OtakuBoards

The Great Rebellion – Summit

Allamorph

[font="Calibri"]The champion of the Pokémon League has vanished. In his absence, prominent League leaders have seized the opportunity to increase and strengthen the Leagueâ??s control over the continent. As their grip slowly tightens, a small group of leaders has decided the League must be opposed and has banded together to protect the integrity of their disappearing way of life. The new League is unsympathetic to their views, however, and will brook no disagreement. War is coming.

[center]- - - - - - - - -[/center]
[b]The Great Rebellion[/b] is a joint venture by myself and Kei, and will be taking a much more realistic approach to the world of Pokémon. It also marksâ??technically, I supposeâ??my inaugural attempt at controlling an RP, so I expect to have a good time. However, that doesnâ??t mean weâ??ll be playing dictators. Both of us are highly story-oriented and welcome any creativity and coordination on the part of the players, so if in the course of the game you get an idea you want to try, run it by one (or both) of us and weâ??ll see if we can make it work.

The [b]Summit[/b] will be host to any information we feel might be wanted and probably a little extra besides, as well as, per norm, any and all general discussion between players. If the information seems to get a bit thick, donâ??t worry, you donâ??t need to know every little detail to enjoy the game. Just remember, itâ??s here if you want it. And if it isnâ??t, we can add it real quick-like.

Few notes beforehand:

First, this will be, as weâ??ve said, a story-driven game. Because of that, and because we expect our players (like us) have lives, the pace wonâ??t be demanding. Iâ??d much rather go a month to hit three pages than to break a thousand posts inside of a week. It leaves more room for creativity, I find. So if youâ??re worried you wonâ??t have time to keep up, you should be fine.

Second, I highly encourage inter-player interaction, whether it be through posts here, PMs, or IM conversations. Not only does that keep everyone on the same page, but it tends to lead to the spawn of more and cleverer (hee) ideas, and often someone will go â??you know, I hadnâ??t thought of thatâ? and weâ??ll get a whole brand new subplot out of it. Which is fun.

And lastly, this is a realistic approach, which means that certain previously established concepts will be different, or nonexistent. Sizes, for instance, will be somewhat exaggerated; a hundred-seventy pound man would kill a Fearow who attempted to carry him unless it was quite a bit larger, and a Tyranitar should really not be only an inch taller than myself, especially if it can cause earthquakes. Also, I work under the assumption that Pokémon are intelligent and capable creatures, and so the concept of them only being able to learn four â??movesâ?? just doesnâ??t jive with me. Even the â??movesâ?? themselves are a bit sketch; I figure if you have to tell your critter to â??use tackleâ?? then thereâ??s something very wrong.

Also people will die.

Have fun.[/font] Edited by Allamorph

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT=Calibri]Considering a) I'm the OP and b) I'm the co-leader,I figure I'm allowed a double-post to update info, since I can't very well do a delete-repost bump. :animesmil

For anyone who wants more resources, [URL="http://serebii.net/pokedex-rs/"][COLOR="Blue"]here[/COLOR][/URL] are [URL="http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page"][COLOR="Blue"]two[/COLOR][/URL] very useful assistants for those people (like me) who have at best a casual understanding of this universe.

Also a quick reminder, whether or not anything is "cleared", both [COLOR="DarkRed"]Kei[/COLOR] and I reserve the right to summarily reject any and all sign-ups for Sympathisers at our own discretion. Not to sound, you know, control-freakish about it, but it's not going to be an easy side to play, so we'll be looking for first if those characters fit the role and second if they'll be able to survive for long. And one or two other criteria which shall remain undisclosed.

Barring any unexpected turns of events, we will most likely start Monday.[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Allamorph][FONT=Calibri']First, this will be, as we?ve said, a story-driven game. Because of that, and because we expect our players (like us) have lives, the pace won?t be demanding. I?d much rather go a month to hit three pages than to break a thousand posts inside of a week. It leaves more room for creativity, I find. So if you?re worried you won?t have time to keep up, you should be fine.[/FONT][/quote]Just one thing, should you accept my sign up. =P I'll be holding you to this, cat. At least later on this year when my schedule becomes a bit more insane. Also, thanks for the links, because I literally know nothing about this stuff. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]And lastly, this is a realistic approach, which means that certain previously established concepts will be different, or nonexistent. Sizes, for instance, will be somewhat exaggerated; a hundred-seventy pound man would kill a Fearow who attempted to carry him unless it was quite a bit larger, and a Tyranitar should really not be only an inch taller than myself, especially if it can cause earthquakes. Also, I work under the assumption that Pokémon are intelligent and capable creatures, and so the concept of them only being able to learn four ‘moves’ just doesn’t jive with me. Even the ‘moves’ themselves are a bit sketch; I figure if you have to tell your critter to ‘use tackle’ then there’s something very wrong.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I pretty much came in expecting this, since it was implied that human lives were at stake and all. The most Team Rocket will ever do in-game is threaten to knock out your monsters and make you cry.

Pokemon stories always just worked better when the author ignores the RPG mechanics and makes a few rules for themselves anyway, I've always thought. The [I]Pokemon Special[/I] manga is great because it either ignores or justifies some of the odd game mechanics. In fact, it's where I stole the six-member party justification from. In there, it's a league regulation based on how much attention a single trainer can give a group of monsters. They still use the four move rule, and it still doesn't make sense, but not all your ideas can be winners.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]Also people will die.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]About time someone realized these things can attack people, too. :D[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]"Monster" is such an ugly ...UGLY word.

Why not use better terms like, life companion? Heart partner? Life partner? Lifelong companion?

*shot*

Anyway I hope a Lapras the size of a house isn't too big. I just like houses.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Calibri]I call 'em 'critters'.

[B]Edit:[/B] Also, [COLOR=DarkRed]Indi[/COLOR], both Roselia and Froslass are from the wrong generations. For an alternate to Roselia I might suggest the Bulbasaur, Oddish, or Bellsprout families (or also Chikorita if you don't mind losing the Poison-type so much) at whichever evolution you think'll work, but not really sure on Froslass's style (and I'm kinda sure you don't want Jynx :p) so [COLOR="DarkRed"]Kei[/COLOR] or [COLOR="DarkRed"]Raiha[/COLOR] or whoever might be better able to tell you.[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Snorunt and Roselia are both third generation?

Could she have some pokemon from Hoenn? or just the Froslass? Since that's just an evolutionary quirk and etc etc?

Although replacing with a Oddish is probably a good idea.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Could she have some pokemon from Hoenn? or just the Froslass? Since that's just an evolutionary quirk and etc etc?[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Well, Froslass is an alternate evolution of Snorunt, which is third gen to begin with, so it being an evolutionary quirk would be kind of a moot point. If we're set on an ice type, though, there are a few alternatives.

Sneasel is a secondary ice type, for example. People just don't remember it that well since they only learned one ice-type move in the second gen. There's also Delibird, but they tend to be gimmicky and not much use inside or outside of battle. There's still Cloyster and Dewgong, though.

Best options as far as I can see are:
Sneasel, who is part Dark-type and therefore good at underhanded tactics and fighting dirty.
Cloyster or Dewgong, who are part Water-type and can lend a little extra versatility to the party thanks to their fire resistance. Dewgong could probably also help if you need to cross a large body of water (I can't imagine Cloyster being fun to ride. Or comfortable.)

Here's what they look like if you're interested, Indi.
[URL="http://serebii.net/pokedex-rs/087.shtml"][COLOR="Blue"]Dewgong[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://serebii.net/pokedex-rs/091.shtml"][COLOR="Blue"]Cloyster[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://serebii.net/pokedex-rs/215.shtml"][COLOR="Blue"]Sneasel[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]I have a question regarding the interaction in-RP of the characters. Indi and I are both freelancers under the same gym (I believe), but most of the other players are with different leaders. How much interaction should we have, given we are in different parts of the same army?[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=darkblue][size=1]You definitely won't have to worry about character interaction. The way the story stands now, there will be ample opportunity for it, though some folks will come together more quickly than others.

Iss coo'. ;p *shot*[/color][/size]

[color=darkblue][size=1]Hey there. Kei here.

Double-posting to give you guys a heads up that the main thread will go live tomorrow, Sept. 21, at some given time. ;p

Following is a list of those that are free to post (subject to change): [b]Raiha, Korey, Ace, GuyYouMetOnline, CaNz, Indi, Miss Anonymous, RedJ, SunfallE[/b] and [b]Sangome[/b].

Thanks to all of you for signing-up. Have fun and if you have any questions, you know where to go. ;p[/color][/size]

Okay, my favorite non legendary pokemon is in the new diamond and pearl games... Yes, I know it would be forth gen.. but is there any way I could be able to get my porygon 2 to evolve into a Porygon Z? In the games it evolved with the dubious disk item so it wouldnt be that hard to write in to the story.

[FONT=Calibri]Since a Dubious Disk is found in Sinnoh in the games, and Sinnoh is at present an extremely isolated region, even if Dubious Disks were produced and sold Sinnoh wouldn't ship them beyond borders. The only trade Sinnoh currently engages in is basic goods.

So an evolution of Porygon2 early in the game is not going to happen, unfortunately. Down the road, we'll see.

Also, realistically the Porygon family is capable of wreaking major havoc anywhere, regardless of the specific evolution. You already have the second one, so I would much rather you shy away from overpowering yourself too much early on.

But like I said, down the road it might be possible. Keep it in the back of your mind, but for now, no.

Also, I'd like to mention to the players in general, please don't focus so much on quick, rapid evolutions to get heavy hitters and what. Helps in the games, I know, but this ain't the games, and we don't really have a quantifiable finite way to say "this is when they evolve", so play smart and play well.[/FONT]

[color=darkblue][size=1]Well, Al beat me to it. But yes. Essentially what he said.

It's more important in this game to work with what you have and do it smartly than to try and become overtly powerful and put a mark on your back for various reasons.

Also, godmodding ftl. ;p[/color][/size]

did you read my bio? i got lost oin friggen victory road! I think my charicter is pretty far away from being overpowered... he has just done a lot of things already. and i dont care if it takes a while... i wasnt planning on doing it right away anyways, its just something id like see happen if it could.

also.. i know the pokemon i have are in final stages... i didnt do this because i wanted a heavy hittng team, i just wanted them to show they were with my charicter for a long time. my plan for the story actually was to have one or two of them die, sadistic as that sounds. some one has to lose for this war to mean something.

[FONT=Arial][COLOR="DarkRed"]SunfallE[/COLOR], welcome in. Good to see you.

However, I have to point out that Celebi is considered a legendary pokémon and is not actually obtainable (except in the games), so unless you can give us this absolutely massively awesome, stunning justification on how Allan gained control of the Guardian Spirit of the Forest, you'll have to replace that one.

[I]*chuckles*[/I][/FONT]

[quote name='Sangome'][FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="#862A51"]My idea: he's Ash Ketchum reincarnated.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]That's great, now use the Thunder as armor and aim for the horn so we can finish it off with False Swipe.

Maybe after that my Arbok can evolve into Seviper.[/FONT]

[quote name='Sangome'][FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="#862A51"]My idea: he's Ash Ketchum reincarnated.

*maimed*

Seriously though, I was wondering about that. XD I'm sorry, I couldn't help but giggle...*giggles and pats Beth*[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="times"]*continues the maiming*

One could say that the spirit of the divine has chosen Beth's character. Not the other way around. And as such Beth's character is more owned by the Celebi than the other way around, so in essence, Beth's signed up as Celebi toting around a human just for giggles.[/FONT][/COLOR]