OtakuBoards

The Von Braun Odyssey: Cast & Crew

James

[font=franklin gothic medium]Okay guys, let's see if I can explain where this is going.

First of all, I've added the Landmark Index to the first page of this thread. As you can see, the third landmark contains two parts that operate simultaneously.

03a involves a group of passengers being stranded on the Outpost. The shuttle has returned to the Von Braun and the Von Braun itself is now speeding away from the asteroid.

03b involves a system error on board the Von Braun, whereby the starmap is actually drawing alternative paths that do not include a return trajectory to Earth (in other words, the ship is trying to take itself somewhere else).

[i]However[/i], at this point, the engineers have the vessel under manual control. They figure that if they can fix the problem they can just manually steer the craft back to Earth if necessary.

Now, here comes the tough part.

Some passengers will have remained behind on the Outpost, while the others will have made it back to the Von Braun.

My group (Natalia, Viktor, Katelyn and Zahir) are stuck on the station. Also, Darren's group (Ilona, Devin, Jamie and Alex) are stuck there (presumably the two groups will meet at some point).

I would ideally like Arthur to remain on the outpost because I think he will have some personal revelations that can start to come out soon. Shy and I had talked about that, but it's ultimately up to Shy as to whether or not he stays.

This would mean that Arichan's character can either stay or leave for the Von Braun (up to you, Arichan - you may have story elements that you want to play out further on the ship itself).

Having said all of this, I'm very much open to mixing things up - these are just suggestions. Each of you can choose which Landmark to follow.

[b]Those who follow 3a will be trying to escape from the Outpost (and will perhaps learn a little more about the conspiracy).

And those who follow 3b (primarily ship staff) will be involved with uncovering the A.I. problem and trying to fix that.[/b]

Then these two Landmarks will dovetail back into Landmark 04, which will mark the effective halfway point of this RPG.

If you guys have any questions, let us know! :catgirl:[/font]

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font=franklin gothic medium]That's cool. We just have to remember that there will be approximately 10 characters staying back on the outpost at this stage...which is by far the majority of active players.

That in itself is fine, it's just that we'll have to be careful writing for that many. Maybe we can find a creative way to have them all meet and then split up into two groups.

While I'm here I might as well do a bit of brainstorming on that.

I think I mentioned that there were two escape pods left. So that could fit two groups of five, for instance.

But they'd have to activate the station's power for those pods to be usable.

Perhaps everyone can meet up and then split into two groups in an effort to solve the problem more quickly (maybe they can keep contact via walkie-talkie or something... if we have any more than one staff member in the group, that should be achievable).

We just have to bear in mind that this will have to be quite fluid and we'll have to play each other's characters as best we can. I don't want to get too bogged down in over-planning this part. :catgirl:[/font]

[SIZE=1]My apologies for not posting - A level exams and recurring internet problems have proved something of a hindrance to my efforts. It looks like everything is sorted with my internet connection now, and I'm all finished with my exams, so I'll be able to get a post up within the next day or two. I just need to do some reading and catch up on what's been going on.[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]No worries, DeLarge. It happens. Thanks for letting us know. :catgirl:

Anyway, you guys can continue this at any time. I figured a post from me might help to lead things on, but I think I will wait until someone else posts before I jump in again.[/font]

So in my next post (and yes, I will be back to posting regularly unless some catastrophe strikes) I'll be herding all of the little piggies back into the pen known as the VB. I still haven't made contact with many of your characters outside of Indi's and her NPC so if anyone particularly wants to interact let me know.

[font=franklin gothic medium]Cool, thanks Malkav. That sounds good. I think it will be interesting to kick off the System Error landmark on the Von Braun.

I shall be posting by the weekend hopefully. I'm back at work this week (which won't stop me, but may make me a bit slower).[/font]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I'm sorry I haven't posted yet. I was going to, but I've got an ear and sinus infection and trying to think with a pounding headache just isn't working. Plus the antibiotics I started yesterday haven't really had a chance to make me feel any better.

So just thought I'd let you all know... I mean [COLOR="Indigo"]Indi[/COLOR] already knows but the rest of the players don't so thus my post. Though once I get better it's the fourth of July this Friday. However, if I feel better I should be able to get a post in this weekend. [/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"]And posted! :catgirl: It only took me forever on account of how insane the weekend was. I wasn't expecting to spend most of the fourth and fifth keeping [COLOR="Indigo"]Indi[/COLOR] company in the hospital.^^ Anyway, time to get back to the ship! Or something like that. XD[/FONT]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Great post, Sabrina. You were definitely thinking along the same lines as me with certain things, haha.

I will have a post up before the end of the week. I think there will be at least one other big revelation before they leave the outpost.

I'd like to see some more stuff happening on the ship itself too, so maybe I will incorporate the Captain into my posts (I was planning to write for him anyway, but not quite so early).

Edit: Ugh, sorry about that crappy post guys. I really need to include one more thing before this landmark is over, but I have to find the right way to present it. Haha

Edit 2: Phew! Another post. A big one. Haha

I've divided this post into three parts, to make it a bit easier to follow. This is our first big revelation - aliens ahoy!

Also at the end I've referred to them hearing voices...these are the voices of the other characters who are still on the Outpost. Perhaps they can all meet up in the cargo dock and leave together. The first group may have to tell the second group about what they saw, as I don't think they'll have time to see it for themselves.

I have to edit this tomorrow just in case there are any errors, so please feel free to ask if anything needs clarification![/font]

[SIZE=1]I've finally posted, having the two groups still aboard the outpost meet up. Hope this is ok with everyone involved - I didn't go into too much detail about their reunion, just thought I'd leave it a little open-ended.

I can't apologise enough for not posting - now I'm back in the swing of it I should be able to post a little more regularly.
[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Oh goodie, now I can post! It's only been...a month?

Anyway I'll be sure to make it appropriately awkward, since of course Ilona and the others have literally no idea what you were all talking about before they stumbled in.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]I was a little surprised when my character 'came out' to yours James. Arthur and Zahir seem to have some sort of connection, yes, but the fact that he is a militant anti-space terrorist would still be a closely guarded secret.

Anyway, I'll just run with it but I felt that the revelation was a little sudden.

-Shy[/size]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]I was a little surprised when my character 'came out' to yours James. Arthur and Zahir seem to have some sort of connection, yes, but the fact that he is a militant anti-space terrorist would still be a closely guarded secret.

Anyway, I'll just run with it but I felt that the revelation was a little sudden.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I can change it if you want, but Zahir is fairly sympathetic to the group's ideology (although perhaps not the violence).

Also, given Zahir's knowledge of some of these underground conspiracy theories and movements...it was just too obvious for him to deny, I felt.

But yeah, I am happy to change that part if you like. I just felt it would be too incredulous for Zahir not to suspect a Terra Prime link.

So let me know what you'd like to do. :catgirl:

Also...Darren, you can take a picture of the alien for sure. But remember that for now they won't be wanting to make it too public on board the ship. That may cause a [i]lot[/i] of trouble. :catgirl:[/font]

[quote name='James']I just felt it would be too incredulous for Zahir not to suspect a Terra Prime link.[/QUOTE][size=1][strike]I don't see how. The two have had pretty harmless interactions so far, and although Arthur is obviously knowledgable about the Great Disaster, I don't think that neccessarily equates with him being a space terrorist. Maybe it does. Shrug.

At this point, even when confronted about the subject, I doubt Arthur would ever confess to being a member of Terra Prime. Plus that sort of knowledge puts Zahir in an incredibly awkward position: How can he justify [i]not[/i] turning a virtual stranger into the authorities, when doing otherwise endangers the lives of everyone on board?[/strike]

-Shy

[b]Update:[/b] It's been taken out. The world can start spinning again.[/size]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][quote name='Shy'][size=1][b]Update:[/b] It's been taken out. [B]The world can start spinning again.[/B][/size][/QUOTE]And I present tonights episode of [B]As The Von Braun Turns[/B]! We hope you enjoyed the show!

[I]*shot many times* [/I] :D

Anyway, this is fun! Freaky aliens have been spotted! Time for things to get interesting! [/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I have added a new Dossier to the front page here. It's called [b]The Shirota Strain[/b]. This may provide a hint as to some things that are happening and it will give your characters a bit more to talk about (since now you'll know a bit more about this virus).

I have kept the symptoms of 167A/B out of the picture because I'm happy for you guys to invent them. Plus I figure they might be different between victims anyway.

I have run out of appropriate images to use for the tables so I'm going to kind of divide them into types.

Blue will probably be used for general informational items related to the story. Yellow will relate to characters and character profiles (as well as location descriptions possibly).

And green will remain related to Landmarks. Hopefully all of that makes sense.

Thanks for your great posts too, guys. Everything's looking great and I'm loving the characters!

Also, I can't stress this enough...please feel free to go where you want with your characters and their stories. Don't worry about stepping on any toes. If anything goes way too far (and I'm sure it won't), we'll just let you know.

Otherwise we'll just work it into the story. You guys are writing this story too, so please don't be afraid to inject your own personalities into it![/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Is now the time for me to drag Darren into posting or perhaps DeLarge? I mean there's nothing really going on and my character doesn't really know what else there is to do but keep looking for coffee. Or maybe Shy's turn?

*counts on fingers*

It's only been a few weeks right?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I actually have finals tomorrow, so once that was done I was planning on posting this weekend. I've just been kind of busy with that the past couple of weeks. Doing those final assignments and getting ready for the tests. ^^[/FONT]

[quote]Is now the time for me to drag Darren into posting or perhaps DeLarge? I mean there's nothing really going on and my character doesn't really know what else there is to do but keep looking for coffee. Or maybe Shy's turn?[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Anyone can post. At this stage the next post could include their travel back to the Von Braun. They will have to quietly re-dock and sneak in...so someone might have fun writing that.

I will try to post shortly, although I should mention something now. I'm moving this weekend and won't have internet until about August 13th.

So I will be able to write posts at home and then put them online in my break at work, but that's about it. Hopefully it should be doable though.[/font]

Um... Okay?

I guess I can post, I just thought that you would cover that as the next landmark... Because I virtually have no knowledge of how something like that would occur. I just want to refrain from sounding any dumber than I already do... I vote DeLarge does it!