OtakuBoards

Stuff you miss dearly on OB.

Nomurah!

[color=#4B0082]Most of what I miss are people rather than actual parts of the boards. The current versions of vB have so many more and better features than the old ones that it's hard to miss much. For example, we don't have member titles based on post count anymore but we do have custom titles, which was a requested feature for years, and I like this setup a lot more.

Ginny stands out as the person I miss the most. She's one of the few people I've approached in hopes of becoming friends, rather than other people coming to me. I barely ever do that, either online or in person, so that's pretty significant. I'd say she's the closest online friend I've ever had.

There's tons of other oldies that I miss as well. Too many to list all of them, really. Flash, Warlock, Sephiroth, Break, [strike]kuja[/strike] ... to name a few.

I do miss the Zelda forum though?or, rather, there being enough talk about Zelda on the site to support its own forum. I loved guiding people through various parts of the games in all the help threads that would pop up. One time I even wrote up a little guide that told how to get all of the small keys in Ocarina of Time's Water Temple because so many people were asking for help with that. Another time, when someone asked for help with Majora's Mask's Gyorg boss, I totally outclassed and corrected a boss guide that was on the old Otaku Gamer site by writing my own, which I think kind of embarrassed the author of the guide on Otaku Gamer. The Zelda forum was like my own little corner of OB.[/color]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[SIZE=1]My old RPG Posse.

Well, not really a posse, just the members I used to role play with frequently. I also miss Dmitri Dragoon and KKC a lot, and Sakura when we used to RPG. In fact, I miss the days when mindless, effortless RPGs were the most fun and got further than all the majorly planned out ones. Then again, I was an awful writer back then, so let's not go there.

I think I kinda miss the old people I used to hang out with. Now I'm just sorta all on my own because I'm terrible at making new friends ¬_¬.

I miss when people actually knew me as well ¬_¬[/SIZE]

[quote name='Whoa, Mann'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]I miss OB aim chats. Those are fun.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Oh! I had forgotten about those. Great times.

I don't talk to many people from here outside of OB much anymore. Except for Boo, who is my ninja sidekick. I used to talk to James once in while, especially when The Matrix was big here, heh. I used to talk to Doc and Lost Phophet too, not to mention the old oldies I already mentioned. :p[/SIZE]

[COLOR="SlateGray"][SIZE="1"]I miss Viva Otaku and other general civil unrest between old members and newer members who had gained superiority fairly.

Hell, I'm one of those members who used to stir up the hornets nest.

I also miss some of the members I used to interact with such as Avalon, Annie (among other names, sheesh.), and even Charles.

All in all I just miss the days when I'd spend HOURS on the OB replying to every single thread that either interested me or I had two cents to put in on just to get my post count high enough to NOT look like a new member, haha.

I also miss some of the more inventive RPG ideas from years past. Kill Adam, though I did not partake, was pretty sweet. Too much riff raff in the RPG forum nowadays that I can't muster up the will to participate and the ones I do wanna try for take off like an airliner before I get a chance to write up a good character. (Ahem, James. Von Braun. Awesome idea.)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1][color=royalblue]

Ahem....

[size=3][/color]

[b][u]DRAGON WARRIOR![/b][/u][/size]

[color=royalblue]

Also I agree with silpheed about the times I used to literally spend hours on OB and it was never, ever dead. A good group were always on, and I used to spend alot of my day going around, replying to threads, etc. Now-a-days, I may be 'logged on' but I'm not doing much of anything. I'll be on MySpace or YouTube doing something, while I have my tab with OB open... I miss the old days.[/size][/color]

[COLOR="Indigo"]The only thing I miss about OtakuBoards is people I met when I first joined, that and days when the Lounge [I]doesn?t[/I] have some sort of [I]?I miss this about OtakuBoards?[/I] thread on the first page. Every time one finally dies? someone revives it or starts a new version of it. Instead of you know? [I]doing something[/I] to make things more lively like the [I]so - called - good - old - days[/I]. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Zen][size=1][color=royalblue]Also I agree with silpheed about the times I used to literally spend hours on OB and it was never, ever dead. A good group were always on, and I used to spend alot of my day going around, replying to threads, etc.[/size'][/color][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Oh, you mean like back when members weren't thrown out the airlock for not having posts that were literary masterpieces? Back when some degree of lolspeak was permissible because the majority still thought it was cool? Back when there weren't half a dozen antediluvian members present who seemed to find it perforce to flaunt their longevity and perceived skill given the remotest hint of an opportunity, as if it were somehow indicative of rank?

Ah. You mean back when this forum wasn't a gathering place for the pretentious. Yes. I'm sure you miss it.

Don't we all.[/FONT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='James;815235][font=franklin gothic medium]There are a ton of things I miss about the past... but I think most of it relates to the people. [/font][/QUOTE][quote name='Desbreko;815273][color=#4B0082]Most of what I miss are people rather than actual parts of the boards. [/color][/QUOTE][QUOTE=Indi'][COLOR="Indigo"']The only thing I miss about OtakuBoards is people I met when I first joined [/COLOR][/quote]*All of the above - Quoted for truth*

Everything I miss always comes down to friends I've made who moved on; not actual parts of the boards. I'd miss things more except I'm always making new friends and finding new fun times that I enjoy.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial] Back when there weren't half a dozen antediluvian members present who seemed to find it perforce to flaunt their longevity and perceived skill given the remotest hint of an opportunity, as if it were somehow indicative of rank?[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Hey, it's not [i]our[/i] fault we're better because we've been here longer.

And on a serious note, [i]that was never not the case.[/i] "Damn the newbs" has been a rallying cry for years.[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]And on a serious note, [i]that was never not the case.[/i] "Damn the newbs" has been a rallying cry for years.[/color][/QUOTE][size=1]It's true. OB is much more friendly towards 'newbies' than it was when Nerdsy or I joined. If I remember correctly, it was H-Bomb who threatened to ban me after my first few posts.

I showed him. Ha!

-Shy[/size]

[color=crimson]Haha, I might have been here for awhile but the only real thing I end up thinking about sometime are some of the people I had a good fellowship with who I have lost contact with.

Deb (Lady M) and Baby Girl (Jenna) come to mind most immediately, I had pretty fun conversations with both of them.

The old times were not any better, merely different. There are plenty of people now who were not around in 2001 worth a good conversation or two.

Not anyone in this thread, mind you. ;)[/color]

[font=franklin gothic medium]And ironically, Allamorph's post was the most pretentious thing I've read on OB for some time. (Pretentiousness from a Moderator? OMG! :smirk:)

Anyway, I agree with DeathKnight. It's so easy to look back on the past with rose-coloured glasses, but if you actually went back to the past... well, most of it now is nostalgia.

OB is a lot more laid back now than it ever was. In fact, I'd say that between about 2003 and 2004 was probably our most strict time...and that was because we were recovering from a giant melt-down due to mass spammers.

These days, most things are acceptable.

Anyway, that certainly doesn't stop me missing some older members - it's not that they are any better than those who are here now, it's just that I have fond memories of them.

In fact, there are a ton of new members around from the last year or two who have become great contributors. I think the "oldies" who don't get too disillusioned with things are the ones who actually bother to talk to the newcomers in the first place.[/font]

[quote]It's true. OB is much more friendly towards 'newbies' than it was when Nerdsy or I joined. If I remember correctly, it was H-Bomb who threatened to ban me after my first few posts.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yup. I still remember when I became a Moderator at the site, before it became OtakuBoards.

Back then, the [i]only[/i] activity on the site was restricted to maybe half a dozen spam threads (i.e. just people flaming each other and stuff). I still remember going into the Nintendo forum and struggling to find a single person who would post anything.

Good ol' H-Bomb. I still remember your early posts, Shy. We've all grown up. :smirk:[/font]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]And ironically, Allamorph's post was the most pretentious thing I've read on OB for some time. (Pretentiousness from a Moderator? OMG! :smirk:)[/font][/quote][size=1]The [i]extreme[/i] irony. :whoops:[/size]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]Good ol' H-Bomb. I still remember your early posts, Shy. We've all grown up. :smirk:[/font][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Speak for youself.

Fortunately my [i]really bad[/i] posts were deleted with the switch to V3. It took many, many years before I turned into the beacon of quality and level-headedness that I am now. Good thing standards were pretty low back in the day.

-Shy[/size]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Oh, you mean like back when members weren't thrown out the airlock for not having posts that were literary masterpieces? Back when some degree of lolspeak was permissible because the majority still thought it was cool? Back when there weren't half a dozen antediluvian members present who seemed to find it perforce to flaunt their longevity and perceived skill given the remotest hint of an opportunity, as if it were somehow indicative of rank?

Ah. You mean back when this forum wasn't a gathering place for the pretentious. Yes. I'm sure you miss it.

Don't we all.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[color=royalblue][size=1]

Yeah, I do miss that time. But that time was before your join date, as I can see. Maybe I'm wrong, but I joined in 2003, three years before you did. I'm not being confrontational, but the time I'm talking about was around '03-'06.

And how else is rank given than through skill and seniority? But hey, I'm not saying anything about you personally, you're a great member, and I admire you. I'm just saying, don't be so harsh on what some of us agree on as the "golden days". Maybe it can come back, if a little more enthusiasm from the members comes about.

I have a few ideas I'd like to implement (no, not banning or higher standards) that I think would help out a little. I'd like to start carrying said things out, but some those ideas I think mods should be in charge of, or atleast help with.[/color][/size]

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]
The old times were not any better, merely different. There are plenty of people now who were not around in 2001 worth a good conversation or two.

Not anyone in this thread, mind you. ;)[/color][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Oh, fine then. I see where I stand. T_T I've been around since 2003, but hey, I guess that doesn't matter. *hides in corner*

I remember how much Harlequin used to hate me. My three-line RP posts grated on many a mods nerves back then. I still get upset sometimes because I've been around since before the legendary Annie and yet only one or two members remember me. Bleh.

As cool as the new layout is, I sincerely miss the simple, old layout. I don't know why, I guess I'm just old fashioned.

Shoot me. Please.[/size]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I miss the slumber parties and all of the pizza that came along with them. I miss the time that Desbreko and I climbed to the top of Mt. Everest wearing nothing but our boxers.

I miss when I used to log on and get bombarded with private messages asking me the size of my shoe. Oh, I remember.

But most of all, I miss never actually being a part of this site at all. I mean come on, this is only my eighth post in four years.[/COLOR] [/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][quote name='Shy'][size=1]It's true. OB is much more friendly towards 'newbies' than it was when Nerdsy or I joined. If I remember correctly, it was H-Bomb who threatened to ban me after my first few posts.

I showed him. Ha!

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]And it continued to remain ever so friendly long after you two joined! [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=54015"][U]Click![/U][/URL]

Anyway, like James, Desbreko, Indi and SunfallE already said, the only thing I miss is some of the people I first met. But! I've also made new friends since then so it all works out. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]And it continued to remain ever so friendly long after you two joined! [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=54015"][U]Click![/U][/URL][/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]O_O I suppose that's a good reason to say you're glad you haven't been around long enough to miss it. The less drama the better right?^^

Anyway, I've been here three months as of today! o_O Why does it feel like an eternity? Still, it's clear that there is nothing for me to really miss, I haven't been here long enough to get to that point. =P[/FONT]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]And it continued to remain ever so friendly long after you two joined! [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=54015"][U]Click![/U][/URL]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

You just had to go there, huh, Aaryanna? Darn.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Stephanie'][size=1]

As cool as the new layout is, I sincerely miss the simple, old layout. I don't know why, I guess I'm just old fashioned.
[/size][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I wish I still had all of the old layouts on my computer. Many fatal crashes and different computers have come and gone since those days, though.

I do, however, have some stuff that never ended up seeing the light of day.

And hopefully now we can actually pick up the pieces on the new version of the site, after being left somewhat high and dry.

And Stephanie, did you ever have different user names on OB? For me, personally...it can be one of the primary reasons why I forget who people are. Some members who have changed their names frequently are still remembered because they've been incredibly active, which makes a difference too.

But yeah, in some ways that's why I've never wanted to change my own user name. I mean, yes, mine is boring... but then again, there will never be any mistaking who I am. It can get very confusing at times with some members (for me, anyway). :catgirl:[/font]

[color=darkred][size=1]Uh, this is one of those threads that I could just post a long, long list of user names and tell you all the great people and conversations that I miss. Arguably, I could post regularly again, but writing sucks up my time and the fact that I know pretty much no one here anymore doesn't help much.

Can I be known as one of the first people to just burn out on OB?

--Chris[/color][/size]

[color=darkgreen][font=garamond]
Yeah I got no idea who is who on this damn thing anymore. Could probably tell by what they're saying, but on here, the only people that people listen to is themselves. Certainly was the case with me, anyway. I remember sneaking into the moderator forum one day and reading people paying me and harlequin out, saying the only way they could tell us apart was the colour of our posts. And I was so [i]cut[/i]... :animesmil

I don't miss much, except for being extremely immature and ignorant. And outspoken about it! Hey, I'm going to go ahead and claim that the literature forum was responsible for the third uprising of emo. Who's with me? I don't miss anything in fact. I've been here for seven or eight years now and by jove I don't think that much has changed at all.
[/color][/font]