OtakuBoards

Post Counts Return, eh?

Mykul

[font=franklin gothic medium]You'd be surprised how close some other people got to me... if a couple of the really long-timers hadn't disappeared, I have a feeling someone could have reached the magical 10K mark by now.

(By the way, 10K was the highest point under our previous system - that earned you a "special" title).

In any case, I do welcome all the feedback. Thanks guys.

If we can find a more elegant way to display this info we will do it. Unfortunately our postbits right now are pretty full, due to theOtaku link (which I still want to keep anyway).

Plus, if you look at mine... it's a bit less cluttered because I'm only using one title. Having two titles on the system does clutter things up quite a bit.

Having said that, we are also preparing a new site and that will have a different postbit layout anyway. So hopefully we can hold on until then.

But yeah, in the meantime I'm happy for Petie to look into display options so we can refine this a little bit. :catgirl:

Regarding new titles.. I'm working with Adam on that now. I asked him for suggestions and we will work on that together.[/font]

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[COLOR=Blue]Okay, you now have options. Click on [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/profile.php?do=editoptions"]Edit Options[/URL] on the left, scroll to the bottom, and under Miscellaneous Options, you'll see a new setting labeled "Display Post Count."

The setting is pretty self-explanatory but I'll go ahead and add one small detail here. The default value is yes which is why you should still see everyone with post count display enabled. Simply set that to no and click on Save Changes to remove your post count from the postbit.

If anyone has any issues or suggestions to further improve this, just let me know but I figure this should at least be a good compromise for now.[/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]This makes me wonder, when we go in and add/change the titles, should we announce the requirements?

Or should we just let people discover them?

A compromise could be that we list them (except for the last couple), but we don't say what the post requirement is.

[/font]

OK, let me see...

First off, I'm not much on a poster here yet, being an OB Noob (though I have been in TheOtaku for quite some time and know some of you guys in here...). I hope to do better in the future.

I am excited about the new rank names. I just hope it does not involve any plus sign or any other sign attached to the rank name. *is strangled by bossman*

Ehem... anyway, I have no problem on the post count giving ranks. It's much more fun that way... though, some folks may go overboard on the posting little bits in almost every thread to up their count...

I also like the idea of quality over quantity, but it would be very hard to promote members on that basis - being subjective and all that.

I don't think I'll be displaying my postcounts, though - seeing it's a very tiny number... XD

And while I'm already here: LOL on "No Life" and "Living Here" rank names...

[quote name='chibi-master'] And I can't wait to become a Senior Member someday! How many posts are required for that anyway?:confused:[/QUOTE]
Heh, being a senior member... That's pretty obvious if you look at the old peoples profile. I think that's a little obvious that it has nothing to do with post count. But then again, I could be mistaken. Edit: Take that back.. Thought I saw a member whose been here since 01-02 but has a post count of 100-200....

As for this post count stuff... It never bothered me. Whether post counts were displayed or not, I probably would've ended up with the same result of reaching the 900+ mark (soon to be 1000) within 2 to 3 years. I don't post like everyone else. (Especially with all the fanfics and role-playing. I'm not creative with words.)

[quote name='Magus']Heh, being a senior member... That's pretty obvious if you look at the old peoples profile. I think that's a little obvious that it has nothing to do with post count. But then again, I could be mistaken. [/QUOTE]

I know at least one "senior member" on the boards that hasn't been around as long as I have. So who knows? Maybe they ask for it? Maybe it's a combo of time and posts?

[quote name='Sangome][SIZE="1"']W-Wait. ohgodwhatifsomeonehaxx0rsmeandchangesittosomethingdumblikehahaha[/SIZE][/quote]Uh, you do know that Des CAN do that right? o_O That's like begging him to prank you right there. And no I am not giving Des ideas on how to prank other people in some futile attempt to protect myself. >_>

Anyway, I'm happy with the option to turn mine off so thanks again for that.

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]This makes me wonder, when we go in and add/change the titles, should we announce the requirements?[/font][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Well, let all the moderators who will never have some of the ranks, see the titles! And then the members who have high post counts can go to them to ask what titles they have missed already just by having a post count before the title update. :3

The rest of the members will just have to venture on their own. Hu. Huhu.[/size]

[COLOR="Sienna"][FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']A compromise could be that we list them (except for the last couple), but we don't say what the post requirement is.[/font][/quote]I vote for doing it this way. Though with a few people around here already having hefty post counts, it just might let the cat out of the bag since people will be able to see it.

Also you could give Raiha a custom title of [B]Queen of Death[/B] to throw the others off and therefore keep the 8,000+ threshold a secret. :D[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='chibi-master']Personally, I like the post counts! What's the big deal anyway, they're optional, after all. And I can't wait to become a Senior Member someday! How many posts are required for that anyway?:confused:[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]
Chibi Master, I think I know the number. *points to Attachment*
[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Petie'][COLOR=Blue]Okay, you now have options. Click on [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/profile.php?do=editoptions"]Edit Options[/URL] on the left, scroll to the bottom, and under Miscellaneous Options, you'll see a new setting labeled "Display Post Count."

The setting is pretty self-explanatory but I'll go ahead and add one small detail here. The default value is yes which is why you should still see everyone with post count display enabled. Simply set that to no and click on Save Changes to remove your post count from the postbit.

If anyone has any issues or suggestions to further improve this, just let me know but I figure this should at least be a good compromise for now.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[color=#9933cc]Thank you!!! I was really not looking forward to writing out a whole post about why I dislike post counts and can you make displaying them optional and blah blah blah.

So, thank you very much. *hugs* ^_^[/color]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="Sienna"][FONT="Tahoma"]

Also you could give Raiha a custom title of [B]Queen of Death[/B] to throw the others off and therefore keep the 8,000+ threshold a secret. :D[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]You know...that totally would work, if someone hadn't already written a darn poem about it. ;p

But seriously folks, it's not undeserved if your posts aren't in fact spam and actually useful or perhaps relevant to discussions. If you want to think so though, you can. People will just think you're whining.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Uh, you do know that Des CAN do that right? o_O That's like begging him to prank you right there. And no I am not giving Des ideas on how to prank other people in some futile attempt to protect myself. >_>[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]stgo, lover boy. *plays Love Shack on the highest volume*

Anyway, what exactly will these custom titles be? Can you say? In any case, I'll keep my post count...most forums have the post count on people's profiles as they post, anyway.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I'm not being very observant. XD I didn't really notice this at first. Since the issue of having the option to toggle it off has been addressed, I don't see anything wrong with it. Not that displaying it is bad, but that by having the option to choose, everyone can set it according to what they prefer. [quote name='jomz']I am excited about the new rank names. I just hope it does not involve any plus sign or any other sign attached to the rank name. [/quote]New title names sound like fun. I agree with jomz on the + symbol not being used. TheOtaku's system is based on other factors so it's a little different. But since this is clearly based on post count, it would make sense to have unique titles for each threshold. [/FONT]

[quote name='chibi-master']GWAH!!!:o I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE!!! Mark my words, I will attain the "Senior Member" title!!!:smirk:[/QUOTE]

Wow... you'll be making that number of posts stated by Korey? XD Good luck! You'll need it!

[quote name='chibi-master']GWAH!!!:o I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE!!! Mark my words, I will attain the "Senior Member" title!!!:smirk:[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]Good luck, since not even James has reached that mark. I will say this though. For your one year or so being on OB, you've almost already past my post count. So it's one of two things.

1)You post more
2) I lurk more

I think it's the latter rather than the former. I do visit every day, but most of my visits pertain to checking on my section and various other things, mod-y sort of stuff.[/COLOR][/FONT]

I am actually excited to see the post counts return. Not that they really matter, but it is nice to bring some laid back personality back to the forums. Of course, quality over quantity is a given.

I've only been a member here since 2001 and my post count is not necessarily high. No big. However, it feels nice to have some type of challenge to want to be here more. If there is something that makes posting fun again, I will try to be here as much as I can. If that is the case, I will try to post as much as possible. Who knows, I might get to 2000 posts within the next two years.

Interesting feature. If anything it made me more aware of my own post count. I'm kind of indifferent to the idea, neither for nor against, if that even makes sense. I do think it's nice how you took the time to give people an option though. And I am curious about what the titles are, if only to see what they are.