OtakuBoards

The Von Braun Odyssey: Cast & Crew

James

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Are cigarettes allowed to be smoked anywhere on the ship? Because my character is Dutch (he's actually based on my Opa, same name and everything, who I never got the chance to meet) and I'd like him to be able to-- actually I'll leave that as a surprise. My question stands, though. [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE][size=1]So you're writing a story about your late Opa, and his real name is 'Posthumous'? Wow. Irony. Awesome.

-Shy[/size]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]So you're writing a story about your late Opa, and his real name is 'Posthumous'? Wow. Irony. Awesome.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Well not so much writing a story about him. More just using him as a basis and inspiration for the character I've created. But yeah, his real name was Cornelius Posthumous. [/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]Post - Humus. Haaah~[/SIZE][/color]

[quote name='8bit'][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=#696969]Are cigarettes allowed to be smoked anywhere on the ship? Because my character is Dutch (he's actually based on my Opa, same name and everything, who I never got the chance to meet) and I'd like him to be able to-- actually I'll leave that as a surprise. My question stands, though. [/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

Well, you can't smoke in a spaceship because any unmanaged flame will cause an explosion due to life support pumping oxygen. Its why they don't smoke on the shuttles and space stations today. Of course that*presents another problem*as*far*as gunfire and such goes. Any explosion will be HUGE no matter*how small*of a spark ignites it.

So how about it James? Freakin lasers?

[COLOR="Indigo"]You're being too technical Malkav. ^_~ For starters, due to the disaster, technology did not develop in the same manner. So yes smoking will be allowed. It's going to be based on passenger preference really.

Plus the Von Braun simulates Earth's atmosphere, even to the point of mimicking real weather. In the end, we're not going be that literal on the technical side of things for the rpg. So even gunfire is possible though it's likely that at this point they have developed lasers. [/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]The Von Braun is slightly fantastical I suppose. There are areas of the ship that are "outdoor", meaning that they are rooms/areas which simulate Earth environments, as Indi said.

So I'm not too worried about the technicalities of smoking. Smoking fits this RPG largely because of the 50's theme, anyway. Plus I wouldn't want to restrict characters in that way.

Anyhoo, you can expect the final cast to be announced tomorrow. I will put a cast file up in the Dossier as well and we will kick this thing off very shortly![/font]

[quote name='Indi'][COLOR=#4b0082]it's likely that at this point they have developed lasers. [/COLOR][/quote]

This is all I wanted.

[font=franklin gothic medium]Okay, so, the Cast has been announced in the Auditions thread and I've put the final cast list up in the Dossier.

The RPG itself will be commencing shortly in the Theater. Just after it begins I'm going to put up Dossier items for Locations and Landmarks, as well.

Also just as a footnote, I've included character's general titles/roles below their names and avatars. We've had to edit a couple of avatars to fit within our requirements.

In addition to that, I've changed a couple of staff titles ever so slightly, just so that we have consistency across the ship.

For those of you who have talked about ship locations (like Caesar's Palace or any of the lounges), please feel free to write up Dossier entries on these places. You can describe how they look, what services they offer, etc.

One other thing too - the currency in the RPG will just be Republic Dollars, or R$.[/font]

[SIZE=1]Excellent cast list. I look forward to seeing what trouble we can come up with together.

Just to clarify, the auditions cast list mentions my character 'Arthur Clarke' as being the founder of Terra Prime. He is not the founder, his father is. Also, Arthur is not a public figure like his father was. People might be able to discern the connection to Terra Prime if they knew his real name, but that is not the case.

:whoops:

-Shy[/size]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Okay, I'll edit that now. I will keep the Terra Prime link in there though, just for the purpose of other players - these jobs are just to help players when they're writing. I'll just edit the text to take out the founder part.

:catgirl:

Okay, the RPG is live and the first landmark is up. This will hopefully give everyone a way to introduce their characters and explain the circumstances surrounding their entry to the ship. [/font]

Ok so we're not using the avatars?

[COLOR="Indigo"]We are, and please use the ones in the the first post since we fixed all of them to match in size and border wise. So if you could switch out yours Arichan16 for the one in the first post of this thread, we'd appreciate it. Thanks.[/COLOR]

I have a question about the holograms: are they A.I. or actual people communicating through a holographic image?

Because if they're artificial, they'd pretty much make my character and her staff needless. But if there's an actual person talking through the image (like in Star Wars, heh), then they fit well.

I wasn't sure how many hostesses and guides the Von Braun needed, so I put in 24 (that can easily be changed, though). How many passengers are there on board, actually? I tried to search the background texts, but I couldn't find a mention about it anywhere. Maybe I'm just blind that way, heh...

Oh, and if anybody wants interaction upon entering the ship, my character (or any one of her underlings) can be used to guide yours where needed.

[quote name='Sandy']Oh, and if anybody wants interaction upon entering the ship, my character (or any one of her underlings) can be used to guide yours where needed.[/QUOTE][size=1]I used Hilda, Sandy. I hope you don't mind.

Also, I established that the hologram was actually A.I., but it is extremely limited in its' responses. So while you can ask V.I.C.I. where the pool is (or whatever) a real hostess is going to be infinitely more helpful in most situations.

Given Hilda's conflct about feeling outdated/old, it seems perfect that her rival is a flashy new computer program that [i]can't[/i] age.

-Shy[/size]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I think I mentioned somewhere in this thread that there would be about 1,500 people or so on the Von Braun (including staff and passengers).

The break down is probably around 200 staff to 1,300 passengers or so. But that isn't set in stone, so please feel free to mention your own figures there.

Also, yeah, I'm happy with the holograms being A.I. Having a person talk through them would probably be too time-intensive for staff, given how many passengers there are.

But yes, you could expect that a) their responses are somewhat limited and b) there's still always going to be a need for human interaction and old-fashioned hospitality. ~_^

So they won't interfere with staff at all in that sense

(And the rivalry between an aging staff member and a new computer system [i]does[/i] seem appropriate - I'm sure we can play on that quite a bit as time goes by).

[b]Edit:[/b] Also, I have to say, even so far you guys are doing a wonderful job. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the posts thus far. Brilliant stuff.

Oh, and I want to mention one more thing before the question comes up.

Obviously in space it's always dark, so there's no day/night cycle. On the ship, however, day/night cycles still occur in real time. All of the public spaces are filled with natural light (i.e. simulated sunlight). As "night" falls, the light dims and the system simulates moonlight in some large public spaces - in those cases, artificial lights come on to simulate artificial light at night (if that makes sense).

So basically, everything outside your character's quarters would almost be "outside" in terms of lighting.

If you were in the outdoor park areas for example, you'd get moonlight.. but torches might light up along the pathways to allow people to get around.

Please feel free to experiment with that too. Remember how physically large this ship is - it's like a city. So there will be plenty of opportunities to create your own spaces and concepts.[/font]

[SIZE=1]I've also used Hilda as well as one of her underlings. You were right, being the senior hostess makes you a lot of acquaintances quickly.

Anyway, my last post was fairly wordy, and didn't get us much further than before, but I feel like you may have a better idea of the relationship between Alex and Jamie now.

Speaking of Jamie, do I need to use an avatar to represent him? He's an NPC, but I figure it may help if he's got an appearance to have at the top of posts.

Also, in the whole retro-future concept, would anything like a laptop computer be widely available? I'm just trying to think of an easy way for Alex to get his article started, but still wanted to fit in with the whole aesthetic.
[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Regarding Jamie (who I think Darren was going to sign up as?) ... I'm still waiting for the sign up from Darren.

I told him that even though sign ups are closed, he [i]can[/i] submit his sign up and join in by the skin of his teeth.

He's sent me the PM, but I don't yet know whether he's edited his post in Auditions. Once he's done that, his avatar and details will go into the Cast.

So, for now, please feel free to use the avatar - but make sure it has the black border on it. [/font]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I'll be leaving this landmark up for another couple of days, but I've got the next couple of landmarks planned.

One of them will be a tiered landmark. You will see what I mean when it comes around. Hopefully I can put up a Landmarks Dossier before that to fully explain it.

Basically, though, it'll be like a Choose Your Own Adventure type of thing. Hopefully it works out and I don't royally mess it up, haha.[/font] :catgirl:

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]James has given me the green light to start up the party in a few.

So it should be pretty pretty with dancing sparkly lights and good times. And probably music.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Since the party will go all night, it won't matter if some people arrive later than others - so yeah, I'm happy for things to get kicked off now.

And of course, I'm sure some will leave earlier than others too.[/font]

Funny that the ship left Earth's atmosphere already, but nobody seems to take any notice of it. XD

I was thinking that Hilda and her girls could hold safety instruction sessions as the ship departs, something akin to the ones on airplanes. So anybody not allowed to participate to the party can come there, for example.

[font=franklin gothic medium]That'd be cool, Sandy. I'm sure the passengers would receive some sort of safety briefing one way or another.

I'd say that those attending the party might see some kind of briefing on the TV screens when they return to their rooms. [/font]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Goodness... o_O You all post like little mad things. Every time I sign off, less than a day later there's a lot of new posts. It makes keeping up more challenging. Well compared to the other rpg I'm in which is the only one I've ever been in. O_o

This is going to be interesting, I just hope the pace doesn't get away from me. Good thing it's summer and I'm only taking two classes. Anyway... I too find it interesting that they are in space and no one even noticed that the ship took off. :o[/FONT]