OtakuBoards

Scrapworld: The Skycleaner (Mature)

ScreamSin

[color=darkblue]Lucy had made her way from the frigid garage to the common room on the ship. It was here she lowered her goggles around her neck, and placed the soft hat into the pocket of her jacket. She shook out her blueish hair and removed the gloves from her hands before placing her slender hands against her cheeks, trying to warm her face up as fast as possible. It didn't take her long to head towards the cafeteria area, looking for something to eat and or drink. She passed Julian and Maya on the way, giving Maya a slight look. Lucy was disappointed the girl snuck out onto the scavenging trips. Ask anyone, they would agree that it was dangerous out there and the incident today only helped prove that.

As she entered the cafeteria, Lucy moved her gloves from between her body and her arm to one of her back pockets. Lucy grabbed a cup of the first thing she saw, and a bowl of whatever food they had out and headed out across the room. Her amber eyes found one of the many empty tables and Lucy made her quiet way over there. Her pale hand gracefully pulled the chair back as she sat down. With a slight clank, she set the cup and bowl down before sitting in the chair and stirring the soup around with the spoon that she had obtained. She looked down at the soup, wondering if it was even hot still. Lucy rubbed her hands together one last time to summon some warmth before she took the first spoonful of the soup.[/color]

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Book Antiqua]This wasn't good. The catwalk would break at any minute if that support beam wasn't fixed. The engineer looked a bit nervous, and finally he turned to Ishild and Grettel and the rest of the workers that were trying to hold it together.
"Alright, I know this is risky everyone, but it has to be done. We need someone to go down and weld a brace on that support beam." The engineer said, trying to make himself clear, despite his nervousness.
Grettel tried to get the engineer's attention, but Ishild stepped to up to the task quickly.
"I'll go down."
Before anyone else could respond, Ishild started gearing up for the job. She quickly put on her welding mask and grabbed a welding torch and a bag with the metal inside as the other workers got the cables on her.

A few seconds later, and Ishild was dangling on a wire down by the support beam. She put the first sheet of metal onto the brace and tried to get her torch started. However, something flew past her head.
"Hey, watch it!" She yelled out, although it came out a bit muffled under her mask.
"Sorry!" Someone shouted from above.
She continued where she left off, thankful that she didn't drop the sheet when that falling object had surprised her.

A few very tense and nervous minutes later, Ishild was done with the welding job. She was pulled back up and the engineer called her over.
"Good job, Ishild. That should do it for now. I'll have some of the other workers go down and take a look. Right now, you go to the mess and get something to eat."
Ishild nodded, taking off her welding mask and headed to the mess.
When she got there, she was surprised to see Lucy back already, sitting at a table and slowly eating some soup.
"Back so soon? How did the scavenging go, Lucy? Did Zlota do okay?" Ishild asked, looking at the soup hungrily.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Archimedes leaned in, examining Van's busted tubing.
"Strange...Scraps don't have fluids. Van? VAN!"
The large scrap looked down at the old man. Archimedes pointed to the broken piece of tubing that was leaking the fluid.
"Van, when did you put this in?"
"He put this in?"
Archimedes glanced at Duo with a quick smile.
"Yeah, you haven't met Vangelios yet? He tinkers with himself a lot, though I've asked him TO STOP DOING THAT because he sometimes ends up damaging himself!"
The elderly man rummaged through a nearby junk heap and grabbed a rag. Leaning into the metal cloak of Vangelios, the old man wrapped the rag around the tube and tied it tightly, helping to stem the flow of the red liquid. He patted Heat's massive claw, who nodded and pulled away. Even though Vangelios was a massive Scrap, Heat was the largest in the garage, standing over 12 feet tall. Archimedes whacked Vangelios on the leg with the palm of his hand.
"Van, is this tube necessary? What does it connect to?"
The large scrap tilted it's head before speaking, flourishing the massive rod as he struck a pose.
"The line that runs through me is connected to my quest to fully understand my destiny and brings me one step closer to fulfillment!"
"Oh god, not again..."
"What does that mean?"
"It means that he probably doesn't understand what the line connects to either, it was one of his experiments that didn't really work and he doesn't want to admit it..."
The old man glanced at Heat, then walked over with a smile and patted the massive Scrap's leg.
"Hello my friend. Do me a favor, grab me a piece of canvas from the junk piles around here, a big one, and some lengths of cord. We need to make you a backpack for our little trip."
Heat suddenly leaned forward quickly, obviously very excited as he went camera-to-eye with the old man, who didn't even flinch.
"Trip? TRIP! Going somewhere?"
"Yes. You and I-"
"Ahem"
Archimedes sighed.
"And Duo...are going out to look for something. I'll tell you more after you get the canvas OK?"
Heat looked around excitedly, shuffling back and forth before choosing a pile and galloping over to it, causing shelves and stacks of junk to topple over as the garage quaked with his movements.
"HEAT! SLOWLY!"
The massive Scrap tossed junk aside as he looked around, began to run to another pile, but seemed to catch himself halfway over, and slowed his pace to a rapid lumber.
The hissing in Vangelios was heard again, causing Archimedes to look over as Duo was sprayed with the red liquid. She leaned in to Vangelios, shoving her shirt against the leak as Archimedes ran over, helping her grip the leak. Heat moved to help, but the old man stopped him.
"No, we got it. Just find the canvas for me."

Maya was just leaving the mess hall after attempting to make cocoa by mixing different things laying around in the kitchen cabinets. She was skippind around when she heard Archimedes' voice. He was talking about going on a trip! Maya leaped around the corner and jumped at Duo and Archimedes. "A TRIP! OH! I'M COMING, TOO!" Maya squealed.

"You most certainly are NOT!" Archimedes gasped. "It is going to be FAR too darngerous for someone of your age!"

"But Duo's going! And she's really young!" Maya argued.

"I'm a responsible adult. YOU are seven, and genius or not, it's not safe for you!" Duo replied. Duo and Archimedes were having a hard time arguing with an insisting child and holding Duo's shirt up to the spraying oil.

"BUT I WANT TO GO!" Maya whined loudly.

"The answer is NO, child!" Archimedes sighed.

"If you don't let me go, I'm going to sneak after you guys somehow anyway! Wouldn't it then be safer for me to come along with you? Besides, the chances are, according to the records of kids my age, that I will die here in the next 2 years, whether it be from the cold, my scavenging tag-alongs, or from accidents around the Skycleaner itself! I want to go with you guys! Hey, are you getting all of this?" Maya asked.

"You don't even know what we're going for!" said Duo.

"I don't care! I want to come with you guys! LET ME, PLEEEASE?!" Maya begged.

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Duo sputtered alittle as the red liquid ran down from her hair between her eyes.
"Okay, so he tinkers with him self and screws up...so why does he tinker with him self?"
"You know it baffles me as well, but he just seems to enjoy it."
Duo patter Van's leg and smiled as Maya joined her looking at the tube.
"Maybe Kilo can help him get better at it, or even Ishild. You think?"
"Your very kind to them Duo."
"Well yeah, if not for them we would have lost this place a long time ago."
Duo giggled as Heat dropped the giant canvas over Archie's head covering them both.
"Heat, that's very good. Can you please remove it?"
Duo squinted as the lighting changed with Heat whipping the canvas away from them and looking down obviously excited. Maya looked up at her with bright eyes, pleading silently.
"Please?
Duo chose to ignore the girls request smiling.
"I can help adjust it to him, I've been told by Rosa I'm fairly decent with a needle and thread."
"I would be very thankful of that Duo."
She gave him a winning smile and cursed as the pressure behind the leak erupted, grabbing Maya she turned her back as the pressure pushed her back, the tubing thrashing this way and that. She rushed forward and stood infront of Archie as it slung to the left and caught her across the face. grabbing hold of it she grabbed a wire nearby and held the tube down covering it with her now useless shirt and wired it around Van's leg.
"That should hold him til Kilo gets here."
She looked back at Archie who seemed to stunned to speak, Maya looking slightly pale.
"What's up Arch? Maya? You look like I just grew a second head..."
She stopped speaking as something hit her shoulder, putting her hand on her cheek she blinked as it felt wet, pulling her hand back she saw it covered in red.
"Oh man...really?"
She walked over to a piece of piping and looked down, seeing her reflection she saw a large gash where the tubing had caught her.
"Great."
Wiping the blood away with her hand she saw a decent gash but nothing to bad.
"Oh, I'm fine you two, no need for stitches, the bleeding should stop soon and I'll be fine, I might have a light scar but I'll live."
She gave them a wide smile and folded her arms behind her back rocking back and forth on the balls of her feet, she stopped and looked over as Kilo stepped through the door.
"Oh hey, bout' time you made it."
He gave her a worried look seeing her cheek.
"I'm okay. Just help Van, see what you can do for his leg."
She smiled again and leaned on the pipe watching as Heat held up the canvas as if it were a trophy. She looked at Maya as she tugged on her pants.
"You'll have to warm up Arch kiddo, not me...I think it's to dangerous, but you could be useful with how well your mind retains information...just my opinion."
She looked down sheepishly as Archie glared at her.
"Just saying."[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=darkblue]Lucy read Ishild's hungry looks towards the bowl of soup, but didn't speak of that first, instead the things Ishild were wondering about seemed to be a more pressing matter. After taking another spoonful of soup and laying the spoon back in the bowl, Lucy took her amber eyes from the liquid to the blonde haired girl in front of her. She paused for a moment, almost as if she was trying to make it more drawn out, but that was just Lucy's style.

"Scavenging was good. Zlota was good." Lucy mentioned in her near monotone voice, swirling the spoon around in the soup a bit before continuing. "Maya sneaks out onto the scavenging trips, you know?" It seemed almost like a statement rather than a question, but the change in tone on the last word made it apparent.

All while talking Lucy kept her naturally cold gaze on Ishild. It wasn't a sign of being unfriendly, but Lucy always had a somewhat cold look when it came to her eyes, it was something this winter had crafted over the years.

But, before Ishild could answer Lucy's question, she had picked up the spoon, turning the handle towards Ishild, obviously offering a little bit of the soup to her.[/color]

Rose had miandered around, exploring the confines of the Sky cleaner.

Soon enough, she came upon the commotion in the Garage. "Do you have this under control?"

Everyone turned to look at her, Duo wiping blood from herself.

"Yes, we're all well enough, Thanks, though." Duo continued to hold a rag onto her bleeding wound.

"Please, allow me to help." Rose reached up, and held the rag in place. On observing it, she sighed, and smiled. "Miss Duo, I think you are down one less peice in your wardrobe."

"Yeah yeah.... not like I don't have enough."

Rose smiled wider. "Of course." Rose held the pressure on the red stained shirt, and soon enough let go of it, allowing it to fall to the floor.

"And your verdict is?" Duo looked to Rose expectantly, her eyebrow raised.

"You'll be fine. Nothing to worry about. However, I would rather you take it easy for a few hours. I would much like you to make sure you don't have a concussion, even if the wound is only on your cheek."

Duo rolled her eyes. "Yeah yeah, I'm fine, Rose. Thanks for your concern, But I tghink you're adept enough to realize humans are stubborn creatures."

"Right you are, Miss Duo. Now, when is the voyage leaving?"

Archie looked at Rose, rather surprised she had been so blunt.

"I don't know, Rose. But, I promise you can go with us. Just be careful when we do, alright? You weren't built for the conditions and hazards we're gonna face."

Rose bowed her head. "I thank you for your utmost kinfdly concern, Mister Archie, but I'll be fine."

Archimedes shook his head, then turned to Heat.
"Started off as you and me searching quietly for the damn thing, now we're getting our own personal army!"
"You know, an army could always use a strategist..."
"I'M NOT TAKING YOU MAYA!"
"WHY!? YOU KNOW I'LL PROBABLY JUST SNEAK OUT WITH YOU ANYWAY! And the risks of me dying here are probably higher then out in the Wastes, as I said with accidents and me disobeying everyone anyway, and besides, you said I could be useful! Are you getting all this?!"
The old man pointed a finger at Duo.
"SHE said you could be useful! I didn't even want HER to come with me, nothing personal Duo, I didn't want [I]anyone[/I] to come with me!"
"Go with you where?"
Archimedes looked up as Kilo walked, setting a toolbox down. The old man threw up his arms.
"Oh for the love of God!"
Heat hopped slightly, clinking his claws together. He pointed at Duo and Rose.
"Coming?"
"Yes, they're coming!"
"Maya too?"
"Yes she can...wait, what?"
Heat picked Maya up gently in one claw, holding her close to his camera eye.
"Maya comes too!"
"No! I'm not taking a child with us!"
"Maya smarter then most!"
Archimedes sputtered for a moment before resigning himself to defeat. He was never really good at arguing with people. Heat set Maya down gently, then pointed a claw at Kilo.
"Coming?"
"I don't even know where you guys are going!"
"ARCHIMEDES!"
Everyone went silent as Lyle walked into the garage. He strode over to the old man, angrily stomping his foot down.
"I thought this was just going to be you!"
"I didn't tell them, they overheard our discussion and apparently listening to me is out of the question!"
Lyle whipped around.
"None of you are going with him!"
The chorus of yells was enough to make the engineer take a step back. Archimedes rubbed his eyes.
"Much as I hate to admit it...you can't prevent them from leaving anymore then I can Lyle..."
"But...but one of our best doctors? A child? One of our search and rescue!?"
Kilo held up a hand.
"Would someone PLEASE tell me what's going on?"
Lyle threw up his hands, then slammed one onto Vangelio's leg.
"Well, why don't you just take ALL OUR Scraps! How about Vangelios here? Leave us nothing!"
"I'd be delighted to accompany you all on this grand quest!"
"DAMMIT I WAS BEING SARCASTIC!"
At this point, people were starting to gather at all the commotion and yelling going on, mumbling with one another over what may be going on.
----------------------------
In the cafeteria, people were running by the doorway towards the garage. Those eating lunch began to get up to see the commotion. Johnathon, who had been cleaning the tables next to Lucy and Ishild, grabbed someone's arm as they passed by.
"Hey, what's going on?"
"Archimedes is leaving the Skycleaner! He's gonna search for the Key!"
At this rather loud proclamation, almost the entire mess hall emptied out towards the garage. Ishild raised an eyebrow to Lucy, and both got up quickly and joined the movement, being pushed along by the moving bodies.
----------------------------
Inside the garage, almost the entire Skycleaner had gathered, listening to the yelling argument between Archimedes, Duo, Maya, and Lyle.
"YOU SAID YOU WOULD GO ALONE WITH HEAT!"
"AND I WANTED TO, BUT I DON'T CONTROL THE CHOICES OF OTHERS!"
"What about the Skycleaner?! We're already short on people almost all the time! Now one of our doctors? Our search and rescue leader? TWO SCRAPS?!"
At this, Duo joined the fray.
"Three if you count Rose here! And besides, most of you think Heat's a waste of space anyway, how many of you have told me how you wanted him gone?!"
"A CHILD?! You'll willingly put Maya in danger out there in the Wastes?!"
"HEY! I'm smarter then half of the people in here, and I've gone out on enough Scavenges that I'm more capable then most as well!"
Rose held up a hand.
"If I may - "
"AND WHO THE HELL IS SHE?!"
Archimedes had fallen silent for awhile, his face steadily turning red in anger as others joined the argument, taking sides. He picked up his brass pipe in both hands, walked over to Heat, and patted his leg. The Scrap nodded and shifted slightly. Archimedes swung his pipe against the metal shin of Heat, causing an ear deafening gong to ring out. Above all the voices came Archimedes, yelling in a booming voice that didn't match his appearance at all.
"[SIZE="4"]SILEEEEENCE![/SIZE]"
The entire garage went quiet as the old man's voice echoed throughout the halls. He stared around in fury at the group.
"ALL OF YOU WILL BE QUIET NOW!"
This side of Archimedes had never been seen, the man was usually unnervingly patient and soft spoken. The old man rounded on Lyle.
"I understand what you're saying Lyle, I do! But you have no control over us if we so choose to leave! With us gone, there'll be more supplies to go around, we'll take a bare minimum of supplies with us! NOW!"
The old man turned to the crowd, his face now calm and regular.
"Anyone who WANTS to come with me, you may! It seems I will lose any argument against the matter, so if you desire to accompany us to find the Key, then speak now, because I have no intention of remaining here so long as it causes this amount of stress amongst you! But you must know! This is dangerous and there?s no assurance that we will succeed! There is a high chance that you will die out there! Anyone willing to join, go get ready, pack your things, and meet here at the garage in an hour to move out!?
With that, the old man gave a huff and pushed his way out of the crowd, heading towards his room. Heat?s camera eye circled to the crowd. He pointed in confusion at them, and then looked at Duo.
"....coming?"
------
((Figured it's time to get this party started.))

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Duo shrugged, and plucked Maya up in her arms.
"You know Heat, I really have no idea."
She handed Maya over to Ishild, knowing the child was in for a scorning. She walked back over to Van and patted his leg giving him a small and than did the same to Heat.
"You two take it easy til we get back got that?"
Heat nodded clumsily making Duo smile, she began to walk out when she looked up startled when some one grabbed her arm.
"Duo, are you really going?"
She looked up into Kilo's worried eyes.
"Yeah, if they get hurt out there, they're gonna need some one to patch them up."
She looked at Lyle with a stern look.
"It's not like other people have much faith in man kind anymore."
He let go of her arm and she walked the room she shared with three other people and started packing her things, she didn't take much, her own doctor supplies and a couple change of clothes. Grabbing her heavy jacket she walked out and back down to the garage just as Kilo finished up Van's leg.
"Hey, he looks great, thanks alot Kilo."
He looked back giving her a nod, she set her stuff down and sat down on a pile of junk looking around.
"You guys gonna be okay?"
She looked up at him and smiled.
"We'll be fine Kilo...I'll miss you though."
He gave her a shocked look as her cheeks flushed a little.
"Your my best friend."
He nodded and gave her a wave as he left.
"Good luck."
"Thanks."
She watching him go and heaved a sigh, Heat looked at her putting his camera eye right in her face making her jump.
"He come?"
"I don't think so big guy. I wish he were though."
"You like?"
She laughed out loud hearing this and put her elbow on her leg and her chin in her hand.
"You know, I guess I kinda do Heat. Yeah I like him."
Heat nodded and leaned back away from her waiting for Archie to return.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Maya was in the room shoving a few things into a sack she had fitted into a backpack for scavenging. "Maya, what do you think you're doing?! You can't go with them, it's too dangerous!" Ishild gasped.

"But Ishi! I want to go! I want to help! I don't want to stay here and die here! I can't do anything here! Everyone's always telling me how dangerous things are, but I want to DO something! And you know what, Ishi? I think you do, too! I think you're tired of waking up everyday to do a thankless job and live a boring life! I think you want to do something that will make you happy! You don't have to take this opportunity, Ishi, but I will. I'm going to help them. Bye, Ishi. I'll see you there, if you decide to come. I love you!" Maya said cheerfully, hugging Ishild and scurrying out of the room to meet up with Archimedes.

[SIZE="1"]Grettel had quietly found her way up to the garage after the catwalk had been fixed, nodding slightly to some personal thought. As she slipped in, the Scrap was startled to see the large crowd that had converged on the old man Archimedes and Heat, who was now looking quite puzzled and pointing at several people.

They were all yelling to be heard, each wanting to voice their opinion on....whatever it was that they were arguing about. As she watched, Lyle argued and pointed accusingly at the old man, waving a hand at the crowd. Despite her keen hearing, Grettel could not hear his words, or make out any particular words that the humans and Scraps were saying. All at once, Archimedes banged on Heat's leg and yelled above the tumult in a voice that made her wince.

As he spoke, her optics widened considerably. The key to the Skycleaner? She'd heard about it, but most of the humans who talked about it sounded bleak, as if the story were merely an illusion of salvation that had been fabricated to keep them working and living.
Grettel watched as the old man huffed and pushed his way out of the crowd after making his declarative statement. She thoughtfully eyed him before leaning against a girder. If the humans were going out to search for this key, maybe she should go too? It seemed like certain death, this venture. In the Wastes there was nothing, and it was even hard for a Scrap to survive out there let alone a human.....but still, what other option did she have? Stay and slowly break down as the humans died out from starvation and disease? Or perhaps lend her skills to the group, maybe even finding this key in the end and bringing it back.

Grettel nodded finally, a satisfied air about her as she looked around once, her long arms folding across her chassis as she began to wait.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Vangelios stood motionless with Duo and heat locked in his gaze looking at them almost obsessively. Duo was shyly confessing fondness for another person, though Vangelios was still in too much of an upset state after what happened he couldn?t focus on whom they were speaking of. It was then that Vangelios remembered Heat expressing him liking humans as well, and watching these two mention their affections rouse a subconscious feeling of jealously that stirred in Vangelios? mind. He didn?t have any real comfortable connections with human, and was frustrated by his dependency on them. Though he knew that he could be a great asset in scavenging for the key, though he always found his role to be like a mobile sack to carry things, as long as he could do that he had a purpose.

Another scrap intruded in on the scene, and Vangelios recognized it as Grettle. Vangelios never truly had prolonged interaction with her but he had seen her enough so that he could easily identify her. Apparently she was to accompany the scraps on the expedition. Vangleios looked upon the group and their high spirits even after the bitter scenario that preceded it.

He waddled over to the group, ?We have flung ourselves in the web of fate, it will be a great struggle to untangle ourselves and move freely.? Vangelios caught the immediate attention of the group, though before they could respond Vangelios continued his sermon. ?The expressions that the humans displayed, are of doubt, selfishness, fear, and fighting for hope,? only his prolonged interactions with humans allowed him to make this guess. ?The ire that was expressed earlier dwarfed my attempts to inspire some optimism, and I ask of you all,? Vangelios paused, ?what has all of you in such high spirits.?

He turned to Heat, ?You heard that they have considered disposing of you, and Duo this mission could be disastrous to yourself making that fellow you spoke of forever ignorant of your fondness.? Vangelios took himself back and dwelled on what he had just said. Perhaps this was not the right words for the moment. The group seemed to seep out of their elation once he addressed them.[/COLOR]

Heat tilted his head, obviously not really understand a majority of what Van had said. The huge Scrap glanced at Duo, then picked up the canvas he had gathered and the bundles of wire.
"...confused."
Duo blinked.
"He wants to know why we're so happy when everything is so bleak."
Heat tapped his claws together for a moment, then spread the canvas out.
"Heat is happy because Heat is helping! Archie keeps Heat working, Heat likes Archie."
The Scrap began to fold the canvas into a bag of sorts, using his sickle claws to poke holes that he would thread the wire through.
"Some here not like Heat. Say Heat is junk pile. But Heat wants to help! So, Heat will help!"

Rose stood by, watching eagerly. She began to help Heat, though she wasn't really sure what was going on.

Julian walked in, and he looked around at all of the hustle and bustle. People were red in the face, and Rose could tell he knew something was up.

"Hey, Rose? What just happened?"

"There is a search party being gathered officially to find the Key to activate the Skycleaner. I had assumed you had already been told..."

Julian sat in a corner. "I'll go."

Heat swiveled his eye. "HEAT HAPPY JULIAN COME. HEAT NOT LONELY ON TRIP."

Julian smiled. "You make it sound like a vacation..."

Rose stopped what she was doing, snd cocked her head. "If you wish, you can think of it that way. I think tempers will fly off the handle a lot less with less people here."

"And you're probably right, Rose. Tell me, why would you go looking for the sun?"

Rose looked down at her feet. "I... remember how happy people were. If it will allow humanity to be happy again, then I will be happy too."

[color=darkblue]Maya ran out of the room leaving Lucy and Ishild standing in silence. It took sometime time for what had just happen to set in, but finally Ishild spoke to Lucy.

"We can't just let her run off. Even if there're going to be others, ya know?"

Lucy fiddled with the sheets to her bed, if you could even call them sheets. Her dark eyes eventually traveled back up to Ishild who stood there silently, almost expecting an answer.

"Yeah.." Was all that escaped the dark haired girl's mouth as her eyes traveled down towards the floor almost like she was ashamed.

"I've decided! I'm going too." Ishild suddenly exclaimed.

Lucy looked over Ishild once again wondering if she was being totally honest. It was quite apparent when she started packing that the girl was serious about going. Then rather obtrusively Lucy announced.

"I'm coming too then." To which she immediately grabbed one of her bags and started packing. She didn't want to be left alone again on this Skycleaner. It was unbearable the first time, and she didn't want to experience it a second time. So, with a look of determination on her face Lucy packed her bag.

Once the two were done packing, they headed from the room hoping Archimedes wouldn't mind two more on the trip. And so they headed down the hallway, following after Maya who soon disappeared around one of the corners.[/color]

Julian sat back, leaning against the wall, watching Heat and Rose fidget with things, getting ready to leave.

Jullian couldn't beleive how old Rose was, being that she remembered the sun.

"So Rose, do you know anything about the key?"

"No, I'm afraid I don't. I know that it's an object much coveted.... though rather it is thought as a forelorn hope more than anything."

"Whoever programmed you must have been righ... you speak like you're from high class society."

"My previous owner did spend quite a sum to have me made, though I'm not sure exactly how much, nor is it my concern. My concern at the moment is this trip we're about to undergo. The conditions outside are not at all hospitable, the humans going on this trip might not be so fortunate... mortality is indeed rearing it's ugly head. And that goes for you too, mister Jullian."

"We humans know full well what we're about to face outside. I wonder if YOU are going to be able to handle it."

"I will be fine. I'm a scrap, remember? I don't feel tempature extremes like you humans."

"Must be nice, not to be human, at least out in the cold."

Rose stopped what she was doing. "It's not much of an advantage. While I might be immune to the cold, you humans aren't. The last time...." Rose looked distant, as if her memories were playing out inside her head. "The last time I was out in the cold, I had left with a group of humans. If memory serves me correctly, then there were twenty-five of them altogether." Rose stopped speaking.

"And? What happened?"

"Only three of them made it here."

Julian was taken aback. "Out of twenty-five? Good god...."

"The weather is a cruel mistress.." Rose finished.

[color=darkred] OOC: Sorry military has me busy but knuckle's girl is going to keep me in when i can't post.

IC:
Graham watched as they were gearing up and Arhie walked by. He set a hand on his shoulder. "I know you wish you could go. And i know you dont want anything to happen to Duo but you know why you have to stay back." He hung his head. "Yeah in case ya'll need me to save you or anybody else"

"Yeah because the scraps really don't work that well witht he cold freezing their gears up and stuff and your the strongest here besides the scraps...." He cut Archie off. "...Just take care of her please and tell her..." He stop and hung his head. "Nevermind" Archie smiled "I know you love her tell her yourself" Grahma shook his head. "I caN'T!" He slammed his fist into the metal wall causing a massive dent and everyone nearby to look at him and stare considering this was new of him. He felt himself getting flustered as Archie dragged him off to a seperate room. "Hey Graham"

"Yeah" He watched the blood dripped from his hand, completely involed with the way each drop that hit the floor reminded him of how Due how doctored him up over the years. "Say it" He lifted his head to meet Archie's eyes. "Say what?"

Archie just smiled. "Say how you feel about Due say you love her since its true"

Graham sighed. "I love her I honestly do and just about everyone knows it but i just dont want her to get hurt if anything happens to me."

Archie just chuckled. "Graham I know your not invincible but with everything that has happened to you that should have killed you, you surivied on your own why to watch over Duo"

Graham sighed again. "i love her man. You need to get going" He followed Archie out then noticed Duo standing next to the dent he made with his blood on her fingertips and tapping her foot, her long braid slightly swaying back and forth. "I am in trouble arent'I" [/color]

Archimedes stared at the large footlocker, the only thing he had kept from his years as a field medic in the military. As he gently folded his clothes into the backpack, he glanced at it again. There was no avoiding it. Walking over, he unclipped the lid and opened the large metal trunk. He stared at the contents for a moment before hastily shoving them into the backpack, burying them under his clothing.
“Let’s hope I never need it…”
“Archie.”
The old man flinched and turned quickly as Rosa’s voice reached him.
“Oh, Rosa…you startled me.”
“What are you thinking…you’re 77! You shouldn’t be out in the Wastes. And Maya’s going with you too?”
The old man smiled at her, clipping the pack shut and slinging it over his shoulder. He grabbed his brass pipe zipped up his deep red parka, pulling his fur hat down low to the brow.
“I have to do something. There was a time when you wouldn’t have doubted my ability.”
“That was when you were young, Archimedes! Not now, not in your current state!”
“I have to do this, while I still have the strength to! I am dying here, we all are! How much longer will my luck hold out, how long before I catch a sickness that you can’t cure? Before I die in my sleep, before my body just gives up!”
The doctor was silent at these words. Archimedes walked over and hugged her tightly.
“Rosa, you’ve been a great friend to me, you understand me better then anyone. You know I have to do this. It’s better for me to try and fail…”
“Then to not try at all…I know…”
The old man smiled, and then pointed to the stacks of books, notes, and various knickknacks he had collected over the years.
“Make sure no one trashes this stuff, I’ll be back for it with the Key.”
Rosa stared up at him quietly, then leaned up and gently kissed the old man’s cheek.
“Don’t die out there! I’ll never forgive you if you do!”
Archimedes smiled, straightened his shoulders, and left the room, leaving the doctor alone to her thoughts.
-------------------------
“HOW MANY OF YOU ARE COMING?!”
Archimedes stared in shock at the large group that had organized. Eight people had organized and were standing ready. Zlota stood next to Maya, who was eagerly hopping up and down with her makeshift pack strapped to her back. Duo, holding a large bag of medical supplies, stood with a hand on her hip. Lucy sat quietly on the outskirts, also holding a large backpack full of her belongings. Ishild stood behind Maya, smiling somewhat nervously. Rose and Julian nodded to Archimedes. Behind the group stood the three older Scraps. Grettel, toying with a huge scarf that was wrapped around her neck; Vangelios stood in a somewhat dramatic pose, looking at Archimedes. And behind them all was Heat, shuffling back and forth like an excited puppy, with a huge makeshift canvas bag strapped to his back.
“We’re going! We’re going!”
Jonathon walked up behind the old man, Dolly shuffling slowly behind him. She still looked sick, but it seemed Duo’s bread idea had gotten her over the worst of it. The young girl walked over to Duo to say goodbye as Jonathon tapped Archimedes on the shoulder.
“We loaded Heat’s bag up there with any spare food we had, along with some sleeping rolls. We didn’t have enough fabric for a tent for you guys though; you’ll need to find some kind of shelter.”
“Don’t worry John. We’ll think of something.”
Dolly hugged Duo around the middle.
“Goodbye Duo…we’ll miss you.”
Other members of the Skycleaner had gathered and were saying their farewells. Ron, the new Scavenger, walked over to Lucy, rubbing the back of his neck.
“Hey…I heard you were going too? Look…uh, thanks for helping me with the sled today. Good luck, and…uh, be careful.”
Archimedes walked up to Maya and crouched in front of her.
“Maya. Listen to me carefully, it’s dangerous out there.”
“I know Archime-“
“Listen to me. When we’re out there, you listen to the others. You listen to us all. If something goes wrong, you find Heat, you keep close to him. Heat! Come here.”
The large Scrap lumbered over, tapping his claws together.
“Leaving?”
“In a moment. While we’re out there, if anything happens, you protect Maya.”
“Protect…Maya.”
Archimedes grabbed Heat’s head and pulled him close.
“No matter what happens to me, you keep Maya safe! You don’t let anything bad happen to her!”
Heat nodded vigorously, and then pointed at Maya.
“Heat keeps you safe! Heat promises!”
Archimedes straightened his backpack, and headed to the end of the garage. Rosa, Scotts, Boris, and Lyle stood. Rosa didn’t make eye contact, hugging her elbows. Scotts and Boris stared silently at the old man. Lyle stared at him for a moment, the two standing toe to toe. Lyle held out a hand. As they shook, the engineer forced a smile.
“Don’t die out there, old man.”
Archimedes smiled.
“Keep this place running till we get back.”
Archimedes took a few steps out of the garage, boots crunching in the snow as he took a breath of the freezing air. He turned to face the assembled group. Heat hopped up and down excitedly. Archimedes adjusted his fur hat and then waved a hand.
“Let’s go everyone. We have a Key to find!”
“YAAAAY!”
Heat gave a crackling shout of joy and practically skipped out of the garage. Sliding to a halt a few feet ahead of Archimedes, he vigorously waved his hand
“GOODBYE! GOODBYE!”

Julian stared out across the bleak Wastes. Rose stood next to him, her eye scanning the horizon as well. "It hasn't changed much...." Rose said.

"Really? How long has it been?" Julian looked down at the elaborately dressed figure now walking in front of him.

"Many years."

Julian sighed. Any definite age she might have had, she wasn't revealing.

"Mister Julian?"

"Yeah, what is it?"

"Humans... they're always resourceful, correct? Think we'll be able to find some shelter?"

"If we can live up to how much faith you seem to have in us, then sure." Julian turned his attention to Archie. "Hey, old man. You doing okay?"

"Better than most old men, I assure you." Jullian smiled, the biting cold chilling what little was exposed of his face. He raised a hand to his chin, thinking. While they were out here, they would have to travel quite a distance to find more food,though in the remains of major cities they should have no problems with that, and the snow could be melted to obtain water. Most of the polution of the old world had long since been stripped from the atmosphere.

Rose stumbled in front of him, and Julian leaped to catch her, though they both went down, as Julian hadn't even thought of how heavy Rose would be. They both fell face first into the snow, and Julian lied there for a minute, sighing. "You alright Rose?"

"Fine... thank you for attempting to help me..." Julian got up, and heard Maya's tittering laughter. Rose stood up, and began brushing the snow from her dress. Julian smiled, balling up some snow.

"Oh, Ma~ya!" Juilain sang, launching the ball of snow at her. In a fit of laughter, she ducked and started throwing snowballs back.

"Would you two grow up?" Duo said, sighing. "This I expect from Maya, but you Julian, I'd think you'd be more mature...."

Julian snorted. "Yeah, sure Mom, I'll behave." Julian raced over to Duo, tackling her. "I would think, Duo," Julian whispered in her ear, "That we wouldn't want Maya knowing how bad it might get... If she gets bogged down, then she might fall prey to the bitter cold."

Duo eyed him, before pushing away. "AUGH! I give up..."

Maya was skipping through the snow next to Heat. "Snowballs are fun, Heat! But they have such a simple name! Such wonderful things should have a better name! Like, happy-funtime-spheres! Yeah! That's what I'll call them from now on!" Maya gasped.

"Maya is creative!" Heat replied.

"Indeed, Maya! Your young cranium seems to be filled to the brim with such fantastical ideas, yet they continue to flow! How admirable!" Vangelios chimed in without warning.

"Oh, hi! Hey, you seem very excited about this, huh, Vangelios?" Maya giggled.

"Oh, most certainly! I am sure it is my destiny to aid everyone here in any way that I possibly can! And I will do so with great enthusiasm!" the scrap proclaimed with a dramatic pose. Maya blinked at him for a moment.

"Yeah!" she squeaked, imitating the pose. Heat glanced at the two in a confused manner, then he too tried to copy the pose.

"Maya! You, Heat and Vangelios, stop playing around and get moving!" Ishild warned.

"Okaaay!!!" Maya called back, picking up her pace.

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Duo walked along the others, her head hung down, quiet for the first time since she had come to the skycleaner, her farewell to Kilo replaying in her head over and over like a bad song that wouldn't go away.

[I]"What pissed you off enough to do this to your hand of all things, you use your hands above all else yet you got so mad that you actually injured one? That's really rare for you Kilo."
She didn't notice the small smile playing on his lips as she said his nick name.
"Just alot on my mind Duo."
She looked down at him arching an eye brow before she looked away as she bandaged his hand.
"So...your staying?"
"Yeah, who else is gonna come and bail you out when you get stuck in the snow?"
She smiled but the smile never reached her eyes, she finished with his hand but didn't let it go. She hated to think that this might be the last time she would get to see the young man.
"K-Kilo, do me a favor will you?"
"Hm?"
"Look after Rosa, help her when you can..."
"Duo I know squat-"
"I know your no doctor, but it doesn't take a lot of know how to boil rags and ice for bandages and clean water."
He nodded slowly finally realizing she still had a gentle hold of his hand. Looking up at her he saw her eyes glisten with unshed tears.
"D-Duo...you okay?"
She met his eyes and let a quiet sob escape her lips as she hugged him tightly.
"I'm gonna miss you Graham. Your my best friend..."
She didn't see the small hurt face he made as her words left her mouth, she released him and took off the small cross necklace from around her neck and hooked it around his.
"Duo...this is, I can't-"
She put a finger to his lips silencing him.
"Yes you can. Please? So that way no matter what happens you'll never forget me."
He looked at the cross and than at her.
"Duo I-"
His words were cut off and his eyes widened as her lips met his softly.
"I love you Graham. Please take care of everyone for me. I love you...Bye."
She spun around and ran out of the room before he could regain him self and say anything, she didn't want to hear him reject her. Not when there was a chance she wouldn't be coming back.
[/I]
She sputtered and looked up as a snowball hit her in the side of the head, a smile spread across her face as Maya giggled.
"Come on Duo! Your falling behind!"
Duo caught up easily and looked down at the little girl noticing a light blue tint to her lips. Taking off her jacket she slung it over Maya's shoulders ignoring the bite of the cold around her. Reaching into her pack she pulled out a pair of long gloves and slipped them on, they reached her upper arm and effectively kept the bitter cold off most of her skin.
"Thanks Duo."
She nodded and just as she was about to think about her goodbye to Kilo the girl piped up again.
"He loves you too Duo, don't worry. I can see it in the way he looks at you. Your special to him. You'll see him again."
Duo blinked and smiled.
"You know what Maya, your a little to smart for your own good."
She ruffled the girl's hair fondly and laughed as she frowned up at her. Her spirits lifted she looked around at the group that was formed. A bunch of misfits. But it worked. She took a deep breath and began to sing a song that Rosa had taught her, Maya looked up excited.
"Bink's Sake?!"
Duo nodded and smiled as Maya joined her, their voices ringing along the surroundings, Duo's heart feeling a little less heavy.[/FONT][/COLOR]

(Bink's Sake is a song from One Piece)

[SIZE="1"]Grettel followed Archie, surveying the wastes with a slight sound of surprise. She rarely if ever went outside the Skycleaner, so the sight was always a tad astounding.

She turned to see Maya seemingly playing with Vangelios and Heat, the three striking ridiculous poses before being reprimanded by Ishild for their odd behavior. She tilted her head curiously before turning around and walking faster, being careful not to look back at the massive hulk of the Skycleaner as she adjusted her large scarf, wrapping it around her neck a few times before tucking the end under her thick scruffy coat.

The repair scrap shook her head at all of the mixed emotions in the air. Why were humans so confusing? It was a wonder they got anything done at all with all of their outbursts and behaviors she thought, crunching through the thick snow.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ishild smiled as she heard the song that Maya and Duo sang together. She joined in, which got her some stares from Zlota and Lucy. After the singing stopped, Zlota started singing. Which surprised Ishild, since Zlota is one that prefers sign language and body language to speech. However, she also prefered song when it fit the mood. And this one definitely fit the mood.
"So much to live for, so much to die for. If only my heart had a home..." Zlota sang.
It went on, but that was what stood out to Ishild. She would have joined in, but the song was too old and too sad. Probably because it fit in too well with how they all felt. Ishild felt a chill go down her spine, however it wasn't only thanks to the cold. She covered up a bit more still though, and walked over to Maya.
"Hey, Maya. How about an encore of Bink's Sake? Or what about another song?" Ishild suggested. They seriously needed something to brighten the mood right now.
Maya let out a giggle.
"Ishi, should we?" Maya asked.
Ishild however, was a bit confused for a second. Soon though, she caught the mischievious look in Maya's eyes and they both started singing.
"Just take it from me, I'm as free as any daughter. I do what I like, just how I like, and how I love it!" Maya sang.
"I'm right here to stay, when I'm old and gray! Living in the sunlight, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time!" Ishild continued.
And both Maya and Ishild were having a wonderful time. Probably too much of a wonderful one, since they got a lot of stares. However, neither of them cared. Ishild realized the seriousness of everything of course. But just like the snowball fight before, they had to have something to keep everyone's spirits up. Because who knew how soon it would all come crashing down and hopelessness would settle in...
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Archimedes was a ways ahead of everyone else, and staring at a small metal compass, alongside what appeared to be a very old map. Staring down at it, he confirmed they were heading in the right direction. The sound of singing reached his ears, and the old man smiled to himself with a small chuckle. It was a long journey, he was happy that everyone was trying to keep spirits up. He waited till everyone caught up to his location, folding the map and pocketing it.
“We’ll head to the outskirts of Scavenge City, and take shelter there for the night. We can’t travel at night, the temperature drops even lower, and its pitch black out here.”
The singing died down and Archimedes suddenly whirled on the girls.
“What nonsense is this!? Why has the song stopped?”
“You were talking!”
“Nonsense! An old man’s demented rumblings mean little! All of you, sing! Come along now, this isn’t all fun and games!”
Maya giggled at the antics of the old man, who was twirling his long beard and rolling his eyes as if truly touched in the head. As the song started again, the old man joined in as the team marched onwards. Heat tapped his claws, but couldn’t manage to follow the words. Wracking his mind, he remembered a song Archimedes had sung to him a few times while trying to improve the Scrap’s vocabulary. His voice suddenly bellowed out over all the others, causing a few to jump.
“ITSY BITSY SPIDER! UP THE WATERSPOUT!”
“HEAT! SOFTLY!”
------------------------
The temperature had dropped quite a few degrees as the group meandered through the snow filled ruins of Scavenge City. Called such since it was the main supply of junk for the Skycleaner, it had long been cleaned out over the years. Zlota kicked open the bent door of the building they had chosen for the shelter. As the group stumbled in, Archimedes glanced back at Heat, who stared through the very tiny doorway that was far too small for him. Vangelios had barely managed to squeeze his own girth through the frame. The group looked around and Rose pointed out a large garage opening in the back.
“This place was probably a warehouse.”
“Heat, move around through the back, we’ll let you in there!”
“Ok!”
Heat’s crunching footsteps receded as he rounded the large house. Archimedes kicked at a spot on the ground that was fairly dry, unrolling his sleeping mat. Lucy looked at him.
“Isn’t this place too cold?”
Archimedes smiled. He never seemed fazed by Lucy’s brutal honest and bluntness.
“Sadly, in the Skycleaner we had the steam pipes heating the place above freezing, but there’s nothing to burn for a fire. We’ll need to huddle together to keep warm. If it was just me, it wouldn’t be that big a deal, but noooo, everyone insisted on coming along.”
He looked up and was surprised to see a couple faces looking rather hurt.
“We didn’t want you to go alone! The thought of you huddled on the floor here…by yourself.”
The old man immediately cursed at himself in his head. He quickly smiled.
“No, no! I was just kidding. I’m very happy that you all came along, really I am.”
“Really?”
“Absolutely! I wouldn’t have it any other way. The only reason I didn’t want anyone to come along was because I was worried it would be too dangerous. I didn’t want to be burden to everyone.”
As the sleeping rolls were unpacked and the others began to pull out the dinner for the night, Archimedes, along with the help of Rose and Zlota, pried open the garage door in the back to allow Heat’s massive frame into the warehouse. Archimedes sat down, leaning his brass pipe against his shoulder as he stared at the dried bread and cured meat, along with a canteen of water. He gave a sigh.
“Almost makes me miss the mess hall…”
Duo nudged the old man.
“Got a craving for some of that oatmeal?”
Archimedes shivered, making a wonderfully disgusted expression.
“Oh God no!”
Several chuckles echoed in the large warehouse.
------------
They watched from the roof of a ruined tower, staring intently at the warehouse the wanderers had entered. Long trailing pieces of cloth wrapped around their joints kept the gears from freezing in the weather as the 5 sentinels stared silently at the prey that had just wandered into their territory.
Not tonight. The darkness was a disadvantage to these predators. Dawn. When their eyes could see, but the prey was still sleepy from their rest.

That would be when they die.

((Everyone and anyone, don’t be shy to talk to me if anything was portrayed inaccurately, anytime at all… ever))

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Vangelios’ lens scanned everyone as they bellowed in laughter. It was not something Vangelios had seen very often, in his experience humans only really broke from their stoic nature when something precious was in danger, that’s how it was in the war. The sharp expletive Archie made in response to Duo’s offer caused quite an uproar, though it was most obviously a positive one. In efforts to elevate the humans state of elation, Vangelios attempted to mimic Archie’s humorous remark. “Oatmeal is quite undesirable,” Vangelios stated, however, his words were met with a nod rather than a chuckle.

The party continued to converse as they dined on their meal, while Vangelios quietly brooded within himself, and reflected on his interactions with the team. It is on this journey has had the most experience around humans since he was first reactivated.

As Vangelios tuned out the noise of the humans conversation, he could hear a static noise scraping in his mind, and beyond that it manifested itself into what sounded like an incomprehensible whisper. This small noise dwelled in Vangelios’ mind ever since he entered the shelter, but now he could focus on it clearly.
He flicked his rod against the metal hull of the area repeatedly never striking the same place twice. The noise rang out in an erratic chorus.

Almost as quickly as he began, Vangelios ceased his incessant actions, an turned to face the scavenger team. A few of the members looked back at him with puzzled expressions, so Vangelios decided to address the situation. “An omnipotent yet ineffable voice had surfaced into my consciousness,” he then marched as swiftly as his clumsy legs could carry him over to Archie.

“Is there any sort of mysticism that inhabits this environment?” Vangelios inquired, only to view a bewildered expression on Archie as he shook his head. Maya eagerly butted in, “Mister Vangelios if you can’t comprehend it, then how do you know those are voices that you hear.” Vangelios quickly turned to face her “Your curiosity is quite prudent mademoiselle, however, I must assure you of it‘s nature.”

Duo chuckled in response, “In my medical experience when you hear voices in your head and speak in riddles we call that being insane.”

Vangelios ignored the comment, as he could not determine whether it was meant to be insulting, or perhaps it was another example of the weird comedy style he had seen earlier.

With great anticipation, Vangelios waved his rod to point at each individual including the scraps. Everyone seemed rather unnerved by these sporadic movements, and Vangelios then realized that his acting up had no apparent benefits to discovering the origin of the situation.

He then prodded the air and addressed in his always emotionless voice “Your all going to get me, stay away… that was for humor, did I portray it well?” He didn’t want them to be concerned anymore, hopefully his joke fit with the style enough to return everyone to their high spirits.

"Oh, Maya I can hardly understand half the things you humans mean, so I'm positive it is a voice,"
Vangelios then barked an uncofertable sound which could be best seen as him trying to replicate laughter... very poorly.[/COLOR]