OtakuBoards

Has a game ever made you cry?

Udon

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[SIZE="1"]I've actually cried in various games that I've played. One being Final Fantasy VII. Yes, it's been said but everyone cries over the same part. It's sad, I was attached to the character somewhat but oh well. Gameplay goes on.

Another which made me cry for probably an hour straight was Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core.The ending to the game was so tear jerking. At the time when I finished it, I was in the hospital visiting my grandfather. My face was soaking wet, eyes bloodshot, and I had to have had the ugliest expression ever at that moment. And I refused to play it a second time simply because I don't want to watch it happen all over again.

I've cried over a few others but, none I can recall right now.[/SIZE]

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
[color=darkred][size=1]I cried when [spoiler]Aeris died. (Is this really a spoiler now? Oy. I don't know, just to be safe.) Not because it was a heartbreaking moment or anything; do you know how much time and money I had just spent on her!? And then she leaves the strongest materia in the game at the bottom of a lake. Jeez.[/spoiler]

Also, I just started playing "Lost Odyssey", and the first entry in the [i]1,000 Years of Dreams[/i] bit had me tearing up a bit.

--Christopher[/color][/size]

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Can't say that I have actually cried over a game. I have felt moved by a death in a game, but not to the point of tears. Usually, I'm annoyed, especially if it was one of my favorite characters. And sometimes, I'm thinking, good riddance. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Well if a great piece of music is needed at any point in a game, significant character deaths are probably the most important. But yes it can be surprising just how much a good piece can generate an emotional response you didn't expect. I always considered [spoiler]MGS3[/spoiler] to be more of an interactable movie rather than a game due to how involved you felt with the characters.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I agree with you for sure. Metal Gear Solid 3 was an amazing game. The Storyline was unbelievable how they portrayed it all. That ending choked me up. In fact...every MGS game choked me up lol..

[SPOILER] In MGS1, When Meryl was shot,[/SPOILER] that made me tear up. However i was 11 at the time and that was the first game with a true storyline that stuck to me.

In MGS 2, [SPOILER]When Otacons sister died,[/SPOILER] that whole scene made me choke up incredibly. Especially when [SPOILER]the parrot was talking to him after she died...[/SPOILER] so emotional.

That series has an unbelievable storyline that needs to be made into a movie. And not like Escape From L.A. lol jeez.

• 2 weeks later...
I think it is completely wrong for someone to say that it is unfitting for a man to cry. For one it shows you have emotions, and two, in a different way, it shows dedication/ambition. I'll say that, because it's belief, but I will also say no, a Video Game has never mad me cry. I haven't fully played a game through since I was young, and unable to thoroughly follow the story though. If I was ever about to cry I would do my best to hide it, because that is contagious, and I wouldn't be caught dead crying. I'm not one for the tough guy attitude, but I don't see crying helping in any way if there is a problem. Obviously you can't jump in a game and do something about it though.

[quote name='HopscotchEyelid']I think it is completely wrong for someone to say that it is unfitting for a man to cry. For one it shows you have emotions, and two, in a different way, it shows dedication/ambition. I'll say that, because it's belief, but I will also say no, a Video Game has never mad me cry. I haven't fully played a game through since I was young, and unable to thoroughly follow the story though. If I was ever about to cry I would do my best to hide it, because that is contagious, and I wouldn't be caught dead crying. I'm not one for the tough guy attitude, but I don't see crying helping in any way if there is a problem. Obviously you can't jump in a game and do something about it though.[/QUOTE]

[FONT= Franklin Gothic Medium] This post is rather befuddling. On one hand you are critquing a man's emotions, or lack thereof. Yet you contradict yourself by not showing emotion during things that may tug at your heartstrings. It's not really that men don't show emotion because they are being tough. For many, it's having the role of the stable pillar archetype being placed upon them. While not as prevalent today, the typical gender stereotype shows a man showing emotion in different ways than a woman would.

But, I'm a guy who is really intimate about my emotions and while it may seem like men are cold, harsh meanie butts, we still are capable of hurting. We just tend to express it in a different way.[/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium] This post is rather befuddling. On one hand you are critquing a man's emotions, or lack thereof. Yet you contradict yourself by not showing emotion during things that may tug at your heartstrings. It's not really that men don't show emotion because they are being tough. For many, it's having the role of the stable pillar archetype being placed upon them. While not as prevalent today, the typical gender stereotype shows a man showing emotion in different ways than a woman would.

But, I'm a guy who is really intimate about my emotions and while it may seem like men are cold, harsh meanie butts, we still are capable of hurting. We just tend to express it in a different way.[/FONT][/quote]

I know I contradicted myself, I did that on purpose. I would have to be an idiot to do that without realizing it. I guess what I was trying to say is that men who cry are not weak. In a way it shows strength, in the sense that they don't care if people think they are weak. However I am usually quite effected by things I see and hear, but when I think about crying, I think about how I used to be, and it makes me feel as though I haven't grown up at all. From 2003 up until half way through 2004, I would not talk.. at all..literally. At that time I was always crying, and as much as I wanted no one to know, I knew everyone did. In 2004, I was sent to a mental health facility, because I was losing my mind. I even spent my 14th birthday there. On top of that, the pills they put me on destroyed the body I almost had where I wanted..Rapid wieghtgain- 60 pounds in 3 months. They tryed to say I was Schizo-Effective. Now everyone thinks it's Bi-Polar, I gave up trying to convince people there was nothing like that. Those days are over now, and acting like this is my way of moving on and dealing with it.

[quote name='HopscotchEyelid']I know I contradicted myself, I did that on purpose. I would have to be an idiot to do that without realizing it. I guess what I was trying to say is that men who cry are not weak. In a way it shows strength, in the sense that they don't care if people think they are weak. .[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Could have fooled me. I don't contradict myself on purpose, because that's called being "hypocritical".

No one said that men who cry are weak. Certainly there are moments where men have cried or shown emotion. Like I've covered before, it's been a traditional gender stereotype for a man to be the silent, strong type when reacting to emotionally trying events.[/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Could have fooled me. I don't contradict myself on purpose, because that's called being "hypocritical".

No one said that men who cry are weak. Certainly there are moments where men have cried or shown emotion. Like I've covered before, it's been a traditional gender stereotype for a man to be the silent, strong type when reacting to emotionally trying events.[/FONT][/quote]

Actually in an earlier post, in this thread, someone did say that.

No, contradiction and hypocrisy are not the same. I was contradicting myself to prove something. I was trying to show that just because I like to be the strong, silent type, doesn't mean I think crying is weak. Like I said before, I've done it too much, and it gets me nowhere. I like to do things about any problems that would make me cry.I was really responding to the guy that said crying was weak for men.

I have my reasons for holding back any tears, as you might have read in that last post I did.

Something like a death though is different. You can't do anything about that. I haven't cried at a funeral either. I'm almost drawn to tears when I try to figure out why though. It's like I'm automatically adjusting to the emotions around me and becoming a supportive beam. I don't even try to hold back tears, they are just not there. I don't why, I just feel empty when that happens.

Korey, if you respond...after that we should stop before someone thinks we are arguing on the internet like a bunch of 12 year olds. If you don't respond...that was a good debate.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Look, I'm all up for discussion and I don't think that the issue is going out of hand, so...I don't think that people will think that I'm arguing over mundane things. If it does get out of hand, then I can just close the thread. Simple enough. :p[/FONT]
[quote]No, contradiction and hypocrisy are not the same. I was contradicting myself to prove something. I was trying to show that just because I like to be the strong, silent type, doesn't mean I think crying is weak. Like I said before, I've done it too much, and it gets me nowhere. I like to do things about any problems that would make me cry.I was really responding to the guy that said crying was weak for men.[/quote]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I'm fully aware that contradiction and hypocrisy are not the same. Contradictions lead to hypocrisy.

It's nice that you believe that being strong is how to accomplish things, but even those who "cry" during emotional times can accomplish something. Now there's a difference between crying and throwing a fit. The latter accomplishes othing (most times).

However, the person who said "crying is for sissies" was using the oldest of internet forms of language. Sarcasm. They don't really mean it that way and even if they do, it's OK to have a different opinion of men crying or not. Feel free to disagree, but also be open to criticism from the other side of the argument. Don't assume that I didn't understand you, because I certainly did.

But we're kind of de-railing the topic, so let's try to steer back now.

*turns the ship around*[/FONT]

[quote name='HopscotchEyelid']Actually in an earlier post, in this thread, someone did say that.[/QUOTE]
If you're talking about Silpheed's post, you really shouldn't take that seriously. Give or take, a lot of people here just joke about almost every random thing.

[quote name='Magus']If you're talking about Silpheed's post, you really shouldn't take that seriously. Give or take, a lot of people here just joke about almost every random thing.[/quote]
Oh okay, I had no idea. Now that I think about it, that attitude is not common among people who would join an Anime forum and community. In a way this lets everyone know that this is kind of a touchy subject for me. If it wasn't, I would have known that he was joking.

[quote name='Korey'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Look, I'm all up for discussion and I don't think that the issue is going out of hand, so...I don't think that people will think that I'm arguing over mundane things. If it does get out of hand, then I can just close the thread. Simple enough. :p[/FONT]

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]I'm fully aware that contradiction and hypocrisy are not the same. Contradictions lead to hypocrisy.

It's nice that you believe that being strong is how to accomplish things, but even those who "cry" during emotional times can accomplish something. Now there's a difference between crying and throwing a fit. The latter accomplishes othing (most times).

However, the person who said "crying is for sissies" was using the oldest of internet forms of language. Sarcasm. They don't really mean it that way and even if they do, it's OK to have a different opinion of men crying or not. Feel free to disagree, but also be open to criticism from the other side of the argument. Don't assume that I didn't understand you, because I certainly did.

But we're kind of de-railing the topic, so let's try to steer back now.

*turns the ship around*[/FONT][/quote]

Funny story= this whole time I had no idea you were a mod. I wasn't paying attention. You're right though, I was being kind of unaccepting of other opinions.

Sometimes not all opinions can be accepted (this wasn't one of them it was just touchy for me.) An example would be those foolish people who refuse equal chance (be it racism, sexual preference issues, whatever) because their opinion is that they (or there group) is better.

[COLOR="Indigo"]Hopscotch, just letting you know that Double Posts are generally frowned upon unless they're in the [I][U]Anthology[/U][/I]. So if you have anything else to add, use the edit button at the bottom of your posts. So I'm going to go ahead and merge your posts together.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

~Korey[/COLOR]

• 2 months later...
[font=franklin gothic medium]I can't think of a game that actually made me cry, although I've definitely had emotional reactions to games.

Most great games I've played have given me some sort of emotional reaction (usually positive, admittedly).[/font]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]I just dare you to call him a sissy Joe.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][center][IMG]http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/8179/350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg[/IMG][/center][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]All kidding aside I've rarely gotten overly emotional over videogames. The only one that comes to mind is [spoiler]the ending for MGS3 where Big Boss is at Boss's graveside having learned the truth about the whole incident.[/spoiler] Great score at that point did make me choke up a little.[/SIZE][/quote]Whole thing made me choke up as well. Have a good soundtrack and you can go pretty far emotionally. The FFVII thing that got me was the sorrowfull music played through the Boss fight. Don't know about other but that got to me more than the FMV before it.

[quote name='Recaldy']Whole thing made me choke up as well. Have a good soundtrack and you can go pretty far emotionally. The FFVII thing that got me was the sorrowfull music played through the Boss fight. Don't know about other but that got to me more than the FMV before it.[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]This reminds me, actually, I do remember feeling emotional at several points in FFVII. One thing that really sticks out in my mind is the Sector 7 slums.

I remember thinking about all the scenes where you'd see children running around and playing happily, despite living in utter poverty and being treated like second class citizens. When the [spoiler]upper plate was destroyed and killed thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of people[/spoiler], I actually felt a sense of loss about that. The cynical nature of the event (on the part of Shinra) made it even worse.[/font]

I haven't played it but, [b]Metal Gear Solid 4[/b] had me feeling real bad for Snake. (I watched the whole series being played on youtube.)

[spoiler]To see him actually going through that heating thing giving every shred of energy he had to spare. I swear if I hadn't seen the ending before seeing that part I probably would've shed some tears.[/spoiler]

On Final Fantasy VII.

[spoiler]I can understand the sadness portrayed in that one scene. However, did no one go back to the church on a later disc and find that one particular moment heart breaking?[/spoiler]

Also, I own Crisis Core but got a tad bored with the constant and random battle system. Is it worth playing to the end just to see that ending sequence?

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR=Green][SIZE=1]While I have yet to play the game itself, I've played the game it's a remake of, I've watched all the fully-animated cutscenes, and I've spoilered myself silly over the changes.

The video game moment that made me cry the most was [SPOILER]Leon's death[/SPOILER] in Tales of Destiny PS2. His entire character was pretty pathetic in the original, and they really went all-out fixing it for the remake. His [SPOILER]death[/SPOILER] alone was sad enough; the background music they used just made it that much sadder.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=deeppink]If we're just talking about that which is heartbreaking but not tear-inducing, the winner for me is Oblivion.

[spoiler]When Lucien Lachance gave me the order to wipe out the rest of the family during "The Purification," I almost couldn't do it. Everyone in there was so nice, and friendly, and by God it felt like a real family. I was actually emotionally invested in every single character in there, including the rat.

The worst was M'raah-Dar, who finally accepted me as part of the family [i]right before I smashed his head in.[/i] It was awful.[/spoiler][/color]

I actually choked up from a game today, don't know if you call that coincidence or not, but whatever. Anyway to be back on topic, the game that produced said emotions was [b]Lost Odyssey[/b], which I'm so glad I rented today, but anyway, it really brought me down when [spoiler]you enter the first "Dream" sequence I believe, in which it tells about Kaim and the innkeeper's daughter named Hanna. Along with the beautifully renditioned music, some of the adjectives used in the text, and some of the dialouge itself really got to me, and I found myself rather depressed as Kaim went on to tell the bedridden girl her "final adventure story" and then at the end, she dies from her illness.[/spoiler]

Truly heartbreaking.

[quote name='Nerdsy'][COLOR=deeppink]If we're just talking about that which is heartbreaking but not tear-inducing, the winner for me is Oblivion.[/COLOR][/quote]

that game in general is just plain mean, any charicter you meet has a 99% chance of dying if they are in any way part of the storyline.

I was quite sad when you had to tell the Grey Prince [spoiler]He was part vampire, then immidiatly afterwords fight him to the death, taking his title and his life, and if that wasnt bad enough the dark elf on your team who was cheering yoou on now dispises you for killing his mentor.[/spoiler]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Citric']The only video game that's ever made me cry was the Kingdom Hearts ending and I'm sure you all know how that went down.[/quote]

that was sad. and in kingdom hearts 2, i actually felt sad when goofy supposedly died. it surprised me, because i [I]hated[/I] him at first.