OtakuBoards

Until Proven Guilty: The Court Records of Ace O'Turney, Ace Attorney

[center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/unmei_shinpai/UPG02-1.png[/IMG]
[SIZE="1"]Special thanks to the awesome sakurasuka for the awesome banner.[/SIZE]

[B][SIZE="3"]Until Proven Guilty: The Court records of Ace O'Turney, Ace Attorney[/SIZE][/B]

[B]- Record 1: The Cat in the Multiplex -[/B][/center]

Ace sighed with exasperation. "I can't believe I took this case," he thought to himself.

He would be defending Raiha in court today. The charges were not only severe, but ridiculous. Taking a lion to the local movie theater*? This was the strangest law he had ever heard of! Apparently there were hefty fines involved, jail time if there were other offenses. He was sure there were. Considering the fact that he was pretty sure lions were not legal pets. On top of that, a wild animal in a public place is bound to cause trouble, if not death. And where on Earth did she manage to obtain a lion?

"Hey there, lawyer guy."

"Ack! Oh, it's you."

"Yep, it's me. So, you ready for this?"

"Not at all. Seriously, This is my first case ever and I'm pretty much assured to lose. Eighty-four eyewitnesses! Eighty-four! Why would you do such a thing?!"

"You want a motive, huh? Okay, then. I did it on a dare."

"A dare?"

"Yeah. My roommate bet me I wouldn't do it. I did it partially to shut him up, but I got something else out of it."

"And what would that be?"

Raiha shrugged. "You'll find out."

"Two more questions," Ace demanded.

"Shoot."

"Did your roommate know it was illegal?"

"Would he have been that specific if he didn't?"

"Fair enough. Now where did you get that lion?"

"Zoo."

He was afraid of that.

[center][B]June 13th, 2014
10:00 A.M.
District Court
Courtroom No. 4[/B][/center]

Ace looked around the room. He was familiar with every single corner of it. He'd already been here dozens of times, assisting and observing his boss. He glanced at the front of the room. That was where the Judge would be sitting. He checked the desk across from him. That was the Prosecutor's desk. He knew it all, but he was still shaking in his boots. His first case, and it was totally hopeless!

"Chin up, Ace! It's not over yet! heck, it hasn't even begun yet!"

"Oh, it's you, Chibi. Don't sneak up like that! You know I'm nervous!"

Chibi Master was Ace's assistant. While she was sometimes out there and a bit neurotic, she had a tendency to bring new light to a subject and make people think a bit more. Accidental or not, it was a useful skill.

"So, whatcha thinkin' about?"

"I'm just wondering about the bailiff over there. I hear his name is Dagger. Kind of makes me wonder where he got it."

"Um, Ace?"

"Eh?"

"You should probably take another look."

"Why's that?"

"Dagger's a girl."

"Now I really don't want to know where the name came from."

Just then, Dagger spoke up. "All rise for Justice Kathy Anna!"

As the Judge entered the room, everyone fell silent. Just by looking at her, all in attendance could tell that there would be no biased rulings in the courtroom today. This Justice gave an unmistakable air of fairness. She sat down behind the bench and spoke.

"Court is now in session for the trial of State vs. Raiha Nuevo. I will accept no badgering of witnesses or perjury in my courtroom. This trial will be handled in a fair and just manner. Is the defense ready?"

"The defense is ready, Your Honor," replied Ace automatically. Funny, he didn't feel ready.

"Is the prosecution ready?"

"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor."

Ace looked at the prosecutor. He hadn't noticed him yet, but now he was surprised he hadn't. The Prosecutor's name was Odin M. Yggdrasill. He was also a rookie, but already he had an amazing presence in the courtroom. There was no possible way to ignore him.

"Very well, Mr. Yggdrasill. Your opening statement, please."

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the woman you see before you is unmistakably a criminal. Not only is there a specific law against what she has done, but thaking a lion to a place as public as the movie theater is extremely risky. Therefore, her various charges also include reckless endangerment, the ownership of an exotic animal and possibly theft depending on the identity of the lion in question. That is all."

"Well," thought Ace, "I'm toast."

"Before calling any witnesses,” began the Judge, “I would like to have the defendant speak. Get the story from the horse's mouth, as they say."

"WHAT did you call me?!"

"It's an expression. Does the prosecution have any objections?"

"No objections, Your Honor," Replied Odin coolly.

"Very well. Defendant, please approach the witness stand."

As soon as Raiha sat down, the questioning began.

"First of all, I would like to know what possessed you to do such a stupid and random thing," inquired the Judge.

"Alright," said Raiha, "I did it for a Klondike bar."

[SIZE="1"]*It's illegal in Maryland. I swear. Look it up.[/SIZE]

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]You know.... ......that totally sounds like something I'd do. Except maybe not for a Klondike bar, since I'm going through a fruit bar phase...and they were cheaper. At least my parents won't be shocked or horrified when this reaches them in the news cycle.

Only a couple problems with figuring out who was talking when near the end, but that's quite alright. I'll just muddle through and wring even more amusement out of this.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Raiha taking a lion to the theater? Now that is something I can easily see her doing. Anyone who objected would merely get a look from her that plainly said they were an idiot for even considering it odd. Heh.

Good start there Aceburner, it will be interesting to see how or if Raiha manages to weasel her way out of this one.[/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Lions and Tigers and Bears.... [I]*shot*[/I]

Hehe. :catgirl: Why does the crime seem to fit? I mean I don't even know Raiha and yet I can easily imagine her doing something like that. o_O

Now a few things! Only a few since Sir Allamorph is much better at grammar issues than I am. However I can point out a few format issues. [quote]Chibi Master was Ace's assistant. While she was sometimes out there and a bit neurotic, she had a tendency to bring new light to a

subject and make people think a bit more. Accidental or not, it was a useful skill.[/quote]Nothing major here, you've just somehow managed to put a line in separating the sentence.[quote]"Court is now in session for the trial of State vs. Raiha Nuevo. I will accept no badgering of witnesses or perjury in my

courtroom. This trial will be handled in a fair and just manner. Is the defense ready?"[/quote]Same thing here, just need to get rid of that extra line of space in the middle of the sentence.

Anyway, as [COLOR="Indigo"]Indi[/COLOR] said, it will be interesting to see if Raiha manages to not be in trouble for taking of all things... a lion to the theater. Hehe.[/FONT]

Yeah, sorry about the formatting issues. That's just what I get for drafting with Notepad.

Anyway, it's nice to get some positive feedback. To tell the truth, I was a bit nervous. I'll definitely be posting more before the end of the week. And not using notepad to draft anymore. And adding more speech tags. I almost got lost last time I read all that and I'm the one who wrote it.

People have told me I should be a lawyer, because you are right on the money I am not someone to be ignored easily.

So far it looks quite promising, I like where this is going.

By chance, what would the inspiration for this be though? It's quite entertaining, and I am curious how you got this idea.

I do see one small snag though. Doing all that for a simple klondike bar, doesn't that seem a touch unusual among one's train of thought? There may be additional motives behind this, and the truth shall be revealed in due time.

Keep it up, I look forward to seeing what you can do.

WOW! I'm an assistant! THANK YOU for making me such an important part thingy mabob!!!:excited: Lessee...I pointed out that Dagger was a girl? Heh...ironic, since I'm usually [I]very[/I] gender blind...:animeswea BUT WHO GIVES A F***, 'CAUSE I'M AN ASSISTANT!!!! YAAAAAAYYY!!!!!:animesmil

[quote name='Odin M Yggdrasi']I do see one small snag though. Doing all that for a simple klondike bar, doesn't that seem a touch unusual among one's train of thought? There may be additional motives behind this, and the truth shall be revealed in due time.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I pity thee who dost not get the joke. (What would [I]you[/I] do for a Klondike Bar?)

At any rate, this will be fun to watch. And considering what all I know of future events....

:D

[B]Side Note:[/B] My mother just went ballistic at the use of the following phrase: [I]"[U]among[/U] one's train of thought"[/I]. Bad grammar, Odin. How dare ye. =P[/FONT]

[quote name='Aceburner;811753]Yeah, sorry about the formatting issues. That's just what I get for drafting with Notepad.[/QUOTE]Word is your friend, or at the very least Works if you have it. If not, pester your parents to pick up office 2007 since it's great for school use. Seriously. Though I'm thinking you're in High School... if I'm wrong... ignore me. You could check out Zoho since it has an online word processor one can use, but I'm not familiar with it and don't know if it's any good or not.[quote name='Aceburner'']Anyway, it's nice to get some positive feedback. To tell the truth, I was a bit nervous. I'll definitely be posting more before the end of the week. And not using notepad to draft anymore. And adding more speech tags. I almost got lost last time I read all that and I'm the one who wrote it.[/quote]Of course, just as it's nice to see something different in here. I mean seriously, Raiha running around with a Lion? Ha! I think that's something she would do.

Also, notepad is evil! Make a mental note to never, [I]ever[/I] use it! :p

[SIZE="1"]Heh, what a fun little read. And yes, it does actually sound like something D'Ann would do for a dare, which makes it all the story even better.

I'm not going to pick through any grammar issues, I'll leave that to whoever feels like it, I don't do criticism in stories. That said, I'm going to agree with Darren, using Notepad isn't a great idea, Word, if you have it would be a far better choice, just for your own satisfaction.[/SIZE]

[center][B]Part Two[/B][/center]

Ace’s face went white. An ice cream bar? He’d heard the commercials, but this was just stupid. He looked up for a moment, glared at whatever idiot introduced such a ridiculous plot device, and proceeded as if he hadn’t just shattered the fourth wall like so many baseballs through a neighbor’s window.

“Hey, Ace,” asked Chibi, “What’s the matter?”

“Nothing. I’m just wondering if it’s at all possible to switch to Prosecution now,” replied Ace.

“Don’t give up yet! They haven’t even called the first witness!”

Raiha’s questioning was now over. There was nothing Ace hadn’t heard before, so he was ready for the next witness.

“The Prosecution would like to call Mr. James Wallace to the stand,” Announced Odin.

Mr. Wallace approached the stand. He gave off an air of authority and common sense, with just a bit of mischief thrown in.

“Name and occupation, witness.”

“My name is James Wallace. As for occupation, you could say I run this city, though you might not think about it much.”

“No way! You’re a mob boss?!” Ace seemed a bit surprised.

“Please, Mr. O’Turney,” replied Odin, “Even you should be able to recognize our mayor.

“Oh, this is awkward. No further questions at this time.”

“Excellent. Witness, you may begin your testimony,” said Odin.

“Alright, here I go. I’m the mayor of this city, as the young Prosecutor just said. I happened to see all this while out to catch a show. I couldn’t believe my eyes! This woman was taking a lion in to the theater! It was-”

“OBJECTION!” Ace nearly threw out his lungs with that yell, “Do you, good sir, have any proof of what you claim to have seen?”

“Objection!” This time, Odin was the one speaking, “Mr. O’Turney, you seem to have forgotten a few vital details.”

“What do you mean?”

“Duh,” said Chibi, “He means the defendant is guilty!”

Ace was confused. “How do you know? I thought it was my job to convince everyone she wasn’t!”

“ Not this time, Ace. She’s already confessed and even if you can disprove this witness, there’s eighty-three more eyewitnesses just waiting to get a crack at you! This case is pretty hopeless, unless she didn’t actually do anything wrong…”

Ace’s spirit hit an all time low. Just as suddenly, however, it was back up.

“Chibi, you’re a genius!”

“What did I do?”

“It’s all clear now! All I have to do is prove that she did it for a good reason!”

Ace stood up. He was going to try it.

“Your Honor, may I speak?”

The judge blinked. “Very well, Mr. O’Turney, let’s hear it.”

“Thank you. Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, my client stands before you today accused of taking a lion to a movie theater. According to her, it was done in exchange for a Klondike bar. These accusations may seem very serious, but I wonder what any of you would do for a Klondike bar? Would you stand on one leg? Would you drive a Go-Kart in the Indy 500?” He glanced at the Judge. “Would you acquit my client?”

“Mr. O’Turney, are you trying to bribe any members of the court, by any chance?” asked the Judge.

“Would it work?”

“Not in your lifetime.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” replied Ace, taking his seat once more. “Worth a shot,” he thought.

“Well,” said the Judge, “I don’t think we’ll be finding anything case-breaking in the testimony of this witness.. You are free to go, Mr. Mayor. Prosecution, please call your next witness at this time.”

[SIZE="1"]Not part of story:

Well, here's part 2. Mostly filler and testing the water a little. Maybe not as good as the first part. Part 3 will probably conclude Case 1. I just need to figure out who runs the zoo here. The other thread is still open, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'll hear them over there. Thanks in advance.

And yes, The last names are pretty much coming out of nowhere unless I can dig a fake one out of your profile.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Tahoma"]I OBJECT! My lawyer was defective!

Seriously! Come on! You could've done so much better protecting me from...a heavy fine.

*facepalm*[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]*bonks Raiha, Objection Overruled!* :D

I'm sure Aceburner will figure it out, after all your character's statement that you did it for a Klondike bar is probably not even true. So drag Raiha to the stand to find out the real reason!

I mean that's one possible outcome and true to how the game this seems to be based on ends up running. The accused pretty much [I]always[/I] has another reason besides the one they initially cough up. Heh.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']*bonks Raiha, Objection Overruled!* :D[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]*Whacks Darren with an over-sized gavel.*

Last time I checked, it was Judge [I]Kathy[/I]. ^_~

Anyway, not a bad second chapter Ace, for some unknown reason I heard Cartman's voice giving that speech of yours, it just seemed like something he'd try.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]For soem reason I feel that there is going to be DigitalBoy murder case... with me as the prime suspect. >_> But so far, bravicimo. Too bad one of my friends has my DS, cause if I had it I'd be able to finish Phoenix Wright! I miss Larry and The fake Masque D Mask's hot wife... *sigh*...[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aceburner']Want me to try the Chewbacca Defense next time?:p[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Ace as Johnny Cochrane, go for it if you think you can pull it off as well as he did. ^_~[/SIZE]

[quote name='Aberinkula'][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]For soem reason I feel that there is going to be DigitalBoy murder case... with me as the prime suspect. >_> [/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]If this ever happens, I'd like to be either Judge or Prosecutor, preferably the former.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]If this ever happens, I'd like to be either Judge or Prosecutor, preferably the former.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I've considered you as a prosecutor before, just so ya know. So much edited star Wars dialog potential... (that wouldn't be all, but it would be present.)

As for the Chewbacca Defense gag, I may try to work it into Case 2 if I can find a spot to fit it into. Case 2 is going to get pretty zany.

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]*Whacks Darren with an over-sized gavel.*
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

*whacks Gavin with umbrella* Sorry, I just wanted to participate in the smacking!:animesmil
Anyway, GREAT JOB, ACEBURNER!!! By the way, my friend read the story and said that you got my personality spot - on! Good for you!

What an amusing thread and concept. I have only one question since it seems you are using members from the site for the story, and that is to wonder if by Kathy Anna you are actually referring to me? Or is there another Kathy here at OtakuBoards that I am unaware of? Anyway, it was interesting and fun to read.

[quote name='Aaryanna_Mom']What an amusing thread and concept. I have only one question since it seems you are using members from the site for the story, and that is to wonder if by Kathy Anna you are actually referring to me? Or is there another Kathy here at OtakuBoards that I am unaware of? Anyway, it was interesting and fun to read.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's you. I figured Aaryanna Mom would be a kind of weird name (then again, I went ahead and used chibi-master's full screenname,) So I used your first name and decided that if I gave your daughter a part later on, her name would be Aary. Weird, huh?

[QUOTE=Gavin][SIZE="1"]*Whacks Darren with an over-sized gavel.*

Last time I checked, it was Judge [I]Kathy[/I]. ^_~[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial][I]*replaces you*[/I]

The substitution's legit; I think it's a little-known Utah law thing.... =P

Continue onward, sir. 'Tis rather amusing.[/FONT]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Tahoma"]I OBJECT! My lawyer was defective!

Seriously! Come on! You could've done so much better protecting me from...a heavy fine.

*facepalm*[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Awful expensive Klondike bar don't you think? However, if you wish to plead insanity please make your case since that was a pretty nutty thing you did.

Also, the line about the mob boss was priceless.

And why the heck is it always Mayor Wallace or Mayor Wilson? I think every single Mayor I know of has been a Wallace or Wilson.

I like how this is going, keep it up.