OtakuBoards

Stuff you miss dearly on OB.

Nomurah!

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Sabrina;815410][FONT="Tahoma"]O_O I suppose that's a good reason to say you're glad you haven't been around long enough to miss it. The less drama the better right?^^[/FONT][/QUOTE]Oh you'll find that like any place OB has it's share of things you miss (which as I said before is people, not parts of the boards) and things you'd rather forget. The best part about that fiasco that Aaryanna linked to, is it got all that nonsense out into the open so people were talking about it instead of sticking to the shadows and making things worse by doing nothing to get their concerns addressed. [quote name='Sabrina'][FONT="Tahoma"']Anyway, I've been here three months as of today! o_O Why does it feel like an eternity? Still, it's clear that there is nothing for me to really miss, I haven't been here long enough to get to that point. =P[/FONT][/quote]OB is like that, especially when there are so many people that you end up being friends with since there area lot of fun people here. I look back and think, how can it only just be approaching three years? It certainly feels like I've been here a lot longer. [/COLOR]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]I wish I still had all of the old layouts on my computer. Many fatal crashes and different computers have come and gone since those days, though.

I do, however, have some stuff that never ended up seeing the light of day.

And hopefully now we can actually pick up the pieces on the new version of the site, after being left somewhat high and dry.

And Stephanie, did you ever have different user names on OB? For me, personally...it can be one of the primary reasons why I forget who people are. Some members who have changed their names frequently are still remembered because they've been incredibly active, which makes a difference too.

But yeah, in some ways that's why I've never wanted to change my own user name. I mean, yes, mine is boring... but then again, there will never be any mistaking who I am. It can get very confusing at times with some members (for me, anyway). :catgirl:[/font][/QUOTE]
[size=1]I finally got used to my name. I was around before the whole "13+" went onto the site, so I've gone through multiple personality changes. That and for some reason, I always felt like using your real name was a veteran user thing. Now that I've been her 4+ years I think I've earned it. :][/size]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][quote name='Zen'][color=royalblue][size=1]You just had to go there, huh, Aaryanna? Darn.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]Of course. I may have good memories of OB, but I have some that aren't so hot too. However, I like to think that sort of helped break down the barrier or rather helped to put an end to some of that kind of unfriendly thinking towards new members. :catgirl: I'm not going to pretend that I have some grand view of the past though because when I look back, that stands out.

Plus I still don't buy the idea that seniority gives rank in any manner at all. How do people gain it? In my opinion it's more about having a good time and making friends and forgetting about recognition that you don't really need in the first place. If people really want things to become more like the good times in the past, you have the power to get involved and make it happen.

Anyway I still enjoy OB and I have great memories too, otherwise I wouldn't bother to stick around. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]It does suck when a thread like that makes the rest of us look like Newbie-haters. As long as we remember that most people don't think that way, it isn't too bad.

Anyway, I suppose that if you're here for a long time (and you actually spend most of your time doing constructive things rather than whining constantly), then you probably do earn some sense of seniority.

Still, I am happy that this has never been something the staff have really endorsed. I mean, we've had such a wide range of Mods over the years... all ages, all backgrounds and all levels of "seniority". I think that's important and it speaks for itself.

I do think there are two things that have never (and likely will never) change on OB, though.

First, the ironic situation of members who complain and make regular snide comments about the community, yet who remain here year after year (and who themselves are the number one contributors to the very degredation they complain about).

And second...the fact that no matter what, there will always be naval-gazing threads.

I think sometimes members do so much talking about the site that they forget to actually post discussions or artwork or RPGs or whatever. It's kind of like buying a new video game and doing nothing but talking about it, rather than actually playing it. I somehow don't think that'll change too much for some.[/font]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium] And second...the fact that no matter what, there will always be naval-gazing threads. [/font][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I've found that the response to that is usually almost the exact same thing. I'm pretty sure I've seen you use "rose colored glasses" and "naval-gazing" at least a dozen times each in this exact context. : P[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]I've found that the response to that is usually almost the exact same thing. I'm pretty sure I've seen you use "rose colored glasses" and "naval-gazing" at least a dozen times each in this exact context. : P[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]But if it's naval gazing shouldn't we call it what it is?

Although in my case, it might be naval piercing gazing...

But seriously folks, it's not that James is wrong at all. And his remarks about seniority are well founded. I remember a variety of moderators just like he does. With varying levels of capability, background, etc etc etc. Of course I also remember Kuja and other such towering pillars of moron.

Some properties just aren't worth it.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I can't really say I miss anything from the past except people which has been mention many times before. I tend to disappear from time to time and get to busy to come here. I like coming back and seeing how its changed and to see who I names I still know. I have noticed Otakuboards in more relaxed then when I first joined as has been mention. That change I think has been the best I have seen on here to me.

[quote]I've found that the response to that is usually almost the exact same thing. I'm pretty sure I've seen you use "rose colored glasses" and "naval-gazing" at least a dozen times each in this exact context. : P[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yep, you're totally right. It's what I usually say in these threads at some stage. But, you know, it's true. And someone's got to say it, haha.

It's funny because when people talk about RPGs even and the "good old days", I wonder if they've seen something like Almagest Legacy; it was an RPG with a ton of members (old and new) and everyone had a lot of fun. It was one of the better projects in recent years.

I just think people love to complain but don't bother to actually get involved at all. And if you never get involved, you'll never know any better.[/font]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="1"]I miss my enthusiasm for the boards and for RPG's. Uni sort of sucked that out of me :(

One would think that with graduation and extra time I would be here more often...but then I discovered World of Warcraft. Hm.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][SIZE="1"]I miss Raiyuu being the mod for the Lounge. Our mods now are fantastic. I just miss it.

I also kinda miss coming here. I'm never here anymore. I post on postsecretcommunity & am at 2300 posts. I guess that's my board of choice now... but I lurk here still. So I miss all y'all.

I still want to have the Meeting of the Indiana OB'ers sometime though.

Oh. I also miss when EVERYBODY posted in size 1.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='taperson'][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][SIZE="1"]I miss Raiyuu being the mod for the Lounge.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]I miss that Raiyuu is gone as well. I still remember getting a pm with a mild whack from him for accidentally doing a tiny bit of back seat modding without meaning to. So yeah, it definitely feels odd to see people moving on, especially when you barely got a chance to get to know them.

[quote name='taperson'][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][SIZE="1"]Oh. I also miss when EVERYBODY posted in size 1.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Better still, when everyone just copied Sara's size 1 black style in an attempt to be cool. I think Shy and I are the only two left doing that, although truth be told, I just copied him. Heh. ^_^;[/SIZE]

[quote name='Stephanie'][size=1]I do it, too, Gavin. :p I always thought size 1 font just made your posts look more sophisticated. Truth is, it just makes your RPG posts look a Helluva lot shorter.[/size][/QUOTE]

[quote name='SaiyanPrincessX'][SIZE="1"]Hey I've been using size 1 font for awhile now. :p[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][strike]This is probably why I shouldn't post after midnight, heh, I tend to become a bit unobservant. Sorry Steph, make that three people. ^_^[/strike]

OK, OK, white flag time. There are apparently a lot more people than I thought still using it. ^_^;[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Hey I've been using size 1 font for awhile now. :p

Something I do [i]not[/i] miss about the old days is giant avatars and signatures. Although, I think Adam and James nipped that in the butt pretty quick. I can't stand going to a forum where its "free for all". People have like four banners in their signature, and an avatar as big as the screen. XD[/SIZE]

[color=#9933ff]Truth be told, although there is quite a bit I miss from OB's "old" days, I think there's still a lot of cool stuff around, today.

What I miss, though, is as someone else put it, my enthusiasm for the boards. I got really busy with my 25 page English Paper and my AP US History class junior year of high school, and I've never really gotten back to the boards the way I used to.

I miss having a gigantic buddy list on AIM, and being able to pull together a silly OB chat on AIM.

And I definitely, definitely miss Charles. Both on OB and outside of it. But we've got a long history together and life happens.

Of course, even though it's been gone for ages, since like... V5 or V6, the Digimon forum! That was really, really good times, everyone. =)[/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie'][color=#9933ff]
And I definitely, definitely miss Charles. Both on OB and outside of it. But we've got a long history together and life happens. [/color][/QUOTE]

Heh, sorry Roxie. I miss OtakuBoards and my friends on here in general, but I have just been very busy lately. Back in January my student teaching was pushed back because of a missing class just days before I was set to begin. Since then I have been working two jobs so that I can afford it in about a month. Between fifteen hour work days and making time for my girlfriend, time has been kind of limited for me. I am doing well though and miss you too!

[color=darkblue][size=1]Like a lot of people have said, it's the people that I met and made friends with over the years that I miss the most about OB. Especially Solo, that silly wolfman.

...In a strange way, I almost miss the "Rate My Team" sticky that was in the Pokémon forum. Back when there [i]was[/i] a Pokémon forum (it will always be my long lost baby...). But then I think about how quickly they dissolved into something vaguely reminiscent of the Yu Yu Hakusho forum, haha. (May that forum rest at the bottom of the Internet for all eternity. That is a primordial evil that should never again be released upon the world.)

Anyway, I also miss when we did Otaku Big Brother (though that may stem mostly because I actually made it to the finals...). Oh, the randomosity that ensued in that thread. The [b]Golden Chainsaw of Damnation[/b] will forever live on in my heart and memory. XD

...Is there any way that could come back? Please?[/color][/size]

[color=darkgreen][font=garamond] Man I would so love to get back into an RPG, but really the only reason why I'm back here for a little while is because I'm on holidays. Past 22nd of July, I may not post again until the end of the year. I hope it's not going to be like that, but still I don't have the time required to do my fellow RPGers justice. I don't even have time to contribute to the creative writing section of the board these days... my how life has changed.

Something I do miss is people knowing me... I almost feel shy posting these days, and the majority of what I post is completely ignored. Still, this is how it is now. Also I just found out two of my friends here have been banned somewhere along the way. Some of the others have left, and the rest have changed their names beyond recognition! *clings to Raiha*

Ps. I take back what I said about missing being immature and outspoken... I just read some of my old posts. Incredibly embarrassing doesn't quite cover it.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Ravenstorture'][color=darkgreen][font=garamond] Something I do miss is people knowing me... I almost feel shy posting these days, and the majority of what I post is completely ignored. Still, this is how it is now. [/font][/color][/QUOTE]Oh I may have nothing to say in return at times, but by no means do I ignore your posts. I'm sure others do the same, lurk and read without responding. Often it's because I'm too busy with school to do more than read what people have posted.

[quote name='Zen'][b][u]DRAGON WARRIOR![/b][/u][/size][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Thanks, Affleck :P It's good to know at least someone is thinking of me. However, I have to honestly say I miss when [b]artists and writers and roleplayers[/b] got the recognition they deserved. We're all dying breeds it seems and as so of you have pointed out, we're not exactly as active in the arts forums as Time Square on New Years.

Back when OB first started (Yeah, I'm [i]that old[/i], like a few of you), writing and roleplaying was pretty primitive. Posts in an RPG could look like this...
[indent]ryu saw the monster in the woods. but before he Could attak, somethjng came out of nowhere!

lol your turn. make sure ryu doesnt diie. i have an idea for what happens after the monster.[/indent]

Yeah, it was pretty basic and the posts would certainly be considered spam in this day and age, but the simplicity of it all was astounding. I remember I was excited to see new posts in RPGs. I was very much eager to play and participate. The RPGs weren't about who has the best title graphic or most words in their posts. The plots were simple, but the storylines progressed as characters developed and ideas flowed through our combinations of contributions. I hate to say it, but I felt like I enjoyed roleplaying back then rather than now. I find it hard to keep myself interested.

Plus, in writing purposes, no one wants to reply to other people's works. So feedback is rarely given to stories or any art, for that matter. I miss the old days when art was a large part of the Otaku world. What became of that?[/size]

[quote name='Ravenstorture'][color=darkgreen][font=garamond]
Something I do miss is people knowing me... I almost feel shy posting these days, and the majority of what I post is completely ignored. Still, this is how it is now. Also I just found out two of my friends here have been banned somewhere along the way. Some of the others have left, and the rest have changed their names beyond recognition! *clings to Raiha*

Ps. I take back what I said about missing being immature and outspoken... I just read some of my old posts. Incredibly embarrassing doesn't quite cover it.[/font][/color][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Halp people! There's a cute redhead attached to my leg.

GET IT OFFFFF!

Just kidding, actually I miss your RPGs lady. Remember Lathum Adytum? I'm trying to live it down still but hey, whatever. When you get a chance, we'll take a whack at rping together. And. It. Will. Be. Awesome.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Ravenstorture'][color=darkgreen][font=garamond] others have left, and the rest have changed their names beyond recognition!
[/font][/color][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="1"]I hear you. I feel kind of stupid when I look around and have no idea who people are now >.>;[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Remember Lathum Adytum? [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="1"]That was awesome fun. Apart from [b]cloricus[/b], who I'm assuming was one of the two friends you're referring to, Raven?

There are a ton of RPG's I always wanted to see the end of, and I'm not just talking about one's I was involved with [>.>;]. It's a shame to see ideas just hanging there...flapping in the breeze before they eventually drop into the forgotten archives of oblivion...[/SIZE][/FONT]