OtakuBoards

Graphic Worm 2009 - Discussion Thread

Boo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=1]Just to clear this up:
[list][*]First off, the discussion thread is not the claim thread. This thread is for discussing, suggestions and feedback, not for saying that you want to go next in the worm. That's what the GW thread itself is for, like it says in its rules.
[*]Secondly Citric, you just went one piece ago. It might be fun to allow others a shot.
[*]Thirdly you cannot just say that you will go or wont go depending on the last [i]person[/i]. Seriously, [i]what?[/i] It should depend on the piece before all, and besides, just wait with posting until you are sure who you are claiming after if you really insist.
[*]Fourthly I would really not like to see another piece that has a ton of gradient, brushes and varying colours along the edge of the piece. That's either hell to follow up from for anyone who doesn't have the same gradients and brushes, or hell for me to edit to a usable shape. Besides, the entries must be [b].jpeg[/b] files, for reasons obvious to anyone who knows how to handle a graphic program.
[*]Fifthly... [i][b]seriously[/b][/i]?[/list]

So in any case. [b]POST THE CLAIMS IN THE OTHER THREAD[/b]. Any piece claims in this thread will be completely ignored. And also: everybody [b]READ THE RULES[/b] before you join in.

With that said, I'm handing the next spot to [b]Sir Drift-A-Lot[/b] who clearly understood the rules and went to post their claim in the actual thread it should be posted it. *applauds*[/size]

1. Techincally, I wasn't claiming anything. If I was to claim something, I would've done it in the claim thread. Since jigglyness didn't post in the thread if she was claiming or not, I didn't think I was in the wrong. Apparently I was.

2. As said, I thought jigglyness was going. Not being a hog.

3. I always wanted to work with jigglyness so excuse me.

4. They easily could've been replicated. I didn't use any brushes in that so they could've just been continued with custom shapes. I've received a lot worse things on other forums and I don't complain. A worm should make you work on blending between 2 pieces of art, not take a shortcut. And excuse you but I know how to use a graphics program. PNG is the best format for web viewing and has compressed files, unlike JPEG. So I missed that part in the rules, it happens and it's easily fixable.

5. Apparently so.

I didn't intend for you to flip out at me and I hope I don't seem like I'm combatting this but I think you could've handled it a TINY bit better, rather than yelling at me.

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"]1. He wasn't '[I]yelling[/I]' at you. Plus, people other than you (myself included) claimed in this thread. Whether it was intentional or a misunderstanding is unknown, but Boo's just letting you know that the rules stand and always have.

2. Going two pieces right after you just finished one is kinda hogging; especially when there are obviously other artists wanting a spot. And then only wanting to claim because it's a specific person is kinda damaging on the conscious of the other artists. It might make them think you believe their work isn't '[I]good[/I]' enough to follow.

3. If you want to work with jiggly so much, do a collaboration piece [B][I]somewhere else[/I][/B]. This project is to work with everyone, not just one person in particular. It's kinda nice to have a surprise project, not something planned out. (And if you think I'm being harsh, I think other people would say the same thing as me.)

4. Excuse me. I don't use photoshop, so you claiming that replicating the edges is easy with 'custom shapes' is an overstatement. Remember not everyone has the capabilities you might have.

5. Don't argue about what format is used. They want [B]JPEG [/B]because its easier to work with. We all know [B]PNG[/B] is a better resolution; doesn't mean we're gunna use it.

6. I'm not yelling at you, I'm just trying to keep this from getting worse.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Okay, I get it. My apologies all over the place for not reading the rules. I just missed the last worm and I wanted to get in on a lot of this one. About how many pieces should I wait before entering again?

Again, didn't mean to start any drama or fights.

[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"]A good number I'd say is like 3 or 4 pieces.

Unless the worm gets slow and no one posts for a week.. Then maybe it wouldn't matter. That happened to me last worm when I posted and then almost a month later only one person had gone after me so I claimed again to try and keep the worm alive.

Otherwise 3-4. Or maybe just wait to make sure other people aren't going to claim because as far as I can tell, there are other people wanting in.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][I][QUOTE]They easily could've been replicated. I didn't use any brushes in that so they could've just been continued with custom shapes. I've received a lot worse things on other forums and I don't complain. A worm should make you work on blending between 2 pieces of art, not take a shortcut[/QUOTE]
[/I]
Okay, now I KNOW that I'm not very good with graphics yet, but I'd like to point out something. . .that so called 'easy to work off piece' looks like it'd be bloody hard, even to someone like me, who has CS3.
One more thing; no one is trying to do a short-cut, but if they were, oh well. That's what people do, and if it doesn't mess anything up then it's alll OK. ^__^

It seems that Kimmeh has kindly brought up pretty much all the points that I had.
As Kimmeh said, if you really want to work with Jigglyness just do a collaboration. Either that or wait a bit then claim a spot right after she does one. It's not very nice to claim a spot after only one person has gone.

[I][QUOTE]I didn't intend for you to flip out at me and I hope I don't seem like I'm combatting this but I think you could've handled it a TINY bit better, rather than yelling at me.[/QUOTE][/I]

*::*[I]looks around[/I]*::*
Eh? I don't see anyone yelling. Now what I [B]do[/B] see is someone trying to point out the rules. I'm sure Boo didn't intend you to flip out at him. I think you could have handled this a [B]tiny[/B] bit better, rather then throwing a fit. ^___^

EDIT:
And I realize this has been resolved, but I couldn't help putting my two cents worth in. =P[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial]Also [COLOR="DarkRed"]Boo[/COLOR]'s the guy in charge of this here forum. It'd be a better idea to say 'yeah okay' if you feel you need to say something than it is to try and justify yourself. All justification attempts do is waste his patience and everyone else's time.

I mean, we try to give people the benefit of the doubt anyway. No real need to give a play by play.[/FONT]

[size=1]wow. I feel really stupid. I automatically thought this wasn't the discussion thread and claimed without even reading the title =.=. yeah I feel dumb as hell right now. So sorry about the claiming.
[quote=Kimmeh]
A good number I'd say is like 3 or 4 pieces.

Unless the worm gets slow and no one posts for a week.. Then maybe it wouldn't matter. That happened to me last worm when I posted and then almost a month later only one person had gone after me so I claimed again to try and keep the worm alive.

Otherwise 3-4. Or maybe just wait to make sure other people aren't going to claim because as far as I can tell, there are other people wanting in.[/quote]
I think you and I were probably the most active in the past couple of worms. I feel a little bad but yeah. I only did so many because no one else will. Hopefully it won't be like that again.

Anyways. I will visit the ACTUAL thread and claim there. :][/size]

[size=1]Well at least we're putting the Discussion Thread to good use.

And the 3-4 pieces wait thing is fine, unless there's some kind of good reason to go sooner. My only two pieces are just seperated by one piece because no one was looking forward to continuing on from SaiyanPrincessX's piece, for example. And like said, jigglyness and Kimmeh both went pretty often towards the end of the Worm, when things go a lot slower and sometimes it takes about a week for someone to claim or take a spot.

So, its kind of upto your own judgement really, and I am really glad you are so excited about the Graphic Worm. We try to keep the Graphic Worm as Everybody-Friendly as possible, so thats why we would allow everyone a chance to do a piece, even those who are rather new at handling programs such as PhotoShop.

Now let's all have fun again. *confetti*[/size]

*read previous posts...*

Wow... some misunderstandings, huh? Well, glad it got resolved...

Well, putting the discussion thread in use, since my art's flow with Shishou's seemed a bit off, I fixed it up... But I need a little suggestion... Which seems better, (a) no line or (b) with line...

here are the thumbnails...
[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/j_mauru/graphicworm/?action=view¤t=kaminakio.jpg][IMG]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/j_mauru/graphicworm/th_kaminakio.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/j_mauru/graphicworm/?action=view¤t=kaminakio2.jpg][IMG]http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/j_mauru/graphicworm/th_kaminakio2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'm going for the "no line" concept in the official worm thread for now... Thanks.

[quote name='Citric']I hope nothing major changed from the one you posted in the actual thread since I already completed my piece... but regardless, I think it looks better without the line.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input.

Yes, nothing changed from the right side. Don't worry. ^_~

It's just that my transition from Shishou's piece got a bit - uh - not too well done. At least I got an idea on how to do it. Well, I guess I'm sticking with the no-line concept then.

I usually copy the piece before mine, paste it on my canvas and only have the edge of the previous stick out so I can make a proper transition... will help anyone if they're thinking they didn't transition right. o_O I saw that jomz had posted his little blurb from Boo about transitioning pieces and I figured I'd throw how I do it in. o_O

[SIZE="1"]Agreed; I'm sometimes curious about the artists, and it's also good to give credit where credit's due if the art is more personal, rather than straight out of the anime/manga. There has been some really nice stock used so far, it would be nice to know where it came from.

Maybe specify details that can be given when posting your final image? Or perhaps Boo can keep a catalogue, of sorts, in the main thread next to people's submissions?[/SIZE]

[size=1]I guess. Unless, like Ezekiel said, I just put the titles on the list of participants in the main thread to save you the trouble. :< I would have no clue about any anime or manga though, apart from some huge ones perhaps, so help would not only be welcome, but also quite necessary when it comes to adding them to the list.[/size]

[SIZE="1"]I HAD A GOOD IDEA? :O

Even if someone doesn't know WHAT their stock is, they're going to know where they got it from. Posting a link to the site, letting people know what keywords they used, etc., should be decent enough. I know sometimes you probably just have a nice looking image lying around, and that can't be helped. I'm sure someone would find something about it...at some point.

BOO I WILL HELP YOU IN WHATEVER WAY I CAN. <333[/SIZE]