OtakuBoards

The Von Braun Odyssey: Cast & Crew

James

[quote]I didn't think you made the logical fallacies I saw by purpose, but we all make mistakes sometimes, even if you're an administrator. That's why I wanted to point them out. ;D But your explanation sufficed to me, and it's clear now that there were no mistakes done.
[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Look, at the end of the day, I have no problem if I've made a mistake. And if my post was in any way confusing, I sincerely apologise.

The main point I wanted to make was that anything not covered in the intro (or only alluded to) would be explained as we get into the RPG.[/font]

[quote]So the post does say almost nobody remembers what happened in the disaster, that when the survivors died off, it became a legend, not detailed history. And since the government must've played a part in organizing a space flight, I thought that if it knew about the disaster, it wouldn't have gone along with it. Unless the government is filled with greedy bastards who don't care about the well-being of their nation... But I guess the RPG itself will reveal the truth about that.
[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]The key word being "almost". There [i]are[/i] people who remember.

And I said "soon it became more legendary than historical". That doesn't mean the legend replaced history, it's just an issue of public perception.

And the latter part of your paragraph will be explained later, yes. It's a big part of the plot.[/font]

[quote]And it clearly says that "man's return to space" happened with the Von Braun. To me, it feels as if native americans would've skipped from using canoes straight to building the Titanic. XD[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]It means what it says - man's return to space happened with the Von Braun, yes. That doesn't mean they went from nothing to the VB, lol. They obviously would have done tests and various other things beforehand.

The phrase implies that man's meaningful return to space happened with VB - their "official" return to space. Test flights don't count.[/font]

[quote]But I don't need to question the intro anymore, you already said these points would be delved into at the game. I'm satisfied. ;D[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Phew! :catgirl:

In all seriousness, though, this is just English... I mean I don't think it implies anything other than what I've explained. But I could be wrong and if so, these clarifications should help.

I think the key is just to wait and see how the RPG unfolds. All will be explained. [/font]

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT=Arial]Well, silliness runs on both sides, I think, so let me just blither for a minute. =P

First, I think it's self-evident that an RP's creator does not have to fully explain every detail of their universe before starting the game. If that were true, then a good RP would take months, even years to set up, and that's just ridiculous for something as not-serious as these games are. Sure groundwork needs to be laid, but half the fun of RPing is making up the story as you go, so some vagueness is inherent, and nonexistent explanations are also to be expected.

So I would question the wisdom of pointing out perceived storyline flaws publicly, especially while still in the developmental/interest-gaging state. That kind of questioning should probably be done behind the scenes, since this kind of thread is more for simple questions about small stuff, and general shows of support.

Still, [COLOR="DarkRed"]James[/COLOR], there is something to be said for attention to detail, and rationalizing. The loss of historical information, for example, is [I]really[/I] a bit convenient, but it can be easily explained up front, and should probably [I]be[/I] partially explained. The information that young children (especially those below the age of [number]) were far more susceptible to the effects of the arbitrary Disaster than adults were is crucial to my mind; since nothing was initially stated, as far as I recall, I just assumed that the cataclysm affected the demographics equally, and so I also was curious how you were going to explain the loss of information. That the records were almost universally destroyed was a given, I thought, so the only reservation I had was concerning the younger survivors on whom the repopulation burden fell.

And to the other side, naturally Mankind's Return To Space was not accomplished overnight, with one random gigantic space hotel. (I still wonder about the presence of the Vermiscious Knids. :p) Rather, the sentiment is/was meant to serve as a landmark, a statement of achievement and victory, and the Von Braun is/was the tangible evidence of that feat.

I mean, take Independence Day (US). That day doesn't really mark the exact date the United States separated from the Crown, it was a process that took years. But that milestone allowed the people who came after to have a focus for their appreciation. Same here; the Return to Space is more a historical milestone than an actual return.

I've tildered enough.

Oh, and the "administrator" jibe, though true, was in bad taste. Easy on the pickin', guys. =P[/FONT]

[quote]I mean, take Independence Day (US). That day doesn't really mark the exact date the United States separated from the Crown, it was a process that took years. But that milestone allowed the people who came after to have a focus for their appreciation. Same here; the Return to Space is more a historical milestone than an actual return.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yes, that's true. And I believe it goes without saying (i.e. it is probably self-evident based on the intro).

In terms of the other stuff...I believe I've answered all of those questions. An introduction is not designed to explain every detail - not because the details are absent, but because doing so would spoil the story.

The specifics surrounding the Disaster and how it affected the population are TBA as far as I'm concerned. Even players won't know much about it until later in the RPG.

Let me just point out that when I express interest in other people's RPGs, I do not expect every detail to be dished up to me immediately. These things have to happen naturally.

So in terms of what we've already discussed, my advice would be to just wait and see.

For everyone else, if you have a specifically anal question, please feel free to send me a PM for clarification. If you have a major question that you think will really impact whether or not you join (or if you think others will need to know), then feel free to ask it here.[/font]

[quote]If that were true, then a good RP would take months, even years to set up, and that's just ridiculous for something as not-serious as these games are. Sure groundwork needs to be laid, but half the fun of RPing is making up the story as you go, so some vagueness is inherent, and nonexistent explanations are also to be expected.
[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yeah, I mean, I do think this goes without saying - it should be obvious, especially for anyone who has participated in many RPGs on OB.

Having said that, as I pointed out earlier, I have consistently said that the introduction is just that: it's basically a simple outline/synopsis.

As I mentioned at the beginning, we will eventually have a series of Dossiers with information related to specific areas (i.e. People, Locations, The Von Braun, etc). And they will contain far more detailed information, which will fill in a ton of gaps.

Although I plan things out and put together the general canvas for players, I tend to expect the players themselves to have fun with the outline and to build on it in their own way.

So I don't want to sit there and write a story that everyone else has to rigidly fit into. Rather, I [i]always[/i] want players to make the story their own to some extent. I allow plenty of flexibility so that everyone has some ownership.

That's how my RPGs tend to go. I think that anyone who has RP'd with me in the past probably has a good idea what to expect from me.[/font]

[quote]And to the other side, naturally Mankind's Return To Space was not accomplished overnight, with one random gigantic space hotel. (I still wonder about the presence of the Vermiscious Knids. ) Rather, the sentiment is/was meant to serve as a landmark, a statement of achievement and victory, and the Von Braun is/was the tangible evidence of that feat.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yep, bingo.

So, no, silliness doesn't necessarily occur on both sides. It's just a matter of carefully reading the introduction and interpreting it logically. It is written in an obviously general manner, to allow for further details to appear in future.

I'm more than happy to explain what can be explained right now (and to leave spoilers for later). I just think we should try to keep things on track - god knows I don't want another Almagest Backstage thread on my hands. [/font]

For the record, I never asked for any details or spoilers about the story, I just saw what I thought were logical fallacies [I]inside[/I] the introduction and pointed them out. I for one would surely want to know if something I posted would contain them. Anyway, James explained them, and I was satisfied.

The "administrator"-jibe was made in good humor at least from my part. Hence the smiley you loathe so much, Allamorph. ;D To me James is another human being, not a demigod who cannot be questioned, but that doesn't mean I don't respect or appreciate him, cause I do.

What goes for what's supposed to be asked in a Backstage-thread and what is not, you can't really make such divisions, Allamorph. Our guidelines state that everything related to the RPGs can be discussed here, although the game creator can choose to take the thread to a more specific direction. And James, if I have anymore [I]anal[/I] questions, I'll surely PM them to you. ;D

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']- god knows I don't want another Almagest Backstage thread on my hands. [/font][/quote]
[FONT=Arial][I]*laughs*[/I] Agreed. :animesmil
[quote name='Sandy]...if I have anymore [B]anal[/B'] questions....[/quote]
Ohhh, [I]that[/I] was the word I was looking for!! :p I tell you what, sometimes it's easy to get lost when you got a vocabulary the size of Kansas. Silly me.[/FONT]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]My thinking is that on its maiden voyage, there might even be ways that people can win tickets for the Von Braun. So we should see a good cross-section of characters (i.e. not just the rich and famous).[/font][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]That's a good idea. I was also thinking of a possible reason my character is on the Von Braun is because he is either 1) a stowaway that somehow makes it onto the vessel that brings people to Von Braun or 2) an engineer of some sort for the ship.

I know you probably wouldn't mind the 2nd one but what do you think of a stowaway in the hotel? Would it be possible or would the security be super tight?

You two posting this thread was like a teaser for the RP and now we've got even more information as a trailer. I feel like I'm waiting for the launch of a big movie! Come to think of it, around when will this RP launch? I'm a little excited. :p[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]You'll learn that the creator has less to do with the content level than the players themselves. So little information has been given about the story or the tone of the RPG that it's too early to tell how graphic is might be.[/size][/QUOTE]Not to disagree hun, but in all seriousness, the creator [I]is[/I] the one who sets the boundaries as to what they will not tolerate. After all there is a huge gap between mature and say more explicit material. James' comments thus far and speaking with Crystia via AIM have addressed my questions in that respect. So I am satisfied with their responses as to what I can expect should I decide to try for this rpg.

I ask because after all, the Ragnarok had mature material so I do not oppose it but I do like to know what I might see and really my only concern is stuff that would go beyond mature. I've seen that here so I think it's reasonable to find out in advance if that would be the case. If you have any doubts as to what I'm referring to Shy, I'll link you to specific examples via pm.

Anyway, I have no questions since the new information in the first post gives me an idea of what type of story to expect. Yes I have questions, but some of that I believe should wait for when the sign ups go up since clearly this is just a teaser as to what one can expect and nothing more.

[quote]To me James is another human being, not a demigod who cannot be questioned, but that doesn't mean I don't respect or appreciate him, cause I do.
[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I don't know of anyone who sees me as anything other than just another human being, lol. Part of my entire role at OB is to answer questions from members...so I am probably the most accountable person here.

Don't forget that. :catgirl:

Anyway, I'm trying to work out how many Dossier items should go up before this thing starts.

I'm sort of wanting to give people a bit of a break between Almagest and this (if any Almagest writers choose to sign-up anyway). Hopefully we'll see a good mix. [/font]

[quote]That's a good idea. I was also thinking of a possible reason my character is on the Von Braun is because he is either 1) a stowaway that somehow makes it onto the vessel that brings people to Von Braun or 2) an engineer of some sort for the ship.

I know you probably wouldn't mind the 2nd one but what do you think of a stowaway in the hotel? Would it be possible or would the security be super tight?

You two posting this thread was like a teaser for the RP and now we've got even more information as a trailer. I feel like I'm waiting for the launch of a big movie! Come to think of it, around when will this RP launch? I'm a little excited. [/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I like your ideas - both would be totally acceptable. When I put up the avatars I've made there may even be one that suits you. I'm hoping some will get used.

So I think a stowaway is very possible, absolutely. We can work that out.

As for when it'll start... well, I'm sort of waiting for Almagest to finally wrap up (mostly due to my involvement with it - I don't want to commit to two RPGs).

It should launch shortly after that. So not too far off. ^_^;[/font]

[quote name='Aaryanna_Mom']If you have any doubts as to what I'm referring to Shy, I'll link you to specific examples via pm. [/QUOTE][size=1]Believe me, I know.

An RPG's creator can set the tone for the story in their posts, but ultimately it's determined by the other players and [i]their posts.[/i] After all, this is collaborative storytelling. I was merely saying that you'll have a better idea of what to expect based on the sign-ups, and who expresses interest in the project.

Anyway, will players be allowed to play as staff [i]and[/i] hotel guests, or will all of the player characters in the RPG be one or the other?

-Shy[/size]

[font=franklin gothic medium]If you want your character to be both a staff member and a hotel guest, that's totally cool with me.

And yeah, I will set a tone with content...but people will post what they post. If anything highly objectionable comes up I will have something to say about it.

However, if it's only mildly awkward (i.e. something you don't want to read but you ilke the rest of the RPG), feel free to simply skip it.[/font]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='8bit;810772][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]You two posting this thread was like a teaser for the RP and now we've got even more information as a trailer. I feel like I'm waiting for the launch of a big movie! Come to think of it, around when will this RP launch? I'm a little excited. :p[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]Exactly, this is a teaser of what's to come as well as a bit of a trailer. Now as James said, we are going to wait until Almagest is over, however, that is literally in it's final run so that's not too far off. But since both of us are in it, we intend to wait until we put our final posts in before we start this so our attention is not divided.[QUOTE=Shy'][size=1]Anyway, will players be allowed to play as staff [i]and[/i] hotel guests, or will all of the player characters in the RPG be one or the other?

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]Bah, James beat me to it, but yes, players will be able to be both. There will of course be npc's that will close certain roles, but the rest will be fair game. [/COLOR]

I[FONT="Tahoma"]'ll admit that I find the idea of a retro future Earth fascinating. I also find the idea of a space voyage fun too. I mean... who wouldn't? That and I'm curious about it since [COLOR="Indigo"]Indi[/COLOR] is involved. >_>

It is good to get a teaser or rather hint about it though because since I just starting rpging.. something that before joining this place I had never done... So I'll be glad this starts a little later when I have a better idea of just how demanding being a part of one can be.

There would be no point in signing up for another one if a person didn't have the time to devote to more than just one. o_O Anyway, I look forward to seeing more about this. :catgirl:[/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]This sounds really interesting - the retro future idea is a really original one (at least from the RPs I've done on other forums), and could provide for some interesting plot devices. And I'm quite intrigued as to how a hotel ship could end up in the middle of a [B]"War."

[/B]From looking through the posts for the Almagest Legacy RP, which seems to be a big one I've missed out on, I can see that the Landmark system is a good idea when done well, and from the fact that you're the Site Director and have worked with this system before, I have no doubt that you will be able to do it well.

I look forward to the chance to sign up for this one when it begins properly.
[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Thanks much. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for your sign up. :catgirl:

I shall endeavour to have more information up here this weekend. Last weekend our internet virtually died and it was impossible to get things updated properly. Tonight I will hopefully be able to sit down and put more together for this.

I also have to do my final Almagest post - yikes! I shall be quite busy. :catgirl:

Seriously though, thanks to everyone who has expressed interest at this early stage. I'm sure it'll be easier to come up with your characters and such as the details progress.

[b]Edit:[/b] Okay, the first Dossier is online. I've kept some parts of it fairly general so that the players can fill in the details as they go.

I have just tried to provide a bit of background and context for the players. Although we will be putting up more Dossier items soon, this is really the main one I wanted to write prior to the auditions going live.[/font]

[quote name='Malkav']So I just read the Dossier and I was thinking a holodeck, where people can like go skiing, or sky diving or something. Just a fun thought.[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]That sounds awesome.

I've put the basics in there to give everyone a bit more info about the ship, but I really want the writers to put together the details as they go. And the holodeck idea sounds great. :catgirl: [/font]

[size=1]

All these super epic RPGs popping up lately are really making me think I stumbled back to OB at the right time XD This'll be great, since it'll go more into summer and there will be no more of my AP classes forcibly dragging me away from the 'net by the throat, so I'll actually be able to participate like a normal person :animeswea

I think my favorite part is the fact that's it's going to be like one of those old Hanna Barbera cartoons where they showed all those "homes of the future" Anyone know what I'm talking about? I seem to recall watching those on Cartoon Network as a kid... XD

[/size]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Holodeck's are cool because you can also have sub-stories within the stroy. Like you can play role playing games in the holodecks, of coarse the RPG itself won't permit that due to time and the focuis on the main story, but it's a nifty idea, because you can create different stories within the story and give the RPG diversity.

Like, hmmm, in Star Ocean Till the End of TIme when the characters enter that Holographic thing and play RPGs.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]There's plenty of room for some of that to happen anyway. I mean, yes, there will be a main plot line... but really the RPG will only work and become interesting when people start putting their own ideas into it. That's what I'm really looking for.

And Muse, you are absolutely right - you've got the right idea for the whole retro future thing. :catgirl:

So yeah, thanks for the feedback guys. We are not far away from auditions now, I think.[/font]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium][b]Edit:[/b] Okay, the first Dossier is online. I've kept some parts of it fairly general so that the players can fill in the details as they go.

I have just tried to provide a bit of background and context for the players. Although we will be putting up more Dossier items soon, this is really the main one I wanted to write prior to the auditions going live.[/font][/QUOTE]Ohhhh! A mysterious deck that next to nothing is known about. Hehe! It hasn't even launched yet and already there is intrigue! :catgirl: I'm guessing that we won't get to know what the letters refer to since I also imagine that it's something that the players would learn about as the story progressed.

But! I can take a guess at what the new acronym NARSIA stands for. Considering what was posted in the first section of information - Along with the fact that they dragged the journalist out of the ship. And that would be North Atlantic Republic Security Intelligence Agency! ... or something like that.

[I]*shot*[/I] [/FONT]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]So yeah, thanks for the feedback guys. We are not far away from auditions now, I think.[/font][/QUOTE]That's good to know... I haven't said anything yet but I have been keeping my eye on this. After all, where else can you find an rpg where you could potentially sign up as crew or rather crew that does something you already do in real life? Like being a musician who is part of a group of entertainers for the passengers. ;)

I could easily see something like this employing real musicians for special balls or events during the actual voyage. It would make a nice touch to have real people instead of recorded music only. Plus it would open up the possibility for citizens to actually audition for the position. Making it possible for someone who couldn't afford a ticket to get on board that way.

[SIZE=1]Just a quick question about characters - I'm just having a personal brainstorm about the kind of character I can create. Basically, I was wondering if there was a possibility of being able to play a reporter who was assigned to write an articel (or a series of articles) about the maiden voyage of the Von Braun.

I just thought it would be a good way to interact with as many characters as possible - getting interviews from passengers and various members of the crew. Let me know if it's a duff idea and I'll continue thinking.
[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Okay guys, the audition thread is live. I've put it up this weekend to give everyone plenty of time to put characters together.

I will not be actually launching this thing for at least another week, so you will have enough time to give your characters some thought and to ask questions here.

I've tried to keep the auditions thread as simple/clear as possible.

Indi and I will be signing up shortly. :catgirl:

Now I just have to finish my Almagest post... [/font]