up.

To really kinda of see this you have to watch the show closely and more then once. This does not comment on the movie, which is one of the most disturbing pieces of cinema I've ever bore witness too. The story also kinda reflects the writer/ creator, Hideaki Anno alot in the later part of the series as he kinda falls into depression.

Anyway, to those who pay attention, you quickly notice it's not a religious story, it's a growing story told through metaphor. What's more, it actually makes the story kinda funny to watch once you realize once the characters are really talking about alot of the time.

I believe that Pokemon was the most know contoversial anime. Honestly, it is the peoples choice what they want to watch, so nothing should ever really be controversial. but pokemon caused a big stir, for being a kids show and all.

[QUOTE]Anyway, to those who pay attention, you quickly notice it's not a religious story, it's a growing story told through metaphor.[/QUOTE] I always thought it was a story about growing up and didn't pick up on the religious stuff till afterwards.

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]How about you tell us why you think its one of the most controversial anime? [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

How it is about the HIP how they are trying to make the entire human race into one being a god and it is one of the few anime that I have seen that constantly talks and implements philosophy into the plot. Also, it shows that you can't live your life alone. You will eventually have to depend on others to truly be happy.

[FONT="Courier New"][COLOR="Blue"]For me, the most controversial anime I have seen as an anime otaku is...

Tenjou Tenge - because of the almost X-rated scenes and extreme violence, some Filipinos even rumoured that this anime had reached one network giant, who had the right to air it to minor viewers - that was way back years ago, and told the later to stop airing this one.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][COLOR="DimGray"]I've got to agree with the mask about Death Note being the most controversial. Come on, it's a about somebody trying to make himself god of his own world by passing judgement on the rest of mankind and killing those who get in his way. It's scary, the number of fights I've seen online about whether this guy is doing the right thing and how many people literally seem to worship a fictional characterfor what he tried to do. If you don't take it too seriously, though, it's a fantastic show.:animesmil [/COLOR][/B][/FONT]